LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Easy to read, easy to understand link re: brain inflammation, depression

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Easy to read, easy to understand link re: brain inflammation, depression
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://preventdisease.com/news/articles/020808_vaccines.shtml

Forget about the vaccine "bashing"...just look at the explanation regarding brain inflammation-depression-glutamate levels.

It will help you to understand what is happening.

OmegaBrite (very high EPA - an Omega 3) looks to help...a lot. Three a day, all at once, is what my son takes.

It is expensive. GNC carries a very similar new formula that is cheaper.

One lyme patient reported back to me that OmegaBrite really helped him a LOT immediately.

I smiled to myself as my son also noticed an immediate difference. He told me he could think clearer and had less eye "floaters".

(Kids with ADHD, autism, etc. also have ongoing brain inflammation.)

It is important to get the brain inflammation down.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CLR
Member # 22128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe my brain isn't engaged yet, but I find this to be confusing. Are they saying Omega 3 fish oil shouldn't be used, b/c it suppresses the immune system? And what about the DHA, which is also in the fish oil? Below is the excerpt:

So, what should older people do? First, studies have shown that the primary cause of immune deficiency in the elderly is purely dietary. The carotenoids, such as beta-carotene, alpha-carotene, canthaxanthin, lutein and lycopene significantly enhance the immunity of the elderly. Zinc, magnesium and selenium are also essential. One should also avoid omega-6 oils (the vegetable oils-corn, safflower, sunflower, canola, soybean and peanut oils), since they greatly enhance inflammation and depress immunity. The EPA component of fish oils (omega-3 oils) is also a powerful immune suppressant. DHA is not. A healthy immune system means that you can fight infections efficiently and rapidly.

Posts: 28 | From Kansas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huge difference between the "fish oils" and OmegaBrite which is very very high in EPA and has only a little DHA.

I think we have to alter our immune response (and tetracycline does this too!!!) WHILE hitting Bb SIMULTANEOUSLY.

Let me give you more examples.

I had a bad ear infection and nothing was working...abx. ear drops alone, anti-fungals, etc.

But when my doc gave me an Rx for a combination of a steroid (to reduce the inflammation) PLUS an antibotic...all in one liquid ear drop...it worked! Overnight.

My husband had a skin infection...same thing...it was only when the dermatologist gave him an ointment that contained an anti-fungal and a steroid did the skin problem clear up.

I believe the cure for lyme (and there are many ways to do so) may well be 2-fold.

Tame down the immune system (inflammatory cytokines) AND hit Bb.

Inflammation IS a part of the healing process, but it is supposed to shut off. It isn't. That is not good.

Aging and the powerful anti-oxidant, melatonin:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/04/070424062819.htm

It is curious too how during middle age we get fatter in the "middle" ;-), but in old age, we often lose that fat = ketones to supply our brain with an alternative energy?

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really wish that treating inflammation was emphasized much more in the treatment of lyme.

I was speaking with a neurologist the other day who said that NOT ALL INFLAMMATION, ESPECIALLY IN THE CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM, WILL SHOW UP IN THE TESTS THAT ARE CURRENTLY AVAILABLE...

I speculate that inflammation from lyme keeps many of us feeling like hell for years....We can often think coinfections for example are keeping us sick when it fact it may just be the inflammation from the lyme....

So many of us have "classic inflammation-damage symptoms": ex: eye floaters, muscle twitches (many of us have these in the same place just above the knee caps and around our eyebrows); tingling, muscle soreness....

..I wish more research would go into understanding the inflammatory markers of lyme and the long-term consequences of this inflammation...I really think getting on top of inflammation is critical....

Thanks for posting the above, Marnie....

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CLR
Member # 22128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CLR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Marnie:

I'm fascinated by the inflammation discussion. If I could just tame down the brain inflammation, I'm convinced that I would feel a ton better.

Back to the fish oil question. I have some GNC fish oil caplets that contain 300 mg omega-3. On the back it says EPA 180 mg. DHA is 120 mg.

Are you saying this is bad to take b/c of the DHA?

I'm still confused, I guess. Should I take fish oil b/c it may help with my inflammation?

Posts: 28 | From Kansas | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

I'm saying a *very* high level of EPA and some DHA maybe much more beneficial.

OmegaBrite contains (reading the back of the box)

Taking THREE capsules = a serving, this is what one gets:

Vitamin E 3 units = 10% of RDA

EPA = 1,050mg
DHA = 150mg
Other omega 3 fatty acids = 150mg
Omega 6 fatty acids = 60mg
Other fatty acids = 85mg

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I found two products with a similar EPA ratio.

OmegaBrite has a specific 7:1 EPA to DHA ratio.
Country Life Omega 3 Mood has a 6.7:1 ratio.
NSI Omega-3 Mood Formula has a 5:1 ratio.

OmegaBrite cost 21.99 for 60 capsules.
http://www.omegabrite.com/products/gelcaps.html

Country Life, Omega 3 Mood, 90 Softgels
EPA 1000 mg (in two softgels)
DHA 150 mg (this is a 6.7:1 ratio)
90 Softgels, Retail: $29.99, Our price: $11.25
http://www.vitacost.com/Country-Life-Omega-3-Mood

NSI Omega-3 Mood Formula
EPA 1000 mg (in two softgels)
DHA 200 mg (this is a 5:1 ratio)
180 Softgels, Retail: $49.99, Our price: $14.99
http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Omega-3-Mood-Formula#IngredientFacts

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone ever tried the Country Life version yet? Anyone here taking OmegaBrite and noticing miracles? Please let me know.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Member # 773

GNCs brand...after buying it and comparing it side -by side- to OmegaBrite...

OmegaBrite is better.

When comparing...look at 3 OmegaBrites (serving) compared to double serving (2) capsules of GNCs.

It is the high E-EPA, NOT high DHA that is vital.

GNC's has, IMO, too much DHA.

I've read aspirin potentiates EPA.

BTW...EPA is given with the breast cancer drug, Tamoxifen (which is a man-made PKC inhibitor):

http://annonc.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/annonc;14/7/1051

OmegaBrite ..ethyl ester EPA...I'm not a chemist.

Difference?

http://www.omegabrite.com/why/misc/Eicosapentaenoic.htm

aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So how does one cut down on brain inflammation?

I'm convinced that once my daughter's inflammation goes down, her headache will finally go away, but how does one do that?

And how do we know that it is not die-off toxins rather than inflammation causing the symptoms?

Would something like cod liver oil, since it has a lot of omega-3, be just as good as the products mentioned above, or is the EPA:DHA ratio not as good?

So much to learn............

Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From eurekalert, Dec. 16.

Omega 3 supplementation is used alot, but this
study discusses the EPA vs. DHA function, and ratio. Omegabrite uses a large EPA, but this study emphasizes the greater importance of DHA in nervous system functioning.

Northstar
=============

Public release date: 16-Dec-2009
[ Print | E-mail | Share Share ] [ Close Window ]

[email protected]
202-336-5700
American Psychological Association
New study links DHA type of omega-3 to better nervous-system function
Deficiencies may factor into mental illnesses

WASHINGTON -- The omega-3 essential fatty acids commonly found in fatty fish and algae help animals avoid sensory overload, according to research published by the American Psychological Association.

The finding connects low omega-3s to the information-processing problems found in people with schizophrenia; bipolar, obsessive-compulsive, and attention-deficit hyperactivity disorders; Huntington's disease; and other afflictions of the nervous system.

The study, reported in the journal Behavioral Neuroscience, provides more evidence that fish is brain food.

The key finding was that two omega-3 fatty acids - docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) - appear to be most useful in the nervous system, maybe by maintaining nerve-cell membranes.

"It is an uphill battle now to reverse the message that 'fats are bad,' and to increase omega-3 fats in our diet," said Norman Salem Jr., PhD, who led this study at the Laboratory of Membrane Biochemistry and Biophysics at the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism.

The body cannot make these essential nutrients from scratch. It gets them by metabolizing their precursor, α-linolenic acid (LNA), or from foods or dietary supplements with DHA and EPA in a readily usable form.

"Humans can convert less than one percent of the precursor into DHA, making DHA an essential nutrient in the human diet," added Irina Fedorova, PhD, one of the paper's co-authors.

EPA is already known for its anti-inflammatory and cardiovascular effects, but DHA makes up more than 90 percent of the omega-3s in the brain (which has no EPA), retina and nervous system in general.

In the study, the researchers fed four different diets with no or varying types and amounts of omega-3s to four groups of pregnant mice and then their offspring.

They measured how the offspring, once grown, responded to a classic test of nervous-system function in which healthy animals are exposed to a sudden loud noise.

Normally, animals flinch. However, when they hear a softer tone in advance, they flinch much less.

It appears that normal nervous systems use that gentle warning to prepare instinctively for future stimuli, an adaptive process called sensorimotor gating.

Only the mice raised on DHA and EPA, but not their precursor of LNA, showed normal, adaptive sensorimotor gating by responding in a significantly calmer way to the loud noises that followed soft tones.

The mice in all other groups, when warned, were startled nearly as much by the loud sound.

When DHA was deficient, the nervous system most obviously did not downshift. That resulted in an abnormal state that could leave animals perpetually startled and easily overwhelmed by sensory stimuli.

The authors concluded that not enough DHA in the diet may reduce the ability to handle sensory input. "It only takes a small decrement in brain DHA to produce losses in brain function," said Salem.

In humans, weak sensorimotor gating is a hallmark of many nervous-system disorders such as schizophrenia or ADHD.

Given mounting evidence of the role omega-3s play in the nervous system, there is intense interest in their therapeutic potential, perhaps as a supplement to medicines.

For example, people with schizophrenia have lower levels of essential fatty acids, possibly from a genetic variation that results in poor metabolism of these nutrients.

More broadly, the typical American diet is much lower in all types of omega-3 than in omega-6 essential fatty acids, according to Salem.

High intake of omega-6, or linoleic acid, reduces the body's ability to incorporate omega-3s. As a result, "we have the double whammy of low omega-3 intake and high omega-6 intake," he said.

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nefferdun
Member # 20157

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nefferdun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My brain is obviously too inflammed to follow this. All I want to know is If I take this, will I really feel a difference. How many of you see improvement?

--------------------
old joke: idiopathic means the patient is pathological and the the doctor is an idiot

Posts: 4676 | From western Montana | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RZR
Member # 20953

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RZR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am confused...conflicting theories.

So, do we need more EPA or DHA?

--------------------
Tick bite May 2009
Diagnosed June 2009

Posts: 2329 | From SouthEast | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sick Tick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sick Tick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was going to ask that very question. And Marnie, I have another question. I hesitate to take Omega 3 as I am allergic to an oil found in salmon and tuna, but other fish do not affect me. I worry that one of the Omegas is the one I am sensitive to. Does the label on the one you have list the types of fish the oils are from?
Posts: 283 | From where the ticks are! | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
northstar
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I interpreted this as not recommending a specific ratio, but that DHA needs to be part of the formula
to reduce/inhibit the startle response.

Applying this to the OmegaBrite: I am not sure of the DHA content, just that it is a 7:1 ratio.

I did read that the body can convert DHA to EPA, but not (or inadequately) EPA to DHA.

I found another discussion on this at:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/chat/2408967/posts?page=19

First: one of the authors now is part of a company that supplies ingredients for DHA.
Well, the Harvard studies on OmegaBrite have a similar monetary association in that the author is involved with the company that makes the omegabrite.

in the freerepublic article:

quote:
EPA is already known for its anti-inflammatory and cardiovascular effects, but DHA makes up more than 90 percent of the omega-3s in the brain (which has no EPA), retina and nervous system in general.
I interpret that as saying you need both, i.e. not supplement with just EPA.

Krill oil comes from a creature with a shell, not a fish fish, so maybe that could substitute for salmon/tuna? (if you are not allergic to shellfish).

Vegan sites may provide more info on alternative sources. However, I have read in several places that the (flax oil) alpha linoleic (right name?) acid has minimal conversion to EPA/DHA.

Northstar

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sick Tick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sick Tick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Krill oil...thanks, Northstar! I will look for it.
Posts: 283 | From where the ticks are! | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CD57
Member # 11749

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CD57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reducing brain inflammation: why do we not hear more about HBOT? Read this:

Unquestionable truths about hyperbarics: it stimulates stem cell production, it increases immune function, it decreases inflammation, it stimulates hypoxic tissue to regenerate (in the brain too!) and then causes angiogenesis (growing of new blood vessels into damaged tissue). All these things are helpful for lyme patients besides killing the lyme!

Posts: 3528 | From US | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement