LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » did your anxiety go away with treatment?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: did your anxiety go away with treatment?
mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all.....

my son (26) was recently diagnose with Ehrlichia and Lyme.....

one of his worst symptoms is anxiety...heart pounding....it is to the point where it becomes dibilitating for him....

just wondering if treatment cleared this up....and how long it took......
he has it from the minute he wakes up....

awful.... [shake]

he is taking Rifampin for now...slowly....got waaaaay to sick on Doryx.....
and he is now taking Pinella and Burber....
...and water with lemon.....

doc felt that my son wasn't clearing toxins fast enough while on the Doryx......

also on Zanax when absolutly needed....

any input would be appreciated....

thanks
[hi] mtree

--------------------
worrying about tomorrow takes its strength away from today

Posts: 970 | From Point PLeasant , NJ | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WildCondor
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The heart pounding may be the infections. Does he have babesia as well? Babesia caused the heart pounding with me, my resting heart rate went up to 130 bpm in bed. I finally saw a Lyme literate cardiologist and got a tilt table test. I was diagnosed with Lyme induced Neurally Mediated Hypotension. Treatment for that took away the heart pounding! [Smile] Xanax seems to help with all these symptoms.

Why is he taking Rifampin by itself?

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtree     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
thanks wild [Smile]

my LLMD is gradualy introducing antibiotics to my son....
we will work up to more...for now just seeing if he can tolerate this...

we went full force a couple of weeks ago with the Dorxy and that flattened him for 2 weeks.....tried doing half the Dorxy dose... [shake] still could not tolerate it...

glad to hear the anxiety got better....
nothing came positive with Babs...but we all know that dosen't mean much...

thanks again!!
[Smile] mtree

--------------------

Posts: 970 | From Point PLeasant , NJ | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamesNYC
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 15793

Icon 1 posted      Profile for JamesNYC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mtree,

Are you assuming he has anxiety just from the rapid heart rate? Or does this anxiety also have psychological symptoms?

James

Posts: 872 | From New York City | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carol in PA
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 5338

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Carol in PA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anxiety can be due to low magnesium.

The Importance of Magnesium to Human Nutrition
http://www.mbschachter.com/importance_of_magnesium_to_human.htm

Posts: 6947 | From Lancaster, PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

thanks Carol...I will start him on that.... [Smile]

James...
...psychological symptoms???

no I don't think he has anxiety from the rapid heart beat....
he feels anxiouse all of the time...

...he has a hard time explaining to me and his docs...
his heart rate definently goes way up....
it comes out of the blue the rapid heart rate...but the anxiouseness is always there.... [shake]

--------------------

Jane2904
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry your son is having anxiety.

My daughter had anxiety, pediatrician tried to blame it on her age, bad winter( sickness) etc. etc.....

She has been in treatment( Lyme) since this past May and her anxiety is better. She still has it , but it is more manageable now.

Rifampin is very good. At least it has been for our daughter. She also takes another antibiotic along with the Rifampin.

Hope he feels better

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AliG
Member # 9734

Icon 1 posted      Profile for AliG     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Levaquin helped with this very quickly but I wasn't on it long enough & relapsed. If he's got a magnesium deficiency, Levaquin is more likely to cause that dreaded tendinitis.

Anxiety has DEFINITELY improved for me after months on Minocycline and Rifampin. Initially, Rifampin caused wicked heart symptoms starting shortly after dosing & lasting for approximately 1 hour.

I'm not sure how long that continued but it also went away. I don't think that the dose-related heart pounding was related to any actual anxiety though it did CAUSE plenty of it. [Roll Eyes]

The anxiety never really cleared for me with Lyme/Babs Tx, but has seemed to be slowly resolving with this. I hope he can stick it out & it helps him.

hugs & prayers,
[group hug]
Ali

--------------------
Note: I'm NOT a medical professional. The information I share is from my own personal research and experience. Please do not construe anything I share as medical advice, which should only be obtained from a licensed medical practitioner.

Posts: 4881 | From Middlesex County, NJ | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shelly23
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 16124

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shelly23     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mine has gotten way better not completly gone but oh my way better

--------------------
Shelly
~ IGM~Positive
CDC Positive
23-25 +
31+++
34++
41+

I am a Dreamer, Believer, and Conquer; I will overcome this disease !!!

Posts: 382 | From Alabama Via PA | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

thank you Jane Kathy Keebler Ali and Shelly for all of your input....all has been VERY helpful....

[Smile] mtree

--------------------

Stacyb
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 13084

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stacyb     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anxiety and all my heart issues got better
with Bart tx. = Rifampin and Zith.
It got worse at first from tx but them got
better quickly!

Posts: 476 | From Columbus, Ohio | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Daughters got better with antibiotic treatment first...but only 50% better I would estimate.

After Allergie Immune therapy,it is 95 % better I would say. She is a teenager and notices the change. She is so much better today!

Thanks to all on the board who have helped us along our way!

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toppers
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20083

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Toppers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just wanted to add my .02: Mine was so bad just walking into a store or going to work would have my heart palpitating so fiercely I thought I would die on the spot every day. After 3 months of rifampin/biaxin/ceftin mixed and matched this is totally gone. I can't even remember the last heart palpitation I had, let alone the racing public / environmental anxiety. Rifampin was the largest gain by far.

Yeah, it can be treated and go away.

Ehrlichiosis/bart/lyme suspected here (+ titers for all)

Posts: 501 | From Cleveland Ohio | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

thank you Toppers parfait and stacy [Smile]

good to know that Rifampin helped with this....just got to get him on something else with it....

so far he is tolerating the full dose of Rifampin... [bow]

we tried psych meds and that just made the anxiety worse....he actualy said to me...."I feel like I'm losing my mind" that was scary...for him....and..for us....

no more psych meds for now [shake]

[Smile] mtree

--------------------

sixgoofykids
Member # 11141

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sixgoofykids   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You might also look at the threads on KPU and pyroluria. Dr. K has a talk on KPU as well. http://www.viddler.com/explore/THRiiiVE/videos/219/

Also check out articles at www.drrandy.org

KPU treatment has helped my anxiety tremendously.

--------------------
sixgoofykids.blogspot.com

Posts: 13449 | From Ohio | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mixxster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mixxster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm 19 years old, and have had irrational anxiety for well over 6 years now.

Doxy and other Lyme-targeting antibiotics alone did very little for my anxiety. Rifampin only slightly helped with anxiety, and it seemed that its effects were only temporary. Levaquin for Bart combined with Doxy made my irrational anxiety pretty much go away within 4 days. It was a miracle.

The heart problems remain, but are now more connected with physical exertion than with anxiety. I think the lingering heart problems are more likely connected with my untreated Babesia symptoms.

Posts: 121 | From Silver Spring, Maryland | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

thank you six and mix [Big Grin] for your in out...

good to know about the Levaquin helping....
...it went away in 4 days?? ..wow...that IS a miracle!!!!!

[Smile] mtree

--------------------

Vermont_Lymie
Member # 9780

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vermont_Lymie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Babesia treatment helped greatly with this, as did lyme treatment with antibiotics. I used all of the babs treatments so far, and each one helped -- malarone, mepron and zith, and clindamycin and quinine.
Posts: 2557 | From home | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lightparfait
Member # 22022

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lightparfait     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To clarify my previous post, my daughter's anxiety got better when her co-infections were treated and gone. She had RMSF and Ehrlichiosis with the lyme.

All her flu like symptoms including anxiety and depression improved and she actually never was treated spefically for the lyme, as was suggested by her llmd after her co-infections were gone.

She took a spring/summer abx break...then started the Allergie Immune therapy, as you must be off abx to do this natural body re-balancing treatment. We just happened into this therapy treamtment from watchng the thread on lymenet. Since she was not on abx, it was a no-brainer to try. She was sick and tired of the other many pill/supplement treatments more than the illnesses.

The AI therapy is only 5 drops of water...under the tongue 3xday. This was so easy for her to do. We did this as an experiment, not knowing if she would get results.

That's when all emotional things quickly became resolved....I see her currently as 95% better with anxiety...not perfect but no anxiety attacks or feeling out of control.

She has no lyme symptoms either. Her immune system is working great now.

Abx did help her get the bacterial load down so her young body's immune system could finally take over! I thing getting rid of the co-infections was key to be free to do the AI therapy with no herx or problems.

I highly recommend allowing your young people to take abx breaks and cleanse and detox, then evaluate where they are and what's actually left to treat before keeping them long term on the abx...if possible.

Adults seem to have different responses as there is so much already deeply out of balance, much more than lyme going on. I know each is different with different degrees of illness. But our young people can do great.

So hard to compare treatments on this site...but we're all here to share what has worked for our family.

By taking this break, cleansing and doing the AI, my daughter was spared a pic line...that I was about to have her do! Also she did not need psych meds like major anxiety drugs that are addictive.

We did put her for one month only on Topomax as her lyme psychologist suggested this to help her get very deep sleep to also help her immune system heal and her hormones get rebalanced. This helped greatly and she was able to think vore clearly, slept through the night and awoke refreshed and ready for the day! Her periods finally are normal...as she used to have them every two weeks. She was amazed.

After the Topomax, she also did a detox to get the residual of the Topomax out of her system.

All this worked together for her.

She is now in her first year of college...and I am still amazed that she has not had any sickness, no flu, and no herx. She had big time lyme symptoms for years!

She just finished midterms and did call with anxiety during that week. But she said the anxiety she thinks is normal test anxiety, not what she had experienced before. This week she is happy and no anxiety at all!

As a mother of a chronically sick child for years, I can hardly believe she has had freedom of lyme symptoms now for 7 months. We will see how long this progresses. Those interested in her progress...I post on the AI thread.

I just want to give others hope.

Posts: 1009 | From NJ | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mtree
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14305

thanks parfait....
I will keep that in mind after he has been treated with the antibiotic for a bit....

so happy for you that your daughter is doing well....
fortunatly my son does what he is supposed to do...(so far)
my daughter is not as commited to her recovery....she does try ....but has a hard time with the following through....

thanks for your input..
[Smile] mtree

--------------------

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement