LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » inhaler for air hunger?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: inhaler for air hunger?
Radha
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Radha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
have any of you tried an inhaler like proventil

or something like it for air hunger, but no

wheezing or asthma? i have babs and lyme and have

terrible problem trying to get a deep breath and

only a deep yawm helps, but i wonder if using an

inhaler would help this, i definately do need any

stimulants or feeling hyper since i am already

hyper most of the time, any help would be

appreciated, thanks

Radha

Posts: 392 | From New York | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
opus2828
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15407

Icon 1 posted      Profile for opus2828     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried xopenex but it did nothing for me.

Sometimes caffeine will help and I'll drink unsweetened iced tea. It does not contain a lot of caffeine - I find it is just enough.

Posts: 581 | From CT | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-

Be sure to avoid any that have steroids - unless your LLMD recommends it.

No inhaler has ever worked well for me - lots of side effects. But Atrovent HFA may be easier to tolerate as it is less stimulating (still the side effects can be very serious).

http://www.drugs.com/mtm/atrovent-hfa.html

Read up on all the possible side effects from any inhaler. Here's a start for the one you mentioned. http://www.drugs.com/proventil.html

===================

Carol in PA brought this to my attention:

Cisca Saltpipe

http://www.thesaltpipe.co.uk/

It took a couple weeks to arrive from U.K. There are vendors on ebay with similar products that would ship faster.

This is supposed to help with Asthma too, and the product reviews show that it does.

================

Cordyceps, a supplement suggested by many LLMDs had helped my lungs. Allicin, too, really helps my breathing.

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/cordyceps-mushroom-cordyceps-sinensis.html

Cordyceps

WHAT IT DOES: Cordyceps mushroom is sweet and bland in taste, and warming in action. It strengthens immunity and fortifies and heals the lungs, heart and kidneys. Used as a tonic for weakness in the elderly and to promote longevity.

- full chapter at link above. From the book: The One Earth Herbal Sourcebook (Tillotson)

=================

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Cordyceps, lungs - 23 abstracts

=======================

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008)

See page 3: Cordymax - and more info about cordyceps

================

Stinging Nettle (and also Quercetin) helps me breath.

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/important-herbs/stinging-nettle-urtica-dioica.html

STINGING NETTLE (Urtica dioica)

Excerpt:

* Nettle leaf extracts reduce inflammation, in part, by suppressing the release of inflammatory cytokines. They do this by blocking a chemical inducer known as NF-KappaB, which alters gene expresion. This may be one explanation for the beneficial efffects this herb has exhibited in rheumatoid arthritis (Riehemann et al., 1999).

* One set of in vitro experiments on live blood using extracts of stinging nettle leaf exhibited its ability to slow down the inflammatory cytokine response caused by endotoxins.

========

Green Tea might be very helpful. Some very dark chocolate, too. (72% or higher. 84% is better with less sugar) . . . be sure to see a number as "dark" just means over 60% and that still has too much sugar.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don;t know about inhalers, but my doctor tried me on a nebulizer with Albuterol, and it did nothing but give me the shakes.

But if you think it's worth a try, talk to your doctor. What doesn't work for others may just be the charm for someone else.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Melanie Reber
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 3707

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Melanie Reber   Author's Homepage         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Radha,

I began to develop Asthma many years ago out of the blue. It began as exercised induced, but slowly progressed into severe allergies, chronic bronchitis, and then full-blown constant symptoms on the verge of COPD.

I know now that these symptoms appeared only after exposure to many tick bites over the years. So, what may be only air-hunger from Babesia can progress if not treating the cause concurrently with the symptoms.

I've been on many meds over the last year or so to help with these symptoms... including Albuterol, both inhalers and nebulized, Xopenex, Advair, Omnaris, Singular, Intal (I know I am forgetting a few), and every OTC med imaginable.

Yes, each helped somewhat and when used in combination with preventatives and rescuers... finally, I am back down to only the Albuterol inhaler and an occasional session with the salt pipe. But the key was to continue aggressive Babs treatment, as when those symptoms flair, so do the breathing issues.

While they can quicken the pulse and cause tremors, breathing is sort of more important. I say, give one a try and see if it helps. Since inhalers are an 'as needed' med, you don't have much to lose... and you will know right away if it helps. Perhaps ask your doc for a sample?

Posts: 7052 | From Colorado | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement