LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Hydrocortisone

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Hydrocortisone
rachellemarie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rachellemarie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has any others been prescribed hydrocortisone to help out with adrenal fatigue and/or chronic fatigue? If so, has it helped/hurt? Has anyone done research on hydrocortisone and Lyme?

Thanks!

[ 09-23-2009, 02:33 PM: Message edited by: rachellemarie ]

Posts: 215 | From Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Ultimately, the infection(s) should be the number one focus. Treat infections AND support adrenals along the way.

Others will be along with their experiences - I know I've read that several have found LOW dose Cortef to be a Godsend.

You can search for past threads at this link:

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/search

search for "CORTEF" in the subject line of the medical forum and you will find a couple dozen threads.

========

If you are new to adrenal support, you might start with some of the basic adaptogen herbs such as Rhodiola, Licorice, Aswaghanda, Eleutherococcus Senticosus, Cordyceps and Vitamin B-5 as well as doing the best you can with good sleep hygiene.

Do not take all of those, but start with just one and see. Vitamin B-5 can be added soon after (or before) you try an herbal supplement. A full range of B-vitamins is vital, too. SeriPhos is also an excellent help (not herbal, but a nutritional supplement).

If you have a good LL ND (naturopathic doctor) to guide you, that is best. Some LLMDs are well versed in herbal and nutritional medicine but many will refer to a LL ND. It is important that the ND be LL and also a member of ILADS so that they really do have a full grasp of the complexities of lyme and other tick-borne diseases and how they affect adrenal function.

Some regular non-aerobic movement is essential but be very careful not to overdo it - avoid aerobic exercise until the infections are cleared or your LLMD says it is safe. However, with adrenals often just toast, even the simple movements can be nearly impossible so proceed with kindness to yourself and a measured protocol.

You might also consider support for your heart with Hawthorne extract and Co10.

--------

LOW dose Hydrocortisone (Cortef) is used by some LLMDs.

Hydrocortisone (as well as other some of the other adrenal support mentioned above) is discussed in this book:

This book, by an ILADS member LLMD, holds great information about treatments options and support measures:

http://tinyurl.com/6lq3pb (through Amazon)

THE LYME DISEASE SOLUTION (2008)

- by Kenneth B. Singleton , MD; James A. Duke. Ph.D. (Foreword)

You can read more about it here and see customer reviews.

Web site: www.lymedoctor.com

=================

The Sarah Myhill site, a doctor in the UK who treats CFS (which is often lyme), also discusses the advantage to LOW dose use of Hydrocortisone:

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/article.cfm?id=52

Hydrocortisone - how to use it safely and without causing adrenal suppression

- updated February 2009

============================

Jefferies' book does not focus on lyme patients, nevertheless, may offer insight for us, along with research from those doctors who better understand lyme patients' unique adrenal problems:

http://www.amazon.com/Safe-Uses-Cortisol-William-Jefferies/dp/0398066213

Safe Uses of Cortisol by William McK. MD Jefferies, MD (this is the 1996 edition - you want to find the more recent one to buy).

You can look inside this book (the 2004 hard-cover edition, though) and see readers' reviews at link above.

====================

You can also look inside this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Adrenal-Fatigue-Century-Stress-Syndrome/dp/1890572152/ref=pd_cp_b_1

Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome - by James L. Wilson, N.D. and Johnathan V. Wright, M.D.(Foreword)

===============

Again, not specifically for lyme patients but important information:

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesSearch.aspx?k=Hydrocortisone_

Search results for Hydrocortisone: 7 articles found

One of those:

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art563&zTYPE=2

Adrenal Maladaptation Syndrome: A Sweet Solution For Coping With Stress - By Ward Dean, M.D.

============

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesSearch.aspx?k=adaptogens

Search results for adaptogens: 28 articles found

-

[ 09-23-2009, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take Hydrocordisone for the "Lyme-induced" Addisons Disease.

It is important to get your cortisol levels checked out if you have Lyme/TBD's.....

I learned the hard way, it put me in the hospital for a month....

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kreynolds
Member # 15117

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kreynolds     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Neuro Science Labs is great for testing.....

--------------------
Diagnosed CDC + 6/2007

Quest: + IGG Bands 18,23,39,41,58,66 and 93.

Quest: + IGM Bands

Quest: + Bartonella (B.Henselea & B. Quintana),+ Babesia, and + Mycoplasma and Lyme-Induced Addisons Disease

+ Biofilm blood test 12/2010

Posts: 1185 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been taking it for about 6 yrs. I think it really helped me. However, I have been blaming it for my acid reflux. Not sure if it's the culprit or not.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would avoid it if you can. Make sure you TRULY have adrenal problems by getting a cortisol blood test, and not relying on saliva tests. Low doses of cortef, like 2.5 mg per day should be okay but I would not take them long term. They do cause stomach ulcers and depress the immune system. Your adrenal function should return to normal once you fight off these tick infections. Be VERY careful of anything in higher doses like over 10 mg/day.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD wanted me on 30 mg a day!!
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A physiologic dose is unlikely to derail the immune system. I'd recommend doing the homework of course before trying it. William McK Jeffries' The Safe Uses of Cortisol is a good place to start.

However, I ran Cortef at 20 mgs per day for a good 3 months and hardly noticed anything. So ultimately it may help or it may not. I will say that I didn't notice any negative side effects at all.

Even still one must taper the dose gradually when coming off it or risk a real crash. It takes a while for the adrenals to play catch up when coming off cortisol and this is not to be taken lightly.

I may try cortisol again at some point but I suspect under-the-radar- thyroid issues are a central prob for me.

--------------------
"Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rachellemarie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16419

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rachellemarie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all for the great information. Yes, I plan on getting a second opinion and getting that cordisol blood test done first.

The dose the first doctor wants me to take is 5mg in the AM and 5mg again with lunch.

Question...since our adrenal glands produce cordisol anyways, what makes this (hydrocordisone) so bad? Isn't it just giving us a little more cordisol that our poorly functioning adrenal glands aren't able to do?

Posts: 215 | From Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD had me on a very low dose of hydrocortisone (to replace what my adrenals weren't making), but I found it gave me nasty headaches in the afternoon.

Just my experience.

Posts: 398 | From By the Salish Sea | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ukcarry
Member # 18147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ukcarry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is worth having a saliva test done as well as any blood or urine tests your doctor may offer because it shows up erratic cortisol throughout the day.

Many people have 'normal' or low normal production at some points of the day and yet are well below at others, so the test gives an indication of when any hydrocortisone should be taken.

A blood test drawn at a time of day when your cortisol production is in the normal range would not show this potential problem.

Posts: 1647 | From UK | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KaitlinB
Member # 11718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KaitlinB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been taking 10 mg/day of hydrocortisone for 2 years and it has helped me immensely.

I hold up much better (meaning I don't get absolutely exhausted) under daily stress. If I'm having a particularly stressful day, I increase the dose to 15 mg.

The best way to test for cortisol deficiency is a 24-hour urine test.

--------------------
Kaitlin

Posts: 67 | From CO | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KaitlinB, were you below normal on te 24-hr utine. What was your score vs. normal ranges?
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Dr. put me on 5mg of cortisol but I'm just starting it today.
Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Rachellemarie asked:

since our adrenal glands produce cordisol anyways, what makes this (hydrocordisone) so bad?

---

If we take more than just a tiny bit of Hydrocortisone, our adrenals stop making anything altogether, atrophy, and we would have to be on Rx the rest of our lives. That is why only LOW dose is safe as a temporary measure to let our adrenals get some rest to rejuvenate - but not supply them with so much that they shut down altogether.

The goal is to go off Hydrocortisone/Cortef when infection is cleared (or better under control) and the adrenals have healed enough to work on their own.

Too much Hydrocortisone also can suppress the immune system.

-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, I take 10mg a day.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rachellemarie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16419

Thanks Keebler, that makes sense. I will definitely get the adequate testing (at the right times of the day!) to ensure I really need it. My dr. never did run any of these tests. I am ALWAYS extremely tired in the AM, so I'm assuming that is when my body is its lowest in cortisol.

Lymetoo, I have read 90 Minutes in Heaven! Great book!!!

mrpotto
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrpotto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is aerobic exercise bad for the adrenals? I'm an avid runner and have just tested via saliva for fairly low levels. As a result my LLMD wants me to start taking low dose cortef.

Thanks, Chris

"Some regular non-aerobic movement is essential but be very careful not to overdo it - avoid aerobic exercise until the infections are cleared or your LLMD says it is safe. However, with adrenals often just toast, even the simple movements can be nearly impossible so proceed with kindness to yourself and a measured protocol."

--------------------
dx in Dec 2003
tested 2x positive for bart
Lightly Chelating
3 weeks off abx and 1 week on:

10 day course a month: Plaq/Ceftin/Rifampin/Biaxin with Tindamax on last two days

Posts: 187 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
If the adrenals are overworked, and you work them harder, they can become damaged to a point of no return and one might have to take adrenal hormones for the rest of their life.

Lyme really attacks the adrenals but also then entire endocrine system - involving the HPA-axis. That is the Hypothalamus-Pituitary-Adrenal system of communication and sharing of tasks.

Much has been written on this - and phrased far better than I can even attempt.

Also, with aerobics during infection, the heart is more at risk of damage. Also, what we assume may be adrenal fatigue can be complications with the heart. More about that here:
-------------

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/77325

Topic: To everyone with cardiac symptoms please read!

Posted by btmb03

===================

This book is specific to lyme and other chronic stealth infections.

The author discusses the endocrine connection and effects of STRESS on a person with such infections.

You can read customer reviews and look inside the book at this link to its page at Amazon.

http://tinyurl.com/6xse7l

The Potbelly Syndrome: How Common Germs Cause Obesity, Diabetes, And Heart Disease (Paperback) - 2005

by Russell Farris and Per Marin, MD, PhD

-

mrpotto
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15123

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mrpotto     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Keebler,
When you say infection do you mean tick borne illness or adrenal infection? I thought exercise was essential for killing lyme/co-infections? I would think exercise would assist in dealing with stress which is what I thought the adrenals did. No?

I do not have cardiac symptoms. My symptoms are from the neck up - head aches, facial numbness, tremors, twitching, neck stiff, anxiety, panic, etc.

Ok lets see then - with lyme: its no sugar, no booze, no this, no that and now no running?

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

BTW thanks so much for posting this great info.

Chris

--------------------
dx in Dec 2003
tested 2x positive for bart
Lightly Chelating
3 weeks off abx and 1 week on:

10 day course a month: Plaq/Ceftin/Rifampin/Biaxin with Tindamax on last two days

Posts: 187 | From PA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My Dr. said that the Cortef doesn't cause the body to stop making cordsone - is it because of the low dose (10 mg) or because of the compounded/natural version?

Comments?

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aerobic exercise taxes your t-cells, part of your immune system if you push yourself before you are cured you can make yourself worse. The toll on the adrenals comes from fighting infections 24/7 for months and years. Small doses of cortisol are ok, its the larger ones that are a problem. 20 mg of Cortef =5 mg of prednisone from what I remember...a VERY bad idea! Get the blood tests, not urine and saliva and have the ACTH test too to confirm that you truly have a Lyme induced Addison's disease and truly NEED them.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
mrpotto -

Infection means infection: bacteria, viruses, etc. We talk about lyme but research shows that aerobic exercise can be dangerous with other infections, in general.

Exercise needs a new definition for lyme patients. AEROBIC exercise is forbidden until a patient is nearly better.

Exercise - movement that is NOT aerobic is encouraged, as best the patient can do. Light moving about in a warm pool, a walk, Tai Chi . . . moderate bike rides (if doctor says okay) work for some. Weight training is good. Light "rebounding" on a mini-trampoline to move lymph . . . good.

Now, of course we don't know everything yet and there are some patients who seem to be able to do more and with the knowledge and blessing of their LLMD, do okay doing more. There have been many, though, who try to do more and have major set-backs that cost them months or years to get over.

No two patients are the same and we are all at different points in our progress, too. I'll come back with links to explain.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Treatment Guidelines, 16h edition, October, 2008

Joseph J. Burrascano, Jr., M.D.

Page 20:

. . . If treatment can be continued long term, then a remarkable degree of recovery is possible.

However, attention must be paid to all treatment modalities for such a recovery - not only antibiotics, but rehab and exercise programs, nutritional supplements, enforced rest, low carbohydrate, high fiber diets, attention to food sensitivities, avoidance of stress, abstinence from caffeine and alcohol, and absolutely no immunosuppressants, even local doses of steroids (intra-articular injections, for example).

. . . .

Page 31:

. . .

LYME DISEASE REHABILITATION

Despite antibiotic treatments, patients will NOT return to normal unless they exercise, so therefore an aggressive rehab program is absolutely necessary. It is a fact that a properly executed exercise program can actually go beyond the antibiotics in helping to clear the symptoms and to maintain a remission.

Although the scientific basis for the benefits of exercises is not known, there are several reasonable theories.

It is known that Bb will die if exposed to all but the tiniest oxygen concentrations. If an aggressive exercise program can increase tissue perfusion and oxygen levels, then this may play a role in what is being seen.

Also, during aggressive exercise, the core body temperature can rise above 102 degrees; it is known that B. burgdorferi is very heat sensitive. Perhaps it is the added tissue oxygenation, or higher body temperature, or the combination that weakens the Lyme Borrelia, and allows the antibiotics and our defenses to be more effective.

Regular exercise-related movements can help mobilize lymph and enhance circulation. In addition,there is now evidence that a carefully structured exercise program may benefit T-cell function: this function will depress for 12 to 24+ hours after exercise, but then rebound.

This T-cell depression is more pronounced after aerobics which is why aerobics are not allowed. The goal is to exercise intermittently, with exercise days separated by days of total rest, including an effort to have plenty of quality sleep.

The trick is to time the exercise days to take advantage of these rebounds. For an example, begin with an exercise day followed by 3 to 5 rest days; as stamina improves, then fewer rest days will be needed in between workouts.

However, because T-cell functions do fall for at least one day after aggressive exercises, be sure to never exercise two days in a row. Finally, an in intermittent exercise program, properly executed, may help to reset the HPA axis more towards normal.

On the following page is an exercise prescription that details these recommendations.

This program may begin with classical physical therapy if necessary. The physical therapy should involve massage, heat, ultrasound and simple range of motion exercises to relieve discomfort and promote better sleep and flexibility.

Ice (vasoconstriction) and electrical stimulation (muscle spasm and trauma) should not be used!

The program must evolve into a graded, ultimately strenuous exercise program that consists of a specific regimen of non-aerobic conditioning- see below.

Have the patient complete a gentle hour of prescribed exercise, then go home, have a hot bath or shower, than try to take a nap. Initially, patients will need this sleep, but as they recover, the exercise will energize them and then a nap will no longer be needed.

NOTE: a cardiac stress test may be necessary prior to exercising to ensure safety.

-------------

Page 32:

LYME REHAB-PHYSICAL THERAPY PRESCRIPTION

. . . (there is a P.T. prescription all set to fill out here) . . .

Excerpt:

PROGRAM:

1. Aerobic exercises are NOT allowed, not even low impact variety, until the patient has recovered.

2. Conditioning: work to improve strength and reverse the poor conditioning that results from Lyme, through a whole-body exercise program, consisting of light calisthenics and/or resistance training, using light resistance and many repetitions.

This can be accomplished in exercise classes called "stretch and tone", or "body sculpture", or can be achieved in the gym with exercise machines or carefully with free weights (see cautions above).

3. Each session should last one hour. A gentle hour is preferable to a strenuous half-hour. If the patient is unable to continue for the whole hour, then decrease the intensity to allow him/her to do so.

4. Exercise no more often than every other day. The patient may need to start by exercising every 4th or 5th day initially, and as abilities improve, work out more often, but NEVER two days in a row. The nonexercise days should be spent resting.

5. This whole-body conditioning program is what is required to achieve wellness. A simple walking program will not work, and simply placing the patient on a treadmill or an exercise bike is not acceptable (except very briefly, as part of a warm-up), as aerobics can be damaging and must be avoided.

. . . .

Much more at the link.

-==========

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008)

-=============

www.ott.zynet.co.uk/polio/lincolnshire/library/uk/post-me.html

or http://tinyurl.com/33rxy8

From Dr. Bruno's "Fainting and Fatigue" in the Spring 1996 CFIDS Chronicle

Post-polio expert Dr. Richard Bruno points out that physical over-activity is the biggest cause of post-polio symptoms. [3]

Excerpt:

. . . ``when mice infected with Coxsackie B3 were forced to swim in a warm pool, the virulence of the virus was drastically augmented.

In fact, viral replication was augmented 530 times. This did horrendous things to the animals' hearts. We all know that to play squash with the flu can lead to heart attacks.

Much the same danger can be courted by undertaking hard exercise with M.E. (CFS).'' End quote.

Lyme disease, also, has cautions about aerobic exercise until nearly well.

====================

PDF: www.cfids.org/sparkcfs/working-out.pdf

HTML version - without photos for easier printing: http://tinyurl.com/4qevgl

WHEN WORKING OUT DOESN'T WORK OUT

By Dr. Christopher R. Snell, Dr. J. MarkVanNess and Staci R. Stevens, et.al.

From THE CFIDS CHRONICLE SUMMER 2004

==================

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/86028?

Topic: QiGong & Tai Chi & Yoga

-

rachellemarie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16419

So here is another question that came to mind after reading Burrascano's info below that Keebler originally posted above... Burrascano states that local doses of steroids should be avoided. Hydrocortisone is a steroid so shouldn't that be avoided with Lyme Disease. My understanding was that steroids made Lyme worse. But perhaps it depends on the amound of steroids you take...a large dose vs. 5-10 mg a day?? Comments?

Treatment Guidelines, 16h edition, October, 2008

Joseph J. Burrascano, Jr., M.D.

Page 20:

. . . If treatment can be continued long term, then a remarkable degree of recovery is possible.

However, attention must be paid to all treatment modalities for such a recovery - not only antibiotics, but rehab and exercise programs, nutritional supplements, enforced rest, low carbohydrate, high fiber diets, attention to food sensitivities, avoidance of stress, abstinence from caffeine and alcohol, and absolutely no immunosuppressants, even local doses of steroids (intra-articular injections, for example).

Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymeorsomething     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Physiologic and subphysiologic are key terms Rachelle. Anything past 20 mgs and you're pushing your luck. You have to worry about compromising your immune system and perhaps more significantly shutting down your own natural production at some point which is a bad scenario. That would only likely happen with prolonged use though...several months at higher than normal doses.

Condor made a key distinction as well. Stay away from Prednisone, which is a much more powerful synthetic. Make sure they give you Cortef or its identical generic. Cortef is basically bioidentical.

I still think that Cortef is worth a shot if you have unwavering fatigue. It's definitely possible that adrenals could be a problem. It didn't work for me (ran 20 mgs for 3 mos.)...no change...

Also be sure to check all other hormones, especially IGF-1, sex hormones, and thyroid...

Some MDs will tell you cortisol will suppress the immune system while others say it will not. Reasonable doses, no more than what the body would naturally manufacture, will not adversely affect the immune system (at least according to my MD) [Smile]

--------------------

Posts: 2062 | From CT | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
" . . . curcumin reversed the stress-induced increase in the levels of serum corticosterone . . ."

http://tinyurl.com/y8bd9k2

Curcumin Prevents Some Stress-Related Changes

A recently published study investigated the effects of curcumin, a constituent of the botanical turmeric, on changes in cognition and memory caused by stress. . . .

In this new study, researchers investigated the effect of curcumin supplementation on stress-induced learning defects in mice. . . .

The results of the study showed that curcumin reversed memory deficits in a dose dependent manner, meaning increasing dosages of curcumin provided increasingly improved memory in the mice.

In addition, curcumin reversed the stress-induced increase in the levels of serum corticosterone, the primary hormone secreted during the stress response. The researchers also found that the effectiveness of curcumin was similar to the effects of a tri-cyclic antidepressant.

. . . inhibited changes due to corticosterone-induced toxicity including preserving nerve cell connections, and inhibiting the corticosterone-induced activation of the enzyme calcium/calmodulin kinase II and stimulated glutamate receptor expression, which play a role in neurotransmitter secretion and certain kinds of memory and learning.

The researchers concluded, ``Thus, curcumin may be an effective therapeutic for learning and memory disturbances as was seen within these stress models, and its neuroprotective effect was mediated in part by normalizing the corticosterone response, resulting in down-regulating of the phosphorylated calcium/calmodulin kinase II and glutamate receptor levels.''

--------
Reference:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19540859

Xu Y, Lin D, Li S, Li G, Shyamala SG, Barish PA, Vernon MM, Pan J, Ogle WO.

Curcumin reverses impaired cognition and neuronal plasticity induced by chronic stress.

Neuropharmacology. 2009 Sep;57(4):463-71.

======================

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez

PubMed Search:

Curcumin - 3011 abstracts

======================

From Vitamin Research Products:

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesSearch.aspx?k=Curcumin

Search results for Curcumin - 46 Articles Found
-

seekhelp
Member # 15067

That's scary if true. My world class LLMD said 30 mg is no problem and nothing more than a physiological dose with no steroid effects or possibility of shutting down your body's own production. Could my LLMD be that off in his assessment?

I specifically called and grilled the nurses. They said without hesitation it's safe.

quote:
Originally posted by WildCondor:
Aerobic exercise taxes your t-cells, part of your immune system if you push yourself before you are cured you can make yourself worse. The toll on the adrenals comes from fighting infections 24/7 for months and years. Small doses of cortisol are ok, its the larger ones that are a problem. 20 mg of Cortef =5 mg of prednisone from what I remember...a VERY bad idea! Get the blood tests, not urine and saliva and have the ACTH test too to confirm that you truly have a Lyme induced Addison's disease and truly NEED them.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Seek,

30 mg or 30 mcg? Does the Rx as written match your bottle?

Either way, it could be what your body requires based on your doctor's assessment - for you - for now. You can read up on it and then ask him more specific questions, too. Ask him for more information or literature so that you better understand your treatment. Dialogue is good. Reading is good, of course, but it is also very important to discuss this with him first before jumping to conclusions.

The books linked above are very helpful and there may be some explanations there that help.
-

[ 09-29-2009, 02:17 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Tracy9
Member # 7521

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tracy9         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take 10 mg per day, haven't really noticed much difference.

I need to be tested for Addison's, since I've been rocking a tan yet haven't seen the light of day all summer!

--------------------
NO PM; CONTACT: [email protected]

13 years Lyme & Co.; Small Fiber Neuropathy; Myasthenia Gravis, Adrenal Insufficiency. On chemo for 2 1/2 years as experimental treatment for MG.

Posts: 4480 | From Northeastern Connecticut | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymeorsomething
Member # 16359

30 mgs isnt realllllly that much...outer edge of safe maybe. I personally wouldn't run anything over 25ish...

Keep in mind people with arthritis pop prednisone like tic-tacs and do OK...so 20-25 mgs of cortef isn't too bad by comparison...

The whole immune system thing is conjecture at best at those levels. A pioneer of cortisol replacement, William Mck. Jeffries, said 20 mgs or so may even help in cases of infection (cold, flu, etc)...(i'll have to recheck those chapters later though)...

--------------------

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
And a dose for man may be higher than for a woman. Seek, in your case as a guy, that would be considered.
-

IsIt
Member # 19747

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IsIt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Seeing surgeon next month. Probably will have to have
some type of cortizone injection in order to reduce pain/inflammation in tendons/tissue.

Has anyone ever had to do this? Did it make you worse or no effect at all?

More important! did it help with loosening up the tendons?

I read yet don't talk much.

Thanks!

Posts: 8 | From US | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
IsIt:

Steroid shots can be devastating and the ill events can last a very long for patients with lyme disease.

When the lyme infection is controlled (and the liver is supported), pain will be less.

Steroid shots are a completely different subject than VERY LOW dose cortef for adrenal support (as lyme patients often have severe adrenal dysfunction and exhaustion).

I had several horrible - half year - reactions from steroid shots in various joints. Then I found out lyme was causing the pain all along. My nervous system also was on the very worst hair-trigger irritation for months. It is not worth it, at all.

There are other therapies to consider.

You can search the many previous threads here about this discussion but I doubt many will post here as the headline is not specific for the shots.

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/ubb/search/search_forum/1
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
http://www.lymenet.de/literatur/steroids.htm

Antibiotics and Steroids

From: Lyme Disease 1991: Patient/Physician Perspectives from the U.S. and Canada - Lora Mermin, editor

by John Drulle, M.

Excerpt:

. . . "Steroid Disaster" is a term coined by the pioneer of Lyme Treatment, Dr. Burrascano (see link at bottom of page).

Corticosteroids are immune suppressants, the last thing a Lyme patient needs is to lower immunity. . . .

- Full article at link above and support for his work below:

=====================

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_guidelines_12_17_08.pdf

Dr. Burrascano'sTreatment Guidelines (2008)

Excerpts from document search for "steroids"

P. 4:

. . . More severe illness also results from other causes of weakened defenses, such as from severe stress, immunosuppressant medications, and severe intercurrent illnesses.

This is why steroids and other immunosuppressive medications are absolutely contraindicated in Lyme. This also includes intraarticular steroids. . . .

From page 12:

Excerpt:

. . . More evidence has accumulated indicating the severe detrimental effects of the concurrent use of immunosuppressants including steroids in the patient with active B. burgdorferi infection.

Never give steroids or any other immunosuppressant to any patient who may even remotely be suffering from Lyme, or serious, permanent damage may result, especially if given for anything greater than a short course.

If immunosuppressive therapy is absolutely necessary, then potent antibiotic treatment should begin at least 48 hours prior to the immunosuppressants.

. . . .

Page 20:

. . . and absolutely no immunosuppressants, even local doses of steroids (intra-articular injections, for example).

=================
=================

Regarding what can help manage/decrease pain, magnesium and fish oil top the list. Vitamin D3, also. And massage, etc.

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

From: NUTRITIONAL SUPPLEMENTS IN DISSEMINATED LYME DISEASE

J.J. Burranscano, Jr., M.D. July 2008

Excerpt from page 4:

VITAMIN D

Surprisingly, most people in America are vitamin D deficient. In the lyme patient, low vitamin D levels can cause diffuse body aches and cramps that are not responsive to magnesium or calcium supplements.

Some also believe that vitamin D is essential for normal immune and hormone function. I strongly urge you to have a fasting blood level drawn. It is recommended that blood levels be in the upper half or the normal range.

If it is not, then 2000 to 4000 units daily are needed for several weeks to make up for the deficit, and then a lower maintenance dose may be necessary, based on results from repeated blood level monitoring. If vitamin D is needed, improvements take 2 to 3 weeks to note, but are well worth the wait. . . .

. . . .
-

zil
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12048

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zil     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hydrocortisone is the same as the cortisol our bodies make. It's a steroid hormone. If you take too much or any steroid ie: prednisone, dexamethasone etc. it can suppress the pituitary gland.
When the pituitary senses our cortisol is low it sends a messanger(ACTH) to the adrenal gland to secrete cortisol.
It's screwing up the pituitary gland that's the problem. There have been some people on medrol dose packs or even steroid inhalers that suppress their pituitary gland and it doesn't wake back up.
There stuck on cortisol/steroid the rest of their lives. That's why we taper off steroids it's to let the pituitary regain function.
I had an insulin tolerance test to make sure I needed it. I was diagnosed with primary adrenal insufficiency (Addison's Disease)
My morning cortisol was 0.1 and stimulated to 0.5mg. Should have gone up to at least 18. Be careful with this medication.

Posts: 383 | From Ar | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Bring this thread up for hopeandfaith.

--
The low dose as used by some LLMDs seems to work well for many patients. With the very low dose, when a person's infection load is down and the adrenals have been rested some it is possible to go off of this and have the adrenals start to work better, according to some of the authors linked earlier in this thread.

Higher doses, though, and zil is correct. Life-time use may be required as the adrenals may not be able to start working again on their own.

One might first try other adrenal support supplements to see if that might be enough. For some, it is. For others, low dose cortef seems to have made the big difference.
-

CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very informative site. Thanks everyone for your input.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rachellemarie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16419

So I've been on hydrocortisone now for a few weeks and don't really feel any difference, except for I'm putting weight on! Maybe it's a coincidence, but I've weighted a constant 110 forever and now all of a sudden jumped up to almost 115 without doing anything different.

Are others noticing weight gain on hydrocortisone?

ticked-offinNc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ticked-offinNc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So low cortisol and low acth(blood Test)=Addisons disease from Lyme?
Not adrenal fatigue?

Thank you

Posts: 261 | From Piedmont | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rachellemarie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16419

Ticked, I have adrenal fatigue due to the Lyme.
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Yes, indeed. Lyme causes adrenal damage of all kinds, even Addison's.

The adrenal problem that faces lyme patients is one of the hardest pieces of the puzzle and another part that most regular doctors just can't quite understand.

And, if doctors understood the connection between adrenal dysfunction and depression & anxiety, we'd all be better off (but the pharmaceutical companies would no longer have as many people on mood drugs if their adrenal systems worked better).
-

rachellemarie
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16419

Opps sorry, thought Ticked was responding to my question! [Smile]
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
rachellemarie,

I was only confirming your reply that lyme can cause Addison's.
-

ticked-offinNc
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15420

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ticked-offinNc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you, xoxo I will research Addisons, but I always forget what I read before I am done. If I only had a brain?

It always comes down to money Doesnt it Keebler? Pitiful.

Posts: 261 | From Piedmont | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KaitlinB
Member # 11718

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KaitlinB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
rachellemarie,

I also began gaining weight immediately after started taking hydrocortisone, even with taking a dose as low as 5 mg.

I stopped the hydrocortisone and started losing weight right away, but began taking it again because it helped my fatigue so much.

When I resumed taking it I began gaining weight again. It's an unfortunate side effect.

--------------------
Kaitlin

Posts: 67 | From CO | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My new LLMD has me taking Isocort. I can only tolerate a few pellets a day because it really peps me up.

I work full time, and it has been great. However, my appetite has increased, and I am gaining weight, too. However, I love the new energy.

I was reading in Dr. T's book that each Isocort pill is equal to 2.5 mg of Cortef. I'm finding in the month or so I've been on Isocort, I have had to cut back from 6 pills a day to 2-4 because I get so wired.

My morning cortisol was 11 upon testing. I probably don't need that much.

Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CherylSue
Member # 13077

I can relate to gaining weight. I'm on low dose Isocort and the weight keeps piling on with very little effort. It also has stimulated by appetite. How does one deal with the weight gain?

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement