LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » lyrica - anyone have reactions to this?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: lyrica - anyone have reactions to this?
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't know if what is happening is from this med or increasing malarone dosage.

anyone have reactions to lyrica? and if so what happened?

thanks

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
merrygirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12041

Icon 1 posted      Profile for merrygirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got very suicidal and had to stop.

went away after

Posts: 3905 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did, too. After first dose, I had a moderate allergic rxn. Also felt totally loopy.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peedie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
go to :
askapatient.com
type in Lyrica
learn from other people's experience.
Be careful - it doesn't actually treat your illness. Neurologists Rx it like it's candy.
-p

Posts: 641 | From So. CA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey Nj..........

I was on Lyrica....for sleeping ...helped tremendously with nerve pain and helping me to sleep......

but as I bumped up the dosage...I was getting really creepy dreams....

and felt very tired the next take....
then stopped it...
[hi] mtree

--------------------
worrying about tomorrow takes its strength away from today

Posts: 970 | From Point PLeasant , NJ | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soleil16
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soleil16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It helped me with sleep and at first it helped with pain. The longer I was on it, though, the less it worked for pain. We kept bumping up the dose and it was not enough.

The higher doses made me very dizzy and increased brain fog dramatically.

Be careful if you try to stop it. You'll need to titrate down. I tried to stop at a high dose when my doc refused refills, and I had terrible withdrawal with vomiting, shaking and hallucinations. Within 1 hour of taking a smaller dose that my pharmacy loaned me, I started feeling ok again. Very powerful stuff.

Posts: 236 | From Washington | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What kind of problems are you having?

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it was prescribed for sleep - not getting adequate "quality" sleep. it was supposed to make me more productive - help the fatigue - forget it!

i was getting, and when i stop lyrica i still get, what we think but can not capture on an eeg - seizures. i learned long ago - just b/c we can't prove it doesn't mean it is not REAL.

bear with me - having trouble typing

so i was putting up with the loopyness b/c i did not want the seizures

saw a new neuro 2 weeks ago - and he wants more $$$ tests $$$

lyrica (prescribed by other neuro) did nothing for pain - someone mentioned neurotin which i tried maybe 15 yrs ago with no positive outcome or help so i am not surprised tht lyrica did nothing too

i went off of it b/c i could not handle the smallest dosage w/out getting "loopy" the next day. was sleeping better - granted - but was not more productive at all - phone consult result -break the pill in half - which i did - and last night was frightful - heart racing and "wired" complete opposite of the usual reaction

very depressed and i am thinking that i am better off with the seizures -

i know i shouldn't be thinking this, but maybe a seizure would just end all this- sorry - just not in a girl scout mood

anyway - got feedback from 2 of my llmds - one is well versed in sleep disorders - sleep paralysis to be exact. he said that my mouth/tongue/throat being paralysed while sleeping (happened over a week ago)was NOT sleep paralysis but most likely due to damage to the cranial nerve. Which is what I thought, but usually keep my mouth closed to see what they say. I wonder if this is why alot of chronic lyme patients die in their sleep.

Sorry this is way too long. Just really at the end of my rope.

Thank you all - for your concerned replies...

i have made up my mind to stop it -

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes,

I was put on Lyrica and it made me very sick. It turned my stomach and it messed with my head.

I try to steer clear from any meds that deal with the Seretonin levels in the brain.

I found that all of the meds like Lyrica,Cymbalta, etc... did more harm than good in my case....

Hope all is well!

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi NJ

not in a girlscout mood...??...huh...I wonder why??? [toilet]

so sorry you are going through all of this...
just to get a good night sleep.... [shake]

scary stuff for you....

PM me if you want....you know I'm all ears!!!!!!!!

[group hug] mtree

--------------------
worrying about tomorrow takes its strength away from today

Posts: 970 | From Point PLeasant , NJ | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanda
Member # 14107

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amanda     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyrica has really helped me sleep, as long as I don't take to much of it at a time.

If I take anymore than 125 mg at a time though, I get this restless feeling in my legs where I have to move them almost constantly, but feel sleepy at the same time.

Its very unpleasant feeling.

--------------------
"few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" - Mark Twain

Posts: 1008 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found Trazodone to be very helpful for sleep. I had started at 1/2 25mg pill (I believe) & sometimes took a whole one.

My dad was taking Lyrica for nerve pain & I believe it took a couple of days to adjust to. When they tried to increase his dose, he was so messed up he couldn't even feed himself. It was very frightening.

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Ali - dose your dad still take the lyrica?

I didn't sleep all that well last night, but I feel awake this morning.

I have the heart racing and pain, but this started when i increase the malarone.

--------------------

cb

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lyrica works at first at a small dosage, as I ramped up it made me sleep more deeply, but the next day I was emotionally flatlined and completelly depressed.

Everything was without meaning on lyrica.

It turns down the electricity of you brain.

Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Sorry, I lost track of this thread. [Frown]
I hope you're feeling better. [group hug]

He still takes it but couldn't increase the dose.

He was having break-through pain mid-day. That was why they tried to increase it.

Instead they switched from 150mg twice a day to 100mg three times a day. That seemed to do the trick.

Some people metabolize it differently, I think. Some also can't really tolerate it at all.

When they stopped the Ambien-CR & switched it to Trazodone, it made a world of difference for him with sleep. He only takes the Trazodone at night.

How much are you taking?

--------------------

njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

i was down to 25mg and still not doing well the next day

have stopped it - but the seizure like episodes have started again

--------------------

cb

lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
wow
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement