LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » FYI: There's also a `stomach flu' going around

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: FYI: There's also a `stomach flu' going around
Truthfinder
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 8512

Icon 8 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's some kind of `stomach flu' going around with additional flu-like symptoms but it doesn't last long - usually only 2 or 3 days.

In all probability, this is something different than either H1N1 or the seasonal flu. In fact, if it's a `stomach flu', it isn't the flu at all.

quote:
Stomach flu is generic name of gastroenteritis. Gastroenteritis is the inflammation of the stomach, small and large intestines. Generally it is caused by certain types of bacteria [such as E. coli, Camphylobacter, Shigella, and Salmonella] or viruses or by some poisons that may irritate the stomach. It is often called `stomach flu' although it is not caused by the influenza viruses. Stomach flu generally goes away by itself within couple of days.

Here are a few symptoms of stomach flu [depending on what is causing it]:
* Persistent watery diarrhea
* Dehydration followed by weakness, decreased urination
* Nausea
* Vomiting
* Fever above 100 F
* Headache and/or lightheadedness
* Swollen abdomen
* Abdominal cramps
* Stomach ache
* Blood in vomit or stool
* Abdominal bloating
* Dry skin and dry mouth
* Lack of sweat and tears

More info can be found at:
http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/flu-guide/stomach-flu-not-influenza
http://www.ygoy.com/index.php/stomach-flu-symptoms/

`Stomach flu' can become serious, too, so be aware of that! The most important thing to guard against with vomiting and diarrhea is the possibility of dehydration.

So, looks like there are (at least) 3 different `bugs' to worry about this fall.

Note: The worst symptoms of two people I know who've had the `stomach flu' - one here and one clear across the country - have been GI issues, namely diarrhea and vomiting, gas pressure up in the chest area. It comes on quickly, often with profuse sweating; later there's the muscle and body aches and fatigue, other common flu symptoms. They both recovered in 2 to 4 days.

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Starfall1969
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Starfall1969     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My doctor's office said there's "always" a stomach bug going around; that's one thing that never takes a break.

Thanks for the heads up.

Posts: 1682 | From Dillsburg, PA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good point, Starfall.

I just don't want folks to think that if they get flu symptoms at all, then it must be either seasonal flu or H1N1. That seems to be a common misconception locally (here where I live).

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I think we have been blessed with both the swine and the stomach flu in the past two weeks. Twin 1 most likely had the swine flu (very high fever and cough) last week and twin 2 has been home with the stomach flu (vomiting for 24 hours and fever) this week.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One the the things that differentiates H1N1 from other flu's is that it CAN have nausea and vomiting. In fact, what I read said if you have the flu and are vomiting, you can be sure it's H1N1. I don't know how you would tell the difference between it and the 'stomach' flu except that maybe the 'stomach' flu probably won't last as long.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone told me that she heard there could be vomiting with H1N1, but it was my impression that in most cases this is not the case.

In our case, I am pretty sure that twin 2 has the stomach flu rather than the swine flu since he already had a confirmed case (with testing sent to the state) of H1N1 a couple of months ago.

I am certainly no expert but would guess that he would have some immunity to it so that he would not have gotten it from his brother, whom I suspect had it last week (was not tested but it presented exactly as his brother's case last summer with sudden very high fever and no vomiting).

Twin 2's stomach flu this week presented pretty much like the stomach flu that I am familiar with. Couldn't eat and vomited on and off for pretty much the first 24 hours, with the vomiting gradually become less often. The fever never got higher than 101.5. I kept him home today (the 3rd day) because he was tired, but his fever was gone and he could have gone to school.

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think `true flu' versus a stomach flu is much more debilitating - extreme weakness and fatigue - but I'm not sure that would always hold true, either.

One of the people I know who just got over the `stomach flu' had symptoms that more closely resembled food poisoning than a true flu, though he did have some mild body aches as he began recuperating. But overall, he really didn't feel all that bad - just couldn't get too far from the bathroom for about 24-36 hours.

The most-typical symptoms of (presumably) H1N1 have changed since last spring. I've read several comments about that from `professionals'. Back then, the high fever, extreme weakness, and profound body and back pains were predominant. But at this time, I'm not sure what we're looking at.

Presumably, immunity should follow recovery. I've read in several places that immunity to this `swine flu' should last a lifetime, but I find that odd since people who had the swine flu back in 1975-76 (like me) won't have any immunity to THIS swine flu. (I actually called and asked the CDC about this.)

I guess we develop immunity to individual strains, and if the virus mutates, then we get to enjoy developing immunity all over again.
[toilet]

--------------------
Tracy

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement