LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How to treat Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever naturally

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How to treat Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever naturally
lctheobald
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lctheobald     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All my lyme books that give natural or homeopathic cures for lyme say that RMSF is rare and don't give treatment suggestions. But I have it with Lyme. How can I treat it without antibiotics?

Also, I can't do anything in an alcohol base or cat's claw.

Thanks

--------------------
lisa theobald

Posts: 111 | From madison wi | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pamoisondelune
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's easy to get the alcohol out of tinctures. STephen Buhner (second-hand information) says to simmer the tincture for 5 minutes. My additional thought here is that you should add a little water first so it doesn't all just evaporate and dry up.

What i do is, boil some water as for tea. Pour water into small cup. Add alcoholic tincture drops. Wait. I think wait 12 or 15 minutes, that's what people say, something like that, i don't know for sure how many minutes. Easy. I do that routine 3 times a day for 3 or 4 alcoholic tinctures .

I thought RMSF is an emergency? Someone posted here that a way to get abx if you think you've just been bitten, is go to the ER and say "Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever" that you think you might have it--- then by law they have to give you doxycycline, because RMSF is a life or death emergency and must be treated by law. Do you have it chronic??

By the way, i almost died of RMSF when i was 2 yrs old.

---Polly Polygonum

Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linky123
Member # 19974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for linky123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Ictheobald,

RMSF can be really serious, even fatal. I would see a doctor soon.

Our PCP tx my husband right away even before the labs came back, just on suspicion of symptoms. He said people die of it every year, and it can kill you fast.

Sure enough, the lab tests were positive, so the doc was right to treat right away.

He tx him with doxycycline. Our llmd also tx my daughter for it. He used minocycline because of the sun-sensitivity to doxy. It was summertime in Arkansas, so he used the mino instead.

Please don't take RMSF lightly.

Linky

Posts: 2607 | From Hooterville | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought you were already on antibiotics for Lyme...?

Anyway, you could seek out a homeopath for treatment. There's nothing in homeopathic remedies for your GI tract to react to, chemically speaking, except a trace amount of sucrose. Liquid remedies can be made without alcohol using 'dry' remedy pellets.

If you are already on abx, I'm not sure how well homeopathics would work, however. Anything that substantially affects the immune system can weaken the effects of homeopathic medicines. A homeopath could give you some advice.

[ 09-08-2009, 11:16 AM: Message edited by: Truthfinder ]

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is a chronic form of RMSF, as with most TBDs.

However, yes... if it is acute, immediate treatment is necessary. Far too many die of this disease by either waiting too long to seek treatment or by the ignorance of treating physicians who do not recognize the symptoms or seriousness of RMSF.

BTW... NEVER touch a tick if you can help it. This disease, like some others, is transmitted transdermally.

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kitty9309
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19945

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kitty9309     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Melanie-

Do you have any references for chronic RMSF?

Thanks!

Posts: 819 | From East Coast | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Kitty,
I should have known as soon as I mentioned this that someone would ask for references. [Wink] Let me try to dig them up, and I will post a bit later on.

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lctheobald
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18093

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lctheobald     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
putting tinctures in hot water I was told burned the alcholol off but also renders the tincture useless due to the hot temperature.

I was told by tinture place to not put it in hot water above 110 degrees, let sit for 10 mintues. but it still had alchol and burned my bladder.

--------------------
lisa theobald

Posts: 111 | From madison wi | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lctheobald
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18093

i was on doxycyline but quit after 5 days. I had a raging yeast infection. OTC, diflucan nothing kept it from hapening.

Was on the candida diet and everything. Very strick so antibiotics are out.

--------------------
lisa theobald

pamoisondelune
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It depends on what kind of herb is in the tincture! Some substances, like lapachol from Pau d'arco, require both heat and alcohol to be made available, absorbable.

----Polly Polygonum

Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google Herbs + Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever.

If you can't take capsules, open them up and put them into unsweetened applesauce. Looks like they are the same herbs as you would use for Lyme,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lctheobald
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18093

I don't have an issue swallowing capsules. The issue is that I have interstitial cystitis, and normal lyme herbs irritate my bladder, cat's claw sent me to the emergency room.

Tinctures in alcohol cause issues as well.

--------------------
lisa theobald

glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have you ever considered salt/c?

It saved my life and sea salt is a natural bacteriocide,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bejoy
Member # 11129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bejoy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Deseret Biologicals has a homeopathic series remedy for RMSF. I have found their series remedies to be quite effective.

--------------------
bejoy!

"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1918 | From Alive and Well! | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laceyj
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laceyj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
let me know if you find something helpful,
i have it also.

Posts: 187 | From FL | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

Alright, here are a couple of abstracts that show a chronic or persistent RMSF after initial treatment:

Bergeron JW, Braddom RL, Kaelin DL
Persisting impairment following Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever: a case report. [Case Reports, Journal Article]
Arch Phys Med Rehabil 1997 Nov; 78(11):1277-80.

A patient initially presented in the emergency room with fever, confusion, and a petechial rash. Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF) was diagnosed and appropriate treatment was initiated. He subsequently became obtunded and required mechanical ventilation and temporary cardiac pacing. Four weeks later, he presented to our rehabilitation unit with ataxia, hyperreflexia and upper motor neuron signs, dysesthesias, sensorimotor axonopathy demonstrated by electrodiagnostic studies, and a global decrement in cognitive capability. Although he significantly improved in functional mobility and self-care, he exhibited little improvement in his cognitive impairment at 6-month follow-up. An understanding of the natural history of, and long-term impairments associated with, RMSF will be helpful to physiatrists in developing rehabilitation care plans and in assisting such patients with community re-entry.

Long-Term Sequelae of Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever
Lennox K. Archibald and Daniel J. Sexton � 1995 The University of Chicago Press.

Abstract
Twenty-five patients with definite or probable Rocky Mountain spotted fever (RMSF) who were hospitalized for ≥2 weeks were identified from our database of 105 patients. Follow-up information was collected for 20 patients, per telephone and/or medical records. The remaining five patients were lost to follow-up or died.

Nine patients had long-term sequelae (defined as complications related to an original acute infection with Rickettsia rickettsii that persisted for greater than 1 year following hospital discharge). The ages of patients with sequelae ranged from 2 to 74 years (mean and median, 38 years); duration of follow-up ranged from 1 to 18 years (mean, 11 years). The mean lengths of hospitalization for patients with and without long-term sequelae were 47 days and 20 days, respectively (P less then .05).

Long-term neurological sequelae included paraparesis; hearing loss; peripheral neuropathy; bladder and bowel incontinence; cerebellar, vestibular, and motor dysfunction; and language disorders. Nonneurological sequelae consisted of disability from limb amputation and scrotal pain following cutaneous necrosis. These data suggest that significant long-term morbidity is common in patients with severe illness due to RMSF.

If you search 'Persisting RMSF following treatment', you will find more.

pamoisondelune
Member # 11846

These quotes do not say the Rocky Mtn Sp.Fever itself persisted, only the effects thereof.

"that persisted for greater than 1 year"--- "that" refers back (probably) to "complications", not to the immediate antecedent "infection", although the writer has not followed the rule for ironclad grammatical clarity.

Write clearly, everyone!

----Polly Polygonum

Melanie Reber
Member # 3707

If you search the title to read the article, it is more informative re: persisting symptoms. I am limited in time, or would have searched for more studies.

Please keep in mind, that 'Symptoms of Unknown Origin' have been described in previously treated Bb and other TBD infections as well...

and we know all about that controversy, right?

When interpreting any study... I believe any reader usually derives varying conclusions. Not to mention the authors themselves. We ALL have biases. [Wink]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement