LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone else have SKULL probs? concave areas, dent, ridges, sore scalp, sharp pains?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone else have SKULL probs? concave areas, dent, ridges, sore scalp, sharp pains?
karmaa55
Member # 21991

Icon 4 posted      Profile for karmaa55     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wondering if Lyme can cause dents in skull. Sharp localized pains or sensations occur in these areas one area at a time - sudden, sharp and severe.

Maybe more than a dent, they are like a concave area - like someone pushed in a part of my skull with their thumb or a quarter.

After having the pains, I started to get dents or ridges, indents in different spots of my skull.

And my scalp is so sore, if a hair gets caught in a pony tail holder, or if I just rub my head, it is almost like a burning raw sore. Must have sores around on head too because I feel little bump like sores - maybe hair follicles.

I don't know. Sometimes it feels like a corn kernel sized swelling around the head - almost just like the hair would feel lumped up but it hurts and goes away.

This is totally bizarre and I have never seen these kinds of symptoms listed for Lyme.

Can any co infection cause these symptoms? Can Lyme

The pores on my scalp got very big - and have been losing most of my hair. Worst in the front around the forehead and over the ears.

I read bartonella can cause skull swelling and pressure which I also have along with headaches.

One post responded previously saying they had the ridges too. I can feel my pulse through only these spots around my skull - and of course where you can usually feel it. I get the sore constant headaches around the temples but more around the area above the ears.

Most of the dents/ridges are on the back top -
crown of my head but I have gotten smaller dents recently around both front sides of my hairline.

So, the headaches are mostly above the ears, sides and front of head. The pains mostly in the back top or top and on sides too.Anyone get anything like this?

Concave areas, localized sharp pains and soreness after the pain and whose scalp is really sore. I know a lot of people have hair loss. Mine is really getting bad - bald around front where I had hair before.

Please help - I appreciate all who have been responding to me but have not really been getting a lot of input from everyone else and really would appreciate it!!! [Wink]

Posts: 9 | From SUFFOLK COUNTY LONG ISLAND NY NEAR ISLIP & HUNTINGTON, PATCHOGUE, RONKONKOMA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This could be coming from a parasitic infection. I have had similar symptoms and have had actual parasites coming out after aggresive treatment. Check out

www.lymephotos.com

Parasites and worms are a MAJOR componenet of Lyme disease. Do a search on here under parasites and you will find a lot of info.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't have all the symptoms you're describing, but my head was sore, and I benefited immensely from a couple cranial sessions.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Many of us get the sore scalp feeling - it feels like our scalp has a bruise or bruises on it in different places, but never does. It's very weird. And yes, to be touched or rubbed or even when the hair is slightly pulled it ACHES badly. I've had this come and go throughout treatment.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes! I have had scalp burning and pain since the beginning. I later found out that there was a rash there. When I started abx the rash subsided but the pain was still there. I now notice lumps on my scull. I am having a bone scan in a week as something weird showed up on an xray of my jaw.

Have you had a lot of dental work? I'm very curious because I sometimes wonder if there is a relationship to all of the intensive dental work I had just prior.

In addition to Lyme I also have Bartonella. I understand that Bartonella can go into the bone marrow. I don't usually say these things out loud because I'm sure people would think I'm nuts but since you brought it up...

Please let me know if you find anything out. Do you have Bartonella?

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blaze
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get sudden piercing pains in my scalp or the outer edges of my skull - it's hard to tell which, but they are definitely the outer portion of my head. Also, sometimes these pains occur in the cartilage of my ears, which is weird.

Like yours, most of my pains are above the ears on the side of my head and near my forehead. Occasionally though I've had some at the base of my skull in the back. Have you considered electrosensitivity as part of your problem?

Electro Hypersensitivity - Talking to Your Doctor
http://weepinitiative.org/talkingtoyourdoctor.pdf

German Doctors Unite on RF Health Effects:
http://www.powerwatch.org.uk/news/20050722_bamberg.asp

Audio Archives - Interviews with Top Researchers:
http://electromagnetichealth.org/audio-archives-and-more/#patients

I blame cell phone tower exposure on my Lyme - learned that these exposures open up the blood-brain barrier, the reason Lyme is hard to treat.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laceyj
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laceyj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes, sometimes my scalp is sooo tight and cracks
i think its part of the inflammation

But a great therapy to loosen it up and always feels great is a Cranialsacral therapist
they use very light touch but it does wonders to actually get the scalp bones unjammed

those bones on the scalps actually have small sutures that are suppose to move and be loose, they can probably help if you have a dent in an area with several treatments

just to get quick relief have someone or yourself take your fingers and go very lightly , you hardly have to touch it, go in small circular motion from both sides of the temple all the way to the back, behind the ears, and the back of the skull/ head ,

If that makes any sense at all it might help relieve it a litte or if you can do some reflexology on your foot, I am not a massage therapist but I think the big toe would represent the head

Posts: 187 | From FL | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have this too. Not always there and not always in same spot. But boy are they sore spots. I soak in a hot tub with my nose sticking out.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the sore scalp. I can't put my hair in a pony tail because it hurts so much.

I also have a weird concave line going down part of my skull from the front hairline and it's about 3 or 4 inches long.

It's almost like I bashed my head into the corner of a wall at some point but this just seemed to come from out of nowhere.

It doesn't hurt, but I'm constantly feeling it because it's so weird! It feels like something you would expect to have after a car accident or brain surgery.

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kellyb2411
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellyb2411     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get the sore scalp too. Comes and goes.

--------------------
Sx Start Jan 08 (test neg, but herxing)Susp Lyme, Bart + Babs??

ABX
Doxy 400mg + Amox 1g Jun - Sep 08
Rifampin 600mg + Biaxin 1000mg
Tinidazole 1000mg/day - Sep 08 to June 08

Currently taking Salt/C 15g (himalayan salt)

85-90% better

Posts: 231 | From Australia | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aklnwlf
Member # 5960

Icon 6 posted      Profile for aklnwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the raised sore spots that you mentioned and lots of headaches. Still occassionally have burning and stinging also. I also have swelling of a vein in my neck that goes to the back of my skull.

Have major hair loss and a rash behind my ears and along my hairline.

Diagnosed with Lyme, Bart, Myco, EBV and Herpes.

Ice helps along with massage, pain pills and muscle relaxers.

I'm not sure what it is but I'm leaning towards inflammation.

LLNP said encephalitis and prescribed a diuretic which helped. Also mentioned could be vasculitis.

--------------------
Do not take this as medical advice. This comment is based on opinion and personal experience only.

Alaska Lone Wolf

Posts: 6138 | From Columbus, GA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karmaa55
Member # 21991

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karmaa55     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks to everyone who replied.

I always get a headache after any exercise - I usually have one most of the day but the sharp sudden pains -- that ONLY occur in the spots that have the dents or concaved areas are so painful.

Like the rest of you - so sore to touch, hair up basically impossible. Losing so much of my hair, suspect I may be bald in about 2 weeks - before my new results come back.

Bands 47 and 58 came up in my IgG Immunoblot - and two other heat shock proteins I guess. CDC criteria is for 5 bands so test is negative but I have read a lot on if someone has 2 bands or even 1, including 47 and 58 that the dr should suspect Bb.

Dr said bartonella may come back + since I have dogs.

I read the salt and vitamin c website link.

Everytime I eat a high salt meal, my ears turn extremely red and get very hot - I mean HOT.

One day I sat in the sun for 15 minutes or so and it caused a bright red fluorescent rash on my upper chest. Now that area is kinda scarred red - little red vessels and redness with any heat, exercise (which I FORCE myself to do) but always these headaches.

I feel like it may be encephalitis or something though there is staggeringly little on the web about dents etc in head if you are not a baby.

I get SHARP sudden pains, burning, stinging in these spots in my head - one at a time. Afterwards indents are more sore than ever and stay that way for some time.

I have to wait about a month for coinfections and all Lyme testing a new LLMD ID did. I am really scared something is wrong with my brain - both neuros I saw, that were not LLMDs never mentioned Lyme and said since brain MRI, EMG, EKG and transcranial dopplers were all normal, anything neurological was ruled out.

HA - Apparently SPECT scans are the way to go to show damage from Lyme and even improvement post and during treatment.

I have only had cavities at the dentist - no other work. I don't seem to get the pains or problems around electrical, etc items. It just comes whenever wherever. The right top/side of my skull just hurts - bad then ache, on and one.

I feel like these doctors are taking a chance at me dying here for something they do not know about. I have told them about indents - nothing, just kinda say yeaaaa it can happen but nothing else or look at me like I am insane.

I cannot stand it anymore. I am afraid to try to exercise, which I was struggling to do as it was because I ALWAYS get a headache during and after and also seem to get mood swings. This is all tied together somehow to something. Just do not know what yet.

I also have the sensations - every one you could have all over. Hands are going numb now. Face tingles - feels like things are crawling under my skin and on my head and face all day. It is driving me crazy.

I am going to beg a dr to order a SPECT scan of brain. I also heard of a CD57 test that if high, shows Lyme since Lyme is usually only thing to make it high - in blood.

I get dizzy, lose balance - worst with head up and, or eyes closed, fall to side - mood problems, mixing up words, losing thoughts, sentences, jumbling, floaters, vision probs.

I cannot take it

Best wishes to all of you.

Posts: 9 | From SUFFOLK COUNTY LONG ISLAND NY NEAR ISLIP & HUNTINGTON, PATCHOGUE, RONKONKOMA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get really sore spots on my head as well. They feel like little bundles of nerves about the size of a nickle and really hurt to touch. They come and go.

Have always wondered whats causing them too.

Posts: 677 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"feels like things are crawling under my skin and on my head and face all day" It feels that way because they are PARASITES AND WORMS!!!

I have had them push through my scalp with aggressive treatment of antiparasitics and salt/c. Please do a search on here and type in parasites and lyme,

Don't ignore this,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carl
Member # 16126

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a big dent on the crown of my head that was not there 2 years ago.

My wife felt it one day and looked at me and said "Oh my God, what is WRONG with you".

Posts: 67 | From south jersey | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sophia
Member # 42837

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sophia   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello

I have lyme, bitten in June or July, tested positive in September, 2 weeks antibiotics, still having symptoms.

In late November I noticed a big dent (indentation) in my skull at the top back which was definitely not there before. My husband of 20 years confirmed that this dent had NOT been there before. (My general practitioner said the usual doctor reply, oh you must have just never noticed it before)

I am wondering if this could be related to the lyme. I have not been tested for any coninfections yet.

--------------------
Hang in there

Posts: 1 | From Geneva, Switzerland | Registered: Dec 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GretaM
Member # 40917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GretaM     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sophie-2 weeks antibiotics is not enough at this point.

Have you seen an LLMD/LLND yet? If not I would suggest finding one in your area and making an appointment, as well as asking to be put on a cancellation list so you can get in there sooner.

Yes, coinfections are a big issue for most of us that have been bit by infected ticks.

I have a strange lump on my skull that wasn't there previously-like a hard goose egg the size of a giant marble.

Also the crown part of my skull is now flat, with ridges like waves in it. Not sure if that is just the shape of my skull, or what.

I am the same as sickofthepain. The head pain only reduces when I move around. As soon as I sit or lay down, it is like an ice pick being driven into my skull.

I attribute this head pain to bartonella, as when I began treating bartonella, I had a terrible 10 day herx that ramped the ice pick head pain to an "11" non stop for 10 days.

Anyways, hang in there Sophie. With the right doc and treatment protocol, things will get better.

Greta

Posts: 4358 | From British Columbia, Canada | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes to all of the above.

Im always digging and scratching like an old dog...

Woof....

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

EVERYONE complaining of these symptoms needs aggressive parasite treatment. Parasites LOVE the head area and set up camp there laying eggs and larva.

Ticks are carrying filarial worms and it is a MAJOR co-infection often overlooked even by the best LLMDs. I know I keep repeating this over and over again, but I speak from first hand experience.

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW

xrunnerx2012
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 39306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xrunnerx2012     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is gross but does anyone have bumps/scabs/sores on the top of their head that don't itch, but scratch them just because they are there? And when you scratch and pick as it the scab comes off and there is an oily puss-like odor??
Posts: 251 | From Baltimore | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement