LymeNet Home LymeNet Home Page LymeNet Flash Discussion LymeNet Support Group Database LymeNet Literature Library LymeNet Legal Resources LymeNet Medical & Scientific Abstract Database LymeNet Newsletter Home Page LymeNet Recommended Books LymeNet Tick Pictures Search The LymeNet Site LymeNet Links LymeNet Frequently Asked Questions About The Lyme Disease Network LymeNet Menu

LymeNet on Facebook

LymeNet on Twitter

The Lyme Disease Network receives a commission from Amazon.com for each purchase originating from this site.

When purchasing from Amazon.com, please
click here first.

Thank you.

LymeNet Flash Discussion
Dedicated to the Bachmann Family

LymeNet needs your help:
LymeNet 2020 fund drive

The Lyme Disease Network is a non-profit organization funded by individual donations.

LymeNet Flash Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» LymeNet Flash » Questions and Discussion » Medical Questions » So what significance do the non-*'ed bands on WB have?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So what significance do the non-*'ed bands on WB have?
feelfit
Frequent Contributor (1K+ posts)
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are not Bb specific, but why are they there? What do they mean?

Anyone have info or articles to point me to?

Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dr C explains how each band represents one part of a spirochete. Some would HAVE to be from Lyme only...others can be common to other spirochetes, if I understand him correctly.

--------------------
--Lymetutu--
Opinions, not medical advice!

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Icon 1 posted      Profile for feelfit     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
okay, so why bother with the non-specific bands?
Posts: 3975 | From usa | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lymetoo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NOT sure!!! Where's the experts? [Razz]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

Posts: 96222 | From Texas | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pinelady
Frequent Contributor (5K+ posts)
Member # 18524

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pinelady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are many organisms that have flagellin. So it

is most likely there is a possibility those also

have the non significant bands. Maybe all carry

more common genetics than just flagellin.

--------------------
Suspected Lyme 07 Test neg One band migrating in IgG region
unable to identify.Igenex Jan.09IFA titer 1:40 IND
IgM neg pos
31 +++ 34 IND 39 IND 41 IND 83-93 +
DX:Neuroborreliosis

Posts: 5850 | From Kentucky | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

hummmm, still don't understand. Kitty would know.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

up... I wanna know!

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

feelfit
Member # 12770

still missing the point, air between my ears?
feelfit
Member # 12770

Okay, better. I get it now. Why does CDC use them though if they are not specific and really mean, well not much.

I really do want to know, there has to be reasoning. Maybe I have to look at the Dearborn convention outcome?

northstar
Member # 7911

Icon 1 posted      Profile for northstar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can find a copy of the Igenex report, the explanation is on the first page.

The starred bands are Igenex designations for their
bands. That is their "menu".They only require two positives in those 5 bands to qualify for reporting to CDC. The "menu" of five bands are
23-25, 31, 34, 39, 41.
The 31,34 bands are not on the CDC list (are these the vaccine bands?).

The unstarred bands are CDC bands, and actually include some that are not even on the CDC "menu", i.e. 22,73.

CDC menu of bands are 18, 23-25, 28, 30,39, 41, 45, 58, 66, 93. CDC require 5 of these 10 bands.

They (cdc/igx) share 23-25,39, 41.

There are two bands, 22, 73 that neither CDC nor Igenex mention, but are tested for, and I think the Igenex actually has more bands in the extended panels (?). I think 22 is considered close to 23, but dont know anything about 73.

The Igenex list is based on a reference to a 1989 study, but I cannot read it.

I am guessing CDC is based on Dearborn Conference?
Those are surveillance criteria though *despite IDSA delusions.

The Igenex report states that a positive WB by Igenex criteria is considered reportable. I dont know if that means to the State Dept. of Health, or to CDC. I would guess the individual state, who then filters out, and passes to CDC?

So, starred bands are Igenex.

And, Unstarred bands are CDC, but also includes the three Igenex starred 23-25,39,41.....
but does not include 22, 73 (mystery bands).

Gads...that must be clear as mud!

I think the perceived credibility problem by drs. is more a factor of IDSA brainwashing and the NYTimes article. Of course they would like to discredit igx.

Also, the vaccine bands are extremely specific. Perhaps CDC needed three more bands to total 5 bands because their bands were less specific?

(What the bands represent, i.e. OSP, heat shock proteins, etc), is covered under the references in previous postings. Some are very very specific, others can have cross reactivity.

Northstar

[ 11-07-2009, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: northstar ]

Posts: 1331 | From hither and yonder | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Okie dokie. I get it now! Thanks Chuck and Northstar.
terri3boys
LymeNet Contributor
Member # 12993

Icon 1 posted      Profile for terri3boys     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's really frustrating to have aprox. 90% of these bands show up positive, but not all on the same blood draw (at the same time, with the same lab test you send off........!)

I've had almost ALL of these bands show up positive at one time or another, but the most at one time was 4, instead of 5, to be considered positive by CDC or IGeneX standards.

I know that Lyme is a clinical dx as well, so I feel blessed to have woken up with that bullseye rash on my elbow along with the sudden increased physical sx. I had been dealing with most of these sx for years before this rash showed up, and had never been tested for Lyme ------ didn't even know what Lyme WAS!

Over the years, the positive bands (either/or both IgG and IgM) have just "moved" around on the lab tests. You wonder WHY they can't show up all at the same time, so you can be COUNTED FOR THE STATISTICS!!!!!!!

Anyway, I know it's hard to "catch" an antibody in one tube of blood, so I've sort of stopped caring as much about the lab results. Same goes for the spinal tap.

Someone here said it best when they said it was "like dipping a fishing net in a pond." That visual just sticks with me & I laugh, because it's true! Especially if the Lyme is already in your tissue!

I know I've got Lyme & some co-infections, and I'm dealing with them the best ways possible. Mix it all together with other health issues, as most of us do, and we've all got our plates full.

Everything sort of turns into a big pot of soup...........you stir it a tiny bit and something else rises to the top and you take care of that "ingredient." That's how I handle things at this point.

Although this post may not sound optimistic, I really AM keeping a positive attitude. I've changed my way of thinking by having a lot more faith and trust in God again. Things seemed to work out better that way.......I just forgot!

I've really started focusing more on ME and growing as a person, remembering who I was and where I was going before all of these dx's came along, enjoying my family and friends, and doing the most I can when I can do it. I'm much happier and feel so much lighter.

Everyday is not a picnic, but at least I'm not sitting in an ant pile anymore!

I know I got waaaaayyyyy off topic, but I just said what was on my mind. Sometimes you really have to take a GIANT step back, look at the BIG picture, get a little non-medical, and re-evaluate everything in your life.......which I did a while back and it has served me well.

Sorry for the long post. Just sharing my thoughts.

Take care, think great things, notice the small positive things, and be the best you can be no matter what is thrown at you.

Love,
terri3boys

Posts: 268 | From Texas | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
feelfit
Member # 12770

Hey Terri, thanks for sharing [Smile] Glad that you are enjoying those moments and doing what works for you.
Lymetoo
Member # 743

Good job, Terry!!

Now, feelfit .. you can explain all this to me later!! [lol]

--------------------
--Lymetutu--

btmb03
Unregistered

Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow Northstar, what a great explanation - I *finally* get it..well sort of! Great thread, thx feelfit!
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code� is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | LymeNet home page | Privacy Statement