LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Females, any here with cysts, fibroids, ovarian pain?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Females, any here with cysts, fibroids, ovarian pain?
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just received the results from my trans-vaginal ultrasound yesterday....not too good.

R ovary very large cyst
Uterus thick and striped, could be endometriosis
and lastly, a very suspicious calcification on my L ovary.

I have been advised that I need surgery to remove the left ovary and to 'see' what else is going on.......

One thing after another,
Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
c3mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16412

Icon 1 posted      Profile for c3mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey FF I've had lots of cysts that have busted. According to the Dr cysts are very common. I asked him if they had anything to do w LD and he said he wasn't sure.

BUT I think if you have a tendency,as there is my family, Lyme can settle and wreak havoc.

Posts: 262 | From ohio | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TerryK
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 8552

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TerryK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear that you have yet another thing to deal with.

I had large fibroids that I was told would need to be removed surgically. I was scheduled for surgery but had to put it off while my father was having open heart surgery.

When it came time for the surgery, they found that the fibroids were gone! My gyno questioned whether she had actually seen and felt them. LOL Thing is, she isn't the only one. The doctor who initially found them, could feel them when she did an exam and she said they were quite large.

During the time that I put off the surgery I *may* have gone through menopause. Not sure when that happened because I stopped having periods in my early 30's when I first started to get really sick. If they disappeared due to menopause, that means I would have gone through menopause in my early 40's. Kind of young but possible.

Also during that time, my herbalist had me on a program to get rid of the fibroids. The program was designed specifically for me via muscle testing.

Both of my doctors were very surprised that they were gone so apprently it's not a common thing to have them just disappear. There were several of these and they were quite large though so perhaps smaller ones can go away easier.

What kind of cyst is it?

This is some useful information about types of cysts:

http://www.womenshealth.gov/faq/ovarian-cysts.cfm#2
What are ovarian cysts?
A cyst is a fluid-filled sac. They can form anywhere in the body. Ovarian cysts (sists) form in or on the ovaries. The most common type of ovarian cyst is a functional cyst.

Functional cysts often form during the menstrual cycle. The two types are:

Follicle cysts. These cysts form when the sac doesn't break open to release the egg. Then the sac keeps growing. This type of cyst most often goes away in 1 to 3 months.

Corpus luteum cysts. These cysts form if the sac doesn't dissolve. Instead, the sac seals off after the egg is released. Then fluid builds up inside. Most of these cysts go away after a few weeks. They can grow to almost 4 inches. They may bleed or twist the ovary and cause pain. They are rarely cancerous. Some drugs used to cause ovulation, such as Clomid� or Serophene�, can raise the risk of getting these cysts.
Other types of ovarian cysts are:

Endometriomas (EN-doh-MEE-tree-OH-muhs). These cysts form in women who have endometriosis (EN-doh-MEE-tree-OH-suhss). This problem occurs when tissue that looks and acts like the lining of the uterus grows outside the uterus. The tissue may attach to the ovary and form a growth. These cysts can be painful during sex and during your period.

Cystadenomas (siss-tahd-uh-NOH-muhs). These cysts form from cells on the outer surface of the ovary. They are often filled with a watery fluid or thick, sticky gel. They can become large and cause pain.

Dermoid (DUR-moid) cysts. These cysts contain many types of cells. They may be filled with hair, teeth, and other tissues that become part of the cyst. They can become large and cause pain.

Polycystic (pol-ee-SISS-tik) ovaries. These cysts are caused when eggs mature within the sacs but are not released. The cycle then repeats. The sacs continue to grow and many cysts form. For more information about polycystic ovaries, refer to our FAQ about Polycystic Ovary Syndrome.

Wishing you the best,
Terry

Posts: 6286 | From Oregon | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Terry, /right ovary= simple unilocular cyst, could be a graafian follicle.

Left ovary= hyperechoic nodule with the suggestion of an eccentric calcification. coulod be a small dermoid although it was not depicted at all onprevious sonogram done 2 years ago.

Uterus endometrail stripe is prominent with possibility of endometrial proliferative disorder.

C3mom thank you for sharing. those cysts hurt like heck when they break?

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to have a complete hysterectomy at the age of 29 (ovaries included.)

I had been told when I got my tubes clamped in 2003 that I had a few small spots of endometriosis. Then three years later I had to have a fallopian tube removed because it was 3X it's normal size and painful. I was told then that I had very severe endometriosis and that I needed a hysterectomy. I didn't want to, so I got a second opinion, and a year later in 2007 I had it done.

I also had very large cysts on both ovaries, 6cm I think they said? One of them burst into my abdomen during surgery.
I wish I hadn't had to have my ovaries removed, but glad I had the hysterectomy. My ovaries hurt a lot, and sex was just too painful.

I was told by an LLMD that she has a gyn friend in CA who has been doing her own studies and has found that with her patients with endometriosis, so far 100% of the endometrial tissue she has tested has come back positive for Lyme..every single one she tested! So that LLMD thinks that if you have endo, you definately have Lyme. I completely believe it.

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Wow Ticky,

I would like to get my tissue tested. I will have to ask the doctor about this.

I am so sorry for your situation as well. You must have to do some sort of hormone therapy now?

I wonder how and where the tissue is tested?

Feelfit

cactus
Member # 7347

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cactus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry you're dealing with this, feelfit!

It does seem to snowball at times, doesn't it?

My LLMD also feels strongly that Lyme is connected to endometriosis.

She quoted some studies done by the endeometriosis association that show a connection - and there is more recent research to support it as well.

Somewhere on LN, there has been discussion about this connection, and if you search you may find some posts from Trails on the topic. She had some good info on it, but doesn't seem to post any more.

It is fairly well accepted that there is a connection between endo and fibromyalgia. Since many who've been diagnosed with fibro actually have Lyme... I'd say the connection with Lyme is definitely there.

I too have struggled with endo and ovarian cysts. Also, adenomysosis, which is when endometrial tissue is embedded within the muscle of the uterus itself - sounds a bit like your "striped" uterus, doesn't it?

It all started soon after we believe I was initially infected with Lyme and company - for whatever that's worth.

(And, oh my, when those cysts burst it is excruciating!)

Most of my endo experience was pre-Lyme diagnosis, so I did not think to check into getting tissue tested, but if you want to explore that option you might call some labs to see who does it.

When I had GB surgery, I know we sent tissue to MDL in NJ, and they tested it for Lyme and other pathogens. So that might be a place to start.

Does Igenex test tissue samples, I wonder?

And Icky Ticky - ouch! We we are hyster-sisters, and had them at almost the same age! I was 28 when I begged and pleaded for a hysterectomy - and had it done.

No regrets on having had it done - had tried all the other options, some of them multiple times, to no avail.

Feelfit, when you are ready to have the surgery - if they are going to be doing any work on the endometriosis aspect - do some checking into which technique you'd prefer.

My recommendation - for what it's worth - is to find the very best microscopic excision surgeon you can afford to see.

Like Lyme - there are particular doctors and techniques within the endo world who see radically different results due to using better techniques which require much more training.

Many surgeons use laser surgery, ablation, etc - but actually cutting out the endometrial tissue seems more effective.

Oh, and I don't mean to overload you with info, feelfit - but there is a great CD series that I love to use during surgeries. I found it just before my second endo surgery, on the endometriosis association website.

Monroe Institute's Hemi-Sync Surgical Support Series.

My gyn surgeon noticed a difference (I've had multiple surgeries with him, bless the man, he is excellent) - and it made recovery easier - less nausea, anyway.

If you want more info on anything, please do pm me.

All the best,
Cactus

P.S. By the way - one of the main reasons for my "cactus" name is because a special kiddo in my life always wanted to know what was going on when I was doubled over in pain - we explained the pain to him has me having a spiky ball, or a cactus, in my belly. Thus, cactus!

--------------------
�Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again?� - A.A. Milne

Posts: 1987 | From No. VA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Thank you very much Cactus for the sharing and for the information. I have a consult with the Surgeon on the 21st and now, thanks to you, I will be armed with some questions.

Awww to the explanation to your kiddo...

Thanks again girls,
Ff

feelfit
Member # 12770

Thank you Grandmother,

I mentioned this to my doctor as well. I said that since my right ovary was cystic and painful as well, why not take it too? Her reply was that then I would have to deal with hormonal problems.

So I don't know. I will have to wait and see what the surgeon has to say. I agree, I don't want anything hanging around that can cause problems later.

Thank you for sharing. No more female pain for you now I hope?

Feelfit

lakes592
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakes592     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My friend who has had lyme for years had to have a complete hysterectomy at 35!

--------------------
If you keep doing nothing...nothing changes!

www.underourskin.com

Posts: 579 | From NH | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Ummmmm this has got me thinking....it gets everywhere doesn't it?
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep, it gets everywhere.

Honestly, I hated getting my ovaries removed. But really I had no choice. My Dr said she "could not ethically leave them there" once she saw them.

I didn't know I had Lyme at the time so recovery was HARD. I think Lyme jumped to action and of course the medically induced sudden menopause... for days I thought I was crazy and my brain would never work right again. That God that passed.
It could also have been that I had a rough surgery to begin with. I almost bled to death (my son is a hemophiliac and I am a carrier... I have a tendency to bleed) and they had to unstick my intestinces from my abdomen wall and scrape the lower part of my spine because the endo was just on EVERYTHING so recovery was hard in a lot of ways for me.

I was on Premrin for over a year, and then Divigel. But I just couldn't stand putting that stuff in my body and worrying about long term side effects. I am now on Bio-identical hormones. They work BETTER for me than the other stuff... but it's expensive.

--------------------

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
j_liz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j_liz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My gyn said I had a good size fibroid and since I have always had so much pain we could do a hyster. When I read the report my fibroid was much smaller than he stated, but hubby and I decided to go ahead.

After the hyster. the gyn came in and said no wonder you were in pain I had fibroids, endo., and adenomyosis.

The confusing part was the removing the ovary due to cysts. My ultrasound said it was on the left, my gyn said the rt. The tech was doing more investigating on the rt. So, who knows? [Roll Eyes]

I said whichever one has the cyst. He really wanted to remove both and was a bit persistent, but my hematologist said to keep one (I have FVL and couldn't have hormone therapy). Gyn said I will be sorry if he has to go back in for the other one later.

Funny thing is on 2 CTscans afterward it showed a cyst on the remaining one and the 2nd showed it had gotten bigger.

Anyway, this is in no way to scare anybody, but it was hell for me! However, when I fully recovered I was happy I did it and if you will feel better in the long run and you don't have any complications you will be glad you did it.

liz

Posts: 471 | From NJ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Thanks Icky and J_liz. Were your surgeris(I have no idea how to spell this at the moment) done by laproscopy or full insision?
j_liz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for j_liz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
laparoscopic
Posts: 471 | From NJ | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Mine was vaginal assisted laparoscopic.

--------------------

karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was told fibroids have something to do with progesterone. Too low.
http://www.personalconsult.com/search.html?cx=012956423408433671291%3Advzwtbnfd1c&cof=FORID%3A9&q=fibroids&sa=Search#313

You should read more about progesterone, I heard it several times.

And I take kelp for little lumps in breasts.

My cyst in kidney is gone with bartonella treatment.

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymielauren28
Member # 13742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymielauren28     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have pretty severe endometriosis and ovarian cysts as well. My gyno has talked to me about a hysterectomy several times, but at 29 I'm just not ready. A year ago I had 2 cysts on my left ovary and a rather large one my right ovary.

Went back a few months ago and the two cysts on my left ovary were gone but the one on the right was still there - but it shrank in size.

I also have really bad periods (like right now - having the period from hell cramp wise) and painful ovulation. Let's not forget that my boobs hurt so bad that I can't even stand to be hugged 2 weeks out of the month.

I NEVER had any of this before Lyme...so yes, it does seem to get everywhere [Frown]

I just started taking Calcium D Glucarate, which is supposed to help flush excess estrogen out of the body - I'll let you know how it goes and I'll also post some good info on it in case you're interested.

--------------------
"The only way out is through"

Posts: 1434 | From mississippi | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
feelfit [group hug] [kiss]

i had many large painful fibroids and they were removed during hysterectomy leaving my ovaries.

still very painful and secually.

gyn exams extremely painful for me still ...

best wishes on success and NO PAIN! hugs

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Thank you ladies,

Very good info here, Lauren, mine are REALLY heavy as well. I am useless for the duration.

Ff

njlymemom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15088

Icon 1 posted      Profile for njlymemom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi feelfit- sorry to hear this is happening to you

i have had cysts, and i could tell full well when they burst

i tried to read some of the posts, so this may have been mentioned somewhere here - but if you did need to have surgery - any chance of having a biopsy done - does igenex do this?

as patients we need as much data documenting where the lyme is in our bodies as possible - you never know when it may be useful

take care - and sending you healing thoughts - C

--------------------
This is NOT medical advice - and should NOT be used to replace your MD's advice. Info is only the opinion of those who publish the site.

The shortest way to do many things is to do only one thing at a time.

cb

Posts: 669 | From somewherebetweentherocks | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
disturbedme
Member # 12346

Icon 1 posted      Profile for disturbedme   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm kind of worried that I might have endo. I have EXTREME cramps during my menstrual period - so bad that sometimes even prescription pain meds don't help. I also have pain/cramps a few days before my period and also pain/cramps during ovulation. Not to mention I feel REALLY awful during my period; I feel SO much sicker, but that's probably due to lyme flare up.

--------------------
One can never consent to creep when one feels an impulse to soar.
~ Helen Keller

My Lyme Story

Posts: 2965 | From Land of Confusion (bitten in KS, moved to PA, now living in MD) | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement