LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » it's NOT lyme...its early alzheimers....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: it's NOT lyme...its early alzheimers....
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
go see pineladys post...it just makes me want to scream................

thanks pinelady...i couldn't figure out how to get the link

it's just soooo obvious....

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my ex-fil has lyme. he ended up dying in a veterans hospital with dementia.

it was really late stage lyme and he never got treatment.

his family tells everyone how sad it was that he had dementia..

this great man, who served bravely and had a long distinguished military record, was reduced to this because of not getting treatment.

sad really...

and my uncle has early alzheimer's, according to his wife, a nurse, but she is adamant that is no such thing as lyme.

all around, sad...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my mom too...she suffered so at the end. her arms were falling out of the sockets and they wrapped her from the outside cuz she wouldn't have survived surgery. some of the llmds who have been around a long time told me treating her at that late stage would be inhumane.

randi-do you know about the military lyme yahoo group?

--------------------

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://stcatherines.chsli.org/research.htm

http://www.lyme-disease-research-database.com/alan-macdonald-transcription.html

Maybe you should give the nurse the related research from Dr. Alan McDonald on autopsied brain tissue.

It is frustrating when people don't let it in..
If Borrelia is found in even a small fraction of these autopsied brains isn't it worth investigating further?

PS. I just got home from a BBQ and had a conversation with a gal who was a living with and taking care of woman with alzheimers. The whole time I assumed it was someone in their 70's or 80's when she said 59 it was shocking to hear.

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

i am not very able to do much except get mad right now. if anyone else can get the info where it should go i hope they do

be sure to add your comments to the link on pineladys thread

--------------------

Bugg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alzheimer's Disease: Vitamin D, Curcumin May Help Clear Amyloid Plaques
Article Date: 16 Jul 2009 - 5:00 PDT

UCLA scientists and colleagues from UC Riverside and the Human BioMolecular Research Institute have found that a form of vitamin D, together with a chemical found in turmeric spice called curcumin, may help stimulate the immune system to clear the brain of amyloid beta, which forms the plaques considered the hallmark of Alzheimer's disease.

The early research findings, which appear in the July issue of the Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, may lead to new approaches in preventing and treating Alzheimer's by utilizing the property of vitamin D3 - a form of vitamin D - both alone and together with natural or synthetic curcumin to boost the immune system in protecting the brain against amyloid beta.

Vitamin D3 is an essential nutrient for bone and immune system health; its main source is sunshine, and it is synthesized through the skin.

Deficiencies may occur during winter months or in those who spend a lot of time indoors, such as Alzheimer's patients.

"We hope that vitamin D3 and curcumin, both naturally occurring nutrients, may offer new preventive and treatment possibilities for Alzheimer's disease," said Dr. Milan Fiala, study author and a researcher at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and the Veterans Affairs Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System.

Using blood samples from nine Alzheimer's patients, one patient with mild cognitive impairment and three healthy control subjects, scientists isolated monocyte cells, which transform into macrophages that act as the immune system's clean-up crew, traveling through the brain and body and gobbling up waste products, including amyloid beta.

Researchers incubated the macrophages with amyloid beta, vitamin D3 and natural or synthetic curcumin.

The synthetic curcuminoid compounds were developed in the laboratory of John Cashman at the Human BioMolecular Research Institute, a nonprofit institute dedicated to research on diseases of the human brain.

Researchers found that naturally occurring curcumin was not readily absorbed, that it tended to break down quickly before it could be utilized and that its potency level was low, making it less effective than the new synthetic curcuminoids.

"We think some of the novel synthetic compounds will get around the shortcomings of curcumin and improve the therapeutic efficacy," Cashman said.

The team discovered that curcuminoids enhanced the surface binding of amyloid beta to macrophages and that vitamin D strongly stimulated the uptake and absorption of amyloid beta in macrophages in a majority of patients.

Previous research by the team demonstrated that the immune genes MGAT III and TLR-3 are associated with the immune system's ability to better ingest amyloid beta. In this earlier work, Fiala noted, it was shown that there are two types of Alzheimer's patients: Type 1 patients, who respond positively to curcuminoids, and Type II patients, who do not.

"Since vitamin D and curcumin work differently with the immune system, we may find that a combination of the two or each used alone may be more effective - depending on the individual patient," he said.

Fiala noted that this is early laboratory research and that no dosage of vitamin D or curcumin can be recommended at this point. Larger vitamin D and curcumin studies with more patients are planned.

The study was funded by the Human BioMolecular Research Institute, the Alzheimer's Association and MP Biomedicals LLC, a global life sciences and diagnostics company dedicated to Alzheimer's disease research. Fiala is a consultant for MP Biomedicals and also served in the company's speakers bureau.

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

that study is positive and exciting

--------------------

RDaywillcome
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 21454

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RDaywillcome     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have dementia and lyme encephalopathy but yet, I'm dismissed as having other problesm. I tested positive for lyme by cdc critera, had lesions on the frontal lobe and also had problems with my spect scan.

I at times in the beginning couldn't remember how many grandchildren I had. Guess what? It was only two at the time. It finally came to me with coaxing. My mind is much better now because of treatment.

I had problems finding places that I've know over the years and also had trouble knowing which way the blinker went for left or right, and also which was the brake or gas.

I can now tell you how many grandkids I have, and which way the blinkers go, and the brake pedals. This man does NOT have alzheimers! Please somebody do something that lives in the area.

I will call if you give me the family name. I didn't catch it on the news. Thanks

Posts: 1738 | From over the rainbow | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blaze
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody who has been told they have early Alzheimer's needs to look into 'electrosensitivity', as they likely are living close to a cell phone or wifi tower or antenna. Listen to the audio archives below especially...

Electro Hypersensitivity - Talking to Your Doctor
http://weepinitiative.org/talkingtoyourdoctor.pdf

German Doctors Unite on RF Health Effects:
http://www.powerwatch.org.uk/news/20050722_bamberg.asp

Audio Archives - Interviews with Top Researchers:
http://electromagnetichealth.org/audio-archives-and-more/#patients

Attitudes to the Health Dangers of Non-Thermal EMFs:
http://www.powerwatch.org.uk/news/20080117_bevington_emfs.pdf

Becker Interview:
http://www.energyfields.org/science/becker.html

Bioinitiative Report:
http://www.bioinitiative.org/report/index.htm

Search for towers and antennas here:
www.antennasearch.com

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

R said:

"I can now tell you how many grandkids I have, and which way the blinkers go, and the brake pedals. This man does NOT have alzheimers! Please somebody do something that lives in the area.

I will call if you give me the family name. I didn't catch it on the news. Thanks "

his name is Jay Jones and they live in Windsor CT

i sure hope they will see our comments

R-the thing about "the brake and gas" has me thinking. that hasn't happened to me...but there have been so many "elderly" accidents lately-ppl running into houses and store fronts ...it makes me wonder

for a long time i wondered about ppl who caused accidents when driving the wrong way on thruways etc...

i have experienced the getting lost thing and if i stay calm and just keep going eventually i see something familiar and get back home...but i'm on tx

i wonder if ppl w/o tx could progress to being the cause of the above type accidents

--------------------

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lpkayak:
some of the llmds who have been around a long time told me treating her at that late stage would be inhumane.

My mom was not treated for Lyme due to the same reason.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymieliveagain2007
Member # 13936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymieliveagain2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my 2002 spect scan resulted in an actual diagnosis of azheimers as well.

the dx code was clearly written at the end of the report which describes the damage shown on the scan. I was only 32 years old at the time. I was scared to death I had no hope of recovery.

the similarities between my lyme infected brain and alzheimers were boggling to my doctors.

my symptoms improve a lot with iv rocephin when relapse. I had a 5 year remission after aggressive treatment and tens of thousands of dollars.

my pcp office has stated many times I am the worst case of lyme they have ever seen.

unfortunately lyme being the great imitator makes ourhealth history "complicated"

I am one of the very lucky ones who has the full support of all my doctors and therapists.

Posts: 36 | From woburn,ma | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heleneh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heleneh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband was diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's by MRI the end of 2007 and I have low blood counts. In the last two months we have found he has chronic lyme as I do. It took so long to figure out what was wrong, after watching Under our Skin, I asked the doctor to run a lyme test. When he was positive I asked to be checked and the test was a definite positive for both of us. He is now on iv rocephin. Before the diagnosis he was on supplements and it has slowed it down a great deal. Is there anything else a person can do to help their husband with this diagnosis? He is still very functional. We just started the Rife machine too. Thanks for any ideas.
Posts: 140 | From Illinois | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

are you both seeing llmds? thats the first thing to do-and educate yourself-start with ilads.org

its very complicated-you really need a doc that knows whats/he's doing

--------------------

lymieliveagain2007
Member # 13936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymieliveagain2007     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
my llmd is Dr R of NY he did a tremendous job educating me and faxing an individal prorocol which my pcp followed.

Im sure this is why i regained a lot of function and had a long remission. i can recognize relapse and my doctors do what works for me. I am saving the money to see Dr R again as soon as possible.

My pcp started iv rocephin at my request and reviewing DR R website. My doctor WANTS to learn from my case to actually help people. They genuinely want me to feel better.

Posts: 36 | From woburn,ma | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heleneh
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heleneh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, we are seeing a LLMD. We may get a second opinion. It has been a rough with going to doctors and not getting a diagnosis. I figure we must have lyme at least 6-7 years.

My husband is on IV rocephin. He has been on it for about 4 weeks, though I don't notice much improvement. How long does it take to notice as improvement if it happens on this IV?

Posts: 140 | From Illinois | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heleneh it may take a long while to get the

improvements you look for. While most get sicker in

the beginning. You can get more info doing a search

here in search box for IV rocephin.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement