LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » I'm SO mad! Dr. just told friend "No Lyme documented in TN"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm SO mad! Dr. just told friend "No Lyme documented in TN"
IckyTicky
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think steam could possibly be coming out of my ears!
My friend has a RASH, got bitten a week ago and all around the bite is purple, like blood blisters underneath. She just got out of the ER diagnosed with cystitis and is in so much pain. All they will give her is Macrodantin for a week. 200mg a day.

She told them she thinks she has Lyme and the doctor told her that there are NO documented cases of Lyme in Tennessee!

She didn't know what to say so she said nothing.
But I am enraged!

My friend has had Lyme symptoms for a long time, and I think this is a new infection. What she has isn't a classic bulls eye, but neither was mine! Mine looked exactly like she describes! She says "It's purple all around the bite, and it's been like this for a week now"

She is only 31, has very very bad "arthritis" in her knees since she was a teenager. She has one son with ADHD and another son who is autistic.

Can someone tell me how to find proof of documented cases so she can take the info to her moron of a doctor?

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
catskillmamala
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12536

Icon 1 posted      Profile for catskillmamala     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you can see from the page link below, even the CDC knows there's lyme in Tennessee. Give this to your friend:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/lyme/ld_rptdLymeCasesbyState.htm

Posts: 524 | From Hudson Valley, NY | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesNYC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15793

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesNYC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess you'll be looking for a new Dr?

Maybe I'm extreme, but I would report this Dr to the TN medical board for his ignorance. How can he properly treat patients if he can't diagnose due to obliviousness?

What else does he screw up because he's ill-informed, or in denial?

Add him to the hit list for the class action law suit. [Wink]

James

Posts: 872 | From New York City | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cold Feet
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cold Feet   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Forget the moron! Help your friend get a Lyme literate doctor!

When you have the time & energy, send a polite, professional letter to the right people...

--------------------
My biofilm film: www.whyamistillsick.com
2004 Mycoplasma Pneumonia
2006 Positive after 2 years of hell
2006-08 Marshall Protocol. Killed many bug species
2009 - Beating candida, doing better
Lahey Clinic in Mass: what a racquet!

Posts: 830 | From Mass. | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GraceT
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GraceT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I WAS bitten by mosquitos in Cleveland, TN. This is where BOTH myself and my husband contracted Lyme Disease. We both have different combination of infections.

I've lived in three states since, but only TN where the deer were in our backyard ever day.

I did have a tick fall out of a tree where it was already engorged. What got both of us was infected mosquitos.

We have heard from others that thre are not any LLMD's in TN. I do not know if this is true. Atlanta is a drive, but they should have LLMD's.

Makes me wish we could hunt them to near extinction.

Posts: 212 | From Arizona | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesNYC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15793

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesNYC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you know the mosquitos were the vector?
Posts: 872 | From New York City | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zil
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My PCP told me that and I told him that's because everyone has to go out of the state to get diagnosed.
Posts: 383 | From Ar | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1980 - Jan. 2008 ...all 50 states broken down by years!

http://www.lyme.org/resources/1980-cumulative.htm

Betty note: I tried printing out the chart, but it goes SIDEWAYS, and tried printing in pages 1, 2, 3; it kept printing page 1 only! So just a warning if others try to do this; use your PRINT REVIEW FIRST which I did, and indicated DIFFERENT pages, but still got page 1 only! I gave up after 8 tries! uffda [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparently he don't read the newspaper either.

By Lisa Simpson Strange, Glasgow Daily Times, Glasgow, Kentucky

http://www.glasgowdailytimes.com/food/local_story_203104451.html

July 22, 2009

GLASGOW - One local mother hopes she can help keep other parents and
their children from going through what she and her son faced recently.

Valerie Lewis found a tick on her son, Parker, 2, on Father's Day. She
removed it and didn't really think anything else about it.

Three days later, Parker had developed a high fever and was lethargic.

Valerie took her son to her local family physician, Dr. David German,
who checked Parker's tonsils and ears, but couldn't find an immediate
source of infection. He told her to wait a day and see if there were any
changes.

Parker's high fever and lethargy continued the next day and he had a
febrile seizure, which consists of convulsions brought on by a fever in
infants and small children.

Valerie took Parker to the emergency room at T.J. Samson Community
Hospital and he was admitted.

Parker was given Doxycycline, an antibiotic, but his white blood cell
count kept dropping and Dr. German realized there was "something
different about this one."

Parker was diagnosed with Ehrlichiosis, an illness carried by the Lone
Star tick that is found in the southeastern United States.

"The doctors at Vanderbilt told me that Ehrlichiosis is especially bad
this year in Tennessee and Kentucky, up 100-fold from last year,"
Valerie said. The disease is potentially deadly (two children died from
it while Parker was at Vanderbilt). It's important that parents think
about tick bites if their child has an unexplained high fever in the
summer with low white blood cell counts.

Full story:
http://www.glasgowdailytimes.com/food/local_story_203104451.html

Letters to the Editor, James Brown
[email protected]

100% Increases in Cases being Reported

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20090726/NEWS07/907260362/Tennessee+sees+rise+in+tick-borne+illnesses

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tickedoffjan
Member # 15944

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tickedoffjan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also CDC positive and guess what? I reside in TN!! My PCP has recently had 4 more people turn up CDC positive for lyme. I however was unable to find a LLMD in TN when I started treatment last year so I see a LLMD in NC. It is only about two hours from the East TN area.
Posts: 90 | From Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How are you doing now T.o.Jan?

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Icky...

hehehe.. I like that name.

[Big Grin]

Can you contact the hospital administrator and better yet, send a short letter explaining what happened, NO emotion and be nice...

And print out a copy of the CDC case numbers to send with it.

Tell them you expect their ER docs to be educated about Lyme and it IS in Tennessee and it is very nasty when it goes to the late stages.

By doing this, the next time someone is misdiagnosed, they can't claim "stupid" when the lawyer knocks on their door.

This ought to shake their tail feathers a bit.

Please do it to protect the next person who can be hurt at that hospital.

Heaven forbid it be a child.

Thanks!

[Big Grin]

PS. Be sure to keep a copy and even send it to your Congressional reps... with a cc on the bottom showing you did.

That ought to get their attention.

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I, too, am from Tennessee and was misdiagnosed as well. There, unfortunately, are a growing number of us who are continually misdiagnosed. The TN Dept of Health wont' recognized lyme disease exists in TN until Vanderbilt does. Vanderbilt still won't recognize it's here.

We just had a girl in our lyme disease group (Middle TN Lyme Disease) test positive per the CDC criteria. I had the erythema migrans rash and tested positive but they still wouldn't recognize it at any of the local Nashville hospitals. I'm on this board (like so many of you) five years later because of this ignorance.

The ridiculous twist to this is that often in the outerlying rural areas they are quite familiar with lyme disease from tickbites. Still, I know of no TN physician who is well-versed in the treatment of lyme. We all travel out-of-state for treatment. I see a physician in Manhattan.

Recently, a professor and epidemiologist at the University of TN Knoxville conducted a statewide tick-drag. He found numerous ticks statewide which were ixodes scapularis, the kind of tick which often carries borellia burgdorferi. For a long time, they've been saying these types of ticks don't exist in the South. They are in the process of testing these ticks for their pathogens. He hasn't officially released the results of his study yet.

At a bare minimum, the doctor should have tested your friend for ehrlichia which IS recognized as a known tick-borne pathogen in TN and the South.

Yes, the ignorance is astonishing....However, I echo the sentiments of those expressed above that if any of these ignorant doctors/hospitals are contacted, you must approach them on an unemotional level...Otherwise you will immediately be pegged as a nut and written off....like soooooooooooooo many of us have been....

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hshbmom
Member # 9478

Icon 1 posted      Profile for hshbmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't the governor of Tennessee contract Lyme recently?
Posts: 1672 | From AL/WV/OH | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1: J Med Entomol. 2009 Jan;46(1):131-8.Links
Detection of Borrelia burgdorferi and Borrelia lonestari in birds in Tennessee.

Jordan BE, Onks KR, Hamilton SW, Hayslette SE, Wright SM.

University of Tennessee Health Science Center, Memphis, TN 38163, USA.

Lyme disease in the United States is caused by the bacterial spirochete Borrelia burgdorferi s.s. (Johnson, Schmid, Hyde, Steigerwalt, and Brenner), which is transmitted by tick vectors Ixodes scapularis (Say) and I. pacificus (Cooley and Kohls).

Borrelia lonestari, transmitted by the tick Amblyomma americanum L., may be associated with a related syndrome, southern tick-associated rash illness (STARI). Borrelia lonestari sequences, reported primarily in the southeastern states, have also been detected in ticks in northern states.

It has been suggested that migratory birds may have a role in the spread of Lyme disease spirochetes. This study evaluated both migratory waterfowl and nonmigratory wild turkeys (Meleagris gallopavo silvestris, Eastern wild turkey) for B. burgdorferi and B. lonestari DNA sequences.

A total of 389 avian blood samples (163 migratory birds representing six species, 125 wild turkeys harvested in habitats shared with migratory birds, 101 wild turkeys residing more distant from migratory flyways) were extracted, amplified, and probed to determine Borrelia presence and species identity.

Ninety-one samples were positive for Borrelia spp. Among migratory birds and turkeys collected near migration routes, B. burgdorferi predominated. Among turkeys residing further away from flyways, detection of B. lonestari was more common.

All A. americanum ticks collected from these areas were negative for Borrelia DNA; no I. scapularis were found. To our knowledge, this represents the first documentation of B. lonestari among any birds.

PMID: 19198527 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1: J Med Entomol. 2003 Jan;40(1):100-2.

Detection of Borrelia lonestari in Amblyomma americanum (Acari: Ixodidae) from Tennessee.

Stegall-Faulk T, Clark DC, Wright SM.

Department of Biology, PO Box 60, Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, TN 37132, USA.

Genetic sequences characteristic of Borrelia lonestari (Barbour et al. 1996) were detected in two pools of adult Amblyomma americanum (L.) from Tennessee, corresponding to an estimated minimum field infection rate of 8.4 infected ticks/1000 adults.

DNA amplification was conducted using primers derived from the B. lonestari flagellin gene that would also amplify Borrelia burgdorferi (Johnson, Schmid, Hyde, Steigerwalt, and Brenner).

Species-specific, internal probes were then used to differentiate between genetic sequences of the spirochetes. Subsequent nucleotide sequencing confirmed the presence of B. lonestari in A. americanum; B. burgdorferi was not detected.

This represents the first report of B. lonestari from Tennessee, and suggests that Lyme-like illness may occur in Tennessee.

PMID: 12597661 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement