LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » how much diflucan do you take?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how much diflucan do you take?
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i called my llmd and he recommended diflucan so he gave me 100 for a month. said it would help this sinus mess and all.

i'm thinking maybe i should be taking diflucan all the time, low dose.

does anybody do this for lyme? following the diet just doesn't seem to do it for me. plus i'm getting real tired of just meat and vegetables....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ONE 200MG A DAY

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took one a day. My teen takes one every 3 days.
Now I'm on Nystatin, but would rather be on the diflucan. I think Nystatin is more for intestional yeast and diflucan more for vaginal yeast? Not sure.

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randibear,

I have 100mg. Diflucan tabs, which work really well to settle my intestinal troubles. Need to take it every day for a couple of weeks until you get the yeast well under control. If you can get away with not taking it every day, this would be better for you. Just remember that a few hours after you take it, you need to take a lot of real good acidophilus. Diflucan not only kills the yeast, but kills many beneficial critters in your intestinal tract.

Yes, I very much know the boredom of the anti-yeast diet doldrums (sp?). You can get away with a few carbs each day, but I suspect you'll be taking Dif 2 to 3 times per week. You'll have to experiment and find your own tolerance.

ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

--------------------
ping

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well he said 100 mg for 30 days. that should do it doncha think?

and he said it should help with any sinus fungal infection issues too.

my friend has been up to 400 mg per day but i don't think i can tolerate that. plus she's been on it for 7 months...gads...and no liver problems at all.

--------------------

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedoffjan
Member # 15944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedoffjan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
randibear, I was on diflucan for quite a while at 200mg a day. I just wanted to let you know that I did experience severe hair loss while taking it and wanted to suggest that you take biotin to help prevent the hair loss. Good luck!
Posts: 90 | From Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ping-what you are saying is way different than what my llmd said

i'm not sure who is right

he said nystatin only does gi tract

diflucan is systemic (will help sinus) but will not affect gi and therefore does not have to be away from probiotics---i don't know if this is true-but it is what he said-i doesn't have to be away from abx or on empty stomach either

i have learned over the years if i take nystatin and probiotics away from food a little goes a long way

there is some research that diflucan may kill lyme and/or coinfections too...that may be why it was prescribed for 7 months

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Member # 11290

oh i heard too about nystatin and especially the liquid. my doc said it's only used primarily for thrush and the throat. it's not absorbed well so they don't use it to treat systemic.

--------------------

Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took diflucan 200 mg once a day for 4 months. Now, I take one a week to keep the yeast at bay. I do take proboitics twice a day, but mainly because of the antiboitics.

I really think it will help you with your sinuses. It did me!!

Good luck.

It tastes aweful, don't let it get stuck in your throat! Also, keep an eye on liver functions during if you have liver problems. But, I didn't have any trouble accept it made me tired when it killed all that yeast during the first month.

My husband is on nystatin for yeast in his intestinial tract. That is what our LLMD said. My yeast is systematic, so I have to have diflucan.

Shalome

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeinhell
Member # 4622

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymeinhell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If he said 100mg for 30 days, then that's what you do. (But you might need 100mg twice a day to kick it. So near the end of your 30 days, be sure to update him if you're still a mess or if you still have sinus issues. You'll probably be a bit better)

You'll still need to watch your diet. And beware your stomach may 'rebell' a bit for a while.

I was reminded of that myself as I started on it this week again. I've been off abx almost 5 years and still battle yeast now and again, but not nearly as much in the past.

--------------------
Julie
_ _ ___ _ _
lymeinhell

Blessed are those who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed.

Posts: 2258 | From a better place than I was 11 yrs ago | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lpkayak,

I don't know a thing about Nystatin, as my LLMD always rx'd Diflucan for all yeast problems and for me, it works on GI problems. Don't know about sinus problems.

My instructions (originally) were to take lots of probiotics a couple of hours after taking the Diflucan in order to replace the good flora that it kills (along with the yeast).

It works for me. That's all I know. Wish I could be more precise.

ping

--------------------
ping

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement