LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » living in the dark

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: living in the dark
lymewarrior03
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3891

Icon 9 posted      Profile for lymewarrior03   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi anyone out there have such bad migraines and light sensitivity that they have to live in the dark?
Posts: 661 | From NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do Warrior. Not everyday, but about 1 1/2 -2 weeks per month. How long have you been having the migraines? Have you found that no medicine seems to help?

Feelfit

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymewarrior03
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymewarrior03   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have had them for 5 years-only help from DHE but it only helps for a day or so-I am now disabled and have to stay in the dark
Posts: 661 | From NY | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So sorry. What is DHE?
Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Warrior,

I read the title of your post, and I said to myself, "Oh G-d!"

I had to live in the dark for most of a year. We blacked out the windows in our bedroom and bathroom with black bristol board.

I was in such excruciating neuropathic pain at the time - burning pain from head to toe and pain behind my eyes with grit feeling as well.

When I would expose my skin to the light, on top of the intense burning pain I would experience muscle pain. By the end of the day, I felt like I'd been physically beaten.

I walked around dressed like a mummy.

I was having seizures that were undiagnosed at the time. Spasticity on top of all this - in particular when the temp in the house would hit 68F, I would start to cramp.

I remember thinking I've looked down the pipe well of hell, and I don't need to see any further - I can surmise.

What helped? Lyme treatment. Lyrica for burning pain and partial seizures, and eventually Lamictal for seizures.

Perhaps your doctor would be able to try other symptom management medications until you find one that helps - while you are recovering, you can experience some better quality of life.

If your LLMD hasn't seen and resolved the symptoms you're experiencing in other patients, then my suggestion to you is to call around other LLMDs (you can discuss the choice with others in the, "Finding a Doctor" forum) and ask the receptionist to ask the doctor whether s/he has:

1. Seen this constallation of symptoms previously

2. Was able to resolve it for that patient.

This is what I did, and I have a somewhat reasonable amount of life now.

And in the meanwhile, solidarity and cool wishes to you.

BTW, I spent a considerable amount of time in contemplation of the Vampire:

1. Bit by a bat (infectious disease)
2. Has to stay in the absolute dark or is in danger of dying.

[kiss] [group hug]

--------------------
For medical advice related to Lyme disease, please see an ILADS physician.

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
For me: 40 and 60 watt light bulbs are very nice - good lamp shades where there is no shine through. Fluorescents are out.

I love cloudy days. Simply love them.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Icon 1 posted      Profile for canbravelyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that you mention lightbulbs - I use half-silvers (Google "half-silver lightbulbs).

The top 1/2 of the bulb has a mirrored surface, so that light from the filament bounces back onto the ceiling (if the bulb is facing down) for indirect light.

I think I'm using 40W or 60W as well.

Best Wishes,

--------------------

Posts: 1494 | From Getting there... | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sutherngrl
Member # 16270

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sutherngrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This happens to me about once or twice a month. Mainly at night when I am really tired. It hits all of a sudden and once it does I cannot look at the tv or any lights.

I have a headache with it, but usually not severe as you expect from a migraine. But the eyes hurt horribly.

I tried some very expensive migraine medication, 27 dollars a pill, but discovered it didn't work. So technically I don't know if this is a migraine or just a lyme symptom.

Posts: 4035 | From Mississippi | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bettyg
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i don't have the headaches, but must be as dark as i can get it in my home.

member, brenda's HS daughter, has headaches/lights really bad. she has to travel UNDER BLANKETS so no light gets in during 14-15 hr. roundtrips to llmd!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dguy
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 8979

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dguy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to get headaches from light exposure too. It's one of the symptoms of hypervitaminosis D. Cutting my dietary vitamin D intake has helped.
Posts: 727 | From USA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
canbravelyme
Member # 9785

Quitting Vitamin D helped me as well.

--------------------

lymewarrior03
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 3891

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lymewarrior03   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the information and responses! it is an awful way to live. DHE is migrainol.

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement