LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Index finger horribly painful, swollen, inflamed all of a sudden---anyone else?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Index finger horribly painful, swollen, inflamed all of a sudden---anyone else?
Rumigirl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone else had really bad finger (and other joints) pain, swelling, and inflammation that comes up all of a sudden and is really bad?

Yesterday, all of a sudden, my index finger, and some other fingers to a lesser extent, got horrifically painful, swollen, and inflamed. I could barely move the finger at all It was non-stop excruciating, in spite of two doses of Ibuprofen close together.

I've had this on and off for decades, although this is the worst I've ever had it. Although I have lots of joint pain and destruction, only the index fingers get this bad so all of a sudden. I do have Lyme and co-infections, and am treating now with a lot of abx (after years of trying alternative methods).

I usually associate this with eating too many fruits and veggies and getting too alkaline. (Yes, contrary to what people think, it's not uncommon to be too alkaline!) Then the calcium precipitates out of the bones.

But this time, I figured out that it also had to do with having some tomato and potato for two days prior (nightshades that can cause arthritis). But this was sooo extreme! And I didn't have that much tomato, except some pizza the night before.

Anyone else have this or have any feedback?? Today it's getting better, but is still bad.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I have had this happen with my right knee. It's gotten red and swollen and hurt so bad that I literally could not bend or put weight on it. This started happening in 2008, around the same time I started getting very sore legs/feet every 28 days or so. I've had Lyme since 1996.

There isn't anything that helps with the pain or inflammation that I have found. Mine is gone within 2 days. It's so strange.

Take care,
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may get some relief if you treat this with a warm soak.
The heat will cause the blood vessels to relax and expand, so there will be more blood with oxygen and nutrients to heal.

Use a large pot of very warm water.
Set it on a chair next to you, and read the paper while you have your hand in the water.

A large amount of water will keep the heat longer than a small amount.
You can soak for 20 to 30 minutes, every two hours, or as often as you can manage.

Don't forget the towel!
Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Veromia
Member # 22031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Veromia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I first developed strong symptoms after pregnancy It was a swollen index finger and knee.

At the time we didnt know what it was so a neurologist gave me steroids it went away but the steroids increased my general flu-like symptoms and others . Do not take steroids maybe you already know this.

I would suggest looking into serrapeptase. My LLMD suggests the 90,000 units aday in the morning on an empty stomach.

It helps inflammation and pain as well as many other things like breaking up spirichete biofilms making your abx more effective. read this info on it.

scroll to the bottom of the page that appears for the info on it . it is a natural enzyme

http://www.enerex.ca/products/serrapeptase_rx.htm

--------------------
Let us fight with peace.

Posts: 90 | From Niles, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rumi - just curious - do you click your computer mouse with this index finger? Lyme likes to go where there is less oxygen, which is what can happen in compressed places.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rumigirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I use my thumb for the mouse.

It's weird though, I've had this most on my index fingers, and secondly on my middle fingers, and the joints are big and twisted so the finger isn't facing the right direction.

I was told by a Rheumatologist that I have Rheumatoid Arthritis---this was decades ago before I knew about Lyme. I knew even then that it was infectious, but then blamed it on Candida and parasites that I was fighting. I didn't have the ANA blood factor, but all the signs and symptoms.

I have it in my big joints, too, but that is a different presentation.

My most recent change of meds was 7/30---a while ago.

Posts: 3771 | From around | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin123
Member # 9197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Robin123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rumi - just curious - do you click your computer mouse with this index finger? Lyme likes to go where there is less oxygen, which is what can happen in compressed places.
Posts: 13116 | From San Francisco | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Today the finger is numb to boot. It might seem impossible for it to be painful and numb at the same time, but it isn't, unfortunately. It's getting better, but still is quite swollen, painful, throbbing, and can't move much. Sigh.
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rumigirl,
Have you been able to try warm soaks yet?

This is not intended to cure the problem, but it may provide some symptom relief.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
richedie
Member # 14689

Icon 1 posted      Profile for richedie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, calcium precipitates out of the bones when you are too acidic. That is why heavy meat eaters and heavy milk drinkers tend to have weaker bones and more joint problems. Acidosis plays a role.

Somethign I found:
http://www.naturalnews.com/023097_water_health_food.html

--------------------
Mepron/Zith/Ceftin
Doxy/Biaxin/Flagyl pulse.
Artemisinin with Doxy/Biaxin.
Period of Levaquin and Ceftin.
Then Levaquin, Bactrim and Biaxin.
Bactrim/Augmentin/Rifampin.
Mepron/Biaxin/Artemisinin/Cat's Claw
Rifampin/Bactrim/Alinia
Plaquenil/Biaxin

Posts: 1949 | From Pennsylvania | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Actually, that's a myth that one can't be too alkaline. I've been a practitioner myself for many decades, and have done a lot of testing on myself and my clients over many years.

It's not good to be too alkaline or too acid. And it all depends on which part of the body, what time of day, etc.

However, when I am too alkaline, which can be seen on a urine ph test, also, the calcium precipitates out of the bones, and I get really awful arthritis, allergies, etc. And I'm then prone to getting sick. And it is reproducible in others who have this metabolic tendency, which is fairly common.

Anyway, my finger is getting better, but it's still numb and swollen.

Thank you, Carol, I didn't soak in hot water, because it was already throbbing and red and swollen. Perhaps it would have helped anyway, but there seemed to be too much blood or fluid there already.

Veromia
Member # 22031

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Veromia     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your a practitioner ? So then what do you think of the serrapeptase?

--------------------
Let us fight with peace.

Posts: 90 | From Niles, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

It can be great, with one caveat: if you tend to be too alkaline, as I am, it can further alkalinize you and cause more arthritis symptoms!! Strange, but true. I have had a hard time tolerating it for that reason. I can only take it with an acidifier, like timed=release Hcl, and, even then, only one capsule at a time.
D Bergy
Member # 9984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for D Bergy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have found that when Lyme cysts are killed in the joints constant Arthritic pain and swelling occurs.

It also can be from other forms, but this pain will subside as it is cleared out quickly.

Do not have a solution yet, but effective treatment that kills all forms will bring increased and longer lasting joint pain. At least that is our experience.

Dan

Posts: 2919 | From Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rumigirl
Member # 15091

Thanks, Dan. I do know this, but forgot it! I hope that's what it is---at least that would mean progress. I was off IV for a few days when it happened, but was still on orals. What an odessy!

It's finally much better, but not all better. I do wonder about the tomatoes, though, as I've had this reaction before from them. But I didn't have that much of them, and this was the worst I"ve ever had it.

Aef
Member # 22304

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Aef     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I too have had swollen middle and index fingers on my right hand now for months. Been to derm several times and each time he thinks it is a fungus and treats me with meds and doesn't go away. He also suggested I soak them in white vinegar and water everyday. Just recently I was diagnosed with Lyme and am now on Doxy. Still the swollen fingers remain. I am anxious to see if they get better after the doxy treatment. My only explanation is due to the Lyme. So far none of the doctors I have been to have any explanation for them. Good luck.
Posts: 3 | From Landenberg, Pennsylvania | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement