LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Antidepressants?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Antidepressants?
daybyday
Member # 22503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daybyday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First off....I'm not a newbie. I have been a member on Lymenet before. I had a hard time finding any of my old posts, so I had to rejoin the forum. Same name daybyday. I've seen llmd Dr. C and was orally treated in 2001-2003. I pleateaued and dealt with symptoms since then. I believe the flare up of my symptoms now are due to stress. My hubby had a TBI after ATV accident Halloween last year. It has been a very emotional journey for me during his recovery (which is slow but steady). I try to stay strong but I'm breaking down and my Lyme symptoms are flaring up, expecially the neuro symptoms. My M.D. wants to start me on antidepressants. I agree I may need something to help me pull through the tough times. Is it a bad idea?
Posts: 9 | From Morris, Il. | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coltman
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21272

Icon 1 posted      Profile for coltman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Antidepressants have a lot of unresesearched effects, some of them could be positive ,some of them not so much. Imho it is basically a gamble - nobody can explain how they really work for mood and their effects on other systems could be signifcant. You can try to see if they make you better
Posts: 856 | From MA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gwb
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 7273

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gwb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine who has Lyme was prescribed Wellbutrin by his LLMD. He took it for one year and did very well with it. He's off of it and he had no problems getting off of it like some people do on other antidepressants.

His LLMD told him that his philosophy is that it helps people to heal their lyme better when they are feeling better mentally and emotionally. For my friend it really did seem to help him.

I'm not saying whether or not it's a good thing for you or not--I don't know. But if your LLMD suggests it then I think it should be OK. I would check with your LLMD first before doing it. Just my opinion.

Gary

Posts: 1349 | From OK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Are you taking adrenal support (Cordyceps, B-5, etc)? Magnesium? Fish oil? SAMe? Vitamin D3?

I'd try all those first. Here are some articles about natural suggestions to support and feed/nourish your central nervous system - as well as some that highlight research on antidepressants:

http://www.vrp.com/ArticlesSearch.aspx?k=depression

-=======

Dark Chocolate keeps me alive. One once of 73% - 84% a day is all I need to keep my mood stable.
-

[ 09-23-2009, 04:04 PM: Message edited by: Keebler ]

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have horrible reactions to antidepressants. Have tried many different ones. They make me more depressed for some reason.

I do best taking Xanax, which relaxes me and helps fend off depression. Note that I do not promote either of these types of medications; but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

We are all different, and many ppl do well with antidepressants. I would say that if you feel very depressed you might at least try one and see; but if you can get away without one, that would be my suggestion.

If any way around it, I would prefer not messing around with the brain chemicals.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cherilou57
Member # 20855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cherilou57     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I take lexapro and have no problems with it, in fact I don't know what I would do without it. It has been a lifesaver.
Posts: 23 | From Illinois | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could do a trial of the antidepressants.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since Dr. K recently found that 80% of his Lyme patients have KPU, and KPU CAUSES psychiatric problems, I would definitely look into taking those supplements (and possibly some B Complex) before going onto antidepressants!

Do a search for KPU here, and you'll get plenty of data, including the exact supplements in a slide presentation from Dr. K that Scott has posted here at Lymenet.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
day by day,

if you edit your long post into short paragraphs, we neuro lyme folks will be able to comprehend and read; then we'll try to help you. [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MY3BOYS
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17830

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MY3BOYS     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ok, the flag this triggers for me is what you are going through sounds like may be situational?? situational vs. chronic depression

for antideppressants to be used, generally they are best for chronic depression..

now, some antidepressant have other uses such as for neuropathy, smoking cessation, etc.

so, what you are going through is a "this is hard now but, ok- i am coping through it and just stressed" or is more like:

affecting you in a daily, dont want to get up, dont engage with family or friends, flat affect, etc....then rx antideppresants may be what you need.

they can be hard to come off of.

what about trying at least few alternatives first?? like, prayer time, meditation, yoga is very good for stress (be amazed at how much that really can help), acupuncture is also great alternative....

having pharmocology knowlege- i would recommend alternative things regularly for at least 3 wk of using those steadily then re-eval your situtation...keep little journal, jot down emotions/symptoms and be able to compare.

best of luck !!

--------------------
i am not a Dr. any info is only for education, suggestion or to think/research. please do not mis-intuprest as diagnostic or prescriptive, only trying to help. **

dx in 08:lyme, rmsf, bart, babs, and m.pneumonia.

Posts: 422 | From TX | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cindy Ss
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ARe you going to go back to Dr. C? Do you think you may need to be in treatment again?

I am beginning to agree with Gary and my local PC also told me that I may need to just take something to take the worries away so my body can heal.

I tried all the natural stuff and couldn't get the dosage right due to not knowing what is off in my chemistry from this disease.

I too am on Xanax but take 3 times aday .50mg but sometimes it doesn't work. My local PC added Buspar to my day, it seems to be working well for anxiety but have developed some kidney area pain and liver pain. LLMD thought it was from my Zithromax dosage adjustment. (I was trying to take higher dose).

I think my mind would be healtheir if I took something to take my mind off the worries of this disease due to the mind being a big part of things.

Mental healing is important from what I have read in Lyme books. If you can't heal on your own maybe prescription help (short term) would help. I am considering it soon also.

HOpe you get better...

CIndy

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daybyday
Member # 22503

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daybyday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
situational vs. chronic?

This is hard to determine. Every year I go through a winter depression and I cope, when warm days come I snap right out of it.

I've never been this bad. I'm snappy, crying, my body hurts, my palsy's back.

I've spent the past 20 years with my hubby, I feel like I mourn every day. He is alive thank GOD but he's not the same man he was before...

I've spent the past 11 months without a day's rest caring for him and helping him try to regain his abilities.

I've also had to help my son cope through losing the father he had and learning to accept the way he is now.

There has been no time for me to think about myself. Now I feel that if I don't get some help I won't be able to care for my family.

So determining if it's situational or chronic is a hard judgement to make.

As for another trip to see DR. C. I wish I lived closer and I would be at his office right now. Im in northern Il. and he's in southern Mo.

depression causing Lyme flare up, or Lyme causing depression? Very confusing.

I'm starting a 7 day detox today, hoping it'll help me feel better.

Thanks for advise everyone. Sally

Posts: 9 | From Morris, Il. | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement