LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone else herx this bad on Amoxyl?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone else herx this bad on Amoxyl?
Starfall1969
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just switched from Doxy to Amoxyl a little over a week ago.

I had been feeling really good, with the exception of vision issues.

Since switching to Amoxyl, I am have what I think is a herx, and it's 100x worse than what I had on Doxy.

My constant headaches have let up, and now I just have pain all up and down my back and neck.

It's hard to describe the pain--I guess it's muscle pain, but it feels like there's sandpaper inside my muscles. It hurts to touch my back, and even to have a bra or shirt touching my back is hell.

Aspirin doesn't touch it, and Ben Gay seemed to make it worse.

Has anyone else had this much pain with Amoxyl? How long did it last?

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also, I'm thinking back and realizing that I have had similar pain for years when I took Amoxyl (not nearly this bad though). Now I'm wondering if I've been infected this long and was herxing every time I was on it.....
Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
yanivnaced
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13212

Icon 1 posted      Profile for yanivnaced     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is your dosage of Amox?
Posts: 655 | From USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

I'm on 2000mg a day.
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would be sure to rule out that it isn't any kind of negative reaction, if you had this happen before you think you were infected.

That said....Amoxicillin made me herx pretty hard. I don't think I started with that much (2000 mg) on the first day, I worked up.

My herxing on it was moreso a lot of irritability and headaches, and some fatigue.

But now I'm on Bicillin (which is kind of a similar drgu), and I'm herxing again---having lots and lots of muscle pain, but it isn't sandpaper-feeling. Also getting some knee pain.

The pain is the worst in the morning when I wake up, for me.

I believe Amox and Bicillin really hit Lyme hard.

Oh, and it didn't seem like I herxed like that on Doxy for some reason. I have no clue why!

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Same here with the Doxy; I herxed a little for a few days, and that was it--nothing like this.
0ldman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22101

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 0ldman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The little buggers could have gotten resistant to doxy. Changing to amox might have essentially caught it by surprise, killed more, made you feel worse.

I've not read where amox causes symptoms like that on its own.

Have you spoken to your doc about it?

I am starting a new run of amox, zithro and grape fruit seed extract, doc told me to squeeze a lemon and a lime in 8oz of water and drink it 2/3 times a day to help with the herx. L&L are both alkaline, suppose to help.

I hate lemons, hate is not a strong enough word... but I'm going to try it. Another source for a very alkaline juice is watermelons, but I haven't discussed with the doc if that would be a suitable replacement.

Juicy Juice has a watermelon juice that isn't too bad, if you can find it. The only catch is processed fruit juice isn't suppose to work as well, but I'm going to try both and see if there is a difference.

--------------------
Ticks suck.

Posts: 140 | From Alabama | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I am definitely herxing on amox. I worked up to 3000mg per day and the headaches were horrendous and lasted 6 weeks.Knee pain increased(llmd said it was tendons and ligaments around the knees)

Another big surprise was spine pain (mid/upper)It felt like something was boring a hole in my spine in one specific spot...very distinctly different than any other kind of pain that I have. A heating pad on high helps somewhat.

Headaches are gone but back pain still there and not as bad.

Hope it's a short-lived herx for you. [Smile]

Posts: 677 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

The headaches have finally subsided, now it's just like a run of the mill drug again.

But it has done nothing for my eyes; my vision is still all over the place screwed up. Even the eye docs have no clue anymore.

Abxnomore
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I you want the amox to help your eyes you have to go way up on your dose, past 10,000 and up to 18,000. Also, you should be on a macrolide along with it, such as zithromax 1,200mg or biaxin and a

cyst buster such as Tindamax at least 1,000mg. Only high doses will pass the BBB and that is what you need if you are having severe eye problems to get into the cranial nerves and optic nerves.

Other than than, IV along with orals would be the best thing. Or perhaps the upper limit of mino which has the ability to penetrate very deeply.

The dose of amox you are on just can't do enough for you eyes.

There is a good LL eye doc in PA. Have you checked into that?

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Amox was the first abx I was on and I herxed like crazy.

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zebco 33
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18376

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Zebco 33     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is Augmentin/875mg. contain Amox?

I'm on a 4 week course and the spine pain is really awful, awful.

I'm into my second weeek now and it also makes me very sick to my stomach.

Took a break from my doxy.

Trying to blast these crappy sinus infections.

Dr. gave me a script for phenergan, 25 mg., at night for the nausea.

One good thing I started was the Netipot with the saline.

Haven't needed a sinus pill since that.

I've read about others using it here and wish I had started sooner.

A great thing to start now if you haven't tried, especially with the flu's going around now.

Oh yeah, those headaches with the amox..yikes!!!!

Hope all have a nice Labor Day...

Posts: 145 | From Paris, Tn. | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Does anyone know why amox. causes such bad headaches? Is it killing ketes in the brain or is it the drug itself?
Posts: 677 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melodymaker
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16434

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melodymaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The netipot does do a great job with the sinuses.

Also, does anyone know if the Tinidazole has any neuropathy type side effects like the flagyl??

--------------------
Wishing You Showers Of Blessings!
Lyme since Fall 1983 = Diagnosed Summer 2008
IV Rocephin 7 weeks Stopped due to drug fever
Now doxycycline
"For I know the plans I have for you...plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Posts: 430 | From Sunny South | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement