LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Afraid decreased bone mass in 20's

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Afraid decreased bone mass in 20's
runner21
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 1974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for runner21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

I had my third dexa scan recently and it showed i had significantly lost bone mass over the past 1 1/2 years.

I am really alarmed bc my lumbar spine is reading in the 70th percentile...

when i got my results i was in tears.

I have had trouble with my menstruel cycle which often depends on my GI tract.

I think the loss of menses has had a signiciant impact.

I am currently doing my own research, but if anyone is knowledgeable in this area or has any suggestions,i am open to them.

My hormonal system si not working properly and there is alot of controversy on how to treat this.

I am currently doing AI therapy, and decided to wait on any treatments for my hormones untill i am finished, but due to my bone loss i feeling a little scared.

thank you in advance for suggestions.

Runner21

[ 10-08-2009, 02:15 AM: Message edited by: runner21 ]

Posts: 1118 | From jacksonville,fl usa/santa rosa ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blaze
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you use a wireless phone? Calcium efflux (it's movement into and out of cells) is affected by these exposures to electromagnetic radiation. Google the Becker Interview and Freiburger Appeal.

I had osteopenia myself.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
blaze .. everyone uses cell phones. We don't all have osteopenia or osteoporosis.

HI RUNNER!!!! Haven't seen you in SO LONG! It's good to have you back. I'm sorry you are experiencing bone loss. And you're so young!

I know nothing. I hope someone here can help!

Did you get your Lyme under wraps?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

"Perfect Bones" by Pamela Levin is the best reference I have seen and used.

It addresses:
Frame to put minerals in - protein based

Sources of minerals

Fats to transport minerals to bone

Fats to make hormones from, hormones are the "bank managers"

What to use and do as bank guards to keep the bones healthy.

lifeline
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3445

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lifeline     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
runner,

I could have been you in my 20's. Same thing happened to me. I am now in my 60's and doing well even though I have had lots of bone loss.

I never had a period until I was in my late teens, then it was only twice a year. I had difficulty getting pg in my 20's, I think due to that.

I also am hypothyroid, which, the combination of less menses and thyroid problems can really play a part in bone loss.

I had been running for approximately 14 years before I ever had a bone density test, and that was just a fluke. During the time of one of the "Race for the Cures", they just happened to be having a free bone density test with the heel.

When I saw my results, I was shocked that my bones were in such bad shape in the osteoporosis range. That is when I went to an endo and he took an electrophorosis test and it showed I had an M-spike.

Because of that, on top of everything else, I stopped running and now only walk.

I mention this to you because I was told many years ago that due to my menses being so radical and slight, plus my thyroid problems when I was a teen, also, that I probably have always had a bone density problem, but I never did know as no one mentioned a scan back then.

However, my point is that I ran for many years with bad bones because I didn't know, and never broke anything or ever had a fracture. Still have never had further bone problems.

I have been taking Fosamax for many years now. I will be stopping it due to my bones having improved pretty well in the osteopenia range. I also take lots of calcium tabs.

I now have painful ankles due to arthritis, plus sometimes, knees and elbows...but I attribute all that to Lyme disease which I got in 2002, if memory serves. Never had a problems with arthritis until then, then it came on suddenly and never did go away. Some things you live with.

I also want to tell you that two of the docs that I had seen in the past told me just because I had osteoporosis and having never broken or fractured anything while running, that I could continue as that would help build strength. But, I chose to walk only.

I never did get my hormonal system quite right, so I still have problems in that area.

Please don't think that osteoporosis is the end of your sports activities, especially in these times, where there is so much help where bones are concerned.

You probably have strong bones being an athlete. I don't know what AI therapy is, but it sounds like you are on top of it, and I'll bet you will be just fine.

Many Hugs and please don't worry.

lifeline

Posts: 983 | From FL | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Weight bearing exercise helps. Sorry, I don't know much about this topic other than the weight training.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Healing in Santa Cruz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7798

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Healing in Santa Cruz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doc has me taking Strontium Support 2 Supports bone structure.If you have KPU Pyrroluria it has a lot to do with digestion and many other problems.Also Vit D and other supps can help. Of course good diet. Lots of info in Susan Weed herbal books. Especially Menopausal Years, I know ur not menopausal but there is lots of good info for hormones etc. Check library.
Posts: 905 | From Santa Cruz,Calif | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Blaze, it seems like every post is on EMF. Wouldn't we all be dead?
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
runner21
Member # 1974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for runner21     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you all for your help.

Hi TX Lyme mom..its nice to hear from you.

I appreciate the info you have provided.
I will take alook at it all.
In health, runner

Posts: 1118 | From jacksonville,fl usa/santa rosa ca | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

hi runner,

sorry, severe neuro lyme person here; could you break up your paragraphs and DOUBLE space between each one so we can comprehend and read your post?

just click on pencil, 3rd box to right of your name, to open up text; thx so much ...

reading top line;

DO NOT TAKE FOSAMAX; we had 2 members a couple of years ago who BOTH LOST THEIR JAW BONES due to that med they were taking for osteoporosis!! very painful.

bettyg
Unregistered

runner, thx so much for breaking this up for me.

in my personal links, i found this; haven't read it in a long time, but it might have some valuable info for you i hope! [Smile]

OSTEOPENIA, OSTEOPOROSIS from Kittycat. 2002

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=print_topic;f=1;t=007952

pamoisondelune
Member # 11846

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pamoisondelune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some things that can help increase bone density or reduce fracture risk:

Strontium,

Vit K2 (either Vit K2-4 or Vit K2-7, i think; also called MK4 and MK7)(the M is for menaquinone)

Essential oils possibly--- they work in rats; not tested in humans.

Trace minerals--- make sure you've got them all balanced

Bone Restore pills are calcium+ pills that work for me, Life Extension brand. Also Advacal, Lane Labs brand.

Natural Vitamin C--- I heard recently that 500 mg a day of natural Vitamin C FROM FOOD or IN FOOD causes bone growth, or prevents osteoporosis. I didn't even try--- i can't eat that much.

But now i found that Madre Labs has a natural vitamin C powder FROM FOOD, so i take that. However, scientists don't know why the vitamin C has this effect, so there's no guarantee that a powder will work as well as real food.

----Polly Polygonum

[ 10-08-2009, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: pamoisondelune ]

Posts: 1226 | From USA | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
laceyj
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13862

Icon 1 posted      Profile for laceyj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think progesterone builds bone health also, but have to check if you need it
Posts: 187 | From FL | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing not mentioned so far is SOY. Un-fermented soy kills off the enzymes that process minerals and put them into your bones.

My husband lost 2 inches in height over a period of about 2 years before we found this out!! He just got his first DEXA scan, and is in the osteoporosis range. Ugh!

If you're eating SOY products, search HARMFUL EFFECTS OF SOY, and you'll get the data.

I wouldn't use Fosamax, as I have heard (don't recall the source, sorry) that it causes the outside of the bone to get more brittle, but doesn't help the inside.

Strontium does have test results behind it. I'm planning to take that once my thyroid starts behaving. I'm taking the Allergie-Immun drops myself at this time.

(As for thyroid, you could look into the Wilson Temperature Syndrome and the treatment for it, which can work. It didn't work for me, but then, I had Lyme and didn't know it.)

Some people on the Marshall Protocol have reported very significant improvements in bone density over a period of a couple of years.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
runner21
Member # 1974

thank you everyone for the suggestions..
i think avoiding gluten and soy is something to really pay attention to. they were the 2 markers on my immune profile in which i was reactive too. according to AI , the gluten sensitiviity can damage teh small intenstine. and it takes a long time to repair the leaky gut. Right now i am focusing on good quality protiens, soft foods, blending when i can soups, to get max absorptions. i am thinking about also doing bone broths. in chinese medicine this is looked upon as a good overall strengther.

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Sorry, if it's mentioned above (I can't read some of the posts) . . . but have you been assessed for Celiac Disease?

That can cause malabsorption. Many lyme patients develop celiac or at least gluten sensitivities, leading to malabsorption of nutrients. Lyme, alone though, can also affect the way the stomach absorbs nutrients.

====================

Celiac is spelled Coeliac in the UK. The article connects the immune system but, regardless, with celiac occurring, nutrients do not get through.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8295438.stm

Coeliac bone loss link uncovered

People with coeliac disease may be more susceptible to osteoporosis . . .

- Article at link above.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
runner21
Member # 1974

Allergie immune says i do have the wheat allergy. this week about 10 other people say the same thing..

THE VERY STRANGE THIS IS i avoid wheat. I eat mostly whole foods. the only thing i eat out of a can is beans and salmon. i do alot of juices, smoothies, i just dont know wher eth wheat si coming from, however, iam going to overlook the ai post, bc gigi had a list a while back..

thankyou all..Runner

Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Wheat allergy is not the same as having celiac. One can be allergic to wheat and not have celiac. However, those with celiac don't have a "allergy" per se but cannot metabolize gluten in wheat, barley (barley malt) or rye. Oats can be problem for some but not for others with celiac.

However, as long as you avoid gluten, that is good. If you don't have celiac but have an allergy, there is a chance that you might get over the allergy in the future.

There are many other reasons for malabsorption, though.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement