LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » taking a week off abx... Opinions??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: taking a week off abx... Opinions??
DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeafFromLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So many of you know I have had an extreme weight loss. After speaking to my Rheumy he "sort of" suggested I try taking a week off abx to see if I would feel better.

Now I know its not my LLMD suggesting this bu he is near impossible to get ahold of, so I think I will just go ahead and do it and see what happens.

I was wondering what any of you think about this? Is it stupid to attempt, or maybe will it do me some good? Been on Biaxin ER 1000mg and plaquenil 400mg daily for 5 months now.

Will I be taking a big step back by stopping for a week or does this sound OK?

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

www.24weekperfectbaby.blogspot.com

Son's blog born at 24 weeks.

Posts: 356 | From massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cindy Ss
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Erika,

I'm new to this Lyme thing and only on abx for 5th week but I just reread all of my ino from LLMD and it stated that the Lyme grows so slowly that taking 3-6 days off abx for your body to catch up is better than keeping your body in the run down.

I thought the same thing but had to stop my abx for just 2 days until I felt better. I just startted it yesterday and if I feel bad again I will give it another rest for a day or more.

According the LLMD this is called pulsing and I feel like it is a good thing. Especially since you have been on abx for so long.

HOpe this helps, just my thoughts, we will see what other more experienced folks say...

GOod Luck,

Cindy S

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think taking a few days off to see what's bothering you will affect you negatively. Use it for a time of detox.

Cindy, be careful stopping and starting like that. The abx need to get up to full potency when pulsing so that you don't encourage resistance. For example, I couldn't tolerate the full dose of zithromax, but my LLMD didn't want me to break the pills in half. Instead, he had me take it three days in a row to build it up, then stop for four days.

Taking meds for one day like that might not get them up to a high enough potency in your system. You might want to run that by your LLMD. His "3-6 day break" may not mean it's okay to stop and start like that. [Smile]

Abx will make you feel bad in the beginning before you start seeing improvement. Really focus on detox.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeafFromLyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18795

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DeafFromLyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Cindy and sixgoofy!

I apreciate your thoughts and maybe it will only take a few days like you for me to feel better! [Smile] I just want to see if my appetite will come back!

Thanks Again!

--------------------
Erika

IgM Band 23 +

www.24weekperfectbaby.blogspot.com

Son's blog born at 24 weeks.

Posts: 356 | From massachusetts | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definetly take a break! I have been in treatment for 15 months. I took a 1 month break after treating for 4 months. Then I recently just started back on treatment after taking an almost 3 month break(that is a long story and not really relevant to this). 3 months is a bad idea!

I was not in remission either time. But I feel better when I first get off antibiotics. However, it takes a couple of weeks to get them out of your system, so 1 week most likely won't be long enough. I usually feel better after being off of them about 2 weeks.

Of course everyone is different. Some people swear they feel worse in a day or two, but I have not experienced that.

I also just skipped my doxy for 3 days due to throat and esophagal issues. I didn't notice feeling any change for the better or the worse in those 3 days.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cindy Ss
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes thanks I will run it by LLMD again, I only spoke with nurse and she told me to take a few days off but I had been on DOxi for 4 weeks and had begun Ceftin with pretty severe anxiety herx after 4th day.

I did take 2 days off and am continuing the ceftin. It feels like elctricity is running in my body and xanax really doesn't help relieve too much.

I have received so much information from my LLMD that it all runs together at times. That was what I got out of it was tht as long as you were taking them if you had to pulse it was fine.

Maybe he was only speaking of the really tuff abx to take. Haven't gotten their yet...

Hope I didn't confuse you, so sorry..

Cindy S

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B12 IM really helps with the electric feeling. It works fast and a big relief for me.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robfar
Member # 20250

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robfar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
erika
this has been my worst symptom, loss of appetite, and i think it has caused the anxiety and depression that has seemed to come around in the last 2 months.

i have lost 15 pounds in 3 weeks. i do force myself to eat and seem to be able to maintain this lower wegith right now.

i too think about stopping my abx every day(iv zithromax) but then still do it(been only 2 weeks) i sometimes think the abx are the root of my problem(was on amoxy for a month, doxy for a week and cedax for ten days pprior to the iv)

there is nothing more scarey and depressing than not wanting to eat.

goodluck, i will follow your posts to see how you do off the antibiotics.

oh, in the last 2 months the only time my apppetite got better was when i was off the antibiotics but i always went back on following drs orders. still question it.

--------------------
rjf

Posts: 62 | From pt pleasant nj | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hatsnscarfs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6562

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hatsnscarfs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first time I tried to take a break (after 3 years of abx) I felt awful. Within days I had headaches, joint pain, fatigue. By the 3rd day the brain fog was so bad I went right back on abx and was fine. My LLMD assured me I would not have a huge slide back during a break. If I felt bad and resumed I would pick up where I left off. This was however after years of treatment.

After another year of treatment I tried a break again and was fine. I have ben off abx for almost 1 1/2 years. When symptoms start up a short course of abx does the trick.

I don't think breaks are a good idea early in treatment.

Once when I tried to add doxy to Plaquenil & Biaxin I felt so awful I had to stop the doxy. I kept going with P&B and a few weeks later added the doxy back in and had no trouble.

hats

Posts: 956 | From MA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have taken 2 small brakes. One for 3 days and one

for 5. Doc said if I got sick do it. I had temp.

and felt I had to. I felt better went right back

and do not feel like I had a set back. Do what you

feel is best for you.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement