LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Can a doctor do this? help please!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Can a doctor do this? help please!
mindylynn
Member # 21401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mindylynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi all,

I apologize because this will be long, but I

really need to know what you all think. I have

posted lately about my increased pain and my LLMD

being closed. I am 3 1/2 years in treatment with

the same doctor. I called his office yesterday to

see if i could speak to him about the increase of

pain and what i should do, some here suggested

maybe cutting back meds or taking a break and

that is what I wanted to ask him. I talk to his

secretary who was rude and wouldn't even let me

finish explaining what I needed, just said that

the doctor would probably not return a call. Again I tried to explain that I wanted to speak

to him.

I called last month about the same issue and it

always seems that the message isn't told right

and when the nurse calls back it seems like she

only has half of the story.

An update on my meds, I take Biaxin 500mg 2x day

and switched form Ceftin to the Omnicef about 2

months ago. this is when all the increase pain

started. When I called his office is September

about it, the message was for me to skip the

Omnicef every other day. I cut back to every

third day and still in terrible pain. It may be a

herx, but it has been the longest on I ever had.

I stopped it on my own about a week ago, because

his office has been closed for two weeks, ok,

pain still just as intense.But figured I could

wait till the office reopened to talk to him about it.

Late yesterday his nurse calls back and says my

doc. says to find a new doctor. WHAT???? I told

her that I have been his patient for 3.5 years.

She said he is swamped and that he has been away

for two weeks, Ok I really don't care about that.

I am his patient and I don't believe a doctor can

just drop a patient like that. I also believe

that I should be able to speak to him if I am

having a problem. In all the years of threatment

I think I have called him once between my

appointments with a question. Once!

I told the nurse...I need to know what to do

about my meds etc.... and she said,"I don't know

what to tell you, I am telling you what the

doctor said"" he said to find a new doctor"

Honestly I cried all nite....not sure what to do

or where to turn. I don't believe it is legal for

a doctor to just abandon a patient for no reason

is it?

I really need your help guys on what to do? I am

trying to find a new LLMD as soon as possible. I

posted under doctors, because I lost my

list....thanks ....sorry for it being so long.

Posts: 10 | From New England | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well thats exactly what I would do. Find a new doc.

In the meantime I would go pick up all my records.

And I may back off on meds to see if that helps

your symptoms. You may need to see a reg. MD before

you get to a new LLMD as those symptoms could be

caused by something else. Sorry but it sounds like it is for the best.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
seibertneurolyme
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 6416

Icon 1 posted      Profile for seibertneurolyme     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think different states have different rules about firing patients. In Virginia a doc has to send you a 30 day letter -- they will continue to treat for that 30 days. In theory you should be able to find another doc in 30 days.

Hubby has gotten a few of these letters from PCP's but never from LLMD's. One letter was after the first appointment with a new doc -- he decided hubby was too complicated.

We have changed LLMD's a few times as well mostly due to finances (couldn't afford to travel etc) -- not a fun position to be in.

Actually many Lymies stay with an LLMD too long -- if you are not making progress (stalled for 6 months or longer) or the office is unresponsive to your needs (especially in emergency situations) then it is probably time to switch. Different docs have different treatment protocols and favorite meds and new eyes sometimes can make a big difference.

Sorry for what happened and hope you find a new doc soon.

If you include more info on which infections you have, your primary symptoms and what your treatments have been someone can help more with suggestions.

Bea Seibert

Posts: 7306 | From Martinsville,VA,USA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mindylynn
Member # 21401

Icon 1 posted      Profile for mindylynn     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the replies. My problem with being in

Maine is that we are so rural and there are only

two LLMD's in the whole state. But I have made up my mind to travel wherever I have to to get better.

I was diagnosed 3.5 years ago, been ill for

probably 7 years prior, went thru what I guess we

all go thru for misdiagnosis.

I have all the symptoms of late stage Lyme, with

memory problems, arthritis etc. I have been on

numerous ABX, primarliy Biaxin and Ceftin, tried

Doxy and and now Omnicef. also, plaquinel,

mobic,meds for pain and sleep. Pain has always

been one of the worst symptoms, varying from

throbbing to buring stabbing pain, ncek,

shoulder, hip, hands, elbows, knees,ankles you

name it and I probably have had pain there. the

thing is....last year I was better, the past six

months have been horrible for me.

Is it a relapse?

Thanks again for the replies. I am

still so upset with all of this. But I appreciate

you all taking time to answer me.

Posts: 10 | From New England | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shosty
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our PCP has fired three out of 5 members of our family. He gave us 30 days warning.

This includes my husband, who thought he was healthy and did not visit the PCP for a few years. When he had a stroke, he was stranded in the hospital until he could find a new PCP.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kellyjk4
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 19731

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kellyjk4     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mindy, in my opinion, you're better off without a dr who would treat you that way.

I'm sorry you're so upset, and I'm sure I would be too, but looking at it from the outside, I think this might turn out to be a good thing.

Make sure you get a copy of your medical record from that office to take with you to the next LLMD that you see.

Since you've been suffering so much, perhaps your PCP could help?

Is your PCP lyme friendly at all?

--------------------
Take care -kelly
---------------

Posts: 330 | From TX | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tincup
Honored Contributor (10K+ posts)
Member # 5829

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tincup         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would write a short, short short letter. NO emotion. No accusations.

It could be a bad nurse day... and NOT the doctor's intent.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````

Sample...

Dear Dr. X,

I contacted you by phone last _______ to ask what you wanted me to do about the increased pain and worsening of symptoms I am experiencing. It started shortly after my last visit; after I started taking the new dose of medications prescribed by your office.

My next scheduled appointment isn't until _______.

I was told by Nurse X after leaving a message, that your response to my question was to "find a new doctor".

If your intention at this time is to abandon me as a patient, please advise me of this in writing and include a copy of all my medical records with your official response. If you have any recommendations of who I may see to monitor me while on your treatment protocols, please advise.

Thank you,

XXXXXXXX

`````````````````````````````````````````````````

Then wait for a response.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
www.TreatTheBite.com
www.DrJonesKids.org
www.MarylandLyme.org
www.LymeDoc.org

Posts: 20353 | From The Moon | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sick Tick
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 23003

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sick Tick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was dumped by my infectious disease MD-i wish it was illegal in this state just so I could make an issue of it!

He made his nurse say to me 3 times, as if I were an idiot, "You had an infectious disease. You were appropriately treated for the infectious disease, and you are now cured. You are now dealing with the damage left behind and we cannot help you"

I was stunned. I had had great rapport with this MD. I was miserable, and no doctor would see me.

I am stunned that there is ever an istance where an MD would dump someone for any reason. An attorney told my nursing class that we cannot abandon patients ever, such as in a strike situation, or our replacement didn't show up, etc. I assumed that was one of those ethical situations that would be the same for an MD.

My heart breaks every time I read stories like yours. What have we done to deserve this?

Posts: 283 | From where the ticks are! | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's HORRIBLE... I have heard of others here who had the same problem.

It's really uncalled for.

I would DEFINITELY type up Tincup's suggested letter and send it!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
METALLlC BLUE
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 6628

Icon 1 posted      Profile for METALLlC BLUE     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is terribly unfortunate I've heard it before and experienced it before.

Follow Tin Cup, and if you need a list let me know, I'll give you plenty of names for all the states around you (including Maine).

[email protected]

You're also welcome to write up a brief summary of your experience with the particular doctor you worked with. I record the anonymous reports of patients like yourself so other patients who come looking for help have an idea of what others experienced with the various doctors I provide.

--------------------
I am not a physician, so do your own research to confirm any ideas given and then speak with a health care provider you trust.

E-mail: [email protected]

Posts: 4157 | From Western Massachusetts | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B and M
Member # 13544

Icon 1 posted      Profile for B and M     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My wife was fired by her LLMD when she was not responding they way he thought she should.

I guess she was messing up his statistics about the percentage of people he helps.

Turns out he did us a huge favor.

Our new doctor is much better and we have seen significant improvement.

She has a long way to go, but from where we were things are looking up

Posts: 65 | From Georgia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mindylynn
Member # 21401

Thanks you all are the best. I do feel better

about all this. I think it will turn out for the best.

Tincup thanks for the advice...I will do that.

Calling today for a new doctor appointment.

Thanks to all again. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

trigal2
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 20578

Icon 1 posted      Profile for trigal2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A MD can discahrge you from tx BUT he/she needs to provide notice and a referal for a new MD. He/ She cannot just abandon a patient mid treatment.

IF there was a breakdown in the Doctor/Patient relationship then that should have been discussed with you by the doctor and an appropriate referal given to you.

I know for sure in the state of NJ an MD cannot just "dump" a client like that. I am a Psychologist and have worked in the same office with MD.'s and that situation had come up on nunmerous occasions.

A letter from the Doctor with 30 days notice and a referal MUST be given. If not there is too much room for liablity and a lawsuit.

Best bet is to move on and take care of yourself. Really quite a shame though....

Posts: 376 | From New Jersey | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement