LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Who has pulsed Flagyl? Come in!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Who has pulsed Flagyl? Come in!
txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for txgirl09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I need input from those of you who have pulsed flagyl.

I took 2 pills per day (250 mg, I believe) for 2 weeks. I actually had a few good days, and several bad days during this time.

I also take doxy & ceftin every day (not pulsing). I'm just now starting my two weeks "off" flagyl, and feeling horrible.

Is this normal? Do you feel better while taking flagyl, or off? I've experienced headaches and all kinds of pains, but I want to stick with it.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 490 | From TX- Go Cowboys! | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff S.
Member # 21361

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jeff S.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TX

I recently pulsed Flagyl for the first time. I did it for 9 weeks,1500 mg per day.

I was 3 days on and 4 days off initially and then 4 days on and 3 days off. At the same time, I maintained my doxy dose (full time) at 400 mg per day.

So your dose is relatively smaller.

I had a very similar experience to yours. I had periods when I felt worse and symptoms were amplified. I think this is normal and probably good.

As long as you can deal with it, push through to the end of the regime.

I have been off flagyl for over 2 weeks now and I am feeling better than before I started.

Hang in there and good luck!

Posts: 43 | From Sacramento, Ca | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am on Flagyl. I developed severe shoulder pain and since starting 600 vitamin E it is helping. Hang in there.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pulsed Flagyl was great!
I did 3,000 mg/day for 2 weeks on then 2 weeks off. In the beginning I took 1,500 mg per day for 2 months straight, then went to pulsing. It was always combined with other antibiotics such as 1,200 mg Zithromax, 1.2 MU Bicillin LA 4x per week
Flagyl was truly a breakthrough for me. The herxing was intense, it did make me feel gloomy, but it was all worth it in the end. [Smile]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Icon 1 posted      Profile for txgirl09     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, those are high doses!

Did you feel any different on your "off" weeks?
I guess I'm also confused because today is my second day off flagyl, and I'm feeling worse than ever!

Thanks, I'm glad to hear you have all had such success with it.

[ 10-29-2009, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: txgirl09 ]

Posts: 490 | From TX- Go Cowboys! | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Not really, I felt pretty horrible for about a year on all the meds before I started seeing improvements.
springshowers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is the normal pulsing method for Flagyl??
Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

2 weeks on at full dose and 2 weeks off. It can also be used non-stop for 2-3 months and then pulsed. I used to do the pulse 4 days on 3 days off for 2 weeks in a row, then 2 full weeks off. Taking slivers of pills, and other inadequate dosing does not count as pulsing.
springshowers
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok... that is what I was wondering.. ..
if 4 days on and 3 days off is normal?

If someone has done a couple months straight.. Then would 4 days on and 3 days off for two weeks and then take off two weeks make sense?

And I am talking about IV flagyl.. and 1500mg per day..

Also for Artemisinin what is the pulsing like. Does it mimic the Flagyl pulsing schedule?

And what is the dosing per day.. 200 to 600 per day? Or??

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Parisa
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 10526

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Parisa     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My husband did five days on, two days off for three months total.
Posts: 984 | From San Diego | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Ok, when I started Flagyl it was 500 mg 4x per day every day for 3 months. After that, it was 750 Mg (Flagyl ER) 4x per day (total 3,000mg/day) for 4 days on then 3 days off for 2 weeks, then a full 2 weeks off. All the while being on other antibiotics such as Biaxin and Bicillin.

Flagyl is also used 2 weeks on full dose (2,000 mg/day) and 2 weeks off with other meds being taken every day.

There are other combinations of antibiotics that work too, that is just what I was on. Doses vary as well, some do 500 mg 3x per day along with other meds.

With artemesia it is 2 weeks on full dose, and 2 weeks off. Artemesia is usually combined with Mepron 2-4 tsp/ day along with Biaxin (1,500 -2,000 mg/day) or Zithromax (500-1,00 mg/day)

Some patients are able to determine clear cut 4 week cycles of flare ups, and some doctors can use that as the time frame for using pulse therapy.

txgirl09
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 21612

Thanks, Wildcondor. You are so helpful!

I'll have to talk to my dr about increasing my dose. Did you have much neuropathy with flagyl? Even on my lower dose, I'm having a some new/worse neuropathy which worries me.

WildCondor
Unregistered

That can be a side effect of Flagyl. make sure your doctor knows you are experiencing this. You may need a lower dose, or to stop it altogether. Tinidazole may be easier to take.
springshowers
Member # 19863

I have been reading up about Dr. J protocol methode

He believes that dosing every 24 hours does no make sense and does it M W F instead.

And besides the M W F thing he does 2 weeks on and then the next week off.

In that M W F also he pulses things like Flagyl on Th F so something like that..

Then also Art and Mepron.. Like you were saying Wild.

So kinda just a different spin on the Pulse and Cycling method..

Also gives Ringers on the Days off.

I am very close to this sort of protocol and finding I am making some good progress....

I am having to change Flagyl to Tindazole...

One top of above.. and 2 weeks on and 1 week off.. Then Every 6 weeks there are changes in the primary meds given and they are IV. Like a combo of two and then and addition of an oral of something.

Its a lot to think about and plan out.. but.. I think there is definately something to a plan like this..

mojo
Member # 9309

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mojo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wild Condor you are my Idol when it comes to taking high doses of ABX!

And a perfect example of how that can work very well.

Thanks for sharing your info with us.

Posts: 1761 | From USA | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
randibear
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 11290

Icon 1 posted      Profile for randibear     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm, my doc had me pulse flagl at 500 per day for two weeks and off two weeks.

--------------------
do not look back when the only course is forward

Posts: 12262 | From texas | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement