LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » What percentage of lyme patients getting swine flu?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What percentage of lyme patients getting swine flu?
springshowers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am curious who has had the swine flu and what percentage of people with lyme are getting it?

I was diagnosed today and I feel so horrible.

I can not seem to catch a break.. I swear..

I see at least one other swime flu poster.

Do you feel there is a problem with Tamiflu? I was given that as a script but am going to buy the Oscillococcinum too.

I should be able to take both?

I was given a couple bags of IV support today and a Homeopathic shot as well.

I DO NOT want to have this right now.. I was just turning a corner in my treatment...

So im hoping it will be short? A few days??

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I'd take the Tamiflu - you need to take it NOW - starting at the onset and continue as prescribed.

Oscillococcinum is for prevention or at the very first sign. Once you have it, I don't know if it will be of any help.

Take care of your lungs and REST. Hope you feel better in a few days.

========

There are some posts at Health Ranger and Mercola sites about how to treat naturally but the FDA forbids claims (and I understand that - to a degree).

Tamiflu actually started from the Chinese Star Anise. It has its place. Personally, I don't know enough about the finished medicine but your doctor dx you, you have it and I'd take it.

However, I'd also consider allicin, olive leaf extract and lomatium tincture

additional lung support from Cordyceps, fish oil and vitamin E . . .

a way to reduce the cytockine storm - Stinging Nettle and Quercetin would be my choice- and lots of freshly juiced vegetables.

I would avoid ANY and ALL commercial cough syrups that contain anything artificial. Black Elderberry syrup may help.

Also Cankermelts can help keep your throat moist with licorice in a disc that takes hours to melt away. It sticks to the side of your mouth and turns to a thin gel patch so you won't swallow it if you fall asleep.

Many pharmacies carry this or see: http://www.vitacost.com/Cankermelts-GX-Canker-Sore-Oral-Patch

To break up lung congestion: over the counter Guaifenesin - with as few additives as possible. Take with food to avoid stomach upset.

You need the very best of nutrition, even if you don't feel like eating. Home-made chicken soup, is in fact, a good idea. Ask your friends to make and leave outside your front door. Really!

If the FDA sees this, they can ask me to remove it as it appears that I'm saying these things will cure the H1N1. I am not. I'm just saying these are things I would do. I don't have my perfect plan in place but these are things that have helped me in the past.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
glm1111
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 16556

Icon 1 posted      Profile for glm1111     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spring,

You have got be kidding!! I am so sorry that you got this nasty flu. Does anyone else around you have it? I hope it doesn't last long.

The IV support and Homeopathic shot you received should help. Hope you feel better VERY soon, [group hug]

Gael

--------------------
PARASITES/WORMS ARE NOW
RECOGNIZED AS THE NUMBER 1 CO-INFECTION IN LYME DISEASE BY ILADS*

Posts: 6418 | From philadelphia pa | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
It may also help your lungs to sleep (or rest) with your upper torso elevated.

Organic Pomegranate juice (warmed up) would be a nice anti-oxidant treat. Trader Joe's has a nice one. They also have a nice white tea with pomegranate (tea bags). Hot liquids are very good to help the lungs.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Maryland Mom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2043

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Maryland Mom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to hear you got hit with the H1N1 flu too! (I had it 2 weeks ago).

Good news is, this is a relatively mild strain of flu. I've had seasonal flus in past years--pre-Lyme--that were much, much worse.

Take the Tamiflu, rest, drink lots of clear liquids, and I hope you're soon feeling better!

Posts: 962 | From Charleston | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the great info and ideas and support.
I am in a lot of pain.. Ughh

I was wondering if anyone has the dosaging that Dr. Mercola recommends for the Vitamin D treatment.

I did get some of the D3 drops nad my doctor told me how much to take but I was so out of it and figured I could easily look it up.

The drops are 2000 in potency and I recall something like doing 1500 a day for three days?

Anyone who knows this protocol please let me know or point me to the link.

THANKS MUCH

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenl
Member # 17753

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor told me if I would get the flu :

after the virus bacteria cause the pneumonia or kidney infection

he thinks this is the dangerous part

and to take antibiotics then for pneumonia immediately. Most people wait too long to take the antibiotics when they get the lung or kidney infection.
Probably keep a few pills of antibiotics at home - just in case you need them.

I got some amoxil 500 or azithromycin 250.

Hope you feel better soon.
Karen

Posts: 1834 | From US | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymie_in_md
Member # 14197

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymie_in_md     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Look into triphala, I found it to be great for upper respiratory infections and detoxification issues. It could be a good complement to guaifenesin and several of the other remedies mentioned.

Also consider echinacea either tea or tincture.

--------------------
Bob

Posts: 2150 | From Maryland | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's what Forrest Health recommends:

Cold and Flu Relief
There are many approaches to assisting the body with overcoming colds and flu's, the one shown here is based on the principles of homeopathy using some of the best and most potent remedies on the market.

What Does a Complete Program Include?
Use of SyImmune or SyInfect at the first sign of a cold or flu depends on whether you are ia 1) in a chronic or acute state, and 2) a slow or strong responder in terms of immune response.

Treating H1N1 would involve combining SyResp with either SyImmune or SyInfect.

For prevention
SyImmune - 1-2 tablets dissolved under the tongue daily or during times of exposure.

At the first sign of a cold or flu:
SyImmume - 1 tablet dissolved under the tongue every 20 minutes for up to 4 hours. Then dissolve 1 tablet under the tongue 3 times per day.

SyInfect - 1 tablet dissolved under the tongue every 20 minutes for up to 4 hours. Then dissolve 1 tablet under the tongue 3 times per day.

Quentans - 2 capsules or 1 suppository daily
Mycobactin S - 1 capsule 2 times per week.

For flu with digestive distress:
SyGest - 1 tablet dissolved under the tongue 2-3 times daily for nausea and bloating.

For sinus congestion:
Notatum-Quentans Nasal Spray - Spray into each nostril 3-4 times per day, (also great for prevention when traveling)
PEKANA Ricura - 1/4 teaspoon as needed for symptoms.

Complementary remedies to consider:

apo-PULM - For congestive cough
apo-TUSS - For dry cough
SprayAway - For sore throat
Okoubaka - For diarrhea from stomach flu
NEU-regen - For difficulty recovering vitality after flu

Not Certain What To Do Next?
If you are uncertain as to which products or programs to use or which tests to take; or, if you would like additional help:

Contact us with a brief question.
Arrange a phone consultation with Dr. Forrest.
Call ( 408) 354-4262

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Curley911
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 2205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Curley911     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had the swine flu . . . it was miserable but I survived. The chest congestion caught me off guard since I've never had bronchitis before. It was EXTREMELY painful to cough at all, felt like my chest was on fire. My fever was 102.

Fortunately that only lasted one day but I was left with considerable congestion for the next 3 days. The kind where I couldn't talk because the flem was so thick.

I was sick about 5 days and then returned to work because my fever been normal for 2 days. I felt awful but I did what I had to do.

The week following being sick I was very tired and the next week I was better but still required alot of rest. 3 wks after onset I felt my first day of normal.

The only difference from this an the flu in my 20's is the chest thing and how long I felt bad afterwards. I did not have lyme symptom's in my 20's.

Hang in there, my ARNP (lyme literate) put me on Bamboo Extract. She said that is what the Chinese are using to treat it. I was too late seeing her to get Tamiflu.

Take care!

Posts: 982 | From Florida | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spring, I just saw this.....

I would give the Oscillo a shot first. Take one dose. If you don't feel symptoms lifting to some degree within say 2 or 3 hours, then go for the Tamiflu.

As I recall, for best results, both Tamiflu and Oscillo should be taken ASAP after onset of symptoms. But I think Oscillo worked for Ipkayak on a flu earlier in the year, even after having the flu for several days after she was sick.

I wouldn't bother to take them together. I kind of doubt the Oscillo can work in the `shadow' of an anti-viral, but I have no evidence for that. I've not read of anyone who did both. I guess I prefer sticking to one system of medicine - not both. (Herbs are on a whole other level, though.)

I don't know which flu I had last week-end. My philosophy with any invader is to shoot first (with homeopathics) and ask for names later. So, who knows. But I definitely had the bad cough and infection rapidly settling in my lungs/bronchials. Had a slight fever the next day but felt just fine.

I only had the flu for maybe 6 hours so maybe that doesn't even count. [Smile]

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spring, I just saw this.....

I would give the Oscillo a shot first. Take one dose. If you don't feel symptoms lifting to some degree within say 2 or 3 hours, then go for the Tamiflu.

As I recall, for best results, both Tamiflu and Oscillo should be taken ASAP after onset of symptoms. But I think Oscillo worked for Ipkayak on a flu earlier in the year, even after having the flu for several days after she was sick.

I wouldn't bother to take them together. I kind of doubt the Oscillo can work in the `shadow' of an anti-viral, but I have no evidence for that. I've not read of anyone who did both. I guess I prefer sticking to one system of medicine - not both. (Herbs are on a whole other level, though.)

I don't know which flu I had last week-end. My philosophy with any invader is to shoot first (with homeopathics) and ask for names later. So, who knows. But I definitely had the bad cough and infection rapidly settling in my lungs/bronchials. Had a slight fever the next day but felt just fine.

I only had the flu for maybe 6 hours so maybe that doesn't even count. [Smile]

What in the world is a 'homeopathic shot'? [confused]

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imagine2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3136

Icon 1 posted      Profile for imagine2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spring,
PLEASE call your dr. if you are having breathing problems. If you can't catch a breath, your doc needs to know this.

Hope you feel better.

Posts: 677 | From Virginia | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Thanks for the ideas all.

I am still sick and in a lot of pain. The pain is sharp shooting through my whole chest cavity and through all my organs and lungs hurt front and back of my chest. Feels like the virus is just having a hay day.

I just want to get through this.

In an odd way.. i have to admit. This illness is powering over so much of any of my lyme symptoms it feels like it is giving me a mental break from the lyme.

Is that weird? It feels odd.... I feeling kinda happy about that. I mean 10 years of that same old crap. I know its all there under all the the horrible flu symptoms but its being masked over.

Well... sometimes I guess we all would rather have naything that that chronic ongoing lyme related symptoms and even if this is for a momenet and it is a mind trip and I am feeling
just horribly. I feel differnt.. And differnt is good.

I know..A weird way of looking at it.

Thanks all

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Hang in there....

Did you end up trying any meds?

Same here, Spring. For a few hours, my usual symptoms sort of faded into the background. I especially noticed that my knee and heel pain were barely noticeable.

It always surprises me when it happens, but in fact, it is a well-known phenomenon.

--------------------
Tracy

springshowers
Member # 19863

Hi.> I am taking Tamiflu and also the Oscillo. I am also taking Vitamin D Drops like Dr. Mercola suggests in higher dosages for 3 days.

My doctor mentioned that I am on so many Abx that I should not have to worry about anything bacterial. But they pulled my Port access on Friday and I am not taking any IV abx for now.

Should I add in oral Zith. I have a bunch. I do not want to get any kidney or lung infections. I have had pnemonia a few times and have plura problems and the pain is in my lungs.

My breathing is ok and not causing problems. So I do think that may not be or become an issue.

Tonight is not as horribly bad as the last two nights so far but I have been taking a lot of pain meds and such to help me sleep and the pain I have in my organs are sharp shooting viral pains.
I now after years can tell what is in charge . Viral Bacterial Fungal or Parasite... I mean not in detail but overall I can tell who is causing havic.

It is so definately viral right now..

I keep hearing from people that sometimes this can activate the immune system and when you get over it the lyme is better too>

I am hoping for that Result.

!!!!!!!

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

How very interesting that you can tell what's 'attacking' you at the moment...... that's got to be worth a lot!

Well, you're now a 'guinea pig' - Tamiflu + Oscillo + some abx + Vit D. [Smile]

Good to hear your breathing is okay!

--------------------
Tracy

springshowers
Member # 19863

so do you think that since 50 percent of the population is supposed to get the swine flu that 50 percent of lyme patients will?

I was curious and not sure if many lyme patients do not get the flu because i hear about how many say they do not get sick while they have lyme?

Is there anything to that?

I am doing alright. But I have moved to some terrible vomiting all day and i can not keep anything down. I was actually able to eat the first day? weird...

Ugghhh.. its not fun...

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Ugh. Very sorry Spring. Bear in mind that common side effects of TAMIFLU include nausea and vomiting. [Frown]

Ginger is supposed to be very good for nausea and vomiting....

Good question, but not sure how we will ever know.

I read yesterday that the U.S., the WHO, Europe and most other countries stopped counting swine flu cases back in July. Everything we are hearing now are just guesstimates.

All I know from reading homeopathic literature - and the observations of sick people going back 200 years - is that the strongest 'disease' will dominate.

If your Lyme (or coinfection) is stronger in your body than the flu, then you won't get the flu. If the flu is stronger than your Lyme at the moment, then you get the flu. (And as you noticed, your Lyme symptoms will fade into the background a bit.)

--------------------
Tracy

Karensky
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21350

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karensky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I caught a cold 3 weeks ago and can't shake it off but taking 3000

mgs of Vit. c makes me feel better and clears up the plegm a bit...

I am not as bad now as I was in the beginning...it is drying up but

slowly...verrrry slowly...I am afraid to get the flu shot on top of

lyme and now this cold...my LLMD said stay clear of the H1N1

but ...

that the regular shot would be OK...might make me sick for a

few days only...I have had 2 really bad flu bugs before...really

knocked the life out of me for months so I can't imagine I would

be able to survive another one in my lyme weakened state...

I am going to do homeo/herbal preventatives like ones

mentioned here already and rest as much as I can and try to stay

out of crowded public places...hand-washing etc...I don't know

I just am afraid of putting more toxins into my body !

[confused]

--------------------
"Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues , but the parent of all others "....Cicero

Posts: 254 | From new jersey | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

That's precisely what would happen to me if I got a cold or the flu, Karensky - it would hit hard and linger on and on....

I'm quite sure I got my flu bug from a checker at the grocery store who was snuffling and telling me the whole time she was HANDLING my puchases about how sick she was and she should be home!

Sheesh. What are people thinking?

[bonk] [bonk] [bonk] [bonk] [bonk] [bonk] [shake]

--------------------
Tracy

springshowers
Member # 19863

Hey all. I was wondering. I read some places that once you get the swine flu your done with it for the season?
But other places I hear of people having it over and over.

SO is there fear of relapse?

My son is not getting sick and I am worried about passing it back and forth ?

springshowers
Member # 19863

I feel I am responding to the Tamiflu and yes I am also taking the Oscill and I also am taking extra Vitamin D3 and Extra amounts of Silver which I already was on.

Those are the items besides chicken soup.

And yes Ginger and Chamomile tea. Sadly when the nausea gets really bad even the tea will not stay down.

But I feel as one symptom fades another comes forward and I will say this is not as bad as the flu I had in Jan 08 that kept me in bed for two months of pure H e double hockey stick.

It was what created my full relapse of the whole group of all infections I had and I have not been able to regain even back to my last status which was disable but at least up and around a few hours a day and was able to keep up on personal hygeine, laundery, and even took a short swim in my pool every other day.

I have not been able to keep any of my supplements down really besides those couple i mentioned and my whole lyme protocol is on hold.

I have faith I will be able to get back to it sometime this week ...

I cant wait as I was making some headway through that thick wall I was stuck at for the past couple years.

aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spring showers, I hope you are feeling better soon!
Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I was just reading in that those with adrenal fatigue issues have much more trouble with the flu. That pretty much covers everyone with lyme. So, be careful and rest up.

================

"Adrenal Fatigue . . ." a book by James L. Wilson, N.D., D.C., Ph.D.

Excerpt from page 209:

" . . . respiratory infections are especially hard on the adrenal glands and fatigue them rapidly. . . . adrenal exhaustion was present on 103 of the 126 autopsied cases of mortality from the [1918] flu epidemic. In 3 other cases he even found adrenal hemorrhages and enlargement of the adrenal glands to twice their size. . . ."
-

springshowers
Member # 19863

Hi.
I was looking into how long this is contageous. Seems longer than normal flu and instead of a few days it is a week or so.

Also when to go back out into public and for me how long til i go back into treatment at the clinic.

How long after symptoms are gone? How long after fever breaks? There are various opinions.

From what I read.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20090914/BREAKING/90914078?source=rss_breaking

I think from what a read 7 days from onset or however long symptoms take to go away... using which ever is longest.

farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Springshowers, hope by today you are feeling better! Lots of good advice.

My LLMD said absolutely not to flu shots. But he did call in a Rx for Tamiflu so I have it ready for the first signs.

I am trying to talk my son into flu shots for my grandchildren. Otherwise I am advised to limit my exposure to them. Hope he listens to me!

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bugg
Member # 8095

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bugg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For what it's worth, I just saw on Dr. Oz where he says the cold usually lasts for 5-7 days and the flu usually lasts for 2 weeks....

I've had the flu now for about a week and 1/2...no fever but still dragging and itchy throat/cough...Ugh...Fun times...

Posts: 1155 | From Southeast | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement