LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Lyme Disease now Graves Disease what's next!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lyme Disease now Graves Disease what's next!
lakes592
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakes592     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I posted about extreme fatigue and was advised on here to have my doctor do some blood work. I assumed the fatigue was from the Lyme. My doctor called and said they need to send me to an Endocrinologist. They think I have Grave's Disease, It runs in my family.

From what I read so far it doesn't seem like anything serious but my poor body is already fighting the Lyme and this just seems like an added stressor. Between the Lyme and the Graves I guess it is a wonder I can stay awake at all. I wonder if anyone on here knows what to expect at the Endocrinologist or knows anything about it?

Thanks,
Ann

--------------------
If you keep doing nothing...nothing changes!

www.underourskin.com

Posts: 579 | From NH | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lyme can and does attack the thyroid so Graves may actually be lyme.

Blood tests for thyroid malfunction are not really specific. Saliva testing for free hormones is much more specific.

Have studied natural hormones for years with big dog natural health pros.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this brings up an interesting point about thyroid.

i am borderline normal, but still normal. one doctor said to take meds, but my llmd says no.

this is all so confusing...

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakes592
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18905

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lakes592     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,
I would prefer to do natural treatments if I could. I would think it was from the Lyme but my grandmother and two aunts have it so I think I would have it regardless of the Lyme. Although the Lyme may have activated it because they were much older when they were diagnosed with graves so who knows.

I guess my grandmother and one aunt had surgey and my other aunt takes medication. Not sure what route I will go yet as I have to see the Endocrinologist.

Thanks to those who said to get my blood work checked. I always assume Lyme for everything esp. the fatigue. I am hoping whatever they do for treatment it helps with the fatigue that will be a big improvement to my life.

--------------------

www.underourskin.com

Posts: 579 | From NH | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They don't really know what causes Graves.

I would suspect it is genetic most

likely. I would not waste my time on treatments

that usually do not work and only weaken the

patient. I would opt for surgery to take some of

it out to stop the symptoms.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
zil
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was diagnosed with Graves about 4 yrs ago. The endo checked my thyroid receptor antibodies and they were elevated. He put me on an antithyroid med called tapazole. It put me in remission. Google Elaine Moore and hyperthyroidism. She has a website and a ton of info.
I have a pituitary problem and adrenals. I don't know what the Lyme caused or genetics. No one in my family has any problems though. Just dx'd with Lyme a little over 2 yrs ago. I've been disabled/sick for 10.

Posts: 383 | From Ar | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband has Graves Disease and no (known) Lyme. It made him hyperthyroid so he was jittery rather than tired.

He took the medicine to control it for a while. Everyone else in the family needs to be gluten free and I had read that gluten intolerance/celiac could cause Grave's Disease so he agreed to do the GF diet, too.

He has been able to stop the medicine. The endocrinologist told him from the start that some people go into remission from the medicine so I don't know if the GF diet had any part in it or not.

Grave's Disease is another autoimmine disease.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakes592
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18905

Thanks for the info everyone. Jkmom that is interesting that you mention the Celiac's because I remember my Aunt saying that she was not susposed to eat gluten. I will look into that.

Thanks,
Ann

--------------------

www.underourskin.com

just don
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted      Profile for just don     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I 'suspect' I have thyroid issues also.

but wanted to point out ONE factor in severe fatigue.

I switched to sea salt a couple years ago.. It does not have iodine.

Some KIND soul from this board,,,you know who you are,,,sent me a link to iodine def. and sxs it causes,,,whammo me to a "T".

Thought what can I lose at THIS point. stopped at health food store and bought a 5 buck bottle of Kelp,,,which is a Great way to have natural iodine

within a day I was 300 percent better in the fatigue department.

unfortunately the bottle ran dry,,,,I didnt get back to buy any. couple months aprox. pass,,,fatigue overwhelms me again.

Back to health food store for another try. SAME result,within a day,remarkable improvement.

not saying all,,but MUCH fatigue CAN be low iodine intake,,okay kelp intake!! One warning,,too much is as dangerous as too little!!

But for the severe fatigue people,,,invest 5-10 bucks in a 'possible' temp fix. You wont find this at wally world.

IF energy doesnt improve in a week,,,maybe its not doing YOU any good!! But I hope this post does more good!!

--------------------
just don

Posts: 4548 | From Middle of midwest | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hi ann,

my hubby has had grave's disease for 25-30 yrs. now!

he lost 100 lbs. before we finally got him diagnosed; he wouldn't open up to the drs. when i wasn't around...so i'm his spokeswoman to get out the problems and see what they can do.

he's been on thyroid meds since; going from hyper to hypo, etc.

he's also UNDIAGNOSED LYME, and i had western blot done on him after my positive diagnosis, but my newbie learning llmd didn't know how to read dr. c's w.b. explanation.

hubby suffers this way with graves disease:

his eyes feel GRITTY, and tear up; WIPE THEM IMMEDIATELY AS THE WATER WILL STINK TERRIBLY !!

i have it dark in here, but when his eyes are acting up, it's pitch black in the house; can not be around light at all.

takes only his thyroid pills; has some eye drops to use if necessary when they are acting up.

he gets terrible pressure BEHIND the eye ball when it acts up. his eyes get REALLY GLOSSY also.

hope this helps you a little...

also when diagnosed, he took a RADIOACTIVE PILL at hospital; we never did get a bill for that!!

he had to collect his pee, etc...that potent; i was afraid to kiss him during the time until it all came out of his urine...

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakes592
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18905

Hi,
I will look into the kelp. Anything to help with the fatigue would be great. I do have light sensitivity like your hubby Betty but not to that extreme, but my eyes have been bothering me lately alot. Hard to wear contacts, watery and double vision to that point that I have been nervous about it sometimes feeling like I may lose my sight. Scary feeling so hopefully that gets better as well.

Thanks,
Ann

--------------------

www.underourskin.com

Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lakes you could try the iodine suggested. I would

also stay away from all tap water. Drink only

bottled purified water. Lots of chemicals go into

water treatment. Then see what happens. I would

not hesitate seeking medical treatment for any

symptoms such as racing heart. By the time they

found my cousins it was to the point blockers did

not work and they told her if they did not get it

out it would kill her. This was after many trips

to ER with could not find anything. Duh.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leelee
Member # 19112

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leelee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is an interesting discussion as I too suspect I have a thyroid problem.

My thyroid testing always comes back borderline normal and last week I asked my LLMD about it.

He said at some point I should probably be on medicine for hyperthryoidism. That left me feeling a little "odd" as I would like to take care of all my health problems if I can.

As the original poster, I have unbelievable fatigue.

--------------------
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy. Martin Luther King,Jr

Posts: 1573 | From Maryland | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bncrump
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bncrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hope that you get some answers but thought I would share something real quick...

Untreated, Graves disease can be very dangerous. If your levels get too low (TSH that is), you could have a thyroid storm and die. Chances are, if you are not in the hospital when you have one, you will not survive. Not trying to scare you but it is the truth.

It is very important to stay on top of your levels and treat the disease properly. There are no herbal remedies for Graves Disease that I know of.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/Thyroid-Disorders/show/73

Hope this helps and good luck.

Posts: 114 | From Atlanta, GA | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dmc
Member # 5102

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dmc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bncrump is correct. Plus hyperthyroid can contribute/cause psychologic problems.
Posts: 2675 | From ct, usa | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

lakes592 ,

Do you have a LLMD? I would never consider accepting a dx, prognosis and treatment plan from just one doctor who was not communicating with your LLMD about this.

Lyme really messes with the immune system and all autoimmune dx should be examined in light of that by someone who is expert in the field.

It could be a temporary thing, error in tests - or you could have Graves. Still, a lyme expert should be consulted before you make assumptions and start any kind of treatment, even self treatment.

Yes, this is a serious matter and you can't just ignore it but, IMO, you really need the second opinion of a lyme expert. Any Endocrinologist you may see should be lyme literate. See if your LLMD can refer you to a good one. If you don't have a LLMD, call the ones closest to you and see if they can offer some names.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beautiful Disaster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beautiful Disaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My cousin has Graves. I have Hashimotos. She doesn't have Lyme. But I will say my dx of Hashimotos didn't show up until AFTER I was dx with Lyme. Not every single thing is Lyme though, Hashimotos (and other autoimmune diseases) run in my family. My grandma had Hashimotos. My mom has this thing where her hair falls out in patches. My mom has had hypothyroid ever since I can remember, my dad as well.

I will say that the hypo sx (or Hashimotos sx) in our family are very different from the Graves that my cousin experiences. She doesn't have fatigue. She is jittery. She lost a ton of weight (as if that girl could get any skinnier!).

It's hard for me to know if the Hashimotos came from genes, or from Lyme, or if the Lyme brought it out. I know that a lot of ppl here have Hashimotos as well, so that's why I always suspect Lyme.

--------------------
---Beautiful Disaster---
IgeneX WB: IgM: 18+, 31+, 41+, 58+, IgG: 31++, 39 IND, 41++, 31kda Epitope Test: Positive
Labcorp: IgM: 23+, 41+
No LLMD due to money since Sept 2008. Was on Doxy, I.V. Rocephin (30 days), Flagyl. Also dx with Bartonella.

Posts: 139 | From United States, East Coast-ish | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SForsgren
Member # 7686

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SForsgren         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was dx with Grave's disease last year, but I did not believe I truly had it. I was convinced that I had overstimulated my thyroid using other treatments so I decided not to pursue radiating it, etc. I used a product from WTSMed called ThyroCalm PX which is a natural product for Graves. It helped calm things down and I am no longer using it now.

I agree that it has to be taken seriously, but I hope you find a doctor that won't jump right to trying to radiate it if that can be avoided.

--------------------
Be well,
Scott

Posts: 4617 | From San Jose, CA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lakes592
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18905

It is weird that this just came about because I was just looking into a Parathyroid supplement from progressive labs called Para Thyrolate before my blood work even came back because a woman said that if your parathyroid is not properly functioning you will not be able to get Candida under control.

Now I am wondering if it is a totally seperate thing from Grave's or part of it or what the difference is? Does anyone know anything about that and is that something that is checked when they do the bloodwork?

I also wondering I just lost about 35 lbs in the last couple years but have maintained my current weight for over a year. I am wondering if I do the treatments for graves will I get fat again? I really don't want that to happen it was hard enough losing the weight the first time!
Thanks,
Ann

[ 09-19-2009, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: lakes592 ]

--------------------

www.underourskin.com

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement