LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Herx or FLU?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Herx or FLU?
kareamber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20110

Icon 5 posted      Profile for kareamber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can I differentiate a herx from the flu? I started taking my new abx last night. Azithromycin, and Amox. It's been just about 24 hours and I've had two doses. I'm feeling horrible. Achy, Horrible head ache, tired.. Could this be a herx? Or possible flu? My hubby just got over the flu.. I hope it's not a combo of both! That would be NO fun!

How can I tell the difference??

--------------------
IgeneX IGG POS 30+ 31++++ 41++
IGM 30+ 31+++ 34IND 41IND 83-93IND
Quest NEG IGG 30 and 41 only

Posts: 538 | From Everywhere | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
springshowers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh. now that you mention all that i would guess it is the flu.

I had it a few weeks ago and after starting a new abx regemin too..

But if you are achy and headaches and well take your temperature.

It for sure could be your getting sick...

I would start on some things right away. Dr Mercola suggests High Vitamin D3 for 3 straight days. Its on his website. I did that and also the Homeopathic Flu Remidy Occill.. Cant spell it.

Also.. L Lysine is a big help.. I did all those and also went to my doctor who gave me tamiflu

I was upset I was getting sick in the middle of my new treatment but I only could do what I could do. It took a couple weeks to be over it and i still have some residual symptoms.

So take good care. and. I think your right in thinking it could be the flu.. You will know in the next upcoming day for sure... i bet.

Take good care.. feel better soon... and rest

PS> I had to stop my abx for a good week . .I just got too sick to endure it.. I would ask your doctor about ALL of this.

Maybe get an appt right away.. The flu can become quite serious for some.. I would not mess around with it.

it scared me..i will tell you that much..

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kareamber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kareamber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't have a fever. Just sore muscles, joints, neck pain, headache, and the dizziness (which I had before). My ears hurt too! Ugh!! I hope it's not the flu! It sure is going around here though... Did the tamiflu help?

--------------------

Posts: 538 | From Everywhere | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kareamber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20110

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kareamber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm hating this! I've been questioning my lyme dx from day one, and I was hoping that with this new treatment I'd have a herx to prove it really is lyme. And now this! It's always something!

--------------------

springshowers
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 19863

Icon 1 posted      Profile for springshowers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes the Tamiflu helped me. I still though had it rough for a good while. I started to think I was over it and then in a few days i got a whole new set of symptoms. After the set you have and then It showed up in my sinuses and chest and lungs. The headaches took a long time to go away for me.

And well. they will not give you tamiflu usually if you do not get there in the first 24 to 48 hours of the onset.. for some reason.. I assume it must not work as well.

But I went in right away. The night it hit me was HARD and scary. I barely got to the doctors.

But.. anyway. I felt like you. I put in a ton of money toward a huge new treatment protocol and I had to deal with the flu in the middle of it..

Ok Good news.. Though. .And I heard this from others too.

I felt a new energy of sorts after it was over. Like my immune system working better.

So .. there can be silver linings to everything I guess...

Hang in there.

PS. I had the earaches too...

I used some Silver drops in them. But they never got very severe.. but hung on for a good couple weeks...

Posts: 2747 | From Unites States Of America | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kareamber
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20110

Well had the headache all last night, and it's still there this morning but not as bad. Still feeling slightly achy too. But absolutley NO fever, or congestion. If it was the flu wouldn't I be running a fever? I feel better right now than I did last night...if it was the flu wouldn't I be feeling worse? I didn't take my abx last night, cause I was afraid to have to flu and a big fat herx. Guess I'll restart them this morning...

What else could cause the headache, aches and pains? Maybe it is a herx. I don't know!

--------------------

LymedOut
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22351

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LymedOut     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since you stopped the antibiotics and felt slightly better, it may have been a herx. When I feel like I'm starting to get sick, I take a higher dose of vitamin c.

Hope you start feeling better.

--------------------
The advice I give, should not be considered medical advice. My opinion comes from years of research and experience.

Posts: 233 | From Somewhere | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jenny76
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 18205

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jenny76     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you were having a herx from the new antibiotic combo. The flu has been presenting with a fever (usually) and congestion of some kind.

I just started a new med combo and I had the same reaction within about 24 hrs.

I hope that you are feeling better!!

--------------------
Never, Never, Never give up!

Posts: 395 | From Connecticut | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kareamber:
[QB] I don't have a fever.

Then it's unlikely to be the flu unless you are in the early stages.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mixxster
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 22765

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mixxster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After my first dose of Azithromycin and Mepron, I spiked a fever of 102 degrees. It was definately a babesia herx for me.

I already had H1N1 flu this year, I already had the flu shot (please don't argue with my decision to do so), so I don't know of any flus that were left for me to get.

That high fever lasted one day and have since been having mild fevers.

You should definitely consider the possibility of it being a herx, unless you haven't gotten better.

It could also be a cold, which I've seen going around without fevers.

[ 11-18-2009, 01:14 PM: Message edited by: mixxster ]

Posts: 121 | From Silver Spring, Maryland | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement