LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » Blood Draws-Child

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blood Draws-Child
Jane2904
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Our daughter absolutely hates having blood drawn.

It is not a pretty site. The last tech. I thought was going to call it a day. lol

On a lab request --is one vial drawn for each test?

She has a new lab request to do. Looks like over 28 items requested. So I only hope , they will not draw 28 vials.

Thanks for any information

[ 11-04-2009, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: Jane2904 ]

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Probably not 28 vials but it could be several.

Is the for Igenex?

If so, you can contact them directly regarding details through www.igenex.com

---

How old is your daugher? Is part of it that her veins are hard to get and keep still? If so, warming hands a lot with warm water before the draw will help. A little foot heating pad like campers have can be used over the arm to keep it warm prior to the draw.

A "Butterfly" needle may be less painful and helpful if veins are hard to secure but could take longer.

And, dare I say, maybe the darkest chocolate that she would take? Just one Hersey's dark chocolate kiss might help. Back it up with some nuts once you get in the car so that she's got some protein and good fats to balance all that out.

A nice piece of fruit may also serve well here.

Music for pleasure, too. If the brain can be compensated with some pleasure, she may be able to handle more pain.

Picture books - even I like to look at them during blood draws. Someplace that takes me away - far away.

If she likes to be held, that should be encourage and may serve to calm her nervous system(s) a lot. Hugs are very therapeutic for many reasons. Holding, too.

Some techs are more cordial that others, you might call ahead and ask for the most tender of hearts for a very nice girl.

And, a science lesson will help her understand what is happening, there should be someone at the lab who can offer an educational one-on-one either on a day before or while going through the process.

A patient advocate may have other ideas, too. You might see if their is a medical hypnotherapist on staff. The way they are taught to use words is very helpful, all positive images or words and nothing can can be interpreted or pictured negatively.

A medical hypnotherapist is also trained in stress management and visualization techniques. You could see them for appointments prior to or during the draw, depending upon their schedule but they would most like be before and teach you - or her the techniques and maybe even make an individualized audio recording.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jane2904     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Keebler, The test is not for Igenex.

we are going to the lab at the local children's hosp. Various virus, thyroid, ana, strep, Erlichiosis, etc, etc....

She is 13.5 years old, They never have had trouble drawing blood,( veins etc) just she gets so anxious , she just about makes herself sick, dizzy, etc etc. Even with a Butterfly needle. And that is before they start drawing [Frown]

I like the idea of music, she loves her ipod, and will make sure we have chocolate and some nuts for after. [Smile]

I called the lab and they said the amount depends on what is being requested test wise and if it needs to be sent out. I asked if the request could be split up and some done and come back.

The tech, said it is best to get it all done at once. She assured me that they have dealt with many people. They suggested bringing juice and that lying down would be best.

I mentioned her dislike to the LLMD and he said that not much was requested, but it sure looks like alot. Hopefully it will not be a huge amount and they will be quick.

Thanks Keebler, as always you have great advice.

Posts: 1357 | From Massachusetts | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Keebler
Honored Contributor (25K+ posts)
Member # 12673

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Keebler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-
Sensory overload might be what is causing the anxiety. Can they dim the lights, provide a quiet place to wait, and have gentle music.

A more serene environment, too, may be needed. This is a real matter of accommodation.

I can't sort through it but there is a startling sentence in this article about how some lyme patients can barely be in the same room with someone else due to sensory overload:

-----------------

http://cassia.org/essay.htm

When to Suspect Lyme - by John D. Bleiweiss, M.D.

===============================

If she also has hyperacusis, this is even more reason to get patient adovate and find a quiet setting.

I've even had the tech take me to private room - or a different area. If necessary due to sensory overload, a home visit?

Call the autistic groups in your town and see where they have their most positive experiences. Ear plugs can make vertigo worse and then nausea sets in. Ear muffs might be better but nothing compares to a environment that is made peaceful.

Ask about intercom systems that might be startling or overwhelming and if you can avoid being around those.

Ask if you can take in a small lamp (with a regular light bulb) and have the overhead fluorescents turned off in the room where you will be. THAT might just make a huge different.

And, what is the least busy time of day for the lab but still early enough to process and get the specimens shipped out?
-------

"chocolate and some nuts for after" - I meant the chocolate kiss for DURING - as an emergency measure to get the draw completed- if it would not affect the blood drawn.

If you do this afterward, to calm her down, it might be okay but, As a rule, milk chocolate and sugar is off limits. But, just a tiny amount can be very calming and good for the pleasure system if she freaks out.

As she is a teenager, I would suggest going up to a 73%. Dagoba makes "Chocodrops" discs in that degree of dark. The higher the number, the less sugar. Unless she would still need calming afterward, I would hesitate to set chocolate up as a reward. But, if she still needs calming, with nuts, the darker kind, in a small amount, might help the brain settle down.

If she has infections, sweets won't be on her diet.

Or - you can mix plain cocoa powder with whatever kind of milk she likes and add stevia, a sweetener from plants. Take it hot or cold in a thermos. This way, you avoid sugar but get the calming effect and other brain chemicals benefit from the cocoa.
-

Posts: 48021 | From Tree House | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Well, at least at this facility, only one person at a time has blood drawn.

You basically have a private room. I can't even mention blood labs to her. She has a huge adversity to blood draws [Frown]

I guess we will just have to go and bring music and snacks for after and hope for the best [Smile]

tick battler
Member # 21113

Icon 1 posted      Profile for tick battler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why not try the EMLA cream? It works like a charm and my three young children don't even know that a blood draw can hurt. It numbs the area and should be on at least an hour for it to be most effective. Can be on for longer I think.

tickbattler

Posts: 1763 | From Malvern, PA | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It may help to explain the awesome mechanics of it.

What a wonder this life blood is, and how important

it is. Get them interested in the science and

forget the symptoms. You could even offer to

practice at home to lose the anxiety of the draw.

Numbing the site is a great idea.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jkmom
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 14004

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jkmom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My 11.5 yo daughter used to have huge anxiety over blood draws. We used the Emla cream and offered a big incentive for it (usually a stuffed animal). She is still nervous but she almost likes getting it done now so she can get the stuffed animal. She has even done it without the numbing cream a couple of times.

In her case, she was mostly anxious thinking about it but once she was there, she didn't make a fuss for them. It was very difficult to get her to get out of the car, though.

Posts: 984 | From US | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Thanks everyone for all your help. [Smile]

jkmom, yes our daughter just doesn't like the whole process of drawing blood. It is never painful, but it is always difficult to get her there and back.

But maybe a little reward might ease the situation [Smile]

Shosty
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They don't do one tube for each test. One of my kids had 1 tubes, and that was considered extraordinary. My other daughter just had a huge list of tests and it was 7 tubes.

Emla is a good suggestion. If she is young, you could even skip the Emla and do your own "magic" by applying rubbing alcohol or something harmless, perhaps. The tech. could pretent to draw blood from the stuffed animal. Ice cream afterward-?

Does she have vaso-vagal syndrome? Some people faint at the sight of blood. It has to do with the vagal nerve. Just a thought.

Often, a lab has one person who is especially good with kids, and sometimes, as someone said, a care advocate is available to help.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
IckyTicky
Member # 21466

Icon 1 posted      Profile for IckyTicky     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it's at the Children's hospital they should have a cream that they can put on her arm that completely numbs it. My kids love that (my 6 yr old son being a hemophiliac and having to have lots of blood draws) Just request the numbing cream. They have to leave it on for at least 45 minutes though, but it works!

But mine (ages 6 and 8) are use to getting it drawn now at our LLMD every month, who does not use the cream.

So if she gets it done at the children's hospital with the cream then you can assure her that it won't hurt.

--------------------
IGM: 18+, 23+, 30+, 31+++, 34+, 39IND, 41++, 58+++, 66+, 83-93IND
IGG: 31+, 39IND, 41+
Also positive for Mycoplasma Pneumoniae and RMSF.
Whole family of 5 dx with Lyme.

Posts: 1014 | From Texas | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
2roads
Member # 4409

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2roads     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Jane,

Everyone had good answers.

Do have her drink a goodly sum of, preferably water, an hour before the draw. Just make sure she is not dehydrated.

My son started with the cream, and because it helped out, he grew to not be afraid of the shot....even if it turns out to be a bad draw.

Having it repeatedly done makes it less foreign, but I agree with the lab. Get the blood script done all at once. Usually when the needle is in, things go on auto pilot. Sometimes blood slows and things get hairy with more vials, but not usually. One stick is better then two for the same script.

Heck, my son even watches them put the needle in, collect the blood,and pull it out. He does not like the cotton ball with the bandaid, only the bandaid.

Remind her and yourself it is quick and necessary for good health.

Hugs,

2roads

Posts: 2214 | From West Chester, PA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Thanks so much for all the suggestions. They will be very helpful.
Hides1
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 6348

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hides1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My youngest son used to kick and scream before we got the coinfections udner control. It was a nightmare goign to get blood drawn.......he's a pro now thanks to MLA cream that Dr. J introduced to us. That stuff works like a charm for blood draws and bicillan shots!
Posts: 238 | From Bethlehem, PA | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
urpaige
Member # 16096

Icon 1 posted      Profile for urpaige     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My four year old had anxiety over it too. Especially the first half dozen times or so. We finally settled on Lidocane (sp?) cream, and an antianxiety med prior to going and I gave him only the necessary notice, so he had less time to worry about it.

I second lots of water, but I'd start a day ahead. We came back from a trip once where we didn't drink much the day before because we were in the car, and they could only get one tube, and told me, we'd need to rehydrate for the rest of the day, because trying again in an hour would not likely give his body time to make the blood amount needed. [Frown] It has happened twice that the first stick didn't give enough blood, but the second time he was dehydrated from a bacterial infection he'd developed in his GI tract so there wasn't as much as I could do to prevent that. My little guy has learned not looking works best for him. I hope it goes better for your daughter.

--------------------
Mom of Five - two had lyme and coinfections - one had RMSF - Still hoping for broader awareness of tick junk in general medical practitioners.

Posts: 79 | From Virginia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
peacemama
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 17666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for peacemama     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jane,

Have you tried rescue remedy or other flower essences? My kids have serious anxiety over stuff. . but not blood draws. The rescue remedy (or sometimes sweet chestnut) does wonders.

Let us know how it goes!

Can she text with the other hand with another lymie (my cute 13 year old son, perhaps) ; )

Or watch a movie looking in the other direction?

Bribe her with itunes gift cards?

I feel for you. . . wish I had a brilliant answer. But I think mine are darn good! : 0

Posts: 564 | From Tick Hell | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jane2904
Member # 15917

Thank you for all the great and very helpful suggestions.

I really appreciate all the replies [Smile]

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement