LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » New Labs, ++ Epstein Barr Virus. Just got an Explanation as to what IVIG is doing

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New Labs, ++ Epstein Barr Virus. Just got an Explanation as to what IVIG is doing
lymetwister
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19590

Icon 5 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This explains the fatigue and body aches and perhaps the low grade fever. But it's all related to the IVIG as the incubation period is 4-6 weeks. Certainly didn't get it from intimate contact :-)

-

-

[ 08-27-2009, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: lymetwister ]

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
UnexpectedIlls
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15144

Icon 1 posted      Profile for UnexpectedIlls     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I ALWAYS have a high white blood cell count.... dont know why???

--------------------
"You'll be surprised to know how far you can go from the point you thought it was the end"

Posts: 946 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I personally don't think any of those results are that meaninful based on my knowledge.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just got an explanation from a Clin Spec at Hopkins as to what is perhaps going on with me.

She works Oncology, but has researched and written on IVIG. She says it sounds like what I'm having is a Cytokine Storm. She has seen this in her cancer patients who appear septic after receiving biological agents and says the same thing can happen with IVIG when used to treat Lyme.

What she said is happening is that my immune system is once again activated to where it should be and because the bacteria with Lyme release Neurotoxins, I'm experiencing this and the Cytokine effect, which is a double whammy to the brain.

The windows I get where I start to feel normal are caused from ridding toxins and a reduction of the Cytokine Storm happening together, kind of like an luner eclipse. But once both start up again, this is why my symptoms flare.

Now, I have a White Count and a High Neutrophil count and pos. for Epstein Barr Virus. She says the activated immune system is going after the once dormant infection I was exposed to when I was younger. In other words, it's destroying everything in it's path.

She has been in the business over 35 years and holds a Masters Degree in Nursing and is mostly into research these days, so I put alot of faith into what she is saying.

It all sounds good to me, what do you think ?

LT

Posts: 1227 | From District of Columbia | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds great. I hope you get rid of both. Did she say no antivirals? Let the IviG do it's thing?

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymetwister     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
She said, she wouldn't take anything until symptoms start to diminish. Anything else could make symptoms worse.

I guess I found the quick way to beat this, or lets say I'm hoping and praying that is whats going on.

I feel like I am Jesus Christ res-erected and taking in everyone's pain for their sins. I don't know how much more a man could take then what I've been going through. It's a good thing I have a high pain threshold or I might not be sitting here typing this.

For those of you that are religious, please don't take my example to heart, I mean no disrespect to Jesus Christ, but I don't know how else to describe what I've been going through.

Off to bed.....

LT

kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a good link to explain a cytokine storm:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cytokine_storm

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thx for update; best wishes twister [Smile] xoxox
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You likely have a chronic active EBV infection. You should also check for HHV-6 and enterovirus infection.

See: www.enterovirusfoundation.org
www.hhv-6foundation.org
and
http://hhv6foundation.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=testing&action=display&thread=182
You will need to sign in as a member to read the last post.

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greenbow
Member # 21463

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greenbow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
before i found out my problem...
i always had high neutrophils and the docs kept saying oh, that is NORMAL for some people.
also, i have high EBV titers and the docs said 98% if the pop. had EBV in their blood.

Posts: 94 | From ut | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Buster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19472

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Buster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lymetwister, I don't know if the EBV should be of great concern. Every person I know that has tested for it... has it including myself.

I'm speaking about IgG, not IgM. Looks like your immune system is turned up for sure. Is it turned up in a good way or not, I don't know? A functioning immune system is good but one that is going crazy constantly is not good and could cause damage

Posts: 458 | From Miss | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
None of the abnormalities are really that far from range and the EBV numbers probably mirror mine. Tough to say if EBV is chronic or not. I'd try anti-virials when up to it IF you can get a doc to Rx.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
davidx
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for davidx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just wanted to mention that the EBV numbers may be misleading.

The reason is that when you get immunoglobulins from IVIG you are getting all sorts of antibodies which are passively transferred.

I am currently on IVIG and have tested positive for different antibodies that I had never tested positive for previously (I also had never been exposed to the antigens).

With that said, there may not be a way to know for sure but I just wanted to throw out a different perspective.

--------------------
Same nightmare, different day!

Posts: 401 | From East Coast | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymetwister
Member # 19590

I sure hope I don't have it. This would just be another wrench in this whole mess.

You might be right David. I have the symptoms except for the excessive sleep even though I do feel worn out and exhausted.

LT

disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't worry that much.... I've had a low/dangerously low white blood cell and neutrophil count for 12+ years. Not once since I can remember have they ever been in the normal range.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beautiful Disaster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beautiful Disaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's really interesting. And I understood it! lol.

--------------------
---Beautiful Disaster---
IgeneX WB: IgM: 18+, 31+, 41+, 58+, IgG: 31++, 39 IND, 41++, 31kda Epitope Test: Positive
Labcorp: IgM: 23+, 41+
No LLMD due to money since Sept 2008. Was on Doxy, I.V. Rocephin (30 days), Flagyl. Also dx with Bartonella.

Posts: 139 | From United States, East Coast-ish | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement