LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Could I be poisoned by Cipro?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Could I be poisoned by Cipro?
electrolite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for electrolite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,

I took Cipro for 2.5 days last week for a foot infection. I stopped it due to bad headaches and dizziness. I have been off of it since Saturday, and I'm still feeling sick.

Could I be poisoned by Cipro? I think I was taking a high dose of it (500 mg 2 times per day).

Thanks,
electrolite

[ 08-07-2009, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: electrolite ]

--------------------
I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease in August 2007, but I now feel it was a misdiagnosis. I was finally properly diagnosed with Chemical Sensitivity in February 2011. My life has changed drastically since then.

Posts: 128 | From Dallas, Texas | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
groovy2
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for groovy2   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi ELectro -

Yep you can herx on cipro --I did --Jay--

Posts: 2999 | From Austin tx USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Faith6
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14072

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Faith6     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very sick on Cipro....2 straight months. I wonder if it was a continual herx or if my body just didn't like it. I still have some tendon pain much of the time....

--------------------
"His faithful love endures forever." Psalm 136

Posts: 189 | From MN | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It could be herx or you could be literally POISONED from this class of drugs. Keep that in perspective. They have dangerous side effect profiles. Adamm here said they were too toxic for him to consider. Something about being florod?
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
electrolite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16404

Icon 1 posted      Profile for electrolite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your responses. I am concerned about the "poisoned" aspect.

I started thinking about the two times I've used Cipro in the past. Both times, after only 5 days on the drug, I was really sick for months afterward.

Each time I had headaches combined with dizziness and vertigo that lasted for months (I can't even count how many months) after taking Cipro for only a short time.

I didn't realize this until now. What made me think about it is the fact that the same headaches with dizziness and vertigo are back after taking it last week.

Until I took Cipro last week, I hadn't experienced the dizziness, vertigo or super severe headaches for several months.

I just hope it doesn't last a super long time like it did before.

--------------------
I was diagnosed with Lyme Disease in August 2007, but I now feel it was a misdiagnosis. I was finally properly diagnosed with Chemical Sensitivity in February 2011. My life has changed drastically since then.

Posts: 128 | From Dallas, Texas | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terrible side effects for me. Lasted months for me. Fried my brain. The same thing with Levaquin, a relative.

Stay away if you react. I wouldn't go near the stuff if my life depended on it.

IMO,
CherylSue

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
electrolite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16404

CherylSue,

Are you all better now from the Cipro side effects? What side effects did you have? What do you mean by it "fried my brain"?

I am scared that these bad side effects will last for a long time for me again. Looking back, I think they lasted for over year the last time I took Cipro.

Thanks,
electrolite

--------------------

stoneyco
Member # 21586

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoneyco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Levaquin last April 2008 at a dose of 500mg for 2 days and it caused a toxic reaction to my central nervous system which caused the same symptoms as Lyme's disease. It didn't affect my joints or ligaments. I thought I was going insane so I ended up taking Xanax which caused more problems. I have been off Xanax for almost a year and it has been a wild ride. I was diagnosed with Lyme's 3 months ago and now taking antibiotics. I will see a llmd next week. Now I am wondering if the Levaquin caused a herxing reaction. I am such a complicated casse. Anyway, fluoroquinolone antibiotics (Levaquin, Cipro, etc.) are nasty drugs and I wouldn't take another one if my life depended on it.
Posts: 3 | From PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Everyone is different, but I will say that Levaquin was one of the best drugs hubby ever took. He is taking Factive now which is another fluroquinolone.

I think this class of meds works really well for those who have G.I. issues.

Hubby did not do well on IV Cipro, but started with only 250 mg oral levaquin for 2 months or so and then increased to 500 mg for another 3 or 4 months.

He has had much more difficulty with rifampin.

If you have bartonella, BLO or mycoplasma in your nervous system then just about any med that works on that could cause some strange and sometimes severe side effects in my opinion.

Natural things that might help include HH from Zhang and Cumanda.

This is not medical advice, just my opinion based on hubby's experiences.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
electrolite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16404

Hi stoneyco! What symptoms did the toxic reaction to your central nervous system cause? I think I have the same problem. I don't have any tendon or joint problems.

I just have a severe headache constantly and a dizzy, spinning sensation in my head constantly. I also feel like I'm off balance and my body sways sometimes when I can't stay on balance.

How long did you have the symptoms? I think that is the key. If something lasts for months or longer, it seems to me that it's an adverse side effect and not a herx.

As far as I know, a herx shouldn't last longer than a month, once you have stopped a drug. And a month-long herx is a pretty long herx at that.

electrolite [Smile]

--------------------

Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been searching on this site for info on Cipro.

Seems that dizziness, lightheadness, headache is common complaint of this medicine.
'

Do these side effects go away? Our daughter is starting this med and I am a bit worried.

Thanks, Jane

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 4 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cipro, Levaquin & Plaquenil all belong to a class of abx known as Quinalones. I'm allergic to all Quins and there's a high probablity that if you're allergic to one, you're allergic to them all. Please use caution.

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Plaquenil is not a quinolone. That is in its own class. Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox, and Factive are quinolones.
Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 14 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CD57:
Plaquenil is not a quinolone. That is in its own class. Cipro, Levaquin, Avelox, and Factive are quinolones.

CD57, thank you for the correction. Guess, I'm allergic to Plaquenil AND The Quins.

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement