LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Nerve pain: What helped you most ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Nerve pain: What helped you most ?
Sammi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For those with nerve pain, what helped you the most?

If you were prescribed something, what was good and bad about it? What were the side effects? It seems most of what can be prescribed for this causes tiredness, which is one of my worst symptoms already.

I know Elavil is sometimes prescribed for nerve pain, but I see it can cause weight gain and tiredness. I don't need more of either of these!

This is a new symptom for me and it is getting worse.

Please post what has helped you most. Thank you!

[ 08-17-2009, 12:53 PM: Message edited by: Sammi ]

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where do you get those patches, cottonbrain?
Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gwb. Lidoderm patches are prescription.
Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cap67
Member # 21923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cap67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was on neurontin for a long time then it quit helping and then was put on lyrica after trying the patches ( lidoderm) and a tens unit...lyrica has really helped.
Posts: 25 | From Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for your replies everyone. I am glad you have each found something that works.

What side effects do the patches have cottonbrain? Are they for pain relief?

Cap67, what side effects can Lyrica have?

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sammi, I've tried the lidoderm patches too, and I know of no side effects with these. Unfortunately, they did not provide much pain relief for me, though.
Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My main symptom has been nerve pain. There is really nothing that will take it away completely. Xanax and ibuprofen (believe it or not) have helped more than any other Rx and I have had some brutal nerve pain.

Also suggested by one of my doctors has been Ketamine, made through a compound pharmacy. If used cautiously and correctly it is proving to help nerve pain a lot from what I have been told. I have not tried it.

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jam338
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14002

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jam338     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lido pain patch did nothing for me, sisterinlaw, and motherinlaw....total waste for us.

I don't advocate Benzodiazepines because of risks, but that said....some report relief with forms of benzodiazipines. Just have to find which one of the many different ones works best for your chemistry, if at all. They definitely do not all function the same!

Benzo.org has great advisory info by Prof Heather Ashton in the UK. Educate yourself,know your risks as benzos (like all RX) has side effects and risks and can be brutal withdrawals after long term use.

Temazepam (benzo) helps me, but is a sleep me and will make you very sleepy.

Some say low dose Klonopin (benzo) helps w/neurotoxin excititoy neuro pain gonna try that next.

Others say Xanax (benzo) helps them.

Benzos are a slippery slope med, but can offer relief for some when nerve pain is unbearable.

Also, the blood pressure drug Clonidine has been shown in studies to help with neuropathic pain. However those with low blood pressure should NOT take it as it lowers blood pressure. It is a drug also used to help taper off opiates so it acts on opiate receptors. Lots of info online on it and some research studies even show it helps with sweats/hot flashes for some.

Posts: 495 | From SF Bay area, CA | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cottonbrain
Member # 13769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cottonbrain     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lymebytes, what is Ketamine?

sammi, as for side effects with the lidoderm patches -- the only one I know of is bustedwalletitis, LOL -- they are very expensive.

If you do try them, the directions say not to reuse them but I find that i can use them at least twice. they do not provide perfect pain relief but they help me a lot.

the pharmacist told me that hemorrhoid creams may work too, though i haven't tried these.

marylandmom, sorry to hear the patches didn't help you. have you found anything that works?

Posts: 1173 | From USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laceyj
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laceyj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what exactly is the nerve pain you are experiencing

i think some sort tumeric, premier research liver detox which has tumeric, premier research inflammacicin i think, they also have a pain relief zeolite you can put on an area for relief,

infrared sauna
also magnesium oil you can put on the skin

Posts: 187 | From FL | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beautiful Disaster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beautiful Disaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This has been the sx that has been my worst and changed my life completely. Xanax and Klonopin work WONDERS but like I've said and mentioned before, it has (at least for me) a tolerance level that builds WAY TOO FAST. 1 year ago I was on 2, 1mg Klonopin each day. Now I'm on 2mg, 3x daily....and it's not helping like it should.

Honestly, I have to take more than rxd to get through the day and then go through hell the rest of the month.

I've tried EVERYTHING ELSE and I mean EVERYTHING. Everything mentioned above and then some.

I'm resorting to neck and back surgery to do the forbidden steroid injections on Friday in my back and then my neck....however, I am asking them to switch it because I want my neck done first.

It's hell. Opiates don't even touch it. Especially my neck for some reason.

--------------------
---Beautiful Disaster---
IgeneX WB: IgM: 18+, 31+, 41+, 58+, IgG: 31++, 39 IND, 41++, 31kda Epitope Test: Positive
Labcorp: IgM: 23+, 41+
No LLMD due to money since Sept 2008. Was on Doxy, I.V. Rocephin (30 days), Flagyl. Also dx with Bartonella.

Posts: 139 | From United States, East Coast-ish | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey my friend!

So sorry to know you are dealing with this most annoying symptom! If you are suspecting Neuropathy, you may want to give the B's a chance? Sublingual B6 and Bcomplex are a good combination for neuropathy issues...and have helped many.

I have also tried neurontin, klonipin, elevil... most of the usual suspects. And most supps too. Some do help to quiet thngs for a time, but none have been long lasting remedies.

Yes, they do make you sleepy, so I always took them at bedtime to try and help with insomnia issues as well.

Feel better!
M

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cap67
Member # 21923

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cap67     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sammi
sorry for the delay in answering you, I am only on once a day at best and sometimes it might be days, depending on the pain my back/hands...anyway you asked about side effects of the lyrica, I have swelling of the hands and feet, usually in the morning but they usually go down as the day goes on...it can make you sleepy but that typically wears off as your body becomes acustom to it. That is really all the side effects I deal with. I have weight issues but I have dealt with that all my life and I have recently lost 65 pounds , sooooo.
for any further information you might need on it, here is a link for you

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-93965-Lyrica+Oral.aspx?drugid=93965&drugname=Lyrica+Oral&source=2

Posts: 25 | From Tennessee | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steven
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
nerve pain is my worst symptom. only one thing helped: rocephin.
Posts: 226 | From earth | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
B12 IM and treatment has helped mine.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Melanie Reber:

If you are suspecting Neuropathy, you may want to give the B's a chance?

Sublingual B6 and Bcomplex are a good combination for neuropathy issues...and have helped many.

Melanie suggested B vitamins when I developed numbness/neuropathy in my feet.

I had stopped taking them because they gave me an upset stomach, but I got some others that were sublingual.

I took the first B Complex sublingual on a Friday, and by Saturday my feet were no longer numb.

Later I took sublingual B12.....the deep aching pain in my lower legs improved in about 3-4 hours.

Now Foods, Instant Energy B12

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Maryland Mom, I am sorry the patches did not help you. Have you found anything that has?
Sammi
Member # 110

Lymebytes, I am sorry you have brutal nerve pain. It is very had to tolerate. I hope it gets better with treatment.
Sammi
Member # 110

jam338, thank you for your input. It looks like you have really done your research!

So many of the meds for this have horrible side effects. I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons.

I hope the Klonopin gives you relief.

Sammi
Member # 110

cottonbrain, I love "bustedwalletitis!!!" This is a side effect of many Lyme treatments!

I am glad the patches are helping you.

I wonder how hemmoroid creams work. Do you apply it to the areas where there is nerve pain?

Sammi
Member # 110

Hi laceyj. This symptom started for me a few days after getting a Glutathione push. It is burning pain on several areas of my body. My doctor said it is nerve related.

I will check out your suggestions, thank you!

Sammi
Member # 110

Beautiful Disaster, I am very sorry your pain is so intense. It sounds unbearable. I hope you can get relief soon.
Sammi
Member # 110

Hi Melanie! How ironic that you suggested B vitamins. When I saw my regular doctor recently and told him about this pain, he suggested trying Metanx. I had used it before but I did not have nerve pain then.

I forgot that he suggested it until you mentioned this, so thank you! I do B12 shots already. I started the Metanx last night, so hopefully it will help.

I am sorry you have this wretched symptom also.

Sammi
Member # 110

Cap67, wow you have lost 65 pounds?

Thank you for posting the link.

I hope your pain lets up soon.

Sammi
Member # 110

steven, I am glad your pain has improved!
Sammi
Member # 110

Pinelady, I am glad you have gotten some relief also!
Sammi
Member # 110

Carol, it is great that you had such a fast response to the B vitamins!

I started taking Metanx last night, so I hope it will help. I wonder if adding more B vitamins would be overkill.

steven
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for steven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sammi, unfortunately the pain only improved for a while after rocephin - and then came back. in the long run i havent found anything against nerve pain.
Posts: 226 | From earth | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Member # 110

Thanks Bugg.

I am glad you found something to help. I do take Vitamin D because my level is low.

Sammi
Member # 110

steven, I am sorry you still have this.

Hopefully this will go away with treatment for all of us!

Cap67
Member # 21923

Sammi, thanks for the kind words!! I am getting some relief but man oh man do my hands/wrists hurt tonight!! throbbing!!! How are you doing hun???I have lost 70 pounds now, hoping to lose more!!! [Smile] Please take care, my thoughts and prayers are with you all!!
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hot as I could stand epsom soaks and B12 IM helped me in the beginning. As I improved I could crank down the heat and slow down the shots.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My pain doc prescribed Desipramine for nerve pain and it does help me. The dosage is 25-50 mg 3x day. I also use Lidoderm patches...moderate relief. I cut them up and use them all over my legs.

Neurontin helps somewhat but makes me sleepy so I only use it at night.

Hot baths...as hot as you can stand it...help.

And I live with my heating pad!

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LuLuFlorida
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12066

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LuLuFlorida     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
High doese of IM methylcoablim 25 mg/ml 3 days a week and IV glutathione. I had horrible reactions to lyrica, cymbalta, savalla, neurontin.... those medications should be avoided at all costs.

Nerve pain is my worst symptom and I think its caused by toxins, yeast die off, or at least for me it is worsened tremendously by oral antibiotics. I cant take any of them for this reason. If anything else helps me I'll let you know. Hang in there!

--------------------
"One day at a time"

Current:
-1.2 IM bicillin three times a week
-1.25 IV Vancomycin every day
-IV glutathione and IM B12
-Byron White since Jan. 2011
-ALA, Yasko protocal, Adapten-All, thyrosol, Pekano, phosphalipid exchange, probiotics, oregano...

Posts: 390 | From FLORIDA | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reacted strong to lyrica, cymbalta is stimulating but it does help with pain.
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeHerx001
Member # 6215

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeHerx001     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up, does anyone get burning and cutting type pains?
Posts: 2905 | From New England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
neurontin

before i had it i used skelaxin every 6 hrs during day and oxycodone at night. the oxy gave me about a 2 hr break to sleep.

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pomegranite
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3339

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pomegranite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
kava alone probably won't do the trick. But Kava with many of the other recommendations above will help. Kava Tea by yogi tea company can be found at whole foods or other naturual stores.
Posts: 309 | From CA | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement