LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Armour Thyroid

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Armour Thyroid
Beautiful Disaster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beautiful Disaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard of a lot of people having success and even reducing some of their pain with Armour Thyroid. I have Hashimtos and no doctor will rx me that and the synthetic stuff isn't working. I found a site that is based out the UK that sells almost anything, especially abx wise, antivirals, etc. Anyway, they sell it.

Do you think it would be okay to order some when I get the money? It's not expensive really, and I really want to give it a try. The site is great, it carries everything almost. I've heard great things about vancomycin (sp) also, they have that as well. What do you think?

Especially about the Armour. I'd like to try it. Doctors here are unwilling to give it a try. But it comes in 60mg and 120 tabs for 32 bucks. Does that sound right? I thought there was something like 2 grain or something like that that should also be mentioned. But I don't know. Any help there?

--------------------
---Beautiful Disaster---
IgeneX WB: IgM: 18+, 31+, 41+, 58+, IgG: 31++, 39 IND, 41++, 31kda Epitope Test: Positive
Labcorp: IgM: 23+, 41+
No LLMD due to money since Sept 2008. Was on Doxy, I.V. Rocephin (30 days), Flagyl. Also dx with Bartonella.

Posts: 139 | From United States, East Coast-ish | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd be damn careful about Vancomycin BD. This is usually a LAST RESORT Abx. You may want it someday to save your life. [Frown] I'm sure the Armour is OK.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sammi
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sammi     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Beautiful Disaster. Personally, I do not think it is a good idea to take thyroid meds without supervision.

Have you had your Free T3 and Free T4 levels tested? Do you have the results?

I do understand how difficult it can be to find a doctor who is knowledgeable. It can be almost as difficult as finding a knowledgeable Lyme doctor.

I also have Hashimoto's and it took years for me to find a good doctor. I suggest calling a compounding pharmacy in your area and asking if they can recommend a thyroid doctor who will consider symptoms and not only the TSH result. (Some thyroid doctors use compounding pharmacies).

This is is how I found my current doctor. He has helped me more in one year than all the other doctors combined that I have seen for years.

Posts: 4681 | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This person has said over and over and over again they DO NOT have money to see docs. [Frown] That's a big issue. I am guessing it gets frustrating to see posts to see a LLMD or see a endo or......

I understand all people just want to help and this is the best/safest route of course.

Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beautiful Disaster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beautiful Disaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wish I had money. I don't understand how you all do it. I'm jealous. I used to when I was married. Don't now. Not a penny. But I understand you are trying to help, and I appreciate that, but not everyone has money....not even a penny.

Thanks seek for listening to me. Thanks to all. I can't express my gratitude enough. It's at the point where I'm going to give up on life because pain meds don't help or I'm going to try and probably bug all of you. I have NO money to even go back to a pcp really. I don't know what to do.

--------------------
---Beautiful Disaster---
IgeneX WB: IgM: 18+, 31+, 41+, 58+, IgG: 31++, 39 IND, 41++, 31kda Epitope Test: Positive
No LLMD due to money since Sept 2008. Was on Doxy, I.V. Rocephin (30 days), Flagyl. Also dx with Bartonella.

Posts: 139 | From United States, East Coast-ish | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laceyj
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laceyj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
what about some iodine supplementation, iodoral or other source?
usually helps thyroid problems,
start very low dose or google a patch iodine test on skin to see if you're deficient?

Posts: 187 | From FL | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Abxnomore
Member # 18936

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Abxnomore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the info on amour thyroid.

15mg is the lowest dose and is referred to as 1/4 grain.

http://www.rxlist.com/armour-thyroid-drug.htm

HOW SUPPLIED

Armour Thyroid tablets (thyroid tablets, USP) are supplied as follows: 15 mg (1/4 gr) are available in bottles of 100 (NDC 0456- 0457-01). 30 mg (1/2 gr) are available in bottles of 100 (NDC 0456-0458-01), 1000 (NDC 0456-0458-00), containers of 50,000 (NDC 0456-0458-69) and unit dose cartons of 100 (NDC 0456-0458-63). 60 mg (1 gr) are available in bottles of 100 (NDC 0456- 0459-01), 1000 (NDC 0456-0459-00), 5000 (NDC 0456-0459-51), containers of 50,000 (0456-0459-69) and unit dose cartons of 100 (NDC 0456-0459-63). 90 mg (1 1/2 gr) are available in bottles of 100 (NDC 0456-0460-01). 120 mg (2 gr) are available in bottles of 100 (NDC 0456-0461-01), 1000 (NDC 0456-0461-00), containers of 50,000 (NDC 0456-0461-69) and unit dose car- tons of 100 (NDC 0456-0461-63). 180 mg (3 gr) are available in bottles of 100 (NDC 0456-0462-01) and 1000 (NDC 0456-0462- 00). 240 mg (4 gr) are available in bottles of 100 (NDC 0456-0463-01). 300 mg (5 gr) are available in bottles of 100 (NDC 0456- 0464-01). The bottles of 100 are special dispensing bottles with child-resistant closures.

Armour Thyroid tablets are evenly colored, light tan, round tablets, with convex surfaces. One side is debossed with a mortar and pestle beneath the letter "A" on the top and strength code letters on the bottom as defined below

Strength Code
1/4 grain TC
1/2 grain TD
1 grain TE
1 1/2 grain TJ
2 grain TF
3 grain TG (bisected)
4 grain TH
5 grain TI (bisected)

Posts: 5191 | From Lyme Zone | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beautiful Disaster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21882

Very helpful abxnmore. Just what I needed. Thanks a ton.

--------------------
---Beautiful Disaster---

Veromia
Member # 22031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Veromia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Take a look at this serrapeptase.

One bottle of 90,000 unit doses , when taking one a day in the morning on empty stomach can last you 3 months for like 50 dollars .

Serrapeptase will be new wave in the US soon although it has been around in
Europe a while
scroll down on this site for the info recomended by my llmd
http://www.enerex.ca/products/serrapeptase_rx.htm

best price-

http://www.abacohealth.com/index.php/prodid/ENX041

--------------------
Let us fight with peace.

Posts: 90 | From Niles, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lpkayak
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5230

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lpkayak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i found out thru testing i need 45 mg of AT and if i take 60 my numbers go crazy

i just need that much and no more...if i run out i crash

i don't think it is smart to take it unless you can get tested

iordoral is a possibility and there are some books about low thyroid

have you done the temperature test? take your temp every morning before you get up and see if it is low...

--------------------
Lyme? Its complicated. Educate yourself.

Posts: 13712 | From new england | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beautiful Disaster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21882

My numbers have been very hypo and then leveled. But then I started losing my hair, just strange things, and they tested me for Hashimotos and it was positive. But I do understand that HOW my thyroid is functioning at the moment is what counts. I've read in many places and some doctors that I've talked to (but they aren't endocrinologists, so they don't even rx synthroid!) that it good to take little thyroid no matter what. Not so much where you think are you gonna explode, but they say the tests show it helps slow the progression of the disease.

I wouldn't just go buy AT for the heck of it.

A Lymie friend from another board did AT and she said that it helped her so much that she felt like she wasn't sure what sx she had was the Lyme or the Hashimotos.

Who knows. It will be a while before I do anything. First I have a doctor who will just agree to test me every so often to see how my body is handling it.

I did feel pretty empowered looking at that HUGE list of abx at my disposal. I kinda feel bad for saying that, but I felt like I can research (hopefully) and find something that works for me. What if I was able to unlock my own combination? lol, okay, I'm being hopeful for once. But still! [Smile]

--------------------
---Beautiful Disaster---

Lymeorsomething
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keep in mind that Armour is not necessarily better than Synthroid. It often depends on the person. I hated Armour but do well on Synthroid and Cytomel. A combo may be of some use to you too providing you can secure a proper dx...

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chicagolyme
Member # 20765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chicagolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is anyone else having trouble getting Armour refilled? My LLMD and pharmacy said it is backordered with the company and they can't fill the RX. My daughter and I are both on Armour for Hashimoto's and have been for awhile. We have to switch to synthroid now which I'm not excited about.
Posts: 15 | From Chicagoland | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beautiful Disaster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21882

I saw it was back ordered on some internet pharmacy websites as well. And thanks everything for the advice, I'm definitely trying 1 thing at a time and ramp up from smaller dosages. It will be a month or so before I can get the money and wait for my supplies to come....and get a pcp appt ( a new one, of course).

I have to wait until I get on the county insurance. That's going to be my project for today I think. I have something to say about our "model" county insurance, but I will either make a new topic or put it under the other thread of the health care plan bashing that someone else posted. [tsk]

Thanks and I'm sure I will have more questions during this month of course but I'm doing my best in answering others questions too so I don't feel like I'm using you all. I can not explain how much it means to have people that care enough to answer my questions. Thanks a million.

--------------------
---Beautiful Disaster---

n.northernlights
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17934

Icon 1 posted      Profile for n.northernlights     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The whole internet is full of messages of Armour Thyroid, and all the others, being back-ordered.
The FDA has ordered Time Caps to stop producing for Major and Time Caps (because they started producing after the grandfather clause)
The FDA also thinks no medicines can be grandfathered, according to a note way down on one of their pages, and will require all producers for an NDA, it looks like. Nothing is clear.
http://endocrine-system.emedtv.com/armour-thyroid/armour-thyroid.html
http://www.savenaturalthyroid.com/

Posts: 366 | From Europe | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement