LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How much Magnesium should I take?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How much Magnesium should I take?
LymedOut
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymedOut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor told me to start taking magnesium so that I can sleep better at night. I forgot to ask him how much to take. I've been in so much pain lately that I'm not able to sleep well at all. I have magnesium supplements and powdered magnesium but I hate the way the powdered tastes, so how much of the magnesium supplements should I take to start? They are 200mg a pill.

--------------------
The advice I give, should not be considered medical advice. My opinion comes from years of research and experience.

Posts: 233 | From Somewhere | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
timaca
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for timaca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A women's requirement for Mg is 320 mg. A man's is 420 mg.

I take between 400 and 500 mg a day. (My multi-vit has 100 mg).

Start with one tablet at night. See how it affects you. Work up to two tablets if needed.

Mg won't solve all your sleep problems. It can help your muscles feel relaxed. If you take too much, it can make you feel like a rag doll (even 200 mg on an empty stomach does this to me).

Too much Mg can also cause loose stools.

Best, Timaca

Posts: 2872 | From above 7,000 ft in a pine forest | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymedOut
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymedOut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you for responding Timaca. I took 200mg last night and about two hours later, I felt short of breath. I've taken the magnesium with Vit D and felt that way too. I thought it was the Vit D because I've taken this magnesium before. I will try it again tonight and if I feel that way again, I will just have to use the powder. The powder doesn't do that to me.

--------------------
The advice I give, should not be considered medical advice. My opinion comes from years of research and experience.

Posts: 233 | From Somewhere | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 14 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LymedOut - Have you tried transdermal Mg? Once I tried it, I never went back to pills or powder. If you do try it, start with half the full dose, mixed in a glass (actual glass) with same amount of H2O and sit on the edge of your tub and pour it slowly onto areas around your thighs arms and belly.

If you have arrythmias, even more important to start with lower doses. If you have too high a dose, you'll develop loose bowels; just cut down the dose.

Transdermal Mg oil only takes 10 - 15 minutes to absorb through the skin. It's wonderful stuff.

www.magnesiumdirect.com

ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

--------------------
ping

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I take 1,000 mg a day of magnesium glycinate. The higher dose helps control seizures for me, so I may need a higher dose than others.

I've found nothing that works better than magnesium to help so many different symptoms but the lower doses don't even phase me.

Ping, thanks for the transdermal link. I've been wanting to explore that delivery method.

=========

http://www.vrp.com/articles.aspx?ProdID=art1066&zTYPE=2

Seizures: A Nutritional Approach - By Ward Dean, MD

Excerpt:

. . . Magnesium: 500-1,000 mg/day

. . . .
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
This is included in Burrascano's Guidelines, but you may want to be able to refer to it separately, too:

http://www.lymepa.org/Nutritional_Supplements.pdf

Nutritional Supplements in Disseminated Lyme Disease

J.J. Burrascano, Jr., MD (2008)
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymedOut
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22351

Thanks to both of you. I've never heard of Transdermal mg. Very interesting!

--------------------

Linda09
Member # 21892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Linda09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can take a bath with Epsom salts

from Wikipedia "Magnesium sulfate (or magnesium sulphate) is a chemical compound containing magnesium and sulfur, with the formula MgSO4.

" In its hydrated form the pH is 6.0 (5.5 to 6.5). It is often encountered as the heptahydrate, MgSO4�7H2O, commonly called Epsom salt. "

Posts: 24 | From New Jersey | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymedOut
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22351

Thanks for the information. I do Epsom salt baths, but not everyday. I mainly do them to detox. I didn't know you could benefit from the magnesium that way. Maybe that's why I'm so relaxed after, lol.

--------------------

LymedOut
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22351

I'm very interested in that transdermal mg but it's so expensive. Could I get the spray bottle and somehow add water to it? It says that you can spray the oil right on your skin.

--------------------

Cass A
Member # 11134

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cass A     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As an answer to the original question, you'd want at least twice as much magnesium as calcium. As you get older, the proportion increases.

A way to tell if you're getting enough magnesium is when your bowel movements become looser. Runny is TOO MUCH!!

Personally, I use the A to B Calm and Peter Gilliam's CALM. These are both powders that you put into hot water to dissolve. Tablet magnesium tends to go right through the bowel without dissolving.

Also, magnesium and calcium need an acid environment to be absorbed if you take them orally, and both of these powders are acidic.

There's been quite a lot of discussion at Lymenet about transdermal magnesium. Try doing a search.

Best,

Cass A

Posts: 1245 | From Thousand Oaks, CA | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LymedOut
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22351

Thank you Cass. I do have a powdered magnesium called Natural Calm but it tastes pretty bad(even with stevia), and makes my stomach upset. I guess since it's best that I do take it, I can somehow get past that. Maybe take it every other day.

--------------------

ping
Member # 6974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LymedOut:
I'm very interested in that transdermal mg but it's so expensive. Could I get the spray bottle and somehow add water to it? It says that you can spray the oil right on your skin.

LymedOut - The expense is not as bad as it looks and the oil lasts a long time.

Do NOT spray the oil directly on your skin, as it burns like crazy! No need to mix water with it until you squirt it into the glass and get ready to apply it, then mix it 50/50.

Please keep in mind that the amount of Mg that your individual body needs is NOT the amounts you need to apply that you see on the label. Most of us are just Mg deficient enough to cause our bodies not to function properly; not to say that we have virtually no Mg in the body. I've found that I need only 20 spritzes, mixed with water, every other day, or a couple of times per week to solve my Mg deficiency. You might need more to begin with, but please don't use the full dose to start.

The reason for applying the Mg oil and water to the torso area (and across your back, if you're able to stand in the tub and bend forward at the hips) is to help insure that it's absorbed throughout the body (esp. intestinal tract). I've just found this to be the easiest and fastest way.

ping

--------------------
ping

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marnie
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 773

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marnie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because so little Mg is absorbed when we take it orally, you could apply it to your skin. We DO absorb things thru our skin.

Liquimins makes MgCl in a small glass bottle. Not expensive. One eyedropper full contains 200mg.

It can be applied directly to your skin - like a dropper full applied to your arm. Your skin may burn for a short time. It doesn't do so for me...but I am not low in Mg, nor do I have lyme.

There are other topical forms available over the internet, but are more $$$

Such as:

http://www.healthmiracles.net/ancient-minerals-topical-magnesium-products.html

Mg works in conjunction with B6 esp.

The absolute best form of B6 is P5P (taken sublingual). Some people lack the ability to breakdown B6 into its most usable form (P5P which is also called PLP).

Look very closely at what B6 does...how it works...esp. re: Na and GABA.

Go here:

http://www.theuplink.com/TheUplink%20Archives/UPLINK36%20Web%20Site.pdf

Niacinamide is the "non-flushing" form of niacin...better.

Keep pumping in probiotics too!!!

Yeast lowers Mg and K...further! Gotta keep the "good guys" up to contain the # of yeast which is NORMALLY present in our bowels too.

Posts: 9424 | From Sunshine State | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Marnie, thanks for those links.

My ND, a couple years ago had a formula for me to mix water and epson salt in a sturdy plastic bottle in the shower. It was something like 1/4 c salts to 3 cups water - but that is just a guess. It has to be dissolved, so make it before the shower and shake it around a bit. I made it more concentrated and left room to add some hot water just before using.

After showering, turning off the water, pour the concentrated solution all over body and wait a couple minutes and then rinse off thoroughly. I also re-soaped just a bit (with non-petroleum based shower gel) so that my skin would not be too dry.

The page she gave me said that more magnesium is absorbed that way much more effectively than in a bath (and you actually use less epson salts in the long run).

I tried that a couple times but found that it sort of itched the longer I left it on. And I'd get too cold just standing there.

I suppose if one had a bathroom with a heater, it would be best and if the solution starts to irritate skin, go ahead and rinse off as soon as that might be noticed. Watering down the solution for the next time also worked for me.

A foot soak, too, or even a hand soak in Epson Salts is another way to go, although the oil would have a longer rate of absorption as it can stay on the skin. But a carton of epson salts, while about $4-5 for a half gallon cartoon, is less expensive.
-

LymedOut
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22351

Thanks everyone. So much great information. I think I may try it transdermal and see what happens. I'm still nauseated from drinking it last night.

--------------------

ping
Member # 6974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LymedOut - Which ever transdermal you decide on, be sure to distribute it on your body using your forearms, not your hands (and do wash your hands afterward, else everything will taste like salt). Let it air dry on your skin for about 5 minutes before re-dressing.

Another heads-up. If you have a cat or dog who likes to rub against your legs, etc., you need to somehow discourage that for at least 15 minutes. Esp. cats because they'll lick the Mg off their hair and I don't know what effect that will have on the creature.

Best of luck and let us know what eventually works for you.

ping

--------------------
ping

LymedOut
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22351

ping,

Thank you again for everything and thank you regarding the heads up about animals. I have 2 dogs and a cat and my cat loves being around me. My dog loves to lick so I will have to watch that too.

--------------------

ping
Member # 6974

The directions say that you can shower the oil off after about 10 minutes, as it's fully absorbed by that time. Once done, doggie can lick away after that!

ping

--------------------
ping

LymedOut
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22351

Hehe, thanks. She loves licking the lotion I put on after I bathe.

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement