LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Dental work and start of symptoms?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dental work and start of symptoms?
lightparfait
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Curious if anyone notices a direct corelation between getting root canals, implants, fillings, crowns or extractions with the beginning of health issues and cognitive decline?

I have experienced this and would love to hear from others. I did not understand the connection at the time, and that was the start of my many visits to MD's for odd ailments that progressed over time, before my lyme diagnosis and treatment.

Any similar stories?

Thanks, LP

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MDW005
Member # 22706

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MDW005     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a root canal 4 years ago, I started having

health issues such as fatique, stiff neck, swelling

in sinus cavities. My root canal kept getting infected.

The list has gone on since then. At first when I was

trying to figure out what was wrong with me this year,

Iwent back to the tooth thinking Iwas alergic to

the post. needless to say, I had it taken out a

month ago. I think the two are connected. I have seen

twenty dr.s this year befor I found llmd.

--------------------
God's promises mean you always have something wonderful to look forward to.

Posts: 2150 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ocean
Member # 3496

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ocean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LP,

Yes, I relapsed in 2003 after getting some fillings. I didn't know I had Lyme, thought I was relapsing with the Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

I have a bunch of fillings I need now (that scared me and didn't see a dentist for a long time), my wisdom teeth need removed as well as a failed root canal and I am scared to death of getting very sick.

Anyone have anything that can prevent getting really sick???

Thanks,
Ocean

--------------------
http://www.healingfromlymedisease.blogspot.com/

Sick since 1996...Diagnosed 10/2008

IgM:23-25 IND, 31+++, 39 IND, 41 +++
IgG: 31 IND, 41++, 58+

Posts: 1623 | From Ohio | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gert
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13584

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I look back over the years my symptoms have always been there as a little girl BUT the day I had severe tooth pain in one of my teeth, I could not take it anymore and saw my dentist ~ this was 1995

He determined I needed a root canal but xrays never showed an infection or anything that would cause the pain but the pain was unbearable so I bit the bullet and had a root canal. Pain was still there and he determined I had to have the tooth behind it done too.........NO FREAKING WAY.

The same day of the root canal, I broke out in hives and bullseyes the size of dinner plates all over my body. I was in a lot of pain and very sick with a lot of symptoms like sore throat, stiff neck, stiff knees, sore swollen hands, red itchy eyes....There was a lot going on.

That was the beginning of my journey on to where I am today.

I did eventually have the other root canal done because the pain was still there and I had thought the dentist did the wrong tooth. The pain finally subsided after taking a lot of ABX.

So I had root canals done on 2 healthy teeth that probably were aching from the Lyme bacteria I had running rampant in my body.

To this day, both of those teeth still ache when I am flaring up. Also I find that when my gut is out out sorts and not healthy, those same teeth swell around the crowns and ache horribly bad.

Posts: 261 | From NW Pa ~ Crawford County | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YES, YES,

I had sooooo much dental work right around the time I became very ill (before I knew I had Lyme). When my journey began of going from one doctor to the next, I always thought, what happened before I got ill. One of those things was tons of dental work, crowns, retreatments of root canals, new root canals.

Why do you ask this question? Is it common for people with Lyme to get ill after dental work?

Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks all...

Haley, my journey with lyme has come full circle now, kind of back to the beginning of my diagnosis. I do not think we only have lyme but have other unidentified conditions...bacteria/viruses/heavy metals/parasites lurking in our bodies, waiting for the opportunity to change the terrain...and allow various chronic illness to take hold.

With my originaly lyme diagnosis...I started to feel better with treatment and believed that all things I experienced came from lyme as the source...I now know better. Lyme is part of the equation for many...but lyme is not the source.

I am now lyme free...but not all symptoms free.
Not to go into major detail here, but I believe I did have lyme, but before lyme I had mercury amalgam illness...from too many amalgam fillings.

These broken teeth, where I actually swallowed much of the broken mercury fillings... led to many crowns and eventual root canals...

when I go back mentally to those times of my teeth problems, I can remember major illness setting in, and other neurological issues..like depression, and trouble thinking and recall. Things hapened gradually over a long period of time.

Cannot say without a shadow of a doubt it was related to the dental work...but it is becoming clearer each day to me that I have poisoned myself with this dental work, as well as have passed the mercury to my children. My children test positive for mercury and have no amalgams or never played with mercury!

This has set the stage I believe for lyme to be the tipping point for me to just have too much load on my immune system...

I think also there is a link to children with autism/and alzheimers disease related to heavy metals that are either passed congenitally from mother to child unknowingly, or dental work in the elderly! WE have all of these conditions in my immediate family and I am monitoring their situations regularly, and I see a connection.

Just appreciate everyone's candid responses.

I feel that we need more research on this subject.

Dr. K speaks about this in his most recent lyme and chronic disease guidelines that were posted on a previous thread.

[URL=http://www.klinghardtneurobiology.com/lymeprotocoloct09.pdf]

[ 10-30-2009, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: lightparfait ]

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm curious why (or even if) people feel their problems are the result of the dental work rather than the dental disease that necessitated the dental work. ???

Or is it that the dental work "stirred up trouble" that was brewing beneath the surface ???

Or is it that those who are immunocompromised are more severely affected by both of the above ???

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bigstan
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 11699

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigstan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey please see yesterdays post on dental problems, and what I'm going through.

http://flash.lymenet.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/1/87264

KA

--------------------
HERX is a Four Letter Word!

Posts: 716 | From If you're going through hell, keep going......Winston Churchill | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stymielymie
Member # 10044

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stymielymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dental patients with lyme should get premedicated with clydamycin 150mg tid 3 days before appointment and 5 days after.
this will prevent a lot of herxing and relapsing problems.
the mouth is the only non-sterile part of the body that comes in contact with the body.
it is filled with normal flora, ie bacteria,viruses,yeast
and enzymes to help dissolve food.

these must be kept at bay to prevent problems
docdave

Posts: 1820 | From Boone and Southport, NC | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aMomWithHope
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19255

Icon 1 posted      Profile for aMomWithHope     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is the clindamycin needed in addition to other abx already on or is zith, mino, rifampin, and plaquenil enough to keep problems at bay?
Posts: 648 | From northeast | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Member # 22022

Carly,
I think you are right as well, as previous dental disease comes from another root cause.

But for me, I had over 60 fillings of mercury as a child...from eating candy and not brushing my teeth!

My disease/cavaties was from poor hygiene, hence all the amalgams. Had many in each tooth and between teeth.

Started having problems in my youth...around age 12. When I had my dental work done. I was an extremely bright child...that just one day had trouble remembering things like my times tables. One day I could and the next day I had no recall. Like someone turned off the lights! Then became depressed for no reason. I remember being unable to express this well to my parents, who saw my change. They just thought I was not trying anymore and could not understand why one day I could know each state capital and the next day none.

Had my first crowns in my 20's...from the break down of those specific teeth. ..and my wisdom teeth removed then too. NO gum disease...just cracked teeth loaded with mercury.

Immune system started to become wacky...
Thyroiditus...sulfate sensitive.....could not drink wine....developed allergies to foods and environment and chemical sensitivites...would get bronchitis every few months, sun sensitivity and odd rashes like excema. The list goes on and on..over time.

Lyme came later. Getting lyme saved my life, as I learned how to get treated and started to put it all together. I am still learning how to heal my immune system. I am working on layers, and now the metal layer is revealing itself.

I am fascinated by how many others experience the dental work's impact on their own immune system as well. Would love researchers to look into this.

IF this is a true connection, this could help many avoid chronic illness...as my experience leads me to think that the metals in my mouth are my last block for natural immune function.

sonee123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonee123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow,

I never thought anyone would share my experience.

Exact same thing happened to me! I got my braces at the age of twenty and i always had minor symptoms in my teenage years like ringing in the ears, floaters, tremors, etc. Never took it serious always blamed genes.

It was not until i got braces and few months late i started have very severe neuro symptoms. I didn't know how to explain, jerking, shaking, crawling in head, flu like symptoms, dizziness, etc you name. Then it went away after few months.

Then it was not until august 2008 i got my wisdom extracted and took abx for a week. A month later i woke up with my worst nightmare and it has not gone away today. I am so sick with neuro symptoms, joint clicking, flu like symptoms, major GI issues and i mean major to a point ive lost 20lbs in 4 months! and it is not going away! I just don't know what dental work has to do with my whole body??!!!

--------------------
May God Bless you, answer your prayers, relieve you of your pain and make you stronger than what you are today. Ameen.

Posts: 341 | From Columbia, MD | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
carly
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14810

Icon 1 posted      Profile for carly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

I am fascinated by how many others experience the dental work's impact on their own immune system as well. Would love researchers to look into this.

Me too. I'm "fascinated" by the connection. (good word.) I don't think it's as simple as it's often made out to be.

I know the idea of chronic inflammatory disease and its implications in dentistry are currently being studied and explored.

There was recently a seminar on the subject that I really wanted to attend, but I missed it that day. (It did not address mercury/metals). If you are interested, I'll pm you with info regarding any seminars I hear about in the future.

Who knows what the next 50 or 100 years will bring us in terms of common knowledge about these subjects.

Cocaine was used as an anesthetic just before the turn of the century, when they realized it was addictive. Local anesthesia is only a little over 100 years old!

quote:

IF this is a true connection, this could help many avoid chronic illness...

I wonder... ?
Maybe help control the severity ?

(Am I a cynic?) [Wink]

------------------------------------------

MOM:
quote:

Is the clindamycin needed in addition to other abx already on or is zith, mino, rifampin, and plaquenil enough to keep problems at bay?

YES.
-------------------------------------------

Sonee:
quote:

I just don't know what dental work has to do with my whole body??!!!

It is, unfortunately, a not uncommon misconception that the teeth are separate from the rest of the body; that dentistry is separate from medicine.

The simple answer is that the mouth is part of the digestive system, one of the 11 systems in our bodies.

All of our bodies' systems -digestive, nervous, cardiovascular, integumentary (skin), etc...- work together.

If one is not working properly, the others become strained.

Example: the skin is pierced by a nail.
Bacteria is introdued into the body. The lymphatic system is called into action. The cardiovascular system is not fuctioning properly because the cicuit has been broken. The nervous system is activated, or on heightened alert (it hurts). Digestion likely slows, heart rate and respiration may speed up. The muscular system may be affected if the nail pierced part of a muscle.

Etc...

These are all stresses on the body that take away from its ability to function optimally.

...That's just an example off the top of my head, excuse me if it's not so great.

That's an acute response. A dental problem is likely to come on slowly and "fester". Usually, a dental emergency is due to a long-festering but ignored problem -unless it's due to a traumatic accident.

A body that's under stress (from anything) will not heal as well and will not handle an added stressor as well, if at all.

I think many of us here have experienced that "crash".

Posts: 797 | From New York | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 259

Icon 1 posted      Profile for GiGi         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
when dr.k. starts with a new patient, he doesn't want to hear the grizzly story. one of the first things he says is 'open your mouth' - that tells him most he needs to know and how to proceed.

it took me five minutes from that point on to understand that i had to remove my root canals and the multitude of different metals from my mouth. he prefaced it with 'if you want to live........ That is the advice i took --- and getting well after starting with amalgam in my twenties and now close to 50 years later, it took a few more years to get well.

ignoring the teeth --- only you know your condition --- is a major handicap toward wellness; and detoxing the bulk of what the teeth and the ignorant dentist left behind is still a long, long job. in the world of today, detoxing heavy metals and chemicals is a lifelong chore.

but it pays off.

take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
joss
Member # 13263

Icon 1 posted      Profile for joss     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just found that my mercury levels are 99.99% and still going....I was tested last May with same results... stopped eating any fish that might have mercury for 6 months.... I checked with my dentist... only one small old amalgam.. I do have several root canals, but when I checked with endodontist they said they never used any mercury or mercury products in the process... i did have many fillings as a child. Could this be where I got the mercury poinoning... no toxic symptoms except lyme ra since 2/09 and Lyme since january 2007... lyme seems better but joint issues and fatigue still significant.
I am taking minocin twice dailyand flygel/ceftin everyother week...anyone else have high mercury levels without the amalgam problem?

Posts: 3 | From Maryland | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i had my teeth cleaned yesterday.

he said not to have that bridge removed until it bothered me. i thought it was a cap that i chipped, wrong....

i have completely ground down the top of a three tooth bridge (only the back tooth tho). apparently the porcelin detoriates over time. and this bridge is 12 years old!!

my mouth is sore from keeping it open but so far no problems.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NanaDubo
Member # 14794

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NanaDubo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My health was on it's way down hill for a long time which directly correlates with timing of dental work.

My last root canal put me over the edge. I went to bed and didn't get up for three months.

Was diagnosed with lyme which may well have been there but the amalgams and root canals set the toxic terrain.

I no longer have any amalgams or root canal teeth.

If you did not see Gigi's post - it's a must read.

www.mercurylife.com It's a real eye opener when it comes to antibiotics too.

Posts: 1129 | From Maine | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Haley
Member # 22008

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Haley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How do you have all your root canals removed? I would have no more teeth. Do you get implants where you had root canals? I have root canals that have always bothered me but I want to save my tooth.
Posts: 2232 | From USA | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

Haley, it was not a choice for me to save my teeth, but instead my life. after you get your jawbone healed and your health back, you can do implants that are no longer done with metals. I chose not to and settled for manmade teeth that are beautiful and I rarely ever remember that they are not my own. Warning: not many dentists in the US are well trained in denture making. I had 12 root canals, all parts of bridges leading from one disaster to the next - one tooth goes - whole bridge goes, endless.
Dentists got rich, I got ill and poor.
Well, most of the dentists I am meeting today at Dr. K. seminars are ill, most of them have Lyme and numerous mercury and toxicity issues. We have known for a couple hundred years that mercury is toxic!
I do not have much positive to say about ignorance. Except now - our children are paying the price by being born with mom's mercury toxin and then hit with thimerisol and often with lifelong autism. Dr. K. is treating them - and it is sad to see them. Our infant son died 8 hours after receiving his first vaccination. He was well and happy until then. he was seven weeks old.

Take care.

Take care.

Posts: 9834 | From Washington State | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Member # 22022

Gigi,

You were one of those who opened my eyes about this last year when I was starting my detox quest. Thanks for always sharing your experience and knowledge!

I have had my mouth muscle tested by a Klinghardt trained ND. Two of my three root canals were identified as "suspect" to my health issues.

I was advised at the time to work on other priorities and come back to evaluate those specific teeth. I am heading in that direction soon! As I am also doing the Allergie Immune therapy, I am not changing anything or trying any new therapy until that is complete.

I just wanted to bring the thought back up on this board and see if others experience the same, especially those who are not just into the natural approach to lyme.

It seems that others do have this link. My LLMD originally never asked anything about dental health on my visits or in the original questionaire. Think LLMD's need to look at this and see the link too! Only a handful seem to look at this as a connection.

Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
** up for more comments**

This really is fascinating.

Based on the posts here - though it's hard to tell exactly - it appears that root canals and mercury/metals in the mouth are not the only things that end up causing problems. Simply having dental work of any kind can `trigger' some kind of health reaction?

Has anyone here had a relapse or reaction after having composite (non-metal fillings) or perhaps just from having their teeth cleaned?

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Member # 22022

Good question Truthfinder...

I don't remember if I did or did not have a reaction after cleaning or composite fillings. But as posted earlier...did have reactions after metal and crowns/root canals. But never put it together at the time.

But I will take note now on my next cleaning!

anyone else?

sonee123
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18632

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sonee123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I do not have any fillings in my mouth. NONE what so ever!

However, my symptoms of nightmare started 6 years ago when i got braces. I had them installed and two months later i was so sick! Severe neuro symptoms got all mri's and ct scans done nothing would come out and then i went into remission. Then it happened again back in sept 2008 a month later of having my wisdom teeth taken out. There is a BIG connection with dental work and this illness or whatever it is. I thought that i got sick after taken abx for a week. but who know what it is??!!

--------------------
May God Bless you, answer your prayers, relieve you of your pain and make you stronger than what you are today. Ameen.

Posts: 341 | From Columbia, MD | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Snailhead
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Snailhead     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an appt. on Tues. to have an infected root canal tooth removed. (SOOO unhappy about this, but, onward.)

My LLMD said this is a "forrest fire" for me, that needs to be taken care of NOW. He has put me on Clindamyacin. I am excited (wierd, I know) to have this done and see if I can stop feeling so dang toxic. I'll let you know.

Posts: 374 | From United States | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brussels
Member # 13480

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brussels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing that strikes me is that the only two people I know with no single cavitiy are in their 40s, drink a lot because they like drinking, but are not sick of anything, they have an incredible stamina, sleep little (when they don't drink) and are very productive in their work.

You know, the type of people that never missed a day of work.

They live in different continents and don't know each other. Similarities are amazing though.

They even don't know what a dentist do because they've never got any dental work.

One of them, even didn't have a toothbrush so he didn't brush his teeth for a whole year, because he was a guerilla fighter in the jungles of Sri Lanka. His teeth still didn't get any cavity after that either!

that for me is a confirmation that cavity is a chronic disease, it is not a tooth disease.

Now I see cavities as a sign of health decay, bad eating habits etc. I suppose, the side 'infection' has to be stressed.

Dentists usually talk about cavities as though it was a bruise, just treat the bruise and that's okay.

'Traditional' / 'primitive' societies don't have toothbrushes and if they keep on good diets, they usually don't get cavities.

Cavity is a strep infection, and if you get more than one, you got a chronic infection.

The worse the condition of the mouth, the worse is the person's health condition. Like the mouth is the mirror of one's health.

If you get a chronic infection anywhere else in your body, you will think your immune system is in trouble. Why would that be different in your mouth?

Multiple cavities have to be seen as a sign of immune system disfunction, in my view.

In Germany, there are loads of books about mouth, dental health and the TOTAL picture of body health.

anyway, just a few more thoughts on the subject...

Posts: 6199 | From Brussels | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Member # 22022

Good thoughts Brussels!
Truthfinder
Member # 8512

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Truthfinder     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks, Brussels. Wow, much to think about there (like a chronic strep problem). I know from experience that if you develop periodontal disease (receding gums), then you should check your whole body bone density. The mouth is usually the first place this will show up and your dentist may not tell you that.

Good luck this week, Snailhead, and let us know what you experience.

Sonee, I assume you got plastic braces (vs metal braces)?

Other than toxic metals and infections like strep, there are a couple of things I'm wondering about.

1. Trauma (and perhaps lesser stresses);
2. Vibration.

Trauma: Briefly, the primitive part of our brain doesn't distinguish between unplanned `assault' from an accident or an attack versus voluntary `assault' from elective surgery or dental work. Nor does it know the difference between watching for rattlesnakes in the grass or driving in heavy traffic. In both cases, physiological changes take place that can alter the immune response (among other things).

Vibration: Dentists use high speed drills and dental hygienists often use high-vibration cleaning devices (Cavitron is one brand I know of). The reason I suspect these may have some unidentified consequences is that drilling or cleaning can often nullify homeopathic remedies taken before dental work. Remedies are basically `frequencies', so the implication is that the artificial vibrations from dental equipment could be altering some natural resonances in the mouth or teeth. Perhaps this could either stimulate pathogenic organisms or toxins or suppress our natural defenses.

Selma, you mentioned that your two cavity-free friends were both drinkers. That's interesting. After I quit drinking and joined the `recovering alcoholic' ranks, I started having more problems with my teeth and `Lyme symptoms'. Maybe that's not so hard to understand when we realize that alcohol suppresses normal fears and anxiety, both of which can be major stressors for the immune system.

I'm just sort of thinking out loud here so thanks for bearing with me. [Smile]

--------------------
Tracy
.... Prayers for the Lyme Community - every day at 6 p.m. Pacific Time and 9 p.m. Eastern Time � just take a few moments to say a prayer wherever you are�.

Posts: 2966 | From Colorado | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Topaz
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20216

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Topaz     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sugar + plaque = acid = cavity
Posts: 423 | From Upstate NY | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jbgoth
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 5567

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jbgoth   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
up!!! so important.............i get so many private messages about root canals and my personal experience. Research, research and research.

BTW, Gigi, everything you told me is true. I dont know if ou remember me, but, i live in Miami have/had 15 root canals. I ended up sending my xrays to a dentist in Nevada for evaluation.

I didnt want to believe what he told me was true, but one by one, they came out.

Had to give up on vanity for my health.

Found a WONDERFUL dentist, who is making me partials. They are coming from Germany. I think you would approve of him, lol.

I feel God sent him to me. All the others her in South Florida thought i was crazy. My favorite quote by all of them is, "well, it looks good on the xray". Yeah, ok, whatever you say. They never believed me. Except when i finally convinced them to remove one.

I questioned my oral surgeon about how he removed them and i swear i thought he was gonna take my head off, lol. My new dentist, doesnt.

Also, if you remember my first cavitation surgery in West Palm Beach was a nightmare.

During a couple of bad root canal removals, i had bone grafting done, (with my own blood). I hardly had any pain at all. Night and day.

Anyway, i know this is a very hot topic, but bad teeth can really make you sick.

Best,

Jordan

Posts: 593 | From Miami, Florida | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dawn in VA
Member # 9693

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dawn in VA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GiGi, sorry to post it here, but I (understandably) noticed that you have you PM disabled.

I am so, so very sorry to hear about what happened to your son.

I know it's off topic, but I just wanted to express my sympathy. Hugs to you today and everyday.

--------------------
(The ole disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Posts: 1349 | From VA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Dental issues are discussed here:

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/romarkaraoke/whento.htm

When to Suspect Lyme

by 
John D. Bleiweiss, M.D.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lymeboy
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am only just hearing about this now....
I was diagnosed with Lyme back around 2002. I did a cycle of antibiotics, my symptoms went away, I figured I was cured. over the yearsmy teeth have gone completely downhill. I have since spent at least 15 - 20000 on dental work, endless root canals, and cavities. I had to have a tooth pulled. I recently got rediagnosed with Lyme, and now I have some very serious symptoms, such as dizziness, confusion, headaches, fatigue, and an MRI revealed lesions on my brain......is this true that Lyme will destroy your teeth as well? I hate this disease!

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
farraday
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21494

Icon 1 posted      Profile for farraday     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This thread is a godsend for me today. I just can't understand why I have regressed so badly since my tooth absessed and I had a root canal. The Clindamycin nearly killed me and now I can barely walk!

I am writing a fax to my LLMD to see what he can do to help me.

I had many mercury fillings as a child. All but one have been replaced. But my teeth are a mess from grinding.

--------------------
DOCTOR: "I don't think you are sick."
PATIENT: "We are all entitled to our opinions. I don't think you are a doctor."

Posts: 697 | From Northern California | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Member # 22022

Mercury moves to the brain with each filling...and each time you take a bite on those surfaces.

During removal more mercury moves to the brain if you do not take chlorella or another mercury binding substance during removal. Learn about this before taking out the last filling.

Root canals cause major issues...usually need to totally remove the tooth. I am working this issue now myself.

I personally believe much dimentia/alzheimers is related to dental work on top of other toxins individually in people ...especially in the elderly in America. Just add a tick bite to someone with underlying dental metal/chemical issues...and wham....chronic illness! The immune system can not handle it all!

Also we pass mercury to our unborn children...causing autism spectrum disorders. This is a very big problem in the usa and has long reaching cnseaqenses for our future children in this country.

map1131
Member # 2022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for map1131     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dental work was the straw that broke the camels back for me. Yes, unknowningly I had a few LD sx going on in '98. Summer '99 was attacked by 12 bug bites and I thought they were chiggers, covered them with clear nail polish. OMG

A few years later LLMD says from description they were nymph/deer ticks that I covered with nail polish. OMG

Three weeks after bug attack...I had this molar that I had spent 4 years trying to save this tooth and the bone around this tooth. Spent hundreds of dollars with surgery, etc.

It throbbed constantly and was just too painful. I went to my dentist and told him to pull it. Of course I had to argue to get my point across, but he finally numbed me up and pulled it.

This tooth was loaded with infection. He knew it and I knew it but I didn't think anything about it. No abx rx?????

Today I know better. He should of hit me with heavy duty abx for at least 10 days. Instead 4 days later the toxic bacteria surrounding that tooth had spread into my body and bloodstream.

So began my flu-like illness from he!!.

I was on a collision course already but this tooth broke me in so many ways. It wasn't until years later that I was able to see how all this was related.

Pam

--------------------
"Never, never, never, never, never give up" Winston Churchill

Posts: 6478 | From Louisville, Ky | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
greengirl
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 25316

Icon 1 posted      Profile for greengirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why is it that a root canal can be so destructive.

I had one that seems to correlate to my symptom onset (but that was also during the time I had jobs outdoors, tromping through bug-infested areas).

Also, I've had a lot of cosmetic dental work to fix broken/chipped teeth from a bike accident. That definitely coincided with, what I refer to as, "the top of my slide," down. The dental work didn't involve fillings, just lots of bonding and a couple porcelain laminates.

Anyway, if someone could answer teh root canal question, or point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. I've tried google and can't find anything.

Thanks.

Posts: 252 | From New York | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ping
Member # 6974

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ping     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Although I can't equate the start of my Lyme/TBD sx's with dental work, I can say that my condition has deteriorated somewhat since having 5 of my 9 amalgams removed in late March. I can't seem to get enough chlorella in me without being so constipated that nothing moves.

Also, there's the mycoplasma infection that tested at 677, up from 526, the day before I had the amalgams removed, which I'm now taking abx to resolve. Hard to tell where one leaves off and the other begins. However, of the 4 or 5 amalgams I have left, I intend to have fewer removed at each visit, rather than so many at once. I'm just not up to it and working 10+ hours a day too. Whew!

--------------------
ping
"We are more than containers for Lyme"

Posts: 1302 | From Back in TX again | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GiGi
Member # 259

dental issues -- probably the most important subject when it comes to chronic illness -

up

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement