LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » INTENSE nocturnal scalp itching.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: INTENSE nocturnal scalp itching.....
pugs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20954

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pugs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I awoke last night overheated from my blankets...and I began to experience terrible scalp itching...no kidding. It was so INTENSE!!

Couldn't fall back to sleep. This morning my scalp is still itching and my body feels very itchy too. More like internal itching. No hives (yet).

Took a probiotic before I went to bed last night. could it be yeast? or am I developing a reaction to my Antibiotics?? Has an ybody gone through this?

Help!

Posts: 255 | From - | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This will sound CRAZY. We used to live out in the country and my kids would bring lice home from school. I never got it myself, but I spent many hours combing it out of their hair (boy was I glad to move!). When I was done, hubby would comb my hair to be sure I got none.

Well, when I was ART tested, guess what showed up? Yes, lice was a blockage for me! I treated with a homeopathic preparation for bug bites, but honestly need to do more because I still get an itchy scalp at times. I don't know if this is your problem, I just relay the story to show that sometimes it's not Lyme and sometimes it's difficult to pinpoint the cause.

In answer to your question, yes, my scalp itching has driven me crazy.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i'm always digging and scratching at my scalp. sometimes i get teeny little red hard things and sometimes i get blood.

i had my mom look at my head once and she said it was just looked really irritated.

head and shoulders shampoo or a dandruff seems to help a lot.

but yep, drives mecrazy too.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pugs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20954

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pugs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, I also thought of lice...but how would I get it? (ie: no kids). Been to many doctors' visits, maybe jacket to jacket? [Smile]

randibear, I also have those red bumps. Maybe I'll try switching shampoos too. I'll have someone check for lice. Thanks for trying to unravel this mystery for me, it's driving me nuts!

Posts: 255 | From - | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pugs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20954

sixgoofykids, does lice affect your whole scalp or just the hairline?
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine wasn't a lice infestation or a recent exposure. I hadn't been near lice for a few years!!! For some reason, the exposure to the lice was still a blockage for me, apparently I was bitten when I combed my kids' hair even though I myself never had it. So, when I was checked for it, I saw none.

It just shows how complicated it gets when our immune systems are lowered so much, we get everything, and don't fight off much. Whatever the lice leave behind when they bite was still in my system.

--------------------

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

My itching is mainly the hair line. My kids' lice infestations were the whole scalp ... you could see bites near their ears in their hairline.

--------------------

pugs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20954

Oh now I understand what you mean..sorry, dense. Your story is interesting. Thanks.
randibear
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mine is all over, but worse on sides and top.

i have very thick hair adn shampoo every other day.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bncrump
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20374

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bncrump     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have someone check your hair for lice, they should be easy to see or their eggs at least.

Add some tea tree oil to your shampoo, that should help with the itching. I have intense itching sometimes as well...comes and goes seasonally and have had it for years. I guess now I know it's Lyme related.

If you have lice, I can give you some tips...just PM me. It's a NIGHTMARE to get rid of.

Good luck!

Posts: 114 | From Atlanta, GA | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The way some docs check for chronic Lyme is to look at the back of the head... just above the neck area.

Often there is a red rash there. It can be very itchy at times. VERY itchy.

During a herx, too, can bring this symptom out.

It looks like a red EM rash... and one theory is it could be a die off reaction to keets.

I have no way to relieve the itching when it occurs... and interesting to note.... pugs....

I also usually wake up at night, overheated and it is at it's worst.

Hope that helps.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my most annoying YEAST symptoms is scalp itching!!!!!!

Remember, probiotics do not KILL yeast. They help prevent it .. IF you're on a good one.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/Forum1/HTML/021412.html

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pugs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20954

Thank you for all your tips guys. Great information. I will have someone check my hair..but those buggers must be very tiny. Lymetoo, your past post mentions a lot of things..I'm interested especially in the garlic pills. Don't know what kind to start using.

Lymetoo, I also notice the candida post from 2003..have you improved substantially since then?

Aaargh this is so frustrating! I might also ask for a Diflucan script. I can feel the itching returning,, I'm dreading another night of this???

O2Btickfree2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 9742

Icon 1 posted      Profile for O2Btickfree2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For months i had itchy scalp in the back part of it. I thought it was my shampoo i changed twice. I take a hot shower. Since i have been on treatment it comes and goes but for the most part has been gone.
Posts: 112 | From Ohio | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
pugs.. I've been off abx since 2004. The yeast still gets the better of me if I don't watch my diet. Wish it weren't so.

Candex contains plenty of garlic. Then there's Allicin, available online and probably elsewhere.

www.vitacost.com is a good inexpensive source of vitamins and supplements.

If you tried the Diflucan.. you'd know within a day or two if this was from yeast.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One of my first symptoms was a strange sensation on my scalp at the crown of my head (way before I knew I had Lyme). After going to 20 different doctors for different ailments, I briefly mentioned to one doctor that I had a strange sensation on my scalp. She said hmmmm that makes me think of Lyme disease. I went to the internet, looked up Lyme, saw the bite and the bug and knew that was what I had. I had been bitten 1 1/2 years earlier. I thought I had been bitten by a poisenous spider.

All this to say, that yes I have had irritation on my scalp, not necessarily itchy. It turned out that there was also a rash. I thought that it resembled RMSF. I recently got a positive test back for RMSF.

It flares when I am on certain antibiotics.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may be Morgellons also. But Lymies are documented to attract all kinds of lice. It could also be filaria worms. A dousing of vinegar may help.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

I would sure hope it's not Morgellons.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

pugs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20954

OMG!! Doesn't Morgellons mean "delusional parasitosis" or something like that? My scalp itching is very real.

How do you use vinegar? Directly on your scalp??

Wonder if it's a kind of neuropathy except on the scalp? Maybe made worse by antibiotics? Sooo weird many of us have this symptom yet the MD's don't believe us??

Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lymetoo:
I would sure hope it's not Morgellons.

My daughter and I both have Morgellons. The fear

is not knowing for sure what it is. The reality

is the preliminary studies say it is some type of

fungus. The reality is that they are finding it

only in Lyme, HIV, and Cancer treatment

patients. And like Lyme if you don't look you

ain't got it. I personally feel like the sooner

everyone looks the sooner we will have more

people working on it. Only one lab right now. No

money for only 14,000 reported cases. Now if

those 200,000+ cases were to look!

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
pugs,

Morgellons does NOT mean "delusional parasitosis" - that is just the name most doctors give it, the doctors who are ignorant about this very real condition/infection.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pugs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20954

My diet hasn't been the greatest and with this illness I'm under constant stress, it wouldn't surprise me if it were fungus, I also have other symptoms of that i think.

What is the treatment Pinelady, i really appreciated your input, as if this illness isn't scary enough.

Keebler
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Yes, it could be any sort of fungus, etc. However, in answer to your question about Morgellons:

Your LLMD should be consulted. Many LLMDs know what to do. If yours does not, ask for a referral to one who can assess you. You can also read more here:

----------------------

http://www.morgellons.org/

The Morgellons Research Foundation (MRF)
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
I do not have morgellons but have had a lot of trouble with my scalp. Be sure to toss any shampoo that contain sodium laurel sulfate, artificial dyes or petroleum products.

Also avoid all shampoos and body soaps that contain milk products. That can cause intense itching if fungus is around.

In addition to taking andrographis as my key antimicrobial agent, this shampoo has worked very well for my scalp:

http://www.vitacost.com/Avalon-Organics-Rosemary-Volumizing-Shampoo

Avalon Organics ROSEMARY Shampoo

--

Note: caution for those with celiac as it contains wheat protein. In most other shampoos, wheat protein has caused my scalp to itch more. I do have celiac, but I do great with this shampoo. Not all celiacs might, however.

This has a very strong rosemary aroma. Some with MCS may be bothered. I have MCS and am not crazy about the smell, but it does not knock me out like artificial scents. This is the best scalp shampoo I have ever used - and I've tried them all.
-

pugs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20954

Thanks Keebler for all your hard work. I'll definitely look at the websites you mention. Just got a call from my PCP that I have an appointment with a dermatologist. Is that the right doctor to see about this?
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
A dermatologist ? Sorry, but NO WAY! (Unless you are going just to see if lice are involved. They can do that assessment.)

Seeing a typical dermatologist is about the same as seeing a typical ID doctor for lyme.

Unless the dermatologist is lyme literate, if you were to even mention morgellons, a dermatologist would laugh you out of the office. This is an area were the ones who know are in the ILADS's area of knowledge.

Most dermatologists will give you steroid cream. That is not allowed for lyme patients.

Now, you most likely don't have morgellons (or it could be). It could be some sort of fungus - or it could be other things. But only someone knowledgeable about lyme and all the manifestations would be able to give you the best advice.

You need someone who will understand your lyme treatment.

Talk to your LLMD. Get a referral to a LL dermatologist.
-

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
Also switch to a natural laundry detergent and avoid fabric softeners. Biokleen or Seven Generations are good brands. Planet is okay, too.

Change your pillow case every night.

Don't use any hair products other than natural shampoo (or maybe coconut oil conditioner treatments with a shower cap).

Do you color treat your hair? Perm or straighten - or otherwise use chemicals on it?
-

Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dermatologist told me that it was a type of neuropathy sort of like shingles.

I personally think mine is related to RMSF just based on my own personal experience. I tried to find the cause of this symptom for over a year and I think I found it.

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Pugs could you PM me if you find out what is causing your scalp issues?

Thanks

Keebler
Member # 12673

-
For everyone taking antibiotics, in addition to probiotics, Olive Leaf extract may be helpful for addressing the candida infections that can become systemic (and even affect the scalp).

When I was on abx, probiotics were not enough for me but adding Olive Leaf Extract kept candida away totally. Sugar still needs to be avoided, as well as any products containing vinegar, but the OLE really worked for me.
-

pugs
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20954

I didn't think you could do OLE with Antibiotics. Yuck the burp from it was terrible, I couldn't tolerate OLD but I hear it is very helpful, gld to see it helped you Keebler.

Haley, I'd be happy to PM you but if my dense brain forgets maybe I'll post???

gridmonster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gridmonster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've had good results with Sarna lotion. It is cooling and soothing.
Posts: 135 | From Orlando, Florida | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Member # 12673

-
OLE is fine with abx. Just maybe take at a different time. And probiotics away from abx and OLE. Many LLMDs recommend OLE as a supplement.

--
gridmonster,

I looked up Sarna lotion at Amazon. Lots of happy campers about that.
-

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Did you get some Diflucan yet?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
scalp itching was one of my 3 year old daughter's first symptoms. I would notice it when she first woke up. Sometimes she would scream b/c the itching was so bad, but then it would stop a little later.

Soon after starting abx treatment, the itching went away. I do not think in her case it was yeast since she hadn't started abx yet, and it stopped soon after taking them.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement