LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Anyone Have A Problem with Doxycycline?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone Have A Problem with Doxycycline?
daphnesmom
Member # 22267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daphnesmom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starting back on meds after a break. Tried Ceftin, and had some itching and breathlessness after a couple of weeks. Same with one Bicillin shot.

I just started Doxyclycine, and after the second pill, got a whopping migraine. I suffer with Migraines which started half way into treatment.

I read that Doxy can cause headaches, so I wonder if this migraine that I've been dealing with for a week, is Doxy killing bugs, or a reaction to the Doxy itself.

I was hoping this medication would be ok. I took it in the beginning of tx two years ago and was fine.

These headaches are so awful.

Posts: 79 | From Northeast US | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It sounds like you are really ticking something

off, big time. I would call and see if doc thinks

you have a coinfection by the symptoms. It may do

better with something that works for people who get

this symptom while taking this. Meaning people

who get headaches while taking doxy usually means

they have xxxxxx, and should be swithched to

xxxxxx. It may help. Thats why we have LLMD's.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cannot take doxycycline because of the risk of increased intracranial pressure.

(I had an embedded tick yesterday and am looking for some answers as to what else to take since the doxy is the first line treatment.)

Are you overweight or do you have high blood pressure? have you had an MRI for the headaches?

Here is some information you might find helpful.
PS. Not everything is a herx, I would check this your with your Dr. ASAP.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1125522

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
daphnesmom
Member # 22267

Icon 1 posted      Profile for daphnesmom   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I got the headache I looked online and read about Intrcranial Hypertension and Doxy.

I recently had brain MRI for the headaches and they did see some light hypertension...cause unknown...my guess it's Lyme, Lyme cyst or a co.

It was my idea to go with Doxy because I am having trouble find something I can take.

I see my LLMD on Monday so, I will stop taking it until then. Kind of don't want to because otherwise I feel it's helping my Lyme Symptoms.

No I am not overweight, and my blood pressure is low.

Posts: 79 | From Northeast US | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MarsyNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didnt know that light hypertension could show
up on an MRI. Its good you have that information.

Now stop taking the doxycycline until you see your LLMD on Monday!!!!

Sorry but the risks of vision loss is beyond scary with this esp since you have a finding and
the increased headache.

My heart goes out to you if I could have taken the Doxy last nite in the ER I would have. Now Im stuck with not knowing what to take or how to proceed as well...

Hugs,

Marsy

Posts: 465 | From New York, NY | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Need Lots of Help
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18603

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Need Lots of Help     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only problem I had with Doxy was the sunburn on my hands from driving and the big herx I had when I began taking it. But, it was more than just headache, it was dizziness, nausea and vertigo.

It took 2 weeks, but I kept taking it because it was the first anitiboitic I was prescribed for lyme, and I was determined to kick it....here I am a year later and no better....ugh.

Posts: 893 | From Florida | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My LLMD actually doesn't use doxy as a first choice or even a second one for that matter.

I was 15 months into treatment before taking doxy and it has worked the best for me so far. Been on it for 3 months now, low dose, and am finally starting to feel a little better.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MarsyNY
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 7766

Suther,

What were the antibiotics that your LLMD used?

Doxycyline is the first choice it seems with most doctors here on LI and is the prophylaxis used for early tick bite. The ER would not give me anything else last nite so Im wondering what LLMD's prescribe instead.

Thanks...

seekhelp
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 15067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seekhelp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I despise Doxy. It caused massive head pressure every time. I had to stop.
Posts: 7545 | From The 5th Dimension - The Twilight Zone | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had no trouble with Doxy the first time I was on it, then I got switched to Amoxyl for some other issues (didn't work, and I got massive migraine-like pain that lasted for 2 weeks before it calmed down).

Now I've been back on Doxy for 2 weeks, and I've suddenly got massive migraine-like pain again.

I don't know what to think.

Am I reacting to the Doxy in a way I didn't before, am I killing more bugs this time, or is it something else?

Argh, I'm so frustrated!!!!

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What do you think of the concept of needing to take at least 400mg to kill off lyme.

What low doses are you on that help??

I am confused by this. I read on Dr. B and other places that for Doxy to work it has to be 400mg or more per dose.

??

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Moonchild
Member # 23147

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Moonchild     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is my sixth week on Doxy- I have finally recovered recently from a horrible headache that I had for 10 days- I kept taking the doxy b/c it's all I have right now until I see a LLMD. My headahce went away... THANK GOODNESS. But, I'm still not feeling that great [Frown]

I hope your headache subsides soon.

Posts: 15 | From NY | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pab
Member # 904

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pab     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doxy can cause increased intracranial pressure. My sons have severe cases of pseudo-tumor cerebri.

They can't take any of the cycline meds.

--------------------
Peggy

~ ~ Hope is a powerful medicine. ~ ~

Posts: 2775 | From MN | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement