LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » anybody getting stung? (bee venom and melittin)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anybody getting stung? (bee venom and melittin)
Dawn in VA
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was doing a different search on Pubmed when this popped up. We've heard about folks using bee venom for various illnesses, but I never knew what was in it that did the trick. This was kinda interesting:

1: Clin Infect Dis. 1997 Jul;25 Suppl 1:S48-51.Links

The antimicrobial agent melittin exhibits powerful in vitro inhibitory effects on the Lyme disease spirochete.

Lubke LL, Garon CF.
Rocky Mountain Laboratories Microscopy Branch, National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, National Institutes of Health, Hamilton, Montana 59840, USA.

Borrelia burgdorferi has demonstrated a capacity to resist the in vitro effects of powerful eukaryotic and prokaryotic metabolic inhibitors.

However, treatment of laboratory cultures on Barbour-Stoenner-Kelly medium with melittin, a 26-amino acid peptide contained in honeybee venom,

showed immediate and profound inhibitory effects when they were monitored by dark-field microscopy, field emission scanning electron microscopy, and

optical density measurements. Furthermore, at melittin concentrations as low as 100 microg/mL, virtually all spirochete motility ceased within

seconds of inhibitor addition. Ultrastructural examination of these spirochetes by scanning electron microscopy revealed obvious alterations

in the surface envelope of the spirochetes. The extraordinary sensitivity of B. burgdorferi to mellitin may provide both a research reagent

useful in the study of selective permeability in microorganisms and important clues to the development of effective new drugs against lyme disease

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is interesting.

I know for some reason I feel better after getting a bee sting.

Who knows why?

But this is something to consider.

Thanks!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting. My guess has been the bee venom therapy works by shifting immune system action such that we don't get lyme's autoimmune-like symptoms.

The sad thing about this article is the year: 1997, and apparently nothing useful has come of it in the following 12 years.

Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nessa143143
Member # 20340

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nessa143143     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Isn't there something you can buy that contains bee venom or something? Is it just to ease symptoms or does it work to fight the Lyme? I never looked too much into it.

Wow, we need researchers bad. And the sad thing is, I doubt it will EVER be in time for any of us. There needs to be an easy way to treat this, but with the way bull's eye rashes don't pop up on most of us, it's hard to know to treat until it's so far gone. But still...it's dang bacteria....we should be able to outsmart it.

Posts: 63 | From Hell - Or at least it feels like it, Oh, I mean Tampa, FL. OOOps! :D | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dguy and nessa- agreed!

--------------------

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm. Too bad I'm allergic to beestings.

Do you think the little spirochete demons make you allergic so you can't take bee venom to kill them?

Wouldn't put it past them.......

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Littlesprout
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7406

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Littlesprout     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was doing the BV injections but had to stop because they hurt like a MoFo. The guy in Canada, who supplies Dr K, says to work up to 10 shots 3x per wk. That was too much to handle at one time so I broke it down to 5 shots every day

But after a couple of months, from start to finish, I stopped all together. Can't really say it helped all that much, the pain wasn't worth it.

Posts: 315 | From USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

10 shots thrice weekly?! You are a brave soul!

--------------------

psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
check out Venex bee venom ointment. It contains the active ingredient, mellitin. I got mine at www.dancingbeeacres.com or you can buy it directly from the maker at www.beevenom.com. You apply it topically. If you're allergic to bee stings, you can't use it.

It's helped me a lot. There are a few threads about it here if you do a search.

Patti

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got stung by a wasp on the foot about a year into

being sick. I was laying down and got up and

stepped on it. I had to run to the drug store and

sit out in the car while I called the pharmacy

and told them to give my daughter the strongest

they had for allergic reaction to stings. I

popped the benedryl tabs in the parking lot as I

was having chest tightness and foot was so big I

could barely walk. I know wasps are different but

use caution in case your system sets you up for

extreme allergic reactions from the borrelia.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had the life threating allergic reaction to stepping on yellow jacket next when a child

was not stung again until last summer when red wasp got me 3x on upper thigh (nice place huh? was coming in from swimming..lol...talk about dropping ur pants at urgent care !!)

anyway...within 1mo. of that all the severe neuro stuff hit like ton of bricks. and all my dr's thought for sure was MS.

my mom thinks the wasp sting sent my immune system over the edge and let any semblece of my immune system trying to fight this lyme war- body defeated !! i do agree with her...funny though...all the dr's dismissed this as causitive. even LLMD. (but, maybe because we are nurses we just think different and realize the full body impact more?)

gonna say bee venom out for me

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
truckboss
Member # 15457

Icon 1 posted      Profile for truckboss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when i was 19 i landed on a nest of yellow jackets, i got close to 400 stings. after the first 100 it didnt hurt anymore,lol, felt like i was high for 4 days.
3 weeks ago i got stung by 1 yellow jacket right in the center of my back, right on the spine.
i thought i got stabbed, it hurt more than any other sting i've ever got, felt like it would paralyze me. my buddy checked it like 2 hrs after and said it was a big blister with milky looking fluid leaking out.

its been 3 weeks now and it hasnt healed but i can honestly say alot of my pain and vision problems seem to have disappeared, my back and tailbone havent hurt since the sting.

Posts: 18 | From pittsburgh pa | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TF
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 14183

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TF     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dawn, you asked me for the name of a lyme doc who takes Medicare. I can't send it to you because your mailbox is full.

Let me know when you clean it out. Thanks.

Posts: 9931 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement