LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What am I doing wrong? Can't get the IV to drip!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What am I doing wrong? Can't get the IV to drip!
xoxoxox
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xoxoxox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I followed the instructions and watched carefully the two times the doctor's office administered the dosage before.

I thought I had done everything correctly but no drip is happening.Before plugging it into my PIC line, the liquid came through the tubing okay.

Currently, the tab is flipped open on the spike that's inserted into the bag, the clamp in the middle of the tubing is open all the way, the PIC Catheter clamp is unclamped.

What else could it be?!

Also, do I need to worry about those little bubbles that might be in the tube? Please tell me there is some sort of safety valve that removes that risk?

Thanks!

--------------------
----------
Danni

Posts: 311 | From Glen Mills, PA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have a valve that has numbers on it too that is like a circle? That has to be set too if you have one and can not be on OFF.

Also did you flush your line? Did it flush ok prior to you trying to infuse?

Those would be the two things I would look at first.

The bubbles you should let the line fully flush out so there are no blubbles prior to plugging yourself in.

If there are just tiny tiny bubbles they will not be a problem .. from what I am told.

Hope this helps..

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xoxoxox
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18778

Icon 1 posted      Profile for xoxoxox     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks springshowers.

Unsure what you mean about the valve with numbers on it. Would this be on my PICC or on the tubing?

I did let the fluid flush through the line before connecting it and the medicine came out of the end.

And I did flush my PICC line with saline before connecting so it appears that both the PICC and the tubing are clear.

Just a pressure problem somewhere?

Can I disconnect it all and start over or will that mess it up?

--------------------
----------
Danni

Posts: 311 | From Glen Mills, PA | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Always do your IV's during working office hours so that your doctor is available to answer questions like this! Meanwhile, If you can't get it to flow, and the line flushed fine...try squeezing the bottom of the IV bag, right above where it drips. If that all fills up it wont run right. You might have to take the IV bag off the pole turn it upside down and squeeze the little plastic tube where it drips. Hope that makes sense. Make sure the line is unclamped, and your PICC is unclamped too [Wink]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi

The number valve is an additional valve they put in the tubing. Not in the pick line tubes.

It is round and has numbers on it and it controls the drip time.

I have to set my to a certain number so that the drip is controled.
Usually they have that kind of control or the type that you roll up or down to control the speed.

Which do you have? There should be one or the other.

And if it is set to off you will get no drip.

Hope you figure it out.

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Wild

My IVs are ordered to be done at 7am and 7pm.. Not always can we do it during office hours sadly.

But there is always a nursing line you can call if your hospital or insurance company has one.

soleil16
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16326

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soleil16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes you can just try to do an extra saline flush- that's what my nurse told me to do if all clamps are open, you have turned the dial to 'on' and nothing is happening. It's worked every time.
Posts: 236 | From Washington | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xoxoxox
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18778

Thanks all-
It finally worked after shifting everything around and shaking it all but it was dripping very slowly.

Hopefully, it will go a little smoother tonight.

WildCondor - Ideally, it would better if my treatment could occur during office hours but unfortunately, those are my office hours as well [Smile]

Glad you are all here to help during these tricky times!

--------------------
----------
Danni

bncrump
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bncrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
xoxoxox - Did you squeeze the little tube that sits under the bag to fill it 1/2 way before you tried to drip the medicine?

I have a feeling that is what you forgot to do.

After you spike the bag, squeeze the holding tube underneath to fill it about 1/2 way. Then, continue to clear the line and let any old medicine leave the line.

Hope this helps. [Smile]

Posts: 114 | From Atlanta, GA | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
riverpatrol
Member # 12182

Icon 1 posted      Profile for riverpatrol     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Make sure that your PICC insertion point is considerably lower than the IV bag. The lower I get, the faster it drips. [Big Grin]
Posts: 69 | From So Cal | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xoxoxox
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18778

Thanks bncrump & riverpatrol -

I'll try those suggestions tonight if I run into the same problem!

--------------------
----------
Danni

Gace24
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2652

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gace24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi,

Is the tubing you are using vented tubing? You mentioned that the tab by the spike is open. If you are using antibiotics in a glass bottle the tab should be open to vent out or displace air in the bottle so it will drip. (physics).

If you are using a regular IV bag try closing the tab by the spike so air does not get in in the bag. This may help the IV to drip properly.
Don't need to vent a regular bag.

Grace

Posts: 113 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xoxoxox
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18778

Oh, thanks for the tip, Grace.

The Rocephin is in a plastic drip bag, so the clip doesn't need to be open?

I'll try that out tonight.

--------------------
----------
Danni

Gace24
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2652

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gace24     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Danni,

If what you are talking about is the tab for the vent and your bag is plastic does not need to be open. Did you get it to drp ok?

Grace

Posts: 113 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xoxoxox
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18778

It worked fine last night. I left the tab closed and tried all of the above suggestions. Who knows which one was an issue (maybe all of them?) but it's working OK now.

Hopefully, I'll be an expert in no time!

Thanks Grace and thanks to everyone for the suggestions!

--------------------
----------
Danni

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement