LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » "Whooshing" sensations in head...what helps?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Whooshing" sensations in head...what helps?
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,
Since I have not posted about my situation in many moons, here is a brief synopsis before I again ask my question.

I've had Lyme since 2000, been diagnosed with Babs, Bartonella, and M. fermentans as well. I've been under treatment with some of the best LLMDs since 2002. The list of sx I've had, and the abx and antimalarials I've consumed over the years is so numerous I won't try to list it all.

My present treatment regimen is Doxy, Omnicef, Mepron, Artemesinin, a monthy dose of Larium, along with many supplements and other meds.

Currently, my health is much better than in past years, but when I do have flareups, I experience a very unpleasant "whooshing" sensation inside my head. It feels a little like the ocean is roaring inside my head, and whenever I turn my head, the tides shift. Needless to say, this makes any movement unpleasant. At its worst, I can't even move my eyes without this happening.

This sx is usually accompanied by a low grade fever, blurry vision, motion sickness, and excessive somnolence.

I've had regular attacks of this ever since experiencing an especially bad episode of encephalitis about four years ago, which my LLMD said was caused by Lyme and Babesia.

Does anybody else have this, and if so, what helps you when it happens?

Anti inflammatories used to help somewhat, but years of NSAIDS have left me with a peptic ulcer that now makes that treatment out of the question.

I risked taking a few Naproxen last week when my chronic back pain became unusually severe, and was rewarded with intense pain in my chest and upper abd, accompanied by a few days of black stool due to my ulcer bleeding, So as I said, anti-inflammatories are a no no.

I would appreciate any insight!

Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you been treated for parasites? they play a big part in Lyme disease.

Do a search here on symptoms of parasites and you may be surprised,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
losferwrds
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
r u on a ssri, they can cause swooshing
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gael,
I did a search as you suggested. While I am open to pretty much any possibilities, I don't see how this one symptom points to a parasite infection. Apparently you have been treating yourself for parasites; was this "whooshing" a sx you had before your parasite treatments?

losferwrds: I am not sure where you got the impression I am on an SSRI; I am not. Even if I was, I had never heard of any causing this sx. Can you tell me where you got that info?

Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maryland Mom-

Sometimes Intercranial Hypertension can cause this whooshing sound in the ears:

http://www.ihrfoundation.org/intracranial/hypertension/info/C69

Doxycycline can cause Intercranial Hypertension.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1125522

Both links talk about whooshing in the ears. I am on Doxy and recently started having problems with my eyes and head pain. A friend shared the above link with me, and I have made an appointment with an eye doctor.

Intercranial Hypertension can cause vision problems, whooshing in the ears, etc. It can be caused by Doxy or other causes. I am not a doctor, so I am just sharing my experience with you in hopes it will help. It is worth checking out.

Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

MorningSong, thanks very much for your input! I appreciate the links.

I am on Diamox because my LLMD suspects IH also, but its benefits are minimal.

Although I'm currently on Doxy, that was added to my regimen pretty recently, while the whooshing has plagued me off and on for years before that, so it is probably not the Doxy in my case, I think. Unless being on Doxy makes me more susceptible to IH?

Anyway, thanks for the info. Hope you get your problems with your eyes resolved soon, too!

MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
huh, when i was on doxy the "whoosing" was much worse than it is now

now, only sometimes and when i lay down i happens..i have to move around until i can find a way /position for it to stop!! i very annoying!!

never looked into IH, but that is what it felt like!! Dr's dismissed the symptom..just another on the list of em.

zyflamend, b-12 supps have helped with symptoms for me...hard to tell if that one bc of it or from changing abt??

now on rocephin, cipro, plaquinel. do know the zyflamend supp. is prob the MOST benifical one and i can tell a diff. when i forget to take it!! seems like everything on the inside "flares"//hard to explain.

will have to keep the IH idea in back of my mind if that symptoms creeps back up on me like it used to be

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My son has whooshing in his ears. He does have pseudo-tumor cerebri (IH).

Family Practice Notebook has a lot of info on PTC.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pab-
Thank you for the link. A lot of good information. I have bookmarked it for further reference.

Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

That IS a great link, Peggy. Thank you.

Would you mind telling me what treatments give your son symptomatic relief?

pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We tried Diamox first and it didn't work for them. Lumbar punctures were the only thing that reduced their headaches. Last year they had shunts (VP, LP) put in. The shunts have reduced their headaches some, but they still suffer every day.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eliz428
Member # 21509

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eliz428     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the same issue at the beginning of this year for almost a month. The only thing I found that helped a little and also with the motion sickness that would accompany it was to take generic non-drowsy motion sickness pills from the drug store.

I think the med in them is called meclizine? I was taking them all day. My sx were worse when I walked into a new environment. New light, sound, smell would always exacerbate it.

I remember how it felt. I hope you find some relief.

Posts: 43 | From Upstate NY | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Wow, Peggy, I'm so sorry your kids have had to suffer so. It must be hard on all of you. I will be praying that you find a permanent solution that alleviates their headaches. I know from experience that it's awfully hard to watch your children go through such trials.

Thank you again for using your experience to help all of us others here!

Eliz,
So you had it too, huh? I hope it's gone for good in your case!

When mine first started, the first solution my doctors tried was scopalamine patches, which are designed for motion sickness, along with Diamox for the increased intracranial pressure.

After a few weeks, I developed an allergy to the adhesive on the patches, so I was given a script for valium. I don't know that the valium alleviated the sx as much as making me so woozy I no longer noticed it so much!

I hated the side effects of the valium, so even though my doctor continued to recommend it, I stopped taking it. I didn't like feeling so sleepy and out of it all the time

Then I tried ativan, which is less strong and not as long acting as the valium, and helps for the nausea and icky feelings a bit, but does not touch the whooshing...which leads me here, hoping to find a different solution.

I really appreciate the info and the input everyone here has given me.

This site saved my life years ago. You're still the best.

ruggie100
Member # 21415

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ruggie100     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you find anything to end the whooshing, PLEASE let me know. Have had this since 2002 and today I am miserable with the whooshing. Can't turn my head...so off balance and can't think.....ugh!!
Posts: 68 | From chicago, illinois | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

So sorry you're so miserable, ruggie! If I find anything that works, I'll be sure to let you know.

If you are able to take anti-inflammatories, try taking a couple of large doses--the strongest you can tolerate--and see if that helps, if you haven't already tried that.

Unfortunately, that treatment is contraindicated for me because of a peptic ulcer, but that does help some people. I hope for your sake you are one of them.

Have an LLMd appt coming up in a couple of weeks, and I plan to take this up with him again.

savebabe
Member # 9847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for savebabe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How is your blood pressure? Sometimes heart and blood pressure fluctuations can cause this sound in your ears.
Posts: 1603 | From ny | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Good question, savebabe, but my BP runs consistently low--around 90/60, usually, 100/70 at the highest.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement