LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Freaking out about Husband's new habit-help?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Freaking out about Husband's new habit-help?
Peedie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15355

Icon 6 posted      Profile for Peedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of you may remember I posted about my husband's sleeping problems.

He had a sleep study done and was dx'd obstructive apnea due to the relaxed position of his jaw during sleep.

A mouth piece would probably work best for him. The insurance company mandates that he first try the C-Pap.

He hates the machine.

Meanwhile, after talking to "others" and researching on the internet - he acquired a medical card to smoke POT!!!!!

-a little history here - my husband used to smoke pot - for years - and drink and it made him lazy and mean - seriously.

So when our daughter was 18 and I was going to leave him - he stopped it. Turned back into the nice and fun man that I married years ago.

Now 8 years later he's smoking pot again. He sneaks out to the back yard. Leaves his "stuff" laying around and it's making me crazy.

He says he is sleeping now and he wants me to try it because he says he read on the internet that it helps Lyme symptoms.

1. I'm afraid he'll get mean. I'm unhealthy now I can't take that.

2. I hate the sneaking around and little lies to excuse himself from family functions so he can go take a few "hits".

3. I hate the strange friendships that result from sharing with fellow pot smokers.

My mom keeps asking about him - how's he doing. I feel like I should just tell her the truth. Afterall, he has obtained the pot legally.

I figure some here have experience with this - some smoke it and some may live with someone who does.

Can you all give me some sage advice as to how to deal with this? I've been bottled up and am about to blow---

-peedie

Posts: 641 | From So. CA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just jan
Member # 16285

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just jan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peedie,
It sounds like you are having a really hard time. Maybe try some Al-Anon meetings. They teach you how to let go of what the person using does so you can get some peace for yourself. We can't change anyone but ourselves.
I hope this helps.
Blessings,
justjan

--------------------
I used to be marblenose but my lymebrain could not remember what email account I used to sign in so now I am just jan...
bit in 1994 diagnosed in 2004 I have tried every anbx and alternative known to personkind.

NICENESS COUNTS!!

Posts: 61 | From orange county new york | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well... there certainly are other ways to obtain the benefits of the drug w/out the health risks of the smoke.

Perhaps see if he is open to other forms that may help the issues and not harm either of you in the long run?

http://www.michiganmedicalmarijuana.org/node/1030

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, dear, here's what i'd do.

they have this sleep snoring thingie they advertise on tv that's supposedly guarantted to work. apparently you soften it in hot water and then put it in your mouth.

not cheap, but it's about 60 bucks i think.

would he be willing to try this?

i understand your concern, i'd be freaking out.

what a mess? is there anyway you can talk to his doctor without him knowing?

i'm sorry to say that it may come down to either his drugs or you? are you prepared for that choice?

i don't have any easy answers, but maybe others will.

i sincerely wish the best for you.

oh, i used to date a pilot many many years ago. he drank big time, i mean a 6 pack before we'd go out and then he'd hit the big stuff.

i loved him something fierce but i realized he had a problem i couldn't deal with, well, that and all the women.

i dropped that situation adn never looked back, but man, it hurt. i could just see a lot of problems ahead.

wonder whatever happened to him tho.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peedie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
just jan - thanks for the tip - I used to go to Al-Anon meetings. I don't believe they were of any benefit to me.

No one is allowed to talk about their experiences from a "responsible" aspect. No one talks about solutions.

Altho I see the merit in being able to separate yourself from the problem person - and not let things hurt you - I really don't see any long term solutions there.

Please forgive me if I sound ignorant. I just don't see this in my future.

Melanie - thanks for the link. I was having a panic attack reading it - so I had to stop. I'll revisit it later.

Randibear - Gosh I think I once dated the same guy! LOL

One of my friends from my school days, her dad was a commercial pilot and was never sober a day in his life.

The laws have changed a lot - hope he was forced to retire or something.

Now, My husband is being careful concerning his behavior. He is still the same sweet guy -- so far. But it has only been two weeks.

He drinks in moderation. A couple beers or a beer and 1 glass of champagne.

I won't think of preparing to leave him at this point - don't even want to go there - unless things take a turn for the worse.

But what do I do in the meantime?

I've seen that commercial for the mouth piece! I think I'll order it for him - couldn't hurt - right?

Posts: 641 | From So. CA | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peedie,

I would like to do some research and acquire pot that easily....really?? [Eek!]

Just kidding, but it is quite impressive.

They sound to me like to separate issues...maybe i am missing something here.

Is the pot for pain?...it can't be for sleep apnea. If he says it is, I would get on him about the validity of that, espy with his history. I believe pot is necessary in certain health situations, and I am glad that in those cases, it is legal. However,.... [confused]

You may go through all the trouble to deal with the apnea and find out he is just regressing back to a good high.

Sounds like you two need a heart to heart. I want to offer up more, but I would start with the motive again. Work out from there.

I think if he is sincere, he will try what therapies are recommended first.. the machine and if it is not tolerated (atleast smooz the system and try it) , then push for the mouthpiece with some excuse.

...and if he gets mean taking pot it is your problem, and if he loves you he will try the medically recomended options first. This is not castration, it is a mouth piece,hopefully, in the end.

Best to you-

2roads

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has he had his thyroid checked? My husband would

wake the dead before he found his was terribly low.

I had to sleep with him to keep him alive as he

quit breathing all nite long. Got his thyroid up

and he no longer snores and does not need a cpap

any longer. And I don't have to sleep with him either.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Peedie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15355

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Peedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2 roads - good point.
His musician friends are into it. Must be hard for him to tough it out. I wonder...

He is convinced it helps him sleep. Apparently there is an assortment. A type will help pain more - a different type for sleep...I don't know.

When I say he got mean - He would never physically harm me - I should have mentioned that at the start.

Pinelady - I never knew that about the Thyroid. I asked - he hasn't had a blood panel in about a year and half.

Wouldn't you think his PCP would have done that? Oh well, so I will try to get that done.

Thanks for all your help,
-peedie

farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Peedie,
Years ago I had a doctor put me on the pill version of pot. It totally knocked me out. So maybe he could try that.

When my late husband was dying of pancreatic cancer he tried smoking it for the nausea and it really helped him. I also baked brownies with it for him. He was not a smoker so he had to experiment until he learned to do it. He was able to keep some food down and I think it extended his life. A doctor told us about it.

My current husband can wake the dead, too. He had the throat surgery, but has returned to the old snoring. The cpap can help a lot, but you have to use it awhile to get used to it. And he resists. I have to wake him and roll him over so that ruins my sleep, too. He is planning to have another sleep study.

I think you are right to stop this behavior. It sounds to me like an excuse, not a solution. And drinking can't be helping at all! I would sure try the thyroid test. Then I would call the sleep clinic and ask for their help.

Peedie, you must take care of yourself. Ask him to help you do it. It doesn't sound to me like he has your best interests in mind.

BTW I would be interested to learn more about the mouthpiece, if anyone cares to PM me. Thanks.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement