LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Dilemna; thinking of just stopping all abx

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dilemna; thinking of just stopping all abx
TxLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have only been diagnosed for 3.5 months with Lyme so I am still very confused...and it seems all the reading here is only getting me more confused.

I'm hoping some of you can help me with my dilemna. It seems to me from all I have read and discoverd so far that most people don't really get better from abx.

Let me clarify what I am thinking. Some people feel better on abx but then relapse when off, some people feel worse on abx (that's me) possibly because of herxing. But it seems very few actually get better with abx.

And with all the possible problems abx can cause ie: candida, repressed immune system which can lead to "superbugs", GI problems etc...why continue? I guess for some, there is improvement but for me, I am seeing none.

I am very fearful that the abx are going to make me worse, not better.

I have lived with Lyme (I think) for 9-10 yrs and my main symptom has really only been fatigue and hair loss. I've had various other things come and go but nothing debillitating. In fact I have lived a pretty normal life MOST of the time.

Now that I am on my 2nd round of abx (Ceftin) I feel 5x as bad as I had before....and this has lasted 3 weeks with no end in sight. (I didn't feel this bad on Doxy) Does a herx last that long? I can't stand it anymore...I don't have the luxury of laying around with 3 kids and a job.

My thinking now is that if abx isn't going to cure me...or even make me feel better then why bother?

I know there are a lot of holistic and natural treatments, supplements etc but there are so many out there I don't know where to begin. I am taking probiotics, olive leaf, B50, CoQ10, Vit D and sticking to a sugar free/carb free diet.

For those of you that gave up abx, how are you feeling...and if you are feeling better, what did you do to get there?

--------------------
TxLymie
IgG-Negative
IgM - Postive bands 23 and 41

Other dx: 2000: Endometriosis 2009: Chronic EBV, Mycoplasma infection, HHV6, H.pylori

Posts: 297 | From Houston | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi, I was on abx for 4 yrs. When I started using alternatives such as herbs and salt/c I made really good progress.

I probably needed the abx in the beginning because I was so sick, but I had to try other things and that's when I started to make progress. After over 3 yrs of aggresive alternative tx, I am so much better,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20847

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TxLymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So 4 years on abx not much improvement? Then 3 yrs on alternative tx and great improvement?

That's why I'm thinking I might skip straight to the alternative tx. I think I am already developing GI problems from the abx and I certainly don't feel better at all!

--------------------
TxLymie
IgG-Negative

Other dx: 2000: Endometriosis 2009: Chronic EBV, Mycoplasma infection, HHV6, H.pylori

Posts: 297 | From Houston | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Sorry for what you are going through. It can be very rough in many ways. Still, I hope you can find a good path and see it through to the other side.

3.5 months is not nearly long enough to see improvement with lyme treatment. Thirty weeks, minimum - or much longer in some cases.

See this: www.clinicaladvisor.com/Controversy-continues-to-fuel-the-Lyme-War/article/117160/

-------

Were you assessed for other tick-borne infections? That is very important to determine for the best treatment.

Be sure to read the books by Buhner and by Zhang. Singleton's, too, is high recommended so you understand how to support the endocrine system, etc.

I highly recommend Zhang's book and, were I able to have continued, would have stuck it out. I did great for the few months (twice) that I could do the whole plan. Longer is needed. It is well worth it and very good quality product. Excellent, in fact. But I spent all my pennies long ago on a lot of stuff that did not actually address the infection.

Regardless of what you think about leaving abx behind, it is still good to study Burranscano' protocol and learn all about the spirochete and how it works so that you can outsmart it.

Just my opinion but, with what you listed, it is not nearly enough to get you anywhere. Olive leaf would be the only antimicrobial and while it can be good it is not nearly enough alone. I know, I relied on that for a long time. You don't want to be here ten years from now, believe me.

Even with natural methods, very precise combination formulas are required . . . or rife . . . etc. Often abx with herbs are best.

Do you have a good LLMD, one is is versed in all the options? The main problem with abx is that liver support is often neglected. If that and other supplements are in place, the abx can do their work w/o doing damage.

===========

www.lymeinfo.net/alt.html

LYME DISEASE ALTERNATIVE THERAPIES

==============

www.ilads.org

ILADS

===========

www.lymediseaseassociation.org

Lyme Disease Association (You can also purchase DVDs of ILADS seminars here.)

===========

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, holds great information about pharmaceutical and complementary treatments and self-care:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

=================================

http://tinyurl.com/5vnsjg

Healing Lyme: Natural Healing And Prevention of Lyme Borreliosis And Its Coinfections - by Stephen Harrod Buhner

Web site through: www.gaianstudies.org/lyme-updates.htm

==================================

http://tinyurl.com/5drx94

Lyme Disease and Modern Chinese Medicine - by Dr. QingCai Zhang, MD & Yale Zhang

-web site: www.sinomedresearch.org and use "clinic" and then "clinic" for the passwords or call Hepapro through www.hepapro.com

-=================

to better understand the process:

Biofilms of Borrelia burgdorferi and Clinical Implications for Chronic Borreliosis - Alan B. MacDonald, MD

May 17, 2008
University of New Haven
Lyme Disease Symposium
New Haven, Conn.

74 pages, pdf:

www.molecularalzheimer.org/files/Biofilm_New_Haven_ppt_Read-Only_.pdf

=================

http://tinyurl.com/5crsjv

Cure Unknown: Inside the Lyme Epidemic - by Pamela Weintraub

This details what an entire family went through. Having this knowledge of their journey will help others to get better, faster treatment.

===============

www.lymecommunity.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

A Bulletin board for lyme patients interested in or using RIFE.

-===========

And, good luck.

-

[ 09-16-2009, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

New:

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/85275

Topic: 13 Doctors have worked together to write a Lyme treatment Book

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
O2Btickfree2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for O2Btickfree2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I was diagnosed in 2000. I like you was scared.
With all the issues of abx being bad and wondering if it was harming me more than helping. for eight years i would take meds for 8 months or so then go off i would hold out for almost a year then i was downhill again. Is this correct treatment probably not. But like you i was scared. This went on until that year passed until 6 years. Now doc thinks i have relapsed not proven yet.

My concern is that if you dont treat then serious complications can occur, heart issues, mind issues, arther etc.

I think treatment is a personal thing people have to decide for them selves and there doctor.
I do know doing nothing isnt a good option. Once you get so far down physically it takes longer to pull yourself back up again. I spent 8 long years mostly in bed i do not want to ever go down that road again if i can help it.

Not to speak of the damage they lyme does to your body while doing nothing.

You have a great support group here who will do all they know to encourage you when your down. I know they helped me for a long time.

Posts: 112 | From Ohio | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GraceT
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16558

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GraceT     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi TXLymie - I have been using only alternative methods and feel the layers slowly peeling away.

First to go for me was borrelia, then herpes classes.

Am now working on Mycoplasma & tackle TB, Nanobacteria, Candida and Chylamidia.

Tools used: Rife, Bionic 880, Classic Homeopathy drops, SCIO

From two pages of symptoms, I now have only six. This could change at any time depending on what peels away and what climbs to become top issue.

Like you, I was wary of the abx; learned of damages to others. Sure, there are success stories for abx, but this would not have been so for me. Very glad this was not my path.

Special prays to you as you decide your path. Grace

Posts: 212 | From Arizona | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TxLymie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20847

Thank you all for the responses. I will definitely get some of the books recommended.

And also thank you all for the support. It's nice to have a group who understands. I want to stay positive but lately I have been very down.

Keebler, what else should I take besides Olive Leaf? I am also on a good pro-biotic.

I do have Burrascanos treatment guidelines and continue to read that. My doc is not an LLMD but most people in my area who have Lyme go to her. She is very Lyme friendly and knows quite a bit about it. She diagnosed me without me ever even knowing a thing about Lyme. I just thought I had CFS.

Grace, what is TB, Nanobacteria?

--------------------
TxLymie
IgG-Negative

Vermont_Lymie
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most people do get better with antibiotic treatment.

Depending on how sick a person is, how many co-infections, how long they had lyme, abx treatment can be long-term (over 1 year).

Many people also use abx intensively and then use alternative protocols to stay well.

Your best chance for good health is to read alot on these complex diseases, and work with a lyme literate health practitioner.

Some people who are not that sick (it ranges widely; some are totally disabled and terribly ill, others can have mild symptoms) seem to get better with little treatment. Lyme can be a relapsing/remitting disease, which might explain some of that.

Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe quite people do get better on abx, but then get on with thir lives rather than hang around the Lyme forums, but there isn't one sole way to get better.

Why not incorporate some natural approaches whilst on your abx regime and give it a realistic time period, since you have already invested a few months on abx?

If you do decide to stop, however, I would follow a complete alternative protocol [eg Condensed Cowden, Buhner, Zhang] if you can afford it rather than go it entirely alone.

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-

TxLymie,

You asked: " . . .what else should I take besides Olive Leaf?"
-

It's not that simple. It would be irresponsible of me to just guess. Professional medical advice is best. Then, while waiting for an appointment, It's best to perhaps start reading through some of the books posted above.

Sorry it's so complex and that no one can just give you a quick grocery list for what you need. I do hope that some of the links will guide you. I do hope, though, that you can find a excellent LL doctor.

You might consider a LL ND (naturopathic physician) but be sure they are a member of ILADS so they really understand the science of the infection and what is required to treat it. Many LL NDs incorporate abx with supplements just as many LLMDs incorporate supplements with abx.

Your local lyme support group may be of help in locating a doctor. I know Texas is not swimming with LL docs of any kind, but the group can give you some ideas.

Rife may also a good option to consider, with supportive supplements to help your liver and adrenals.

Best of luck.

-

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement