LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Foods to Help Heal

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Foods to Help Heal
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have been off antibiotics and herbs for over 1 month due to liver enzymes being elevated.

Have been doing the following:

- Drinking sea salt water. 1/4 tsp in 32 ounces 2x a day.

- Taking milk thistle
- Eating 1 garlic clove mixed in applesauce with freshly ground pumpkin seeds.
- Taking Probiotics
- Juicing vegetables and also drinking green drinks such as Barley-Max.
- Eating small meals.

Cannot take a lot of supplements at this time due to liver. Would like to know if there are foods, herbs, or spices that can be eaten or put in a juicer that will help heal liver or help destroy lyme/co-infections. For example, started to juice Dandelion leaves from Whole Foods since they help with the liver.

I would most welcome your comments as I really need help. Much thanks.

Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Yes, Dandelion leaves are great.

The vegetable juices (organic and fresh) offer the best place to begin. But these mongo sizes sold in juice bars are way too large. Small glasses throughout the day are best - and remember to add celery and cabbage to balance the sweetness in carrots. Ginger and a tart apple are great to give it a kick.

While some saw raw foods are where it's at, remember that it can be very hard for the liver to help the stomach digest a lot of raw veggies.

Slightly steaming veggie will help with digestion and this time of the year the body likes warm foods.

Moving on from there:

=================

http://oneearthherbs.squarespace.com/diseases/special-diets-for-illness.html

Special Diets for Illness (Tillotson)

. . .

At the link above, you will find detailed suggestions for each:

* Diet To Reduce Wind (Vata) - Strengthens the Nervous System

* Diet To Reduce Heat (Pitta) - Helps Reduce General Inflammation

* Diet To Reduce Dampness and Mucus (Kapha) - Removes Fluids, Mucus and Sticky Accumulations

* Diet To Reduce Wind & Dampness - Strengthens Nervous System & Reduces Accumulations

* Diet To Reduce Wind & Heat - Strengthens the Nerves and Reduces Inflammation

* Diet To Reduce Heat & Dampness - Diet For Reducing Inflammation, Fluid and Mucus

=================

www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02012/anti-inflammatory-diet

THE WELLNESS DIET: ANTI-INFLAMMATORY DIET BASICS (Weil)

========================

http://icmr.nic.in/ijmr/2006/august/0804.pdf

- 20 pages

THE REQUIREMENTS OF PROTEIN & AMINO ACID DURING ACUTE & CHRONIC INFECTION . . .

Anura V. Kurpad - Institute of Population Health & Clinical Research, Bangalore, India

129. Indian J Med Res 124, August 2006, pp 129-148. Review Article.

Excerpt: " . . . In general, the amount of EXTRA protein that would appear to be needed is of the order of 20-25 per cent of the recommended intake, for most infections. . . ."

- Full article at link (or google the title if it does not go through).

=====================

For the flavors of life, some good cookbooks you can find at Amazon or your local, independent book store:

The Cure is in the Kitchen

A Spoonful of Ginger

Any MOOSEWOOD cookbook

The Enchanted Broccoli Forest

various Mediterranean cookbooks

Remember all the spices of India (if too hot, take the flavors you like and adjust recipes.

Local natural foods stores often have someone on staff who can guide you with the use of garden herbs such as rosemary, thyme, etc.

Some of the cookbooks mentioned are vegetarian, however can be adapted if you want to include chicken, turkey or WILD salmon or other low-mercury fish. Avoid all farmed fish and google first for the mercury content for fish you are considering buying.

Many here find that some muscle meat or wild fish really helps their energy. I tried for a long time and just really need meat to feel better. I don't eat it at every meal, but at least once a day with legumes and eggs to round out protein requirements. Protein should be at every meal and with every snack, too.

Nuts are great for protein, too.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
djf2005
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 11449

Icon 1 posted      Profile for djf2005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oral glutithione will also aid in liver and overall detox.

perhaps a better milk thistle product that also has dandilion and other liver support all mixed in would help also.

--------------------
"Experience is not what happens to you; it is what you do with what happens to you."

[email protected]

Posts: 2269 | From Lansdowne, Pa | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
I love my rice cooker and steamer. It took forever to find one without any plastic and without teflon but this one is perfect for all my non-gluten whole grains - and it steams a whole meal on top. The lid is of glass.

====================

http://www.ultimate-weight-products.com/page/UN/PROD/rice/Q-MIR-ME8

RICE COOKER & STEAMER TRAY

Miracle Stainless Steel Rice Cooker ME-81

About $77.

* Inner rice cooking bowl is solid stainless steel 304 which is the equivalent of 18/8 stainless steel, and is removable for easy cleaning. Vegetable steamer tray is solid stainless steel 430 [with round steam holes].

* No "Teflon �" nor other non-stick surface is used.

* The "mirror finish" of the inner cooking bowl is the shiny surface of the stainless steel

When cooking rice, even if not adding food to the steamer tray, if you keep the veggie basket in at the top, the rice will not boil over.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MorningSong     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you much for the links and information.

The Milk thistle currently being taken has other supportive herbs in it for a total of 1200mg (with milk thistle). Cutting it in half trying to take 2x a day.

Juicing: Celery, very little carrots (due to thrush), red chard, tomatoes, garlic clove, green peppers, dandelion leaves.

Not wanting to eat a lot of meat due to yeast overgrowth (which I dont understand because I was on 2 Theralac a day during treatment). Getting protein from nuts and seeds.

Keebler- Thank you for the links. I will read through them.

I am doing all I know to do without being able to take abx or a lot of supplements. If anyone has any other comments, I welcome your input. I dont know what else to do.

Posts: 515 | From In His Loving Care | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am also juicing.... a lot of celery, a little carrot, apple and tomato. The celery is very good for us! I feel like the juicing is partly why I started improving.
Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sparrow
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sparrow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think artichokes are good for the liver.
Posts: 177 | From God's Grace | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I've not heard of avoiding meat if you have candida. Is it that your stomach hurts from yeast and it's harder to digest?

Veggies contain some protein, too, but I'm not sure veggies, with nuts and seeds can give you all the nutrients you need at this critical time. I hope you can read over that 20-page article on protein for those with chronic illness.

Be sure to supplement B-12 but also TAURINE as we get it mostly from meat and it's really an important amino acid. L-Carnitine, too, as carnitine comes mostly from muscle meats and helps us build muscle.

If you are avoiding meat due to a tender stomach, you might try stew. From grass-fed beef - stew meat - with onions and garlic, cooked so that it nearly falls apart.

You can stew chicken, too. While organic chicken is far too expensive for me, I find the free-range chicken (w/ no antibiotic or hormones) tastes a lot better than most and is easier to digest. By making a stew, the ratio of veggies is high and they can be added in the last minutes to maintain nutrients.

======

Olive leaf extract has worked exceedingly well for me to avoid candida totally when on abx (but the longest I've been on them was 2 months).

Allicin capsules, too.
-

MorningSong
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19989

Keebler,

Yes, you are right. My intestines hurt after eating meat. Also heard that it makes the liver have to work harder (not sure if this is true). Was trying garlic cloves for yeast since cannot due a lot of supplements.

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Yes, the liver does have to work harder to digest meats. Baked, broiled or grilled fish is easier to digest (just be sure it's WILD and on the low mercury list).

A good protein powder might be important but, still, there is nothing like real food. A good stew is about the only way meat works for me. If I don't get that I am so weak I can barely stand up. Even eggs don't give me the support I would hope for, although they are very nutritious. But one egg has just 6 grams of protein. We need 60 - 75 grams a day.

Some people find that digestive enzymes help in many ways.

Good luck with all this.
-

AnnaL
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18464

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AnnaL     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a longtime vegan, I can assure you that you can get all your nutrition needs met on a meat-free diet, if you choose.

If you are especially concerned about protein in particular, my husband LOVES this smoothie powder from Vega. It's free of corn, dairy, gluten, soy, wheat and yeast. We get it at iHerb because it's cheapest there, but I've also seen it Whole Foods and the like. (Link.)

Another wonderful (and often overlooked!) protien source is chia seeds. We buy Ruth's Chia Goodness, which contains chia, hemp, and buckwheat. It's packed with good fats (omega-3s) and protein and vitamins. Plus, it's really easy to make for breakfast.

-AnnaL

Posts: 398 | From By the Salish Sea | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
massman
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Belly hurts after eating meat may mean you are low in hydrochloric acid.
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement