LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Avon Skin So Soft Bug Expedition?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Avon Skin So Soft Bug Expedition?
kreynolds
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15117

Icon 5 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey,

Was just curious if anyone uses this product to repel ticks....

Our son is starting Pre-School next week and we are trying to find the best product out there.

Like most schools, he will be around wood chips, grass etc...

He already has Lyme and Bartonella and we are trying to prevent anything from happening.

Thanks!

Roy & Katie

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

While I have never used it myself, I have heard from 'those in the know'... that this is a great product!

You may also want to look into the clothing spay that lasts for several washes... can't remember the name right now, but I bet others will know.

Good luck to the little one and to Mom and Dad in getting through those first day blues. [Smile]

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie Reber,

Thanks for your reply.

I think I had seen a post on here about the Avon Skin So Soft Bug Expedition, but wasn't sure of the exact name.

Yeah that spray sounds great!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i used to use skin so soft too!!

PREVENTION TIPS !

CLOTHING PERMANONE IMPREGNATED INFO from Tincup 10-06
I spoke with the tick expert folks at the conference.. who were from Aberdeen Proving Grounds in Maryland.. great people helping our military men and women!

They showed me samples of permanone impregnated clothing. I smelled it to detect odors.. which there were none.. and felt it. Looks, smells and feels like the real thing.

You (civilian) can order clothing now.. like what the military folks wear to protect themselves... but it is prettier. It has the tick stuff already in it, so no mess at home doing it yourself. It is for sale at the site below.

Also.... Aside from the best protection you can get... it saves money .. as the cans of spray to treat clothing can run from $6 - $8 each.. and only is good for 2 weeks.

There is NO scent... so it is good for chemical sensitive folks and hunters in the woods.

The site below shows a selection of women's clothing.. and if you look at the top of the site.. you can click on buttons for men's and children's clothing. Christmas is coming. http://tinyurl.com/39nukx

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Below is from LYMEBYTES 5.31.08

Clothing insect repellent good through 70 washes:
Video that explains it: http://www.buzzoff.com/Video/default.htm

Where to buy it & Testimonal's: http://www.buzzoff.com/CMSContent/Default.aspx
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Insect Shield repellent clothing line: http://www.exofficio.com/default.aspx same as TINCUP's above!

PREVENTION CLOTHING; newbie MicheleH....taking VITAMIN B1;
Take vitamin B1 daily. Its a trick of the trade. It makes humans emit an odor that the ticks don't like but humans can't smell. Other than that just try to avoid high grass areas, standing under trees (we use machette's to get to where we need to go) That is about all you can do. Hat is very important.

Prevention is the Key for Tick Borne Disease by Lucy Barnes, activist
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=018344#000004

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info bettyg, very helpful!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

alliebridge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alliebridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RE: Skin So Soft Expedition

A well respected LLMD told me once that only DEET can be trusted to do the job really well (after I had been inquiring about alternatives to DEET).

Posts: 366 | From MA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Doesn't the Avon Skin So Soft Bug Expedition contain DEET?

I am pretty sure it does...

Thanks for the reply!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Faith6
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith6     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD recommended 'Skin So Soft Bug Guard Plus with Picaridin'. Has anyone tried that?

--------------------
"His faithful love endures forever." Psalm 136

Posts: 189 | From MN | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have several shirts - socks and pants that
are the Buzz Off brand and it Works for mosquitoes
and suppose to work for ticks too--Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treepatrol
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 4117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for treepatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the above mentioned as with alot of products last about 2 hrs on a dry day .

--------------------
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
Remember Iam not a Doctor Just someone struggling like you with Tick Borne Diseases.

Newbie Links

Posts: 10564 | From PA Where the Creeks are Red | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it does you don't want to be putting DEET on your childs skin, only on his/her clothes and

shoes. It's a toxic chemical. But I don't think Sink so Soft contains it does, but I could be wrong.

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Thanks for the replies!

treepatrol,

Are you talking about the one product above your post or all of them?

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we use skin so soft- the original kind- works for mesquitos good, not sure about ticks but have not seen ticks too often unless high tick season.

but here in tx, there is always mesquitos and ticks. this year is REALLY bad from last yrs hurricains. has really done a number on the ecosystem balance. we have treated out yard and the bayou side, frontline always, and ticks have been less.

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

MY3BOYS,

Thanks for your reply! I have the original Skin So Soft, but was interested in this one.....

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We treat the clothes here. Also shoes, socks and hats.

Walmart use to carry it, now we can't find it there.

We found a similar product at Home Depot recently.

Hope the summer is going well for the family! [Big Grin]

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
drugstore.com carries REPEL, on sale now and free shipping

for txing clothes and gear only

not for skin

not sure if it can be used for very young children

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NJ...

Yes..

Brand name- Repel Permanone. FOR CLOTHING and GEAR- not the skin stuff.

Excellent stuff.

Spray it on clothes before you wear them and let it dry. It kills ticks that crawl across it, not just repels them.

It lasts about 2 weeks on clothing even through washings... and they said the treated clothes can be washed with baby clothes.

For skin applications, which I rarely do but have to sometimes... I use the Avon Bug Expedition- spray- and get the UNSCENTED.

I've tried nearly every product out there over the years and by far this is the best combo I've seen.

Both these products are unscented and the guys will use them when hunting.. you know.. when they are only suppose to smell like nothing... or like they rolled in something dead.

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey BG...

I completely forgot about that article I wrote. Glad YOU are doing the thinking for me!

Here it is....

Prevention is the Key for Tick Borne Disease

Lucy Barnes

The prevention tips below may help lower your risks from exposure to ticks and help prevent you and your family from becoming ill from tick borne diseases.

1. Wear light colored clothing so ticks can be spotted easier and sooner.

Consider tucking your pant legs into your socks but be aware this may give ticks a direct and undetected bee-line straight to your head if your clothes aren't treated properly with Permanone.

Tie up long hair and/or wear a hat that has been treated with tick repellent.

2. Do tick checks often while outdoors and as soon as you return home.

Do a thorough tick check after your shower and again a few hours later.

Check your children daily and teach them to make a `tick check' a regular habit, like brushing their teeth. Be sure to also check your pets daily for ticks.

3. Try using a rough surfaced scrubby or wash cloth in the shower to dislodge any ticks that might not have attached themselves completely.

4. Shampoo that is designed to kill lice on humans may be used on occasion to kill ticks after a heavy exposure (example- after walking through nests of larval ticks).

Read all label directions before using lice shampoo products on your hair.

5. For most people, the occasional use of insect repellents isn't always enough to prevent tick exposure.

A clothing treatment, Repel Permanone, kills ticks and can be used by those who frequent the great outdoors.

Permanone can be purchased in a spray can for approximately $6.00 at your local sporting goods store.

Once treated, clothing may be washed and worn again for up to two weeks.

It is highly recommended for treating shoes, boots, backpacks, and all outdoor wear.

It has no scent so it can be used by hunters and those sensitive to perfume smells.

Ticks, chiggers, and other insects that are trying to crawl across properly treated clothing will die, not simply be turned away or ``repelled''.

Be advised, it can only be applied to clothing, NOT to your skin.

Permanone can also be sprayed on screens, some furniture, and around buildings foundations for additional protection.

Be sure to follow all safety precautions on the label and keep it out of the reach of children.

You may keep clothing that has been treated with Permanone in plastic bags with a dated tag for easy access and maximum protection.

6. Don't use fragrances that attract bugs, such as perfumed soaps, lotions, and creams.

Natural insect repellents like citronella, garlic, rose, and geranium oil can be applied to exposed skin for added protection.

7. Keep a bristle brush outside to brush off clothing when returning home.

Place all clothing directly in a clothes dryer and run it on hot for 40 minutes to try and kill ticks. Be aware that washing and drying may not kill all ticks.

8. Anything you can do to make your property less hospitable to deer, mice, and birds will have a impact on the tick population.

If you have a large yard or wooded area, consider creating a ``safe zone'' for you and your family.

You may not be able to prevent all ticks from entering the safe area but you can certainly reduce the numbers.

Deer fencing can be used to help provide the ``safe zones'' in your yard if desired.

9. Keep all grass cut SHORT so any ticks that try to hide there will be exposed to more sunshine and hotter, drier conditions.

Ticks tend to crawl up tall blades of grass so they are better able to latch on the innocent passerby.

10. Discourage deer and other wildlife from feeding in your yard by spraying 'edibles' with a garlic or hot pepper spray.

11. Keep playground equipment and play areas in sunny locations in your yard.

Do not use wood chips in play areas because it provides ideal living quarters for ticks.

12. Keep bird feeders away from the house to discourage mice (a favorite host of ticks) from gathering or nesting near or in your home. Set traps to remove mice from the home.

13. To treat your yard or other outdoor areas, a product called SEVIN (sold as a concentrated liquid or dust) can be applied.

Sevin seems to have the least offensive chemical odor and is recommended for killing ticks.

It can be applied to your dogs bedding area to help kill ticks that may gather there.

Carefully follow the directions on the label.

Sevin is usually less expensive than some of the other products on the market.

14. Acorns and berries attract white-footed mice and other wildlife.

Removing them from your safe zone might lessen the chance of additional tick exposure.

15. Depending on your property layout, you can create a barrier around the edges of the open grass where the wooded areas meet your safe zone.

Place a layer of wood chips 3 feet wide and 1-3 feet deep between your grass yard and the woods edge.

Ticks are attracted to the wood chips because of the shade and moisture it provides.

Treat the chips regularly with Sevin or Permanone to kill the ticks living in or trying to cross the barrier.

Be sure to keep pets and children out of the treated wood chip area.

16. Save the cardboard inserts from toilet paper and paper towel rolls.

Treat cotton balls with Permanone and place the cotton balls loosely inside the cardboard holders.

Place the containers along the borders of your property.

Hopefully any mice nearby will carry the treated cotton balls to their nest, exposing ticks to the treatment.

17. Consider making your pets either inside pets only, or outside pets only.

Studies show pet owners are more at risk for tick bites and contracting infectious tick borne diseases.

Remember, even if you don't roam in unsafe areas, your pets do.

They can carry ticks back into your house, exposing everyone inside.

Ticks can live for over 6 months without a blood meal and an adult female can produce 2-5 thousand off spring.

Some homes have been treated for tick infestation after female ticks laid eggs indoors, the eggs hatched, and the tiny ticks took up residence.

Be sure to remove ticks from your clothing before getting into your vehicle. This will prevent ticks from calling your car their home.

18. A special note to hunters- Check yourselves, your clothing, and your dogs before going home after a days hunt.

If you are lucky enough to bag a deer or other wildlife, wrap the animal in a treated sheet as soon as possible, or properly hang the deer over an old sheet that has been liberally treated with Permanone.

As the deer cools, ticks will drop off. As ticks land on the treated material and try to escape, they will die instead of taking up residence in your yard.

This will help to prevent exposure to your family, your pets, and other families in the neighborhood.

Deer meat or meat from other wild animals should be cooked thoroughly before eating.

When butchering or handling raw meat, disposable gloves should be worn.

19. Pets should be checked daily for ticks.

Consider treating your pets with one of several products designed to kill fleas and ticks.

Contact your veterinarian for more specific advise on the proper flea and tick control for your pet.

20. Consider removing shrubbery and flowers from the base of your house or treat those areas with Sevin to prevent ticks from being in close contact with your home.

Removing shrubs will also discourage animals from nesting or bedding there.

21. If you suspect you may have a tick borne illness, or are bitten by a tick, or have the classic bulls eye rash (which is present in only a small number of those infected), seek advise from a doctor who is a member of ILADS, the International Lyme and Associated Diseases (see information below).

If you or your children get flu like symptoms, joint pain, fatigue, depression, or any illness that does not resolve or returns after treatment is stopped, consider Lyme disease and other tick borne infections as the possible cause.

22. If you suspect you have Lyme disease or any other tick borne diseases consider the possibility this could cause problems for your friends or family members.

Spirochetes that cause Lyme disease have been found in breast milk, the uterus, semen, urine, blood, the cervix, tears, brain tissue, and other body fluids and tissues, so do take all necessary precautions to protect the ones you love.

23. If you are bitten by a tick, prompt and proper removal is essential to prevent the ticks fluids from being forced into your body.

To remove the tick, place tweezers as close to the skin as possible and steadily pull the tick out from the same direction it entered.

Clean the site with rubbing alcohol and cover it with antibiotic ointment to help prevent secondary infections.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

njlymemom,Tincup,

Thanks for the info! Will definately check it out!

I already purchased the Avon Skin So Soft Bug Expedtion and will look into the Repel Permanone.

I assume if it can be washed with baby clothes it should be fine to use,BUT I will check it out.

Thanks! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

lyme2health
Member # 19981

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lyme2health     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr. Singleton on page 34 of his book recommends avon skin so soft products and says the US military uses it!
Posts: 62 | From U.S. | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you all clarify whether you use the Avon Bug Guard with the Picaridin or the other ingredient...IR3535 (or some number like that).

I am trying to decide which would be safer for my young children. The label on the IR3535 product says that it doesn't need to be washed off, so I wonder if this one is a little safer. (I do plan on washing it off either way.)

Thanks,

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Hey Tick battler...

I'd have to check. The can isn't up here so next time I remember... you know how walking down stairs makes you forget stuff (HA!)...

I'll let you know.

[Big Grin]

Up for LaurenT..

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

maureen2174
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for maureen2174     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use the one in the green bottle with the IR3535. It is bug guard plus. I use it on my 4 year old son whenever we go to the park, a friend's house, when he goes to the babysitter, etc. The good thing is that it also has an SPF of 30 now. When we go to the beach or out in our boat I use the lotion with the IR3535 in it.

This stuff is amazing! It works so well and is also a good sunblock. I used to use the one with Picardin, but then I also had to use sunscreen for him too in the summer and we are outside a lot. So this stuff works as both a great bug spray and a sunscreen.

Posts: 871 | From NJ | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa1230
Member # 17525

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lisa1230     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Avon Skin So Soft bug repellants do not contain DEET. So if children fall asleep with it on them after a long day, you don't have to worry!
Posts: 51 | From Connecticut | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
janis1023
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15942

Icon 1 posted      Profile for janis1023     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I have used to repel those big Texas mosquitos and it works great. Seems if the mosquitos don't like it ticks would not either.

--------------------
3 Strains Mycoplasma and Chlymedia 2001.
After treatment fine for all 2004.
Major symptoms since 2005.
Diag Aug 2008 Lyme.
400 mg/d doxy
500 2/d Ceftin

Posts: 164 | From Texas | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement