LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Skin yeast inf. not going away, Suggestions?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Skin yeast inf. not going away, Suggestions?
sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been struggling with a topical yeast infection for about 2 mo now.

It started under my PICC dressing on my Left arm. Tried treating with Nystatin Powder, increased the frequency of my dressing changes, then added Diflucan.

At this point i've done 8days of Diflucan, then 14days of Diflucan, and now in September i've done 2 days per week.

My skin seemed to be healing then I had problems with my PICC leaking and it flared up again.

I had my PICC removed 11days ago and have had the site open to air for 10days now. I've been using Nystatin Powder (generous amounts TID or BID) and it seems to be looking better again but it is far from good.

Now my Right arm is itching, I have a red raised rash near my new PICC dressing and some red areas developing under my the PICC dressing. (I just got this PICC placed on tues.)

What should I do? I've been applying Nystatin powder to both arms and i'll take Diflucan as usual this weekend.

Is it normal to take so long to heal? Should I ask my doctor for a different antifungal?

I would like to hear any experiences or suggestions. Thanks so much!

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Geneal
Member # 10375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Geneal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible that it could be something else?

Maybe an allergic reaction to the PICC dressing...

Just a thought.

Hugs,

Geneal

Posts: 6250 | From Louisiana | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
keltyl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for keltyl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's yeast, sounds like you need a different treatment. When my daughter was an infant, she had a bad yeast infection all over her privates. Treated for a long time with a pediatrician but spending alot of money and it wasn't getting better.

Took her to a different one and his exact words were "right diagnosis, wrong medication". But you know that was 29 yrs ago, and can't think of the medication right now. It may come to me, but anyway, it cleared up right away.

It has to be either a wrong diagnosis or the wrong med. Hope someone can be of help to you, it's bad enough dealing with piccs anyway.

Posts: 847 | From upstateNY | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I had my f/u earlier this month the rash was improving but I had not yet finished the 2wk Diflucan course. My LLMD did not seem concerned. There were many other issues discussed at that appt.

I do use a Biopatch at the insertion site of my new PICC so hopefully that will prevent any line infections. No matter how bad the rash got on my other arm the area under the Biopatch remained clear.

I've also been alternating Caprylic Acid and a combo herbal anti-fungal called "Yeast Cleanse" by Solaray. I take one for a couple weeks then switch to the other.

The thing with fungal cultures is that it can take several weeks before you have any definitive results. I would hope that this would be better by then.

It doesn't help that it's been raining for the past 7 days. I can't escape the humidity.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would definitely contact your LLMD and let him/her know it's not improving. You need to get a handle on it.

Watch your diet too.. may help.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Allimax, 100% Allicin Powder Capsules
http://www.iherb.com/Allimax-100-Allicin-Powder-Capsules-180-mg-30-Veggie-Caps/3418?at=0

Allimax, Cream with Allisure AC-23
http://www.iherb.com/Allimax-Cream-with-Allisure-AC-23-1-67-fl-oz-50-ml/13369?at=0

Allicin Inhibits Enzyme Activity in Yeast

The Objective: of this study was to examine the effect of allicin (a component of garlic) on yeast enzymatic activity.

Conclusion: Allicin was found to decrease the formation of NADH from alcohol dehydrogenase, hexokinase, and glyceraldehyde 3-phosphate dehydrogenase.
Since all three of these enzymes can be linked to glycolysis in yeast, allicin may inhibit carbohydrate metabolism and ultimately, the formation of ATP.

Source: http://iadr.confex.com/iadr/2004Hawaii/techprogram/abstract_46954.htm

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
sammy there is a great topical oil that can work really well with yeast. Pretty much gone in a few days. I personally know an MD southwest of Columbus you can get this from.

PM me if interested.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doomer
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11013

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Doomer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sammy,

What are you using to clean the picc site and as a dressing over the picc site area?

I think you got some good answers when you posted a tread a couple weeks past regarding what was causing the problem. It is either the cloraprep and/or skin barrier and/or tagaderm. Until you stop using those items you will prolly continue to have the red/yellow crusty itchy bumps.

Many here have experience the same problem you decribe and when we elimated the problem it went away. I would hate for you to have the same problems on your new picc line.

If you do a search here you will find the same answers. It doesn't sound like your yeast protocol is really working for this problem. I have never heard it referred to as a yeast problem. It is an allergic reaction to cloraprep, skin barrier, and tagaderm. My reaction didn't start until week 3 and only got worse until I eliminated the problems.

What worked for me and others is to use betadine and alcohol to clean the site instead of cloraprep and use a breathable dressing like covaderm, primapore, or iv3000.

I hope it clears up for you soon.

Posts: 188 | From ID | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sammy
Member # 13952

Thank you all for your suggestions.

My Left arm (old PICC site) is looking much better. I think that it is healing well now. I'll continue using the Nystatin powder BID until things have been clear for a couple days.

My Right arm rash has also gotten better with the Nystatin powder. To clarify, this rash extended about 2in below the bend of my elbow and about 2 above the bend and up to the edge of my new PICC dressing.

The area under the PICC dressing (one corner, about the size of a quarter) has not gotten worse. It flares if I am in a warm or moist environment (shower or outside). But when I return to a cool environment is calms down and is less red and itchy. I've pealed back the dressing in this area to start treating it.

This morning I also contacted my infusion company and ordered some IV3000 Opsite dressings and some SorbaView dressings to try.

I used Primapore dressings for about 2wks prior to the removal of my old PICC. I also stopped using the skin prep and switched to alcohol cleanser instead of chlorprep. These things didn't seem to help much at the time but I made the changes just in case.

The rash was almost gone when my old PICC sprung a leak. That was a huge setback. I think the moisture must have made it flare full force again.

Hopefully these new dressings will be more breathable and hypoallergenic. The SorbaView has some extra moisture wicking features so I will try that dressing first.

Thanks again for all your help:)

WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hydrogen peroxide!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement