LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Heaviness in chest, constant clearing throat...Help!! ER update:

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Heaviness in chest, constant clearing throat...Help!! ER update:
btmb03
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My fatigue has shot thru the roof the past several days and somehow coincided with a ton of heaviness in the chest, shortness of breath, constant clearing of the throat.

Virus? Allergies? (no sneezing or coughing).Post nasal drip? Co-infection not being treated? (presently only treating Lyme)?

Anybody else have this? Feedback appreciated, back to bed. [Frown]

[ 10-02-2009, 08:50 PM: Message edited by: btmb03 ]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been having a return of a lot of sympptoms lately, some of them being ear stuffiness/dizziness, fatigue air hunger/shortness of breath, taht kind of thing.

We've all been passing around some form of sniffles and cough lately.

I'm in between bouts right now, but I can't shake the other symptoms.

Maybe the immune system is going haywire with all the viruses and stuff going around?

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had bronchial asthma for over 40 yrs until I tx for lung worms/round worms/ascaris. Completely gone. You might want to check the possibilty that you need to be tx for parasites.

www.curezone.com

is a good source of info,

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Thx Starfall and Gael, I don't discount either viruses or parasites. Just wouldn't know where to start with the parasite thing.

I'm still too sick to try anything too powerful, Gael, I will check out the website, but realistically given my present condition, what is a gentle way to start to get rid of parasites (sorry, not into the enema thing!)?

btmb03
Unregistered

OMG curezone.com is so overwhelming, I can't even look at the page!! Anything else easier?? [Smile]
imagine2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also have to clear my throat constantly. Also, get hoarse and voice cracks. Someone told me it could be caused by reflux stemming from dyspepsia caused by abx....or post nasal drip.

A little lemon water could help post nasal drip but wouldn't be a good idea to try that if you're having reflux. Might make it worse.

You sound like you're in a big herx. [Frown] Hope you feel better soon.

Posts: 677 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by btmb03:
My fatigue has shot thru the roof the past several days...
heaviness in the chest,
shortness of breath,
constant clearing of the throat.

You need to be evaluated by your physician.

Do you breathe easier when you're upright, or propped up in bed with pillows?

This might be blood backed up in the lungs due to heart failure.

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

OMG - heart failure? THis exact same thing happened a couple of weeks ago then subsided a bit - yikes you've got me thinking now....hmmm another 5 hr wait at the ER???

Standing is next to impossible right now, my SOB gets much worse. Sitting up in bed with pillows is tolerable..sort of...!!!

Carol in PA
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With heart failure, the heart muscle gets weaker, and cannot pump as strongly.

Do you have any CoEnzyme Q10 on hand?
This helps the mitochondria in the cardiac cells to work better, and thus helps Congestive Heart Failure, or CHF.

You need your doctor to listen to your heart and lungs.
Are your ankles swollen?

Carol

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

No CoQ10 on hand - just spoke with my PCP - they said since I'd had this before I should just "breathe deeply and slowly"...!!!!

It *is* true, I had such an episode (they last for days) a few weeks ago and it did subside gradually. Just don't know what to do, I can go to the ER but...well you know, the usual - tests come back OK, they send you home. And all that wasted energy..sigh.

feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diastolic dysfunction IS congestive heart failure. It is only different in that it affects the diastolic function. Systolic dysfunction is normally noted in CHF.

I believe that you are Grade I diastolic? If you are really having SOB upon standing....better to err on the side of caution?

I thought that you were having more of a 'air hunger' and not true SOB. I went to ER when I had SOB....just my 2.

feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

This almost feels like when I first fell ill feelfit, I just was horrendously out of breath standing - and now the fatigue has gone thru the roof.

It's like your ribs can't expand far enough for you to get a breath. Of course I have increased flu-like sx (co-infection?) and my brain can't retain a darn thing - herx??? Only I'll have to decide I guess. Thx for your input!

P.S. Feelfit - what did they do for you at the ER when you went in with SOB?

feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha! I knew that you were going to ask that btm.

Well, my EKG was a little weird so they admitted me. Then they tested for a pulmonary embolism with a CAT angiogram (negative).

The next day I had a thallium stress test and was told that I failed! It appeared as a blockage in the area of the septum.

The next day I was catheterized and my heart was fine........

Ta-Dum! so, after all of that, EVERYTHING was normal....exactly what we all fear, another waste of time.

But! I did have comfort of mind. You are correct, only you can make the decision.

Oh yes, I went to ER because my doctor made me, she sent me right from her office...so I may not have went on my own.

[Smile] [Wink] ,

feel better!

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Yuck - everything you were put thru but there's nothing like peace of mind, right? Best wishes back to you!
glm1111
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Easier Way to access curezone and search the site is to just google curezone + parasites or curezone + lyme or anything else you want to check.

Just type in curezone plus the word and it should just take you right to the forum. Also type parasites and lyme into search bar here at top of page.

btm,

The salt/c protocol might be easier for you if you start slow and ramp up slowly 1/4 ts at a time.

The vitamin C by itself has always helped me with my asthma in the past. High doses of C...like 10,000 mg a day)

The sea salt is full of minerals and both Vit C and sea salt support the adrenals.

Lymestrategies has good info on salt/c since these are the people with lyme doing the protocol. You don't have to do an enema with the salt/c

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenin98
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Get tested for H. Pylori. I had those symptoms, went to 5 docs, and finally got tested for this, came back positive.
Posts: 455 | From Maryland | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

OK so went to the ER - doc felt it was not heart related - vitals, chest x-ray normal. They felt it was "inflammation" leading to constriction of the bronch__ whatever, I was too exhausted to hear!!

So left with a script for an inhaler...don't know if this is the right way to go or not. Kinda confused.

IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm... isn't the inhaler a steroid? Make sure your LLMD is okay with that for sure!

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, check with your LLMD.. but I can tell you that there are quite a few of us here who take inhaled steroids.

It's good for breathing!!!

Hope you feel better very soon, btm!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Thx guys - appreciate your support. Just hoping it's not related to H1N1 [Smile] Maybe another one of those debilitating, baffling sx? Will definitely check with my LLMD. Thx!
feelfit
Member # 12770

What is the rx'ed inhaler? Albuterol is not a steroid....at least that is what I was told. But they probably gave you a steroid inhaler if they thought the cause was inflamation.

I know that it is scary, but maybe try it and see if your breathing improves. I sure would hate to see you continue to suffer so much without trying something to help.

Pls. post to let us know how you are doing.

FF

btmb03
Unregistered

Why it just so happens it *is* albuterol feelfit - I'm terrified I have to take an inhaler..but my main concern is WHY. I've never had breathing problems at all in my entire life and now this??? Just not getting enough air into those lungs. Yikes!
feelfit
Member # 12770

Yeah, the question is always 'why'? I did the pulmonary function test too and I came up as asthmatic...I have never had problems in the past.

Re: the abuterol, when they gave me that during the test, my lung function improved, I however did not feel any better. I have used the inhaler several times but do not notice any difference in my breathing....ie I do not feel better able to breathe/

how are you feeling today?

sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use albuterol almost everyday, not a steroid. It was given to me by my LLMD.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Does it seem to help any of your symptoms SG?
btmb03
Unregistered

"Like crap" feelfit - but thx for asking. [Smile] I know this whole illness and everything vaguely connected with it IS so frustrating. Sorry your breathing probs did not improve with ongoing albuterol use...

I wonder how many people here on LN use inhalers regularly.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an albuterol inhaler too, but I RARELY use it since it makes my heart race and keeps me awake if I use it in the evening.

It is considered a rescue inhaler.

I use the steroid one daily.. Symbicort.

You're not feeling any better, btm?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would try the salt and electrolytes. If that does not make you feel better you know it is something else. It worked for me.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Thanks Lymetoo - I'm still here!! [Smile]

Pinelady, could you elaborate on what you mean by "if that does not make you feel better you know it is something else"? Sorry, not feeling well.

I already add sea salt to my diet and lemon water...it hasn't helped...???

Am also finding my SOB worse after eating..??? Very distressing to say the least.

Pinelady
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry btmb. When I first started trmt. I had horrible episodes of dizzyness, nausea vomiting, heart symptoms. I could eat a pinch of salt and replace electrolyes and get immediate relief. Enough to get calm and sleep. If that does not work you could consider getting checked out.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
btmb03
Unregistered

Thanks Pinelady - will definitely get a proper eval tomorrow by my MD.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement