LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » How do I get a photo of Babesia in my blood?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: How do I get a photo of Babesia in my blood?
mixxster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22765

Icon 5 posted      Profile for mixxster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all, just moved here from another forum.

I know babesia testing is addressed a lot on this board, but I'm not finding what I'm looking for.

I watched this Youtube video with Dr. S talking about Babesia and Bartonella: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prn6anlSO48

The kid in this video on youtube reminds me of myself growing up.

The video says:
quote:
"In the end- the special blood test that found the bartonella and babesia cost $265."
How could they get photos of babesia and bartonella, and the tests for that little $?

Anyone know what specific babesia tests these would be, and how to obtain a photo like that? I'm so tired of these hidden bacteria destroying my life while people call me crazy for making all this up. I want a positive test, and I want photographic evidence, so I can finally see the little *******s.

I want a photo like this:

-
(Wikipedia)

I just called Igenex, and they said they don't release any photos of blood samples, not even my own blood.

I own Dr. S's book Babesia Update 2009, but the book doesn't tell me how I would be able to hold and own one of these photos.

So who DOES release imaging similar to this for Babesia? What about Bartonella Imaging?
I want a freakin photo, I'm very upset Igenex doesn't release photos. [cussing]

[ 11-03-2009, 11:28 AM: Message edited by: mixxster ]

Posts: 121 | From Silver Spring, Maryland | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you take babesia blood tests from Quest, LabCorp, Igenex, Sonoma County Public Health Lab?

You won't get a photo....but it would tell you if you have it or not.

I don't see why a photo would be important if the bloodwork comes back positive.

Often babesia is in such small concentrations in the blood, infecting less than 1% of red blood cells, that it is unlikely to see it in a regular smear like what you see above. Being able to see it in a random smear is like winning the babesia testing lottery.

So I would stick to the titer tests. If those don't come back positive, I can't imagine you would have enough babesia floating around that you'd see it on a slide.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
F labs in Az will give you a picture.
Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mixxster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mixxster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would really really like a photo just for myself, I really am near the breaking point, and seeing something physically wrong with my blood cells would provide a lot of relief for me and my family.

That being said, if I must resort to a standard lab, should I go through Fry? Igenex? My Babesia books don't have many good things to say about Quest or LabCorp.

Posts: 121 | From Silver Spring, Maryland | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mixxster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mixxster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by feelfit:
F labs in Az will give you a picture.

Do you mean Fry Labs? Can you elaborate please? Does anyone have a sample of this picture or pricing? Reliability?
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yup. they have a website. do a search on here for photos..several have been posted. You get your own photo....2 I think, in living color on photo paper...yay.
Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mixxster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22765

Ok I called Fry Labs, they said they would provide a photo if they found it under the microscope, which I know is wishful thinking.

Has anyone else gotten a photo of their babesia?

Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lots of people have gotten the Fry smears (it's a photo they send you), but VERY VERY few have had babesia visible in the smear. I know of one or two people only, out of lots of people I've seen on here post their Fry results.

That is because, like I said, babesia infects so very few blood cells. You would have to have a picture of hundreds and hundreds of red blood cells to perhaps find one babesia parasite, and at that point, you are too "far away" to see the babesia.

The only people that have babesia show up on a picture like that are either very lucky, or very very infected with babesia. (Like, in the hospital, extreme fevers, shaking, might die).

In the Fry smear you will see other "bugs," but probably not babesia.

You can do the Quest test for babesia duncani, which will be covered by insurance. Or, the LabCorp test for babesia WA-1. Also insurance covered. Sonoma County Public Health Lab should be covered too.

People from Lymenet DO get positives from those labs.

If that doesn't work, I'd use Igenex or another out-of-pocket lab.

I had my babesia show up on insurance-covered labs, as well as the Igenex FISH, but it did not show up on my Fry smear.

Seibertneurolyme's husband once had babesia show up on his Fry smear. But that is the only one I can think of.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mixxster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22765

I've made my decision. From reading my Babesia books, Fry Labs just really underperforms on Babesia testing. I guess I won't get a photo. [Frown]

Igenex has the most comprehensive testing, and that's what my health deserves. My doc says my insurance should reimburse some of the cost afterwards.

Thanks for everyone's input. Getting Igenex tested for Babesia tomorrow.

Elaine G
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20735

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Elaine G     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fry sends a photo to your doctor about a month after the test. Then the doctor should give it to you.

I've often though about making copies of my photo, put them up on the wall and throw darts at them.

Posts: 671 | From Fort Myers, Florida | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hides1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hides1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you are making the right choice. I struggled for years with Lyme and treatment. Finally Dr. B foudn the Babesia in me through Igenex FSH test. With threatment the FSH test has turned negative but I still have the darn thing because even my Quest test IGM is positive- it ranges at anyone given time 1:1280 if I am off Mepron or 1:80 if I am on Mepron. Also Igenex can do a Babesia Duncani IGM/Igg test. The though Igenex was for Babesia Microti. I think I have both.

Anyway, I also felt I had to get a picture. Did the Fry tests- shelled out money and they didn't even find any Babesia in the slide photo - only hemobartonella. My Quest Babesia tests were even positive around then. SO if I were you I would just use Igenex and Quest a few times and if you have it should at some point come up.

Also you can called the CDC and go to infectious diseases and they will test your blood if need be for free. However, their tests stink and didn't even show it when I did have it. I told them how my insurance wouldn't cover Babesia treatment anymore and if they got a positive test on me that would help. Unfortunately Igenex is way better than the CDC- sad to say...

Posts: 238 | From Bethlehem, PA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mixxster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22765

Just did Babesia testing through Igenex. I hope the results provide me with some answers.
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mixxster,

It is all a big guessing game. You might luck out with the IGeneX testing or not.

Hubby is one of those who has photos from F lab which show babesia. The ring forms of the babesia went away after babesia treatment. He never had any antibodies show up on tests for babesia from IGeneX, MDL labs, Stoneybrook, Quest or LabCorp (forget which) and I think there were even a couple of other labs.

Have no idea which species of babesia hubby had. I do think we finally got rid of that infection after trying for over 3 years to treat it. But he was allergic to Mepron so his treatment was different than what most people use for babs.

If you have babs symptoms then definitely try meds to see if you have a clinical response. Most people will know if this infection is present based on response to specific babs treatment.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anthropisces
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15672

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anthropisces     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fry also tagged me with Hemobartonella. I seem to have Bartonella. The soles of my feet are classically painful, especially in the am now, although sometimes at other times during the day. What is the difference between hemobartonella and bartonella?

FSH test was positive for Babesia RNA. Also had air hunger which seems all gone since almost a year ago.

Posts: 152 | From West Palm Bech, FL | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
O2Btickfree2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for O2Btickfree2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay i just did some research i had it doen 13 years ago by bowen labs in fla . Dr. Lidia mattman was doing them. But from what i just read she passed away in 2008 and was shut down at one point by government. Sooo who knows but they did show neet pics. Cant remember is babs showed up or not in mine doc said i had mild form. Guess it cleared up later another doc treated it.

It did show spiroketes pushing in my cells. And my cells were glommed together. I do not know if
Bowen labs still do that floresent stuff or not.
Threw my pics away when i got better wish now i hadnt.

Posts: 112 | From Ohio | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snailhead
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snailhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Am I understanding this correctly? Are we saying here that it is rare to see Babesia in the Igenex FISH assay? Mine was positive, so just curious if I am one of the "lucky ones." Thanks.
Posts: 374 | From United States | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mixxster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22765

Just to clarify, I don't think anyone said the FISH test was rarely positive.

Dr. Schaller's Babesia Update 2009 (waste of $ BTW) says the Igenex FISH is probably one of the more reliable Babesia tests. My LLMD says he gets the most positives from the Igenex FISH test. I don't think anyone here was saying that its rare to get a positive Igenex FISH test.

But what we have said is rare is for Fry labs to be able to find babesia in the blood smear.

CherylSue
Member # 13077

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CherylSue     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Find a naturopath who does live blood microscopy. It will show up there on a video.
Posts: 1954 | From Illinois | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snailhead
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snailhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks mixxster....I lost something in translation. Glad to know the Igenex FISH assay is reliable.
Posts: 374 | From United States | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement