LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Raynauds VERY Painful Today

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Raynauds VERY Painful Today
Gert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can any of you please share with me what has helped you with your painful Raynauds? I was put on a calcium channel blocker but all it did was give me a raging headache and not one thing for my painful, freezing cold, tingly hands and feet.
Posts: 261 | From NW Pa ~ Crawford County | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I found out accidentally that taking Cortef for my adrenal issues actually helped with the Raynaud's.

This makes sense because it is a very low dose of steroids.

You might also try any anti-inflammatories you can think of like:

prescriptions such as Celebrex

tumeric

mangosteen

aleve

aspirin

??

Is it cold there today?

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks for the reply back......no its not cold here today and this is what concerns me. I've had this since my LD symptoms got really bad around 2003. It has gotten progressively worse and my LLMD feels it is definitely related to having LD.

I generally wear 2-3 pair of socks and heavy slippers around the house in the winter months but never this early in the year.

The bottoms of my toes are so sore.....like there is a huge blister on them but nothing is there. I know its going to be a continued problem until I get his under control, if that is even possible.

I will discuss these options with my doctor....thanks Lymetutu

Posts: 261 | From NW Pa ~ Crawford County | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nitroglycerin cream for the feet was given to my friend for her Reynauds. This was a podiatrist who rx'ed it. She had the lesions and everything on her toes and the cream cleared the lesions and pain.

FF

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry this is happening.

I found out, the hard way.. that the Reynaud's was connected to what became the ACA presentation of Lyme.

It seems a penicillin based antibiotic helps with the ACA more so than do others.

I have NO clue if this will help.. just something to consider.

My Reynaud's has lessened while on penicillin.

Hope it calms down for you!

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13584

Ok, I will look into the nitro cream too and Tincup, what is ACA?

I have to share.....I saw a podiatrist this spring at the urging of my LLMD. The podiatrist was not comfortable treating my Raynauds so he referred me to a Vascular Surgeon. Vascular Surgeon determined I was not a candidate for surgery so he put me on a calcium channel blocker and referred me to a Rheumatologist (CRINGE, CRINGE, CRINGE).

Being very hesitant about that I decided to just go and see what he has to say about the Raynauds. I got the lecture of LD and how there is no such thing in NW Penna and no such thing as chronic and blah, blah, blah and then he told me I had frostbite on my toes.

MIND you, the man never once looked at my feet to give me that diagnosis. I was so insulted I jumped up and gave him a real lecture of my own and stormed out of his office.

So here I am still in a lot of pain and still no answers.......talk about passing the Duck Buck, eh? Idiots.

Tincup
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gert said.. "So here I am still in a lot of pain and still no answers.......talk about passing the Duck Buck, eh? Idiots."

You made me laugh!

People sometimes come here chewing me out and chewing out others .... because we refer to the ducks as ducks... and call them IDiots.

When I see things like your horrible experience.. especially over and over again...

It's a wonder we don't call them worse.

[lol]

Sorry you had to go through that degrading and outrageous time with the ducks. Shame on them.

ACA- Acrodermatitis Chronica Atrophicans is a skin condition that occurs in chronic/late Lyme disease.

See this LymeNet post...

http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/1/80404?

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13584

Tincup, thanks for that link....I don't get here to LN as often as I would like and I think I miss a lot of good information but thanks to you and many others who continue to help us.

Looks like a good long intense read but I will get to it as soon as I can.

Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UGH!! I feel for you, Gert! I don't have it in my feet....yet. I do have some pain in my feet sometimes that makes me think it's neuropathy though. My feet are cold all the time like my hands, but not too bad.

If I handle frozen foods I'm a gonner for hours. Sometimes I can get away with it though.

Yesterday I was cold all day and my hands were bothering me. Today is better!

Hope you find something that works!!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pocono Lyme
Member # 5939

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pocono Lyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Niacin works really well for my husband.
Very inexpensive too.

--------------------
2 Corinthians 12:9-11

9 But he said to me, �My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.� Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ�s power may rest on me.

Posts: 1445 | From Poconos, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
terri3boys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terri3boys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My neurologist did lots of tests on me, not specifically for the Raynauds, but it was definitely part of the puzzle.

Anyway, when she finally did a nerve biopsy on my left leg in 3 places, she was able to confirm what she thought was causing me peripheral neuropathy, Raynauds, etc.

She sent the biopsies to the Cleveland Clinic and they dx'd me with Small Fiber Neuropathy. I'm not sure what the tx is, but I go see her in early Nov. to discuss tx options. She talked with me on the phone briefly about it, saying we would need to treat for 1 - 2 years, but we would only be treating the sx. She said currently there wasn't a "cure" for the Small Fiber Neuropathy. I'm looking forward to my next appt. with her.

I'm not saying you need to take it so far with the tests, but we were testing for lots of things and this is one thing that was confirmed. Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth..........

Good luck,
terri3boys

Posts: 268 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13584

Thanks again for all your replies....there seems to be some further research on my part.

My one great toe now has itchy/sore bumps on it....not looking good.

Tincup
Member # 5829

Gert said..

"My one great toe now has itchy/sore bumps on it.."

JUST in time for Halloween!

[lol]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Gert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13584

OH BOY [woohoo]
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
gert,

The ointment is called Nitro-bid (nitroglycerin Ointment USP, 2%). It immediately makes her toes and finger tips warm with good blood flow.

Her doctor is not just any poidatrist, but has extensive hospital expereince in diabetic foot care etc. He is on staff at two area hospitals. It may be something to look in to.

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Her raynauds causes '0' problems when she uses the cream.
Gert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13584

Thanks once again....My feet are still very painful and I have to wonder if the Levaquin isn't releasing Bart and causing them to flare up!!

Going to research some foot doctors!

Gert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13584

I'm so bummed ~ last night my right fingers turned completely white and were icy cold. My husband could not believe it because I had gloves on most of the afternoon and they still turned this color.

This is the first time where my hands have been totally affected by this Raynauds.

Does anyone know if there are gloves I can wear daily in the house? The ones I currently wear are too fluffy. I need something more form fitting that can keep my hands warm during the day [Frown]

sammy
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 13952

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sammy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gert, if your hands are small, look for some kids fleece gloves. They are warmer than regular cotton stretchy ones but not bulky like snow gloves.

I've also observed that kids gloves and socks are cheaper than womens.

Posts: 5237 | From here | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement