LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Reliability of Igenix???

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reliability of Igenix???
lctheobald
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lctheobald     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had three lyme tests through different companies. Only Igenix came back with anything positive and three bands only. I've also read debates about Igenix and if it's accurate. What's the truth?

Are false positive bands possible?

Thanks!

Igenix results from two years ago:
IGM
34 IND
39 ++
41 IND
66 +
IGG
41 IND
58 ++

--------------------
lisa theobald

Posts: 111 | From madison wi | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the story 99.9% of people here say, including me. Only Igenex found anything. [Smile] There are endless reasons as to why this may be (more accurate, two strains tested instead of one, more bands tested for, and more).

99.8% of members here will say Igenex is as accurate as they get and the results are gold. They passed a testing audit from the NY state health department or something along those lines.

You'll hear false positives don't exist.

Basically if you read this link, this is the basis for most people's opinion:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/42077?

Me personally - I'm on the fence about Igenix. It's always smelled a bit funny to me. THIS IS JUST AN OPINION. We all have a right to one. The WB is really one piece of the puzzle. It takes it all to come to a logical conclusion / Dx.

I get mixed thoughts about all their endless IND bands too. Someone posted a good link on the Igenex webpage regarding internal validation of their process.

On the other side, IDSA docs despise this lab and feel patients 'buy' positive Lyme tests from them.

It sure would be nice to scrap all the crap and have a reliable test. [Smile] My thought is if no bands show up on other commercial labs, one should be able to have a positive PCR test for the STARI strain (other one Igenex tests for and other labs don't). That's the proof I need to be convined.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing about Igenex is, it's just another Lyme test that is semi-accurate, but Lyme needs to be a clinical diagnosis anyway. I consider Igenex the most accurate WB out there, but that doesn't mean it's 100% accurate either.

According to Igenex' own statistics, false positives do occur. But they are around like 4-5% (or something like that), if you test positive IGM.

Now, if you get a positive WB via Igenex, plus coinfections, plus symptoms, I'd say it's pretty likely you have some lyme/tick problems there.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gemofnj
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15551

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gemofnj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ich,

i seriously doubt it if you are having symptoms.

IND is considered positive.

some of your + bands are very specific for borrellia.

if you have symptoms of lyme then your doctor will make a clinical diagnosis based on your symptoms regardless of what the 'results' show.

i tested negative with IGENEX but CDC positive with lab corp. one of my first docs said i had a 'false positive.' that was bull and i found a lyme literate doctor as fast as i could!

i definitely HAD lyme and was treated for almost a year.

see guidelines below from the top lyme docs in the USA.

http://www.lymediseaseresource.com/BurrGuide2008.pdf

Posts: 1127 | From atlantic city, nj | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If this was 2 years ago I would retest if you have concerns.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I only got a weak + and an IND on band 41 from Igenex.

This was 14 1/2 years after a bulls eye after camping followed by typical Lyme symptoms.

I worry more about false negatives.

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
but Lyme needs to be a clinical diagnosis anyway. I consider Igenex the most accurate WB out there, but that doesn't mean it's 100% accurate either.

umm no .Lyme should be a test ,clinical diagnosis = bull crap. It has too many ,too varying symptoms. We need a high reliability test which is positive when you have it and negative when you dont .So you could base your treatment on it and not flying blind (like all people do now)
Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole_Denise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by coltman:
quote:
but Lyme needs to be a clinical diagnosis anyway. I consider Igenex the most accurate WB out there, but that doesn't mean it's 100% accurate either.

umm no .Lyme should be a test ,clinical diagnosis = bull crap. It has too many ,too varying symptoms. We need a high reliability test which is positive when you have it and negative when you dont .So you could base your treatment on it and not flying blind (like all people do now)
Unfortunately, there is no highly reliable test right now. IMO Igenix is more reliable than all the other tests, but even still, it is far from perfect.

It would be wonderful to have a fool-proof test, but until then, you need to do a clinical diagnosis. That doesn't mean you ignore the test entirely, but you consider symptoms and history as well as the test.

As for buying positive test results- Ignenix is a certified lab. With all the scrutiny they are under, if there were something shady going on, it would have been found by now, IMO.

Posts: 503 | From Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

As for buying positive test results- Ignenix is a certified lab. With all the scrutiny they are under, if there were something shady going on, it would have been found by now, IMO.

This is an argument to authority. -e.g. " If something is highly respected it must be right". According to that logic IDSA guidelines are absolute true.

Better argument for the lab would be their proven accuracy not some dubious authority argument

Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nicole_Denise
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20620

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nicole_Denise     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can see your point Coltman. And I'm definitely not trying to say Igenix is perfect. One of the things that frustrates me the most is the unreliability of Lyme testing.

But I feel Igenix is the most reliable test out there, right now (my opinion, obviously others disagree). So, until another test comes out, I'm sticking with them.

I read a bit in "Cure Unknown" by Pamela Weintraub that mentioned a scientist trying to come up with a better test for Lyme. No idea what progress has been made since, but it looked promising.

Posts: 503 | From Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alliebridge
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alliebridge     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lyme tests are only 30% accuarate according to testimony of ILADS doctors at the IDSA hearing, while the test for HIV/AIDS is 99.5% accurate.

From what I recall, these doctors stated that for a test to be considered acceptable it has to have an accuracy rating of over 90%.

We desperately need a better Lyme test. 30% is completely unacceptable and yet the majority of doctors still blindly accept the results of these substandard tests as if it they had the accuracy of an HIV/AIDS test.

Because of this tens of thousands (if not more) are told they don't have Lyme using such a completely unreliable test. The patients not knowing this, are certain they don't have Lyme because they tested negative!

They get misdiagnosed with MS, ALS, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, IBS, the list goes on and on.

It's a tragedy.

Posts: 366 | From MA | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well since i had a classic huge bullseye, and the igenex was positive, i'd say i'm pretty sure i have lyme.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
False positive bands are possible. IgeneX has a special confirmatory test for band 31 for that reason.

Lyme testing is horrible regardless of what the IDSA states and not to be relied upon for a matter as important as ones lifelong health.

With testing as inaccurate as it is and with so much at stake, a clinical diagnosis is the only thing that makes any sense.

ILADS docs know the most about clinical diagnosis.

Terry

[ 08-20-2009, 05:06 PM: Message edited by: TerryK ]

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't bank on the confirmatory test either and

they say just that. If it is not in the sample it

will not be detected. There are many other tests

to use in conjunction with the WB. But docs just

prefer to say we don't have it here.

--------------------
IgM neg pos

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc who is well known at ILADS will only use Igenex. But even so, we got a PCR done at Clongen....it came back positive. So, I think that Igenex may be the best lab for LD, but it doesn't hurt to get another opinion.

We went to Igenex in person and found them to be very helpful, professional. We picked up lots of good literature there,too.

I agree with those who say that clinical diagnosis is worth a lot! My doc started me on heavy abx even before the tests were in....and I am already feeling much better. He knew LD when he saw it! And that is worth so much, after so many doctors who missed it...even with rashes and symptoms so clear.

It is worth the money and the wait to get in to see a top rate doctor! In the long run it costs less and works more quickly.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lctheobald
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lctheobald     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still so confused! I've been diagnosed with CFS for 5 years, but nothing that's suggested with CFS has ever helped.

Accupuncture helped for a little while. Gamma globulun shots for a little while, but other than that. Nada.

I'm not an outdoors girl, never got a rash. Felt a flu, then neck pain (have a bad back for years), then another flu like thing after a vacation where I really started going down hill.

It's more fatigue for me, some muscle pain when the fatigue is worse, but never swollen joints, etc.

I'm still confused if false positives are possible.

--------------------
lisa theobald

Posts: 111 | From madison wi | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lctheobald
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18093

And how do I know I didn't have lyme in the past, it's not active, I just have antibodies. I have more IGM results than IGG.

I've seen studies where they tested farmers in WI. 50% tested positive for lyme antibodies, but never had symptoms.

--------------------
lisa theobald

Pinelady
Member # 18524

How do we know, if this is true, what the trigger is? Genetics or enviromental? Who knows?

--------------------
IgM neg pos

sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
icth, I think you know if its active, if you have symptoms. If you just have antibodies and no symptoms then why would you worry about it?
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lctheobald, have tried running antivirals for several months?

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lctheobald
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18093

lymeorsomething -

I've tried antivirals for 2 months at a time, no change.

--------------------
lisa theobald

lctheobald
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18093

sutherngrl-

But you can have symptoms of lyme, but it could be the same symptoms of other diseases as well. So how do I know that it's active lyme or that it's now a different disease, and I had lyme in the past and just have antibodies now?

I'm so confused. All my western blots came back neg, no positive bands exect igenix. Makes me question their results. Or if it's even active or just antibodies.

--------------------
lisa theobald

lymebytes
Member # 11830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymebytes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Igenex is reliable. They include all bands in the WB.

The CDC kit tests are not reliable. Thousands are currenlty undiagnosed or misdiagnosed because the test used at mainstream labs are so horrible.

Also, those IND's on your test - most LLMd's consider those positive, something WAS seen. All it takes is one specific band in the WB to suspect LD. Here is the breakdown of the test: http://www.truthaboutlymedisease.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=15

Read about the test reliability here: http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/about_lyme.html

--------------------
www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Posts: 2003 | From endemic area | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many folks do not know about the rigorous licensing requirements that test labs must conform to be in business. One need only study this document:

http://www.igenex.com/compliance.pdf

I've even heard doctors say that certain labs have "too many positive readings," without even knowing what the CLIA acronym stands for...very sad indeed.

This is the main "good housekeeping" stamp of approval that matters. Of course, the fact that Igenix also regionalizes their tests to enhance accuracy of testing strains is often overlooked...

If you have the time & interest and really want to drill down some more, see this document:

http://igenex.com/files/QA_PACKAGE_FEB_2008.pdf

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lctheobald
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18093

Thanks,

Thanks everyone still confues if I have lyme, but you links help..

I just like thins in black and white, yes, you have lyme, or you don't. Not a well, we treat based on symptoms. well the symptoms could indicate so many diseases.

--------------------
lisa theobald

JamesNYC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15793

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesNYC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Let's see,

You come from a state where lyme is epidemic.

You are chronically fatigued. 5 years of care by Drs have not helped you nor found a cause.

(CFS, is just a diagnosis of acknowledgement that you are chronically fatigued, for unknown reasons. It's not a disease, just a name.)

100s of us were told we had CFS and then discovered that it was lyme. But ONLY after the Drs looked for EVERY OTHER DISEASE. Usually we're told it's depression.

You tested positive from Igenex, the most accurate of all the testing labs.

CFS has no cure, it has no known cause. Lyme is WELL KNOWN to cause chronic fatigue.

What exactly are you confused about?

What is your alternative diagnosis? A lifetime of chronic fatigue of unknown cause? Lyme diagnosis explains your symptoms.

Is "JUST CHRONICALLY FATIGUED" is a more satisfying "black and white" diagnosis?

Good luck,

James

Posts: 872 | From New York City | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lctheobald
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18093

I'm confused if my Lyme is chronic or I've just built up antibodies from past exposure.

A study of farmers in WI showed that 40% had antibodies no symtptoms.

So how doyou know if it's from the past when your immune system may have been better and able to handle it, or is currently affecting you?

--------------------
lisa theobald

Lemon-Lyme
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19229

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lemon-Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
An antibiotic trial is probably the most accurate way to figure out if you have Lyme or not.

My doctor starts his patients on an antibiotic, then after 30 days uses any symptoms the patients states as part of the diagnosis (mostly looking for co-infections too).

If you herx, you most likely have Lyme/tick diseases. If you get better, well... you have your answer there too.

If you try several antibiotics over a period of 3-6 months or so, and don't notice any difference at all, good or bad, then you may not have Lyme.

Posts: 584 | From NY | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When in doubt, test for everything...

Have you run complete hormone panels as well?

If oral abx fail, you could consider IV if you haven't already.

--------------------

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lctheobald
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18093

I have been on doxycycline 100 mg daily 2x's daily for 4 days no changes. I wonder if that's a high enough dosage to notice a change. I see burrasco says 300 mg (I weigh 110, so not much).

I've also had herxes from diflucan alone, which I'm also on, so that makes it hard to differentiate if I'm herxing from antibiotics due to lyme, or diflucan.

However on other antibiotics or being on 2 at once, I had to quit after a week on two occasions because of chronic yeast infections, even while being on diflucan and the yeast diet simutaniously and taking probiotics. So I don't know i could be on a higher dosage or other antibiotics. Because of my bladder disease I also can't go herbal.

--------------------
lisa theobald

Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

4 days is nothing...you have to run "good" protocols from several weeks to months to make any ground generally...

Lisa, what is your thyroid status?

--------------------

lctheobald
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18093

lymeorsomething

my thyroid is good, my tsh, free t4, t3, reverse t3, I've had them tested for years.

I know it will take weeks to months see any positive results, but I thought I would herx pretty quickly.

--------------------
lisa theobald

Buster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend that is the most well known pathologist in my city. He called Igenex and questioned them.

He called me back and said they are 100% legit and know what they are talking about... He is not lyme literate either.

Posts: 458 | From Miss | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Lisa I was already neuro and got a lot worse about

3 weeks in. I could not get out of bed. Vomiting,

pain, dizzy, you name it. When they say you will

get worse they mean it. Don't give up on it yet. I

would get you some can meals to pop. Microwave meals

quick fixes to have on hand. And epsom salts on hand for soaks if

you get to hurting too bad will help.

--------------------
IgM neg pos

thejoje
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19976

Icon 1 posted      Profile for thejoje   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Both of my LLMDs were members of ILADS at one time. One of them was not comfortable with the fact that the owner (president?) of IgeneX is an activist in ILADS.

I can see why one would become an activist, given the narrow criteria of the CDC. But at the same time, IMHO, it is a clear conflict of interest to promote one's own company in this way.

THAT HAVING BEEN SAID, my LLMD recently gave my blood samples to 2 labs: IgeneX and Stony Brook Univ Med Center. Both labs administered the WB at the same time.

Both came out CDC positive, with a few differences: IGeneX showed a double positive on band 41 ( IgM), Stonybrook had a single positive. IGeneX showed a single positive in band 18, Stony showed nothing.

Both labs showed single positive on band 39.

The only other difference was on the IgG test. Stony showed 2 bands IND while IGeneX showed 2 bands positive, and 1 band IND.

I don't know enough about the test to draw the correct conclusions, but as a lay interpreter, I would say that Stonybrook is a bit more conservative on the exact same band interpretation. Why this is, I do not know.

I am not saying that IGeneX is not trustworthy.

3 of my kids are all being treated for Lyme based solely on 1 or 2 positives or IND's on the IGeneX WB. None of them were CDC positive. All of them are herxing.

--------------------
When we are no longer able to change a situation---we are challenged to change ourselves.
(Viktor Frankl- Holocaust survivor)

Posts: 460 | From Maine | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChuckG
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ChuckG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thejoje
Stony Brook Lyme lab

Stony Brook University Hospital
Lyme Disease Laboratory

quote:
We also offer the qualitative Lyme Western blot assay which is manufactured in-house . Positive bands are reported for both IgM and IgG. We have the ability to report CDC non-specific bands if requested ...
IGeneX "manufactured" their test in-house. Focus lab did the same. Forgot the rest of the labs that did the same. Old age. [Wink]
Posts: 426 | From Berkeley, CA | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement