LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » on flagyl, herxing bad; need feedback from others

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: on flagyl, herxing bad; need feedback from others
saved10
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saved10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been on doxy and clarithromycin for 4 months, doing pretty good even though I hexed a lot.

The Dr. switch me to Flagyl for 2 months, I'm a month into it....a lot of hexing, I feel like I've gotten worse! I see the Dr. in 3 weeks. Anyone go through something like this????

I just want to crawl in a whole someplace

[ 07-27-2009, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: saved10 ]

Posts: 200 | From Nevada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Tindamax threw me for a loop .... it's a cyst buster like Flagyl is. Rough meds.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What you describe is very normal. Some people tolerate tindamax much better than flagyl so you might want to ask your LLMD to switch you to tindamax.

Also, are you only on flagyl. Usually flagyl or tindamax is used in combination with other ABX but not alone.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saved10
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18413

Icon 1 posted      Profile for saved10     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, i'm on a abx.... Thanks for responding!!!!
Posts: 200 | From Nevada | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
saved,

may i suggest you show in subject line...

on flagyl, herxing bad; need feedback from others

just click on pencil, 3rd box to right of your name to open up subject line and text area. then you'll get the attention of those on flagyl now [Smile]

best wishes; better days, months, and years are coming, but not soon enough ... darn [cussing]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saved10
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18413

Thanks....I'v changed it!
pryorka
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13649

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pryorka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl ate my stomach up bad. So it can do that to some people just so you know to watch out for it.
Posts: 499 | From Indiana | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flagyl recently gave me some increased arthritis that I had not had in a long time, but once I was over the worst of the herx, it really got rid of a lot of other horrible symptoms. I'm going to try to keep taking it frequently. My LLMD thought that I could try this, since I don't seem to have liver problems from antibiotics and so forth. The arthritis eventually went away when I moved on to the next antibiotic. I'm now trying the second round of Flagyl.

My personal opinion is that Flagyl does more than make cyst form Lyme convert to spirochete form- I once took only Flagyl for another infection and it made my Lyme go into temporary remission.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Opinions vary on how much one should tolerate strong herxing, though- even though Flagyl is famously hard to tolerate, doesn't mean that continuing to tolerate unbearable herxing is what you should do.

I forgot to mention- I lowered my dose to one 250 MG pill and only took that at night, so that the worst misery would happen while I slept . That helped. I was taking it with Biaxin and other things.

Lymemd blog mentions that he sometimes prescribes only 250 mg or 500 mg once a day, which is where I got this idea. My LLMD didn't see a problem with it though he'd originally prescribed a higher dosage.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BugBarb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BugBarb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on ceftin 500mg twice a day and flagyl 500mg twice a day.
I was already herxing bad on ceftin. Can't wait for the misery to continue......

Awaiting the need for daily diflucan......

--------------------
Lyme is like the flu. You can get it and recover, but you can always get it again.

Posts: 607 | From (deer tick)Heaven! Angeles National Forest | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ruggie100
Member # 21415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ruggie100     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I started on 1/8 pill of flagyl. Then increased to 1/4, then to 1/2. By starting really low, i've tolerated it much better. not sure this will help.
Posts: 68 | From chicago, illinois | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
saved10
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18413

I take 3 pills a day of flagyl, 500mg and I take clarithromycin 500 mg 2 times a day.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ruggie100:
I started on 1/8 pill of flagyl. Then increased to 1/4, then to 1/2. By starting really low, i've tolerated it much better. not sure this will help. [/QB]

A VERY smart way to take flagyl! I took it in a similar fashion.

Flagyl can also cause terrible depression, so keep that in mind as far as your "crawling in a hole" symptoms!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BugBarb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 210

Icon 1 posted      Profile for BugBarb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think my mood will improve when I reduce my innumerable trips to the bathroom....that started the morning after I started taking flagyl a week and a half ago.
The doc, over the phone, didn't think the 'running' was related to the flagyl, but I think/know he is wrong.
It got better the day after I took diflucan and then went back to 'running' frequently.
I go to the doctor on thursday afternoon for a followup from the labs he took last visit.

--------------------
Lyme is like the flu. You can get it and recover, but you can always get it again.

Posts: 607 | From (deer tick)Heaven! Angeles National Forest | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stella marie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stella marie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tindamax & flagly game the sads [Frown] in BIG way. I was down the rabbit hole.

Luckily after a few days off the meds I was A-OK once again!

--------------------
Stella Marie

Posts: 694 | From US | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BugBarb:

It got better the day after I took diflucan and then went back to 'running' frequently.
[/QB]

Sure sounds like yeast.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BugBarb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 210

can yeast make you feel like you want to pee, but when you go it is pretty much a false alarm?

--------------------

MariaA
Member # 9128

that sounds much like a bladder/urinary tract infection.

Did you know that those are one symptom of Lyme? They've found Lyme spirochetes in animal bladders so it definitely takes up residence in that organ in some cases.

--------------------

Herbal Links Thread

AmyPW8
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11504

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AmyPW8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was doing the 30 day betaine HCL protocol when I started flagyl and I didn't even have a herx until I stopped.

That might help you. It is a wonderful detox!

--------------------
Amy

Diagnosed April 29, 2007.

Posts: 136 | From Joplin, MO | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement