LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Roxythromycin

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Roxythromycin
Beautiful Disaster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beautiful Disaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard a few good things about this drug. I can order it online. I think I want to try it. Who here has tried it?

I really want to go with this one, can anyone suggest what else to take with it? Doxycycline? Zith? I'm clueless. Sorry for the questions but I really need to get this done. I'm ready to fight back. No more sitting duck for me.

I have a lot of Lyme books but never opened them, as I said in another post. It's hard for me to concentrate, Lyme brain I guess. It's really hard.

Here is the website again that tells you all the abx they sell, what they usually treat, and how many they have.

4RX

Anyway, any opinions on the Roxy? What about what to take with it?

--------------------
---Beautiful Disaster---
IgeneX WB: IgM: 18+, 31+, 41+, 58+, IgG: 31++, 39 IND, 41++, 31kda Epitope Test: Positive
Labcorp: IgM: 23+, 41+
No LLMD due to money since Sept 2008. Was on Doxy, I.V. Rocephin (30 days), Flagyl. Also dx with Bartonella.

Posts: 139 | From United States, East Coast-ish | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beautiful Disaster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21882

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beautiful Disaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read it, kind of confusing.

Does anyone know anything about this particular drug?

I didn't see it in the info in the link?

--------------------
---Beautiful Disaster---
IgeneX WB: IgM: 18+, 31+, 41+, 58+, IgG: 31++, 39 IND, 41++, 31kda Epitope Test: Positive
No LLMD due to money since Sept 2008. Was on Doxy, I.V. Rocephin (30 days), Flagyl. Also dx with Bartonella.

Posts: 139 | From United States, East Coast-ish | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
karenlc
Member # 13377

Icon 1 posted      Profile for karenlc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I took Roxythromycin back in 2006. After years of being on zithro, bicillin shots and the list goes on and on Roxy finally got me functioning again. I have boxes of it left over but unfortunately they have expired. I am back in treatment either from a relapse or more tick bites. In 2006 my LLMD gave me a script and I received it from Australia. Back then it costs me a lot of money. Karen
Posts: 17 | From woolwich twp nj | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Taking it with Bactrim DS is a popular combination. It is called the Gasser protocol and is used in Europe with success.

Don't combine it with Zithromax, they do the same thing.

You could perhaps combine it with Doxy, if Doxy normally works for you. But if not, I would do it with Amoxicillin or Ceftin, to hit multiple forms of Lyme.

Do a search on this site for "Roxithromycin" and see what other people took it with.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hoosiers51
Member # 15759

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hoosiers51     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Roxy is similar to Zithromax and Biaxin.

None of those three should be taken with Levaquin, or it's cousins, Cipro and Factive.

So keep that in mind.

Posts: 4590 | From Midwest | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kadee
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21199

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kadee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's another thread about Roxy.
Posts: 269 | From Germany | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beautiful Disaster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21882

Ok, this is very helpful....I'll start reading.

--------------------
---Beautiful Disaster---

psano2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11711

Icon 1 posted      Profile for psano2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I get my Roxy from www.sundrugstore.com

It's a little less expensive there( about 1/2 the cost, actually). You need to pay extra for the express shipping, otherwise it takes a very long time to get to you.

Roxy has helped me a lot. 150mg twice daily didn't help. 300mg twice daily helped. 450mg twice daily has helped even more.

I'm not sure what we're supposed to see in the Lyme conference notes, Carol in PA. I didn't see anything specifically referring to roxy there. Or was the idea just to show what the currently preferred regimens are according to those presenting at the conference?

From what I understand, roxy is not legal here and probably will never be because it was used in Europe for such a long time before applying for use here that by the time they got around to applying to the FDA for approval, it was off patent, so there was no financial benefit to Hoescht Roussel to spend the money on submitting the studies necessary to get approval from the FDA. That's what I read somewhere, but that could be wrong.

Posts: 975 | From California | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FunkOdyssey
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15855

Icon 1 posted      Profile for FunkOdyssey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You could always use doxycycline AND roxithromycin AND tinidazole...
Posts: 195 | From Manchester, CT | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MariaA
Member # 9128

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MariaA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read a bit about the roxithromycin FDA issue tonight. It went something like this:

The French manufacturer of the drug began to apply for FDA approval of Roxithromycin for one specific illness (I can't recall which one), I think this was in the late 80's (??).
The FDA requires animal studies as the first step of that process.
The manufacturer withdrew the application as there aren't animal models that work well as a model of what happens in humans. (and I'm guessing there wasn't a lot of money to be made on this drug's applications at the time)

I'm guessing the animal model problem is related to an important problem to know about when reading roxithromycin-related literature- rat studies do not show the same good brain penetration that we know of from human trials.

We have human data on this topic because a bunch of wonderful people who were about to undergo brain surgery for reasons not requiring roxithromycin, participated in a trial where they were given roxithromycin beforehand, so that the brain tissue concentrations could be studied when they underwent the brain surgery.

--------------------
Symptom Free!!! Thank you all!!!!

Find me at Lymefriends, I post under the same name.
diet: http://lymefriends.ning.com/group/healthylowcarbrecipes
Homemade Probiotics thread
Herbal Links Thread

Posts: 2552 | From San Francisco | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement