LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Partial LP Result, what in the heck does this mean ? Results Inside

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Partial LP Result, what in the heck does this mean ? Results Inside
lymetwister
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19590

Icon 5 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

The Lyme and some other stuff still pending. Whats up with the Lymphocyte percentage ?

Anyone ?

LT

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi LT.
I googled "interpretation of CSF" and this was the first result; it seems to offer a so-so explanation. There were many search results and if you need help in gathering more info, I'll be glad to help (I remember how I felt after my LP- YUCK-O!).

http://www.med.uottawa.ca/procedures/lp/e_interpretation.htm

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So does this mean I have Viral Meningitis ? I don't get it. I would think Bacterial, not Viral.

I'm lost.

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From
http://www.rch.org.au/clinicalguide/cpg.cfm?doc_id=5185

"CSF findings in bacterial meningitis may mimic those found in viral meningitis (particularly early on). It may be possible with modest accuracy to judge whether bacterial or viral is more likely based on CSF parameters.

However if the CSF is abnormal the safest course is to treat as if it is bacterial meningitis."

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymphocytes are a type of white blood cell that can differentiate into different types of cells that perform different functions in the immune response.

Some lymphocytes become cytotoxic T cells, which attack either foreign cells, or cells infected by a virus.

Other lymphocytes become either helper T cells, or suppressor T cells, which, put in simplistic terms, regulate both B and T cells.

Other lymphocytes are known as B cells, so named because they are made in the bone marrow.

Yet other lymphocytes become NK cells.

I am writing all of this to try to demonstrate that the immune system is incredibly complex, and I think it would be a mistake to jump to a conclusion about what type of infection--viral or bacterial-- their presence indicates.

Also, you know you have Lyme, right? That knowledge should tip the scales toward considering a bacterial infection, specifically, one caused by those dang 'keets.

The one thing I think you can be sure of is that this is a strong indicator that your body is fighting an infection in your CNS--which in my opinion, lines up with all the sx of brain inflammation causing the psych sx that you have been posting about.

Seeing these results may be upsetting and confusing, but at least you have concrete proof that you need treatment for CNS infection--something that is hard to come by in most Lyme pts.
Hopefully, that will work in your favor if you ever have to argue with the ins companies about covering treatment.

BTW, your results did not include the opening pressure. Do you know if it was high?

Hope you're recovering from that LP okay.

Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
losferwrds
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man you have been getting hammered by this.

Being a nurse, have you ruled out exposure to HIV?

God forbid, but your immune system seems completly trashed, I know this can be caused by lyme as well, but just to be on the safe side

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No HIV, too bad huh ?

Hammered isn't the word. Pure autonomic dysfunction, but I say it's the IVIG doing this.

Counting down the days till it's out of me. Getting closer each day.

Thanks for the support once again.

LT

Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey there,
I'll PM you later, I've got a frightful migraine right now. But I couldn't help chiming in here once again after reading the other posts and ruminating on your situation.

I know you feel the IVIG is responsible at least in part for your recent decline, and maybe you are right, but it would be difficult to determine for sure exactly how it is responsible, I think.

My knowledge of IVIG is very limited, but when you do a treatment that may serve to strengthen your immune system, it seems to make sense that you may herx as the result of that treatment, similarly to how you'd herx on abx.

Then again, you may be having an adverse reaction to the IVIG, just as you suspect.

People on abx often face similar condundrums. Are they herxing, is it disease progression, or is it a reaction to meds?

Hopefully, you can discuss this with your LLMD, and figure out which of these reactions you experienced, and what to do about it.

As for your LP results, one more thing to keep in mind while reading the charts concerning how to read LP results that Dawn so helpfully posted in her links. Maybe this makes more sense than my confusing crash course on lymphocytes:

According to the CDC, the most common causes of bacterial meningitis are Streptococcus pheumoniae, and Neisseria meningitis (the last is also known as meningococcal meningitis).

With these types of bacterial meningitis, it is typical to find an elevated number of neutrophils, just as the charts in the links show. It is with these types of bacterial infections in mind that those charts were written.

What you need to keep in mind is that there are other types of bacteria capable of causing meningitis (think LYME MENINGITIS), that would cause immune responses that may differ markedly from those in the charts.

Take care.

Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
davidx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davidx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LT-

That lymphocyte % seems really high? Does that mean that 100% of your WBCs are lymphocytes?

I believe that one of the transient side effects of IVIG is potentially lymphopenia (low level of lymphocytes) which is the oposite of what you are showing. I wonder if the elevated lymphocytes indicate a viral infection? I am wondering also if the elevated RBC has any effect on the lymphocytes?

What is segs? (second to last line on your printout)

You and your doctor definitely need to review these results and hopefully you can get some decent explanations.

-David

--------------------
Same nightmare, different day!

Posts: 401 | From East Coast | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

David, I meet with my Dr. on Fri. to discuss all of this. I really don't understand it at this time. I will def. let everyone know what is going on and again I appreciate everyone's concern.

LT

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement