LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » kill bart, bring out lyme (Ear stuff)?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: kill bart, bring out lyme (Ear stuff)?
jenin98
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had major burning, stinging, pain in my feet, chins a month ago. My doc gave me bactrum. The pain has subsided in my feet, about 60 percent. But, now, I have major ear ringing (as opposed to just some ear ringing before last week), and it is like I hear a train in my ears, tons of pressure, and echo sounds, more profound than before.
I also had VIT C IV last week (I do that 1 time a month), and I was taking chlorela for 1 week .
I am waiting on my doc to call me today, but I was thinking out that onion layer concept my llmd told me about, when you kill something, another infection flourishes. So, could that be it? What about the toxins in my brain from the vit C and chlorela ? right now, I am not on any abx for lyme, but my llmd is probably going to put me back on bicillin, which helped so much.
but what do you guys think?

Posts: 455 | From Maryland | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Breaking up for more people to be better able to read and reply:
-------

Jenin writes:

I had major burning, stinging, pain in my feet, chins a month ago. My doc gave me bactrum. The pain has subsided in my feet, about 60 percent.

But, now, I have major ear ringing (as opposed to just some ear ringing before last week), and it is like I hear a train in my ears, tons of pressure, and echo sounds, more profound than before.

I also had VIT C IV last week (I do that 1 time a month), and I was taking chlorela for 1 week .

I am waiting on my doc to call me today, but I was thinking out that onion layer concept my llmd told me about, when you kill something, another infection flourishes.

So, could that be it? What about the toxins in my brain from the vit C and chlorela ? right now,

I am not on any abx for lyme, but my llmd is probably going to put me back on bicillin, which helped so much. but what do you guys think?

(Jenin98)
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My daughter's ear ringing was most probably Lyme related because it disappeared with meds that are used primarily for Lyme--doxy, mino, zith.

I'm not sure if ringing ears is a symptom of Bart, but I would think treating the Lyme would help it stop.

Hopefully the bicillin will give you relief.

Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
www.ata.org

AMERICAN TINNITUS ASSOCIATION

========================

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=065801

Topic: TINNITUS: Ringing Between The Ears; Vestibular, Balance, Hearing with compiled links
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenin98
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12617

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenin98     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up
Posts: 455 | From Maryland | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What dosage of Bactrum are you taking? If you are taking a toxic dosage this can be a side effect. I would ask your doc if you can go to every other day. If you are taking it every day.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenin98
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12617

I am taking 500 mg, 2 times a day of bactrum.
micul
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6314

Icon 1 posted      Profile for micul     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ringing in the ears has nothing to do with killing Bart, or any other co-infection. It's just a common side effect of taking abx. It will probably tone down after a couple of months or more, but could take a lot longer to subside.

Some drugs are worse in this regard for some people. So maybe Bactrim is always going to cause you more ringing than other drugs will. The ringing can also be related to yeast.

The echo effect that you have is probably what is called a patulous eustachian tube. It is usually caused by weight loss, but there can be other reasons for it. See description below:

quote:
PATULOUS EUSTACHIAN TUBE

Patulous eustachian tubes often present a frustrating problem for patients and clinicians.The incidence is reported to be between 0.3-6.6% of the general population.

Patients with patulous eustachian tubes complain of aural fullness, humming tinnitus, and autophony. They also may hear their own breath sounds, which is known as tympanophonia. The sound is synchronous with nasal respiration and resolves when the patient is supine or when upper respiratory tract inflammation occurs. The sounds may be aggravated by mastication.

Symptoms are usually absent when the patient is supine or relieved when the patient bends forward with the head between the knees. For this reason, patients should not be examined in a supine position. Physical examination may reveal a tympanic membrane that moves during forced breathing through one nostril, and an amorphic sound may be heard using a diagnostic tube in the patient's ear.

The eustachian tube is usually closed, and closure is maintained by the elasticity of its cartilage, mucosal lining, surrounding muscles and fat. Alteration of any of these anatomic components may cause patulous eustachian tubes.

Conditions associated with patulous eustachian tubes include: radiation therapy, hormonal therapy, pregnancy, nasal decongestants, fatigue, stress, and weight loss.

Patulous eustachian tubes in the most severe form may be patent at all times, whereas a less severe form has been reported, where the tube is anatomically closed at rest, but may open easily during exercises or in association with a decrease in peritubal extracellular fluid.

Many patients can be treated with simple reassurance after a thorough history and physical examination. Treatment or removal of underlying factors may reverse the problem. Such as weight gain by patients who have lost weight.

Many medical regimens have been described including agents which produce intraluminal and extraluminal swelling, including: insufflation of boric acid and salicylate powder as described by Bezold, application of nitric acid and phenol, oral administration of saturated solution of potassium iodide (10 drops in juice TID), premarin nasal spray (25 mg in 30 cc NS).

New medications are currently under investigation including a herbal combination being evaluated in Japan, and a medication reported Dr. DiBartolomeo of Santa Barbara, California that is composed of chlorobutanol, benzyl alcohol, diluted hydrochloric acid, and propylene glycol. In the initial report, complete elimination of symptoms was reported by 8 of 10 patients. This formulation was derived from chlorinated pool water based on the observation that several patients had eustachian tube congestion proportional to the frequency of time they spent in a public pool. In letter to the editor in American Journal of Otology, Dr. DiBartolomeo indicated that the medication was held up with the FDA.

In patients who do not improve with medical therapy and who want further treatment, several surgical interventions have been used including electrocauterization of the eustachian tube orifice, peritubal injection with gelfoam, paraffin, avitene, or teflon paste, transposition of the tensor veli palatini muscle medial to the pterygoid hamulus, myringotomy with ventilation tube placement, and insertion of an indwelling catheter and subsequent ventilation tube placement. Catheter placement is through either an anterior tympanomeatal flap or through a myringotomy.

The close anatomic relationship of the eustachian tube and the carotid artery should be noted by clinicians who plan inject materials into the eustachian tube orifice, as injection of telfon paste into the carotid artery has been reported.

--------------------
You're only a failure when you stop trying.

Posts: 945 | From U.S | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While it is true that many of the abx used to treat Lyme and co-infections can cause ringing of the ears as a side effect, with my daughter the opposite was true.

One of her first symptoms prior to starting any treatment was the ear ringing that was so bad that it prevented her from sleeping at night.

Once she started Lyme treatment--first on doxy, then mino and zith--her ear ringing stopped completely.

I was very aware of the ototoxicity side effects so was very hesitant to use them on her because of her already having ringing ears; however,for her, the meds made the ringing stop--so whether that was from the abx killing the Lyme or attacking one of the co-infections, I don't know, but it did work.

So, just be aware of the side effects, check with your LLMD, and hopefully treating the Lyme will help abate your ear symptoms.

Good luck!

Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
micul,

Thanks for that info. on the patulous eustachian tube.

jenin98 ,

please also check out the Tinnitus thread above as if you have tinnitus, there are some self-care measures that are important to consider regarding things to decrease inflammation - and attention to the decibel level you are around as abx lower the dB level at which damage can occur.

There are also some physical body work treatments described that might help such as cranial-sacral, yoga, etc.

in addition to possible eustachian tube considerations, there are also other things that can cause an echo, such as SCD, outlined at the tinnitus link.
-

Haley
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as you realize these toxic effects can be permanent. I have a friend that was permanently damaged by this type of drug.

My doctor is conservative and won't let me take toxic amounts of drugs. He's not an LLMD but he is a good doctor. He also told me that 80% of people that take long term Flagyl will have permanent nueropathy. He's very careful with this medicine.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

I think I misread your original post, so let me ask: Did you have ear problems prior to starting the Bactrim?

If you did not, then I wholeheartedly agree with using caution with continuing on this abx.

You mentioned that you aren't on any other meds for Lyme, but are you on any other abx for co-infections that could be causing ear issues?

Sorry if I misread your post. Talk to your LLMD, and please keep us posted on your progress.

I hope your issues resolve quickly.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement