LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » More Lyrica questions: weight gain and cognitive side effects?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: More Lyrica questions: weight gain and cognitive side effects?
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD just put me back on Lyrica for pain management.

I had tried Lyrica once before, and quit after just a few days because I would feel so woozy and have this weird dissociated feeling, like I was detached from myself, and just watching my body go through the motions of living. Very disconcerting, and very unpleasant!

Now, many months later, he wants me to give it another try, and thinks the side effects will improve with time if I stick with it.

I've been on it for three days now, and the side effects have not been nearly as bad, so I'm thinking maybe it will work for me this time.

I've heard so much about weight gain being a common side effect, something I definitely don't want! I've been working so hard to keep my weight from going up any more than it has--I've gone from a size 4 to a size 10 over the last year.

Also, I'm a full time student, earning a degree in nursing, and I start class in just two more weeks. I need to be mentally sharp.

All you Lymies on Lyrica, do you think I can make this work? Did you have the side effects of weight gain and cognitive difficulties?

Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marz
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just one 50 mg Lyrica before bed to help me sleep longer through the night put some weight on me.

This was a good thing because I was underweight. Sometimes I take another one if I wake up after two hours because sometimes my headache still wakes me up with only one.

I only have to do this occasionally, but think if I took a bigger dose I would really gain weight.

I don't understand why it does this since I don't think it increases the apppetite--I don't think I eat any more.

I also take .25 mgs clonazapam before bed plus 5 mg ambien. If I were having to go to school, I think I'd have a problem in the daytime because this combo affects short term memory.

Maybe Lyrica alone wouldn't do this.

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Marz.

I agree with you; I don't think the weight gain is due to increased appetite. I would like to understand the underlying physiological cause.

I also take clonazopam at night, along with seroquel, and now the Lyrica. This combo has been great for me for sleep, but I often feel foggy for the first few hours of the day, and I'm concerned about effects on my short term memory.

Wondering if I will have to stop the Lyrica and just deal with the pain in order to function in school. I hope not.

Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

UP, for anyone who has been on Lyrica long term...does the fogginess lessen over time with this drug?

I am willing to stick with this if side effects lessen, but as I said earlier, I am starting a new semester of school very soon, and I need to be 100% with memory and cognitive abilities.

Any input?

Marz
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 3446

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The statement about rapid weight gain with Lyrica causing congestive heart failure is a little disturbing!

http://epilepsy.emedtv.com/lyrica/lyrica-and-weight-gain.html

Posts: 1297 | From USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cap67
Member # 21923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cap67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi, my name is Cap, I have been on lyrica for about 2 years. I have had problems with my weight but with all my issues, I would not attribute it to just the lyrica. However, I do have the cognitive loss-short term memory loss. my mind is like swiss cheese anymore. I was an RN and had been in nursing for like 17 years and I cannot remember anything from school, everything I learned- GONE, as well as short term memeoryloss.However I have fibromyalgia and recently was told I have RA ( Rheumatoid Arthritis ). I have issues with chronic pain and have been trying to find out for over 5 years. I have alot of symptoms of lymes and was tested but showed up negative. I have seenand heard medical eveidence that says that over 50% of those tested, they show negative when they really have it.that it mimicks other diseases like what I have. I have many symptoms of lymes but am not sure if I should press to have more testing done, can anyone help me???? OH, and I hope that I did not discourage you from the lyrica, I did not put in that it has managed my leg pain better than anything....I would not go off. anyhow, I hope it helped in some manner.
Posts: 25 | From Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cap67
Member # 21923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cap67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sorry, I forgot to mention that, about the weight issue- I have currently lost 65 pounds...while on lyrica.
Posts: 25 | From Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Marz, read your link, and I agree, the risk of CHF is a little scary!

I don't think I'm in a high risk category for CHF, but that is information that Lyrica users in general should be aware of.

Cap, thank you for sharing you experience with Lyica; it certainly was helpful. You are right about having many symptoms of Lyme, I think; from the little that you've shared in this post I would say you should definitely pursue getting evaluated by an LLMD.

Have you visited the "Seeking a Doctor" section of this site? Hopefully someone in your area can tell you the name of a doctor who would be helpful, and that would be a good place to start looking.

You are right about there being many Lyme tests that are false negative. Those tests are way too inaccurate to be used to rule out Lyme disease. Please get yourself to a Lyme literate doctor! It is entirely possible that some or all of your medical problems could be caused by Lyme.

If you haven't already, please check out Dr. Burrascano's guidelines, and the "newbie help learning links," two topics near the top of the medical questions page. You will find much helpful information there to start out. Glad you came to this site, and I'm hoping we CAN help you!!

Wishing you well...

Cap67
Member # 21923

shoot, I hit the wrong button and now I have to retype this whole message!!! Grrrrrrrr!!
anywho Maryland Mom :
TY so much for your post to me!! it is so nice to have another person familar with lymes verify my suspiscions, I have been told for over 5 years this is all in my head. I knew it wasn't...ty for the references, they will help alot. You know Marz mentioned the CHF... it is odd to me I have had swelling, esp my legs and feet- for years yet no one can tell me why! I have to take diuretics and if I don't I swell like a baloon! I have gained 30 pounds in a week b4!!! anywho....ty again for all your help. I will post a better picture of my case history once I can figure out how to post a new thread. someone said to look for the new topic but I cannot find it anywhere,,,,lol

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement